“FANTASTIC TIME”

Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
Ranked #17 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I just got back home from the Riu.Everything about this resort was fantastic !We have been to many other resorts in and around Cancun in the past but this place beats them all .The staff was 1st class and worked very hard.For the few people that wrote not so flatering reviews about this resort ,your noses must be too far up in the air to see how nice this place is.Also the amount of people that do not tip these hard working people was very sad.We will definantly be back! Thanks to all

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Joe L
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I have been to Mexico before, and when we passed this hotel, thought it would be perfect for our wedding 3 years later we returned. The hotel its self is grand - almost like you travelled back in time. the service is faultless and the hotel is lovely. Now this is not the newest hotel but its clean. It has a great location, 10 mins walk to shops the main srip for clubs, bars and resturants. We stayed 17 Oct for two weeks on the 7th floor.

Room - Room was spacious and clean my only niggle was the beds, yes I said beds. There were two queen size beds pushed together. Thought this was a little crap as we were getting married there so would also been on our honeymoon and we were in seperate beds. We mentioned this to our REP and they offered to move us in a 3 days time but ment packing back up checking out, waiting 3 hours and then being moved to another room with a king size. Thought this was too much hassle so didn't bother. Also our wedding package mentioned e get a free upgrade, everyone we spoke to got a free upgrade - turns out you don't get any thing special. No fault of the hotel really, but we had a neighbour from hell, the sound really travels, and our neighbour had brought speakers with him, so we got woken up alot! He would slam doors and argue with his girlfriend a 3am.

Food - The food was great, lots of choice and always fresh. The waiters never leave your drink empty. The speciality resturants were lovely my favourites were Krystal, Mexican, and Italian. The speciality restaurants don't offer much selection - s if your a fussy eater you may stuggle there, but theres always the buffet. The steak restaurant gave me food poison - but I think it was the seafood they served there. They give you a platter of cold seafood and salad as standard - not something I would have chosen by choice.

Drinks - Free flowing, doesn't matter which bar your at. There are waiters going about topping you up and fetching you drinks, no matter the tip or not. The lobby bar was very easy to get drunk at as the barman would have a fresh drink when your half way finished with your current one.

Our wedding - Was perfect. The wedding planner Veronica was really nice and professional. She made it our perfect day. The service was romantic and hitch free. And the photos were amazing. Can't fault it.

All in all, it was a lovely hoilday. I would recommend and return here again, maybe for an anniversary?

2  Thank Stef_on_hoilday
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

As soon as you walk into the lobby you get the musky smell and its all thru the hotel even in the rooms. Service around the pool is great and fast. The Don what ever buffet was not good. Walked in they told us this area is closed and took us over to the other side of the restaurant. Food was ok nothing great. The shrimp was not fresh and over cooked. The waiter guy just walks around us like we were not there had to stop him ask for water. They say there open till 11 pm at 20 till 11they told pepole they were closed. They started to clean and put food away at 10:45. He made sure the Hispanic gentleman was taken care of. The bed not good feels like some very large person has been sleeping in it for years.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank hmq1962
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The resort was beautiful, and incredibly clean. The staff was constantly cleaning something. Disney World could take a lesson. I never saw a piece of trash or cigarette butt anywhere -- even in an ashtray! I was on the floor of our room doing some stretches and there wasn't even a speck of dust under the TV cabinet. The housekeeper left us towel animals and hershey kisses every night (we did tip him $2 every day). Housekeeping stopped by a second time every evening to replace any towels we'd used during the day. The staff were all very friendly. The sports and entertainment staff were especially nice. They either love their jobs or are very good at faking it. We tipped our pool waiter $5 after the first round of drinks each day and he was very attentive. He may have been anyway, but we figured he worked hard and deserved at least one tip a day from us.

As others have said, there was a musty odor in the lobby, but it was obviously not mildewed or moldy anywhere, so it didn't really bother me. Our room didn't smell at all, though after being in the closet for 6 days, my coat smelled rather like the lobby. I wondered why housekeeping opened the closet door every day. So keep your closet doors open!

Granted, we were there in November, but the resort was not full by any means, and we had no trouble making reservations in any of the "restaurants". However, after three nights, we skipped the rest. The food was horrid. The "Mexican" restaurant had fajitas, which are a Texan invention. They didn't have anything vegetarian, period, and no beans. WTH! The steak restaurant had no vegetarian option either. The steak was okay, but the potatoes and vegetables were overcooked and saturated with butter and cream. The Italian restaurant had a vegetarian pizza option, and everyone liked the chicken. We decided to eat at the buffet for our remaining nights, and the food there was much better. There is any and every kind of meat and seafood and fish you could ever want to eat, but if you are vegan, your pickings are pretty slim. The pasta station is decent and has a meatless sauce, and there is meatless pizza at every lunch and dinner (though it isn't vegan since it has cheese).

The breakfast buffet had a fabulous fresh fruit selection, and had vegetarian chiliquiles every morning. I had the refried beans, though they may have had lard in them (don't ask, don't tell was my policy). The guacamole at every meal was fabulous. There was an omelet station, and eggs of every kind. The salad bar at lunch and dinner was good, and the vegetables and greens on it tasted fresh. The desserts were all really bland, though the ice cream was good. We ordered room service once, in the late afternoon. It took about 90 minutes, and they forgot my salad dressing.

Dress in the restaurants was still pretty casual. A couple of the women in our group wore jeans with dressy tops, though the men wore khakis and collared shirts. Shorts and nice tops were okay for the dinner buffet, and at breakfast and lunch, you could wear your bathing suit and coverup.

We heard that you had to stake out your chair at the pool early, so we ran down there at 5:30am one morning. It was amazing how many of the chairs already had towels on them! However, since the resort wasn't crowded, we waited til 7am most mornings and were able to get ten chairs in a row where we wanted them. We participated in some of the games at the pool -- basketball contest, a drinking contest, water volleyball, beach volleyball, snorkeling, trivia -- all were pretty fun.

The entertainment at the resort was pretty lame, but the staff aren't professional dancers or anything, so it was okay. They had a band of traveling mariachi singers one night, and karaoke, and that was fun.

We took one excursion away from the resort -- with Samba Catamaran. We sailed to Isla de Las Mujeras. If you get seasick like I do, it wasn't worth the money, but if not, it was a fun day otherwise. We snorkeled and saw some great fish, "shopped" (which we would have preferred to skip), ate lunch at 2:45pm (wayyyy too late!), and had an hour or so to relax before heading back. They stopped in the middle to have a sort of parasailing-like experience. The staff worked hard to make the trip fun.

I wasn't super excited about this trip. As a non-drinker, all I could envision was Fort Lauderdale at spring break. However, it wasn't like that at all. There was a wide range of ages among the guests, and very little obvious drunkeness. I had taken some two-piece bathing suits and once I got there and saw all of the chubby people wearing bikinis,l I felt positively svelte and not self-conscious at all. Take a LOT of high SPF sunscreen though. In spite of re-applying every two hours, wearing a hat, and sitting in the shade most of the time, I still got tan shoulders and arms, and one area of sunburn on my back.

The gym was definitely not high tech. There were 3 bikes, four treadmills, and two ellipticals, as well as an assortment of rusty machines and one rack of dumbells. It wasn't crowded when I was there, though I heard it was busy when it opened at 7am.

I had a paraffin mani/pedi when I was there. Though the manicurist did a great job, the setting was less than stellar. The room was across from the gym, and I could hear grunting the entire time. No soft music, no drinks, no nice atmosphere, and no privacy -- at a cost of $117! I had misread the price sheet or I'd never have had it. It definitely wasn't worth that price.

We arrived before lunch, and they let us get into our bags so we could spend some time at the pool until our room was ready. Definitely take your suit, sunscreen, flip-flops, and cover-up in your carry-on.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the pool and the gulf and was perfect. We had the sliders shut at night, so I do...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank wife2abadge
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The first thing that hits you is the heat but you soon get used to it, the pools are warmer than a bath, rooms 5* having the Junior Suite makes it more luxurious, rooms always cleaned and fridge filled up, it you tip the waiter he will even put bottled beer in the fridge for you. We loved the square bar by the entertainment, the waiters are hilarious, talk to William he will look after you no bother. Hotel is on the beach so you can choose either to sunbath, there are no umbrellas on the beach so can get a bit hot, you are able to use the Riu Cancun next door as well. Hotel is amazingly clean, food was excellent, Lobster, Sirloin Steak, King Prawns, make friends with the chef and he will cook it just how you like it. The americans can be a bit loud but are funny and always want to make conversation. Had nails done, it was ok but not the best i've had done. Got the bus loads they come every 10 seconds literally, 40p per trip and go as far as you want but make sure you have the change. Did all the trips which all proved excellent value for money but don't book at the hotel as it's twice the price, all in all we loved it.

Room Tip: All rooms have a pool view but they will move you if your not happy.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank MONIQUEDAWS
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I just got back from this hotel, and the best thing I can say about it is that it is convenient: it's close to the nightclub area of Cancun, the ferry to Isla Mujeres, Las Islas shopping mall and Riu Palace Peninsula (you can use their facilities with any Riu wristband). The restaurants were decent, and the staff was nice. However, the ocean view room we stayed in was not what I expected. It had a mildewed smell, and, when I opened the drawers on the nightstands and dresser, I discovered the source. The "king-size" bed was actually two queen- or double-size beds pushed together under one headboard - this was the most disappointing part of the room. The bathroom looked nice, but the detachable showerhead wouldn't stay in place to take a comfortable shower, and it was very dark in the shower itself. As for the beach, it wasn't very expansive, as is the case for most resorts in this area of Cancun, and there was a lot of seaweed (in the mornings the staff picked up the seaweed that washed up on shore the night before).

4  Thank Terra C
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough! We stayed there from 22nd Oct-1st Nov 2012 and had a fantastic time. My previous experience of all inclusive hotels had been mediocre food with little variety and the drinks being cheap local brands and very limited. This wasn't the case at Riu Palace. The food in the buffet was very good quality with lots of variety. I'm a fussy eater and never failed to find something I liked. We also tried the a la carte restaurants and the food in all of them was also lovely. My favourite was the Japenese - the Chicken Teriyaki was lush! The drinks included were top brands and the cocktail list was great - I enjoyed trying the different ones with my faviourite being Sunrise! What really made the holiday was the staff in the hotel. Previous reviewers who complain about staff I can only imagine are the sort of people who are rude and obnoxious to the staff and therefore don't end up getting a great service! Every member of staff was polite and helpful and many went over and above! Daniel one of the waiters in the buffet restaurant was superb as was one of the guys who brought drinks when we were sat by the pool. The entertainment team work really hard to make your holiday fun. The best show we watched in the evening was the Mayan Show - don't miss this if it is on as the costumes are out of this world! The room was lovely - we had an ocean view. Bed was comfy and the maids kept our room spotless with the fridge fully stocked. The only reason I put 4 out of 5 for sleep quality was purely down to the noisy man in the room next to us who liked to slam doors in the early hours of the morning and regularly argued with his partner with one particular shouting match occuring at 4.30am!! We were on the 7th floor and other than our noisy neighbour there wasn't any other noise to cause problems. One reviewer commented on never seeing a senior member of staff or manager - again this is rubbish we regularly saw a manager who was often in the restaurants and other hotel areas checking things were running smoothly. Overall it was a fab holiday and we would most definitely stay here again. Also whilst we were staying we were celebrating our 1st wedding anniversary and we had a beautiful arrangement of swans and rose petals on our bed with a bottle of champagne and a fruit platter. This was way more than what we had from our honeymoon hotel! A big thank you to all the staff for making our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: Request an ocean view room if you can.
5  Thank K j