“Great Service, Mediocre Food”

Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
Ranked #17 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed January 22, 2012

My wife and I had our honeymoon here from 1/10 - 1/16 and had a very relaxing, fun vacation. There were few disappointments, and overall the great things about this place made the disappointments acceptable.

Great:
The beach on the property is awesome. Fine sand, gorgeous blue water, plenty of beach chairs, and fairly prompt drink service. Be careful of the small crops of rocks underwater. There are only a few to look out for, but I stubbed my toe on one. We walked the length of the beach across quite a few different resorts, and the Riu Palace Las Americas definitely has the best stretch of beach. Hands down.

The service is phenomenal. All staff was extremely attentive and genuinely friendly, giving advice about anything Cancun related, and even helped me with my Spanish.

Drinks are abundant and given to you with a smile anytime of day anywhere on the property. Plus, you have your own liquor dispenser in your room, and beers, soda and water in the mini fridge.

The location is central to everything Cancun. It's walking distance to all the "hot clubs" if you're into that. We personally avoided them like AIDS, but I could see how this would be an attraction for some folks. It's also within a quick bus ride or cab to downtown for some shopping or dining.

Not so great:
The food. The food. The food. We expected amazing Mexican food since we were in Mexico. Not the case. They really try for this gourmet, international menu, and fail fairly miserably. The fusion restaurant, Krystal, which was supposed to be the fanciest, most gourmet of the restaurants was a big disappointment. If you're expecting the same kind of high class food from restaurants back home that know what they're doing, you will undoubtedly want to eat off-property most the time you stay here. I'm sure they really try at Riu, but they either don't have the budget or the talent to pull off the dishes they shoot for. I'm really not a huge food snob at all. In fact, I would have loved cheap GOOD Mexican food. Most their food was Mexican't.

There are other very small criticisms, but they're really not worth mentioning. Instead, I'll just offer some insider tips.

1. Take the bus. It's pretty easy to navigate the Cancun area by bus, and costs about 64¢.

2. Get money from Banamex Bank across the street. The conversion to Pesos will be better than the conversion you'll get from shops and restaurants with your USD or credit cards.

3. The front desk can break large peso bills for you so you can ride the bus or do other things will small denominations.

4. If you're planning on hanging out on the beach, grab a towel before you go to breakfast and plant it on a beach chair to claim it. This seems to be common practice.

5. Eat off site. The food in the Cancun area is incredible, especially Mocambo, which is right down the street. Do yourself a favor and just go there for shrimp ceviche, and Mocambo margaritas (mandarin). Habaneros (KM 11.5) is also super good and cheap, if you love tacos. Avoid the tourist traps, i.e., Magaritaville, Bubba Gump Shrimp, etc. They overcharge and aren't that good. Venture downtown for more authentic flavor (and prices).

6. Don't let mariachi play at your table unless you're willing to pay per song. They have a price for their music, and you need to ask them what it is before they start so you aren't surprised when they ask for it when they're done.

7. Ask for help. Even if you only know basic Spanish, people are very willing to help out a foreigner who is lost. I relied on locals more than a couple times, and they were very kind. But...

8. Don't be a sucker. It seems like everyone has got a scam in Cancun. Be wary of strangers who start talking to you uninvited. Especially locals. Don't agree to go anywhere with anyone unless it has been planned through a tour company. Avoid timeshare ANYTHING. Don't fall for their "if you just come look around our property we'll give you free tickets to a show." I heard you'll get roped into a 6 hour presentation and only get the tickets if you buy something.

9. Don't stop to talk to the "information" people wearing badges at the airport. They work for timeshares and will rope you into "checking out" their property. Ignore them and go straight to your tour person or rental car agency. They can provide you with all the info you need.

Room Tip: Try to get a corner room if possible. The views are great and your balcony will be larger.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank steve y
Write a ReviewReviews (6,985)

Reviewed January 21, 2012

Our reason for going here was to attend a family wedding. I was struck by the cleanliness of the place and all the facilities. The staff was super friendly and always ready to help or answer questions. Being in Cancun there is a wide variety of day trips available at reasonable prices - never a dull moment. Be sure to choose a room with an ocean view. The food was excellent with good variety. Be sure to wear shoes or sandals with grippy soles as the terrazo type floors can be slippery when wet. My wife suffered an unfortunate fall and suffered a slight concussion and a head wound. She was wearing sandals with smooth soles. The staff paramedic responded swiftly and the ambulance paramedics were efficient in getting my wife to a hospital - very professional. The hospital service was extremely fast, efficient and first class. I suppose all this was possible because the hotel is in Cancun where top-notch medical facilities are close by. We spent the first two nights in hospital where we were treated like royalty. Whatever you do buy travel insurance from a reputable company and read the small print. The rest of our stay was very delightful and a wonderful time was had by all. I would certainly recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to go there again.

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view room on the upper floors. The ocean view is very refreshing in the mornings and...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank sharkster01
Reviewed January 19, 2012

My wife and I traveled here in February 2010. It was our first experience at an all-inclusive resort, which was a welcome surprise for me in that it turned out to be a great value for the money.

The first impression when walking through the door was that this place was stunning. The lobby was clean and open, and the opening out into the infinity pool was beautiful. The lounge bar was off to the side, and it was a cozy environment that was fun to hang out in. Drinks were good there; I just wish they had some sort of snack option other than just nuts.

The food was excellent and it had an ample variety of dining options. Our favorite was the asian restaurant, but you really can't go wrong with any of them.

The bartenders were very friendly and jovial, with good service the whole week. They will make you pretty much any cocktail you want. The only nitpicks I have with the drinks are that there is something slightly weird about drinking shots out of a plastic cafeteria cup, and that the only beer they have is dos equis. I like a lot more variety in my beer, but I've come to understand that it's common for it to be that way at all-inclusives.

I enjoyed the infinity pools as well as the hot tubs. They water was not overcrowded but we had to make sure to be out there early in the morning to reserve a chair. Same for the beach. The beach was small, but they had had some recent hurricane damage, so I am definitely willing to cut them some slack there, and it may be much better now that they've had some time to recover.

We visited the other Riu resorts during our stay, and were definitely glad we chose this one. Not that the other resorts were horrible or anything. This one was just better. The one next door did have a nice lunch option which was more casual.

I am a certified scuba diver, but my wife is not, and she took lessons next door and was going to try it with me. I think they did a good job with her even though she had ear pain on the actual dive and didn't go through with it. That's not anything wrong with the staff or the training. I would recommend trying it if you are thinking about it, because I enjoyed the dives I went on.

I would definitely recommend this resort to any couple who wants to have a great time and a great value for their money.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Brad R
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We stayed for one week...everything from check-in and through the week was top-notch.
The smiles are fab - the food is 1st class...the service is impecable.
We will be returning next year.
So many individuals who work at the Rui Palace stood out during our visit...from Fatima our cleaning lady - to Rigu the captain to William serving us at the beach...it was outstanding.
See you next year - !!!!!!
cheers.
M

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Mauricevan
Reviewed January 19, 2012

We just arrived home last evening from the Riu Las Americas in Cancun after spending a glorioius 5 days. Pick up at the airport was great, as we stepped out of the airport I could hear my name being called and we were taken to the hotel without any long wait.
When we checked in the staff was great, Damain was very efficient and friendly and took very good care of us. The check in staff always have a nice smile and a nice ¡Hola for patrons.
We went to the room and met up with my brother who had already arrived ahead of us.
Our room was very clean and in order as always.
We went down to the restaurant to have lunch and it was amazing, the wait staff are very attentive and always there to refill your drinks and bring you what you need. The floor manager is very nice and there to make sure you have a good time. Please be sure to tip your waiter to show them you appreciate good service.
We ate at the buffet each night as there is such a marvelous selection and again the wait staff here are wonderful, we did eat in the Italian restaurant and had wonderful service there too. We wanted to try the other restaurants but always forgot to make reservations, perhaps next time.
One thing I did notice here is the there is no heavy partying and loud boisterous annoying people and if there were they are corrected very quickly, something I appreciated very much.
We enjoyed a few days down on the beach relaxing and swimming, the waiters keep everyone hydrated on the beach.
We were so sad to leave but are already planning our return next year, or sooner if we don't get any snow up here in New England.

Muchas gracias to the staff for your wonderful kind service !!

Room Tip: All rooms are great and have an ocean view, then again how much time to you plan on sitting in your...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank lyndarobbie
Reviewed January 18, 2012

great hotel! make sure to book an ocean view room. i stayed at riu cancun six months ago and wow what a difference. the staff are very friendly. a lot of people complain about the smell, yea there is going to be an odor and this is b/c of the humidity in cancun. the buffet during dinner at riu cancun is better and you have access to it.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank cdoming4
Reviewed January 18, 2012

I can not imagine a better hotel experience than Riu Palace Las Americas in Cancun. We selected the all inclusive option and the staff were extremely attentive and provided us with drinks around the clock free of charge and tip. You can be in the lobby, by the pool or on the private beach and your every need will be attended to.

The swim up bar is great for those looking for a social experience while the main pool is quiet and great for relaxing or having a quiet dip.

We had a massage at the spa and the masseuse was one of the best we have ever had!

The restaurants are great and you will never go hungry! If you book at one of the restaurants and don't have enough to eat, then simply walk next door to the buffet and top up in there! If none of the restaurants in the hotel have what you are after then you can head to the sister hotel next door and eat there free of charge as well!

In terms of location it is right near popular clubs (if that's your thing) and it sits on the most pristine beach which is reserved to guests of the hotel. The beach is a perfect backdrop for one of the prime balcony rooms.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple