“Fabulous honeymoon”

Ranked #32 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Staffordshire
“Fabulous honeymoon”
Reviewed May 11, 2009

e stayed herefor 2 weeks and found everything fabulous. The hotel was spotless and the staff couldn't do enough for you. The choice of food was excellent. We did stay during the spring break 2 weeks (which we weren't aware of at the time) but although this meant the hotel was busier there were no distrubances at all. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who want a very good quality all inclusive hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank katielou369

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,356)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Cincinnati
Reviewed May 10, 2009

At the last minute, my daughter and I decided to go to Cancun over her spring break. We booked a package deal, and we chose to stay at Riu Cancun. I have been to Cancun many times, and this time I wanted a more protected beach area. This resort's beach is very calm as compared to the other Cancun resorts. The beach area is in a cove type of setting as compared to the open waters on most of the other resorts. When we first arrived at the resort, we were greeted warmly in the lobby. The lobby decor is beautiful - kind of a colonial Mexican decor. Our check in was efficiently handled. We were offered a drink as we were completing our registration. The room was very clean and quite roomy. We had an ocean view room, with a balcony, which I think is a standard room for this resort. This is an all inclusive resort. The food at the buffet style restaurant is incredible. There are three restaurants where reservations are required. We ate at two of those. The Brazilian style restaurant was excellent. The Japanese style restaurant was awful. In the morning, you must have the coffee - the coffee served at the restaurant is wonderful! The fresh juices are incredible. they have a delicious cactus and celery juice - very refreshing. Their banana smoothies - yummy! Anything you want for a morning juice mixture - they have! Omelets made to order; mexican food that is out of this world, poached eggs, eggs anyway that you want, breakfast meats of all sorts, fresh fruits, yogurts, just an amazing variety of fresh, great food. I will definitely return to this resort - very clean, great employees, and beautiful, immaculately maintained gardens/grounds. Lots of pool areas - you can chose if you want more seclusion or a party atmosphere at the pools. The resort is located across the street from one of the Cancun malls, and is within walking distance to some of the nightclubs and other restaurants. I have been worried about all of the hardworking residents of Cancun/Mexico since we returned from our trip. About three or four days after we returned from Mexico, we heard news of the swine flu outbreak. My heart goes out to all of the Mexicans who rely upon the tourism industry.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2009

i took my son for his 18th birthday to the riu cancun for 2 weekk on the 16th feb.he wanted to go to the carribbian and chose mexico because you could get out safely.

we got to the hotel and was greeted with juice and a cocktail or beer at check in,they got our name and room wrong but it was no problem in correcting the mistake,a couple of minutes.
room was clean,mini bar was full and only asked to be restocked on last night,which was done quickly.the ac worked fine and the view wow.
how people can complain about the food is beyond me,yes after 2 weeks can get a bit repetitive,but dont all all inclusive? thought it was fantastic.
drink? also thought was very good,staff were fantastic,juiantia(think thats how you spell it)looked after us big time,the lads in the sports bar also were brilliant,couldnt get my lad out of there.
trips,did the swimming with the dolphins which was an amazing experiance,and went on the pirate cruise,which was also a good night,plenty of food and drink.thomson pub crawl was also a good night to,probably all three excursions were overpriced and you would definately get them cheaper than thomsons outside the hotel but hey ho i was happy to go with thomson.

the downside of the cancun was as others have pointed out the sun disapears behind the hotel mid afternoon,and trying to get a sunbed on the beach or around the pool was hard unless you got up early.

entertainment,well to be honest was not my cup of tea but they worked so hard,who am i to pick fault.both me and my lad enjoyed sitting on the balcony with a beer or spirit with a cigar,thinking we were in heaven.
all in all a fantastic holiday,would i go back,yes and sure will do at some point.are there better hotels? yes they probably is,but go and enjoy,i want to,and will(hopefully)go back to the riu cancun very soon

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank jase116
atlanta ga
Reviewed May 9, 2009

The food at the hotel was not quality food for a resort. The offerings were the same each day.

The food was often dried out or scorched. lTHe problem I found was the method they used for keeping the food warm/hot. Instead of using warmers or steamers, they kept the food on the actual cook top (gas). This causes the food to burn and dry out. If you have ever been on cruise, then you will be sadly disappointed.

The salad bar was not always kept on cold slabs.

They didn't use seasonings or spices in their food.

The desserts were not very good (and we tried them all). They advertised 24 hour food available in the sports bar, however it is boxed sandwiches (and not very good ones at that).

When we arrived our room was supposed to be a king size bed, and when we compliaed because it was a doulble, all they said was "it's a nice room yes?"

The beds are hard especially compared to American hotels.

They advertise a well stocked refrigerator, however they never did refill our refrigerator even after several requests.

Remember to turn on your cell phone to international before you leave otherwise they will tell you one of their staff members can help you with that and send you to a side window. They can help you all right....to purchase a phone card which can only be used in the phone outside their hotel.

The staff is not very friendly at all. I don't care if they work at the front, in the restaurant,gift shop or bar. If you have ever been on cruise, then you will be sadly disappointed.

My husband and I are not big drinkers but even we knew the alcohol in the drinks was very light and watered down.

The all-inclusive is not necessarily the reason to purchase a vacation to this resort.

Don't expect good shopping because you won't find it here.

The only night life is for those who enjoy bar hopping and getting drunk

The fitness center was horrible and had equipment that was abou 10 - 15 years old. they only had 3 - 4 pieces with a couple weight machines

The Pro's - The gulf view rooms have a wonderful view of the ocean.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank lovetravelwithhubby
Springfield, Ma
Reviewed May 7, 2009

To start, I went with 5 girlfriends, most teaches who can only go during school vacation.
The airline rates sky roclket during this time so we get on deals on travel, this being said we paid a lot for this trip. Flight was good. Note Delta charges $150 any baggage over 50lbs. Also free headsets on the way down, $2.00 on way home. Go Figure.
Anyway arrived in Cancun to find only 5 of the 6 bags made the trip with us.
So now we spend more time in the airport. Next we go outside to get our Apple vacation ride to the RUI. We checked in and stood for what seemed a long time, we had to finally ask several times before they put us in a van and on our way.
Check was good we asked for three rooms near each other and got them. Thrid floor, view was not that good but better than nothing. Rooms did smell a little musty. I must say it was one of the UGLest rooms I ever stayed in. There is nothing here that gives you the "I'm at the Golden Apple resort" We did have a left over towel animal which stayed on the little table the whole week. We left a $20 bill the first day but only one day out of the whole week was anything special done to our room. One day we got flower petals around our sink. Nothing special going on here. Nice bar but no mixers to drink it with or extra glasses. No coffee maker either. I too had trouble with both the safe key and the door key. Drove me crazy. Woke each morning to find bottles chairs and other trash on the roof outside our room. Blame it on the wind? Nope drunks.
We spent the rest of the first day at the mall across the street looking for a cheap bathing suit for our friend who had no luggage. Note, always keep a suit and change of clothing in your carry on. Anyway all we found where cheap suit at $90 price tags. So my friend spent the first day and a half at the resort in a borrowed bathingsuit.
We had no trouble getting resturants. We aite at each and twice at the steakhouse.
Only thing wrong with the Brazilian was they brought veggies out first and then all the meats a little at at time. I like all my food at the same time. The Japan was very nice we really liked that. The steakhouse was good also. Our waiter was great he went to the bar and got us shots. He also came back with 2 bottles of champaine for one of my friends birthda and a cake..
We told the front desk that it was our friends birthday and they sent up a bottle of champaine and bowl of fruit , it was fun drinking out of bathroom glasses. But it was a nice thought.
This is what confused me, on Monday,and Tuesday at the beach we had a waiter who kept us in drinks all day. Then the rest of the time we had to get off our vacationing butts and go to the bar and get our own drinks. I saw the waiter picking up trash on the beach on another day but he did not speak English when I tried to find out why he wasn''t replace by another waiter on the other days. I enjoyed being waited on.
Every evening we went to the lobby bar and got a before dinnerr drink. Now we are not drinkers and I have since become hooked on chocolate martini's. So good.
The beach was the best part of the whole vacation. The water was so wonderful. My friends are here to sit in the sun and read and relax not really party so we where up early and got great beach seats. Sunned all day, ate, and took in the nightly show, then off to bed. The nightly shows where better than the shows at our last resort. We stayed for the pre-shows which where fun too. The staff where really fun. But since we spent most of our time at the beach and not the pool we didn't see much of them until the nightly show. I still have "Good, Good, very Good, WOW". running in my head.
Elevator wheer a mess. Hot &, slow. We where there when the people got stuck, and after that it was even worst. I think only one was working when we left. We did use the stairs most of the time. Also at check out, we ending up carrying our own bags down the stairs I even got help from another guest. Thanks.
Another thing I didn't like is you get a towel card each day you can pick up a clean towel and turn the dirty one in at night, but you can not pick up another clean towel, until the next day.
Now while it came to me, I will tell your the worst thing that happened. When we checked out, one of our friends put her towel card on the counter the clerk picked it up and put it away, then he got side tracked by a guest. When in got back to my friend he wanted the towel card and she said I put it here and you took it. he looked around and said he didn't. She again said yes i did and you put it away. he continued filing out a card and I swear he said "lier". My friend didn't say anything. I stood with my mouth open. I almost said what did you say but thought better, See I'm the big mount and I get in touble opening my mouth. Anyway he did not charge her the extra $20 for not returning the towel card so I didn't bud in. Out in the van, my friend said did you see he tried to say I didn't get him the towel card. I said did he say lier to you?. She said I thought he did too but couldn't believe me ears so I thought I hear wrong. She is the mother earth type and not much upsets her She wanted to go back in and talk to him but our van was leaving. I really believe I heard him call her a lier.
Saw tons of weddings being held at resort. Almost all had sea blue bridesmaid dress.
An few of us went on Joe's Jeep adventures which was awesome. Hey PEPE!
We also went on Capitan Hooks nightlly boat cruise. One thing the Apple lady did not tell us was there was an $8 per person dock fee. Because we did not want to carry money around we just brought enough for bus ride and tips. So we felt back when the tip money went to the port fee. It was alot of fun.
So what did I really think about the Rui? Very out dated rooms, great beach, incomsistance with the beach waiters. Food in buffet so, so. Best chocolate martini. Did give me the "You are special feeling" Isn't that what we want from our vacation?Would i stay there again. Don't think so. There are so many nice resorts out there, I won;'t go back to same resort anyway.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sarahsmom85
Pennsauken, New Jersey
Reviewed May 6, 2009

Everyone in our party is in their twenties to start,
-The rooms are comfortable and very clean. The hotel was clean, they literally had people cleaning 24/7.
-Some are alot bigger than others. The one I and my boyfriend received was larger than the one the other couple we were with were in.
Don't stay on the 12th floor. I didn't but I saw for myself. There is no view. If you ask for a different floor upon check in they are very understanding.
-I am a picky eater: the breakfast buffet was amazing (so many choices), lunch and dinner buffet were ok, the people I was with enjoyed it better.
-The Japanese resturant was great. We ate there twice.
-The other resturant I really don't remember so it couldnt be horrible
-The "club" they had was a joke of a club but did play music which was good. Just too small.
-The night entertainment was funny the one night I went.
-The staff were incredibly nice and understanding
-You get alot for what you paid for but I do recomend going snorkeling at Xa Ca. It's a long long drive but it's worth it.
- I don't have children but if you do it is a nice place to bring them. The staff create activities and games to keep them occupied during the day in the one pool. At night they include the kids in some of the entertainment.

Tips: Make sure to wake up early to make reservations for the resturants, they sell out quickly. Also, people put towels out around the beach so make sure you are up to claim your spot. Tipping constantly isn't neccessary but now and then is always nice. If you are looking to go clubbing, dont go to basic!!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jm852
Canada
Reviewed May 5, 2009

We stayed for a week starting April 15 just after most of the spring break crowd left. Forgive me if this review is long but, I think it provides an honest and worthwhile opinion.

Ok let's start from the beginning - If you have never been to Cancun like us, when you get off your plane you will wind your way through the airport concourse on your way downstairs to immigration. If the line is backed up anywhere near the bottom of the stairs; turn around and find one of the many snack/bar kiosks and get a drink/pop/water maybe 2 before rejoining the line! We arrived around 2:30pm and about 11 flights besides ours arrived around the same time it took us close to 2 hours to get through the airport! What everyone else says is true DO NOT STOP for the people in the airport, you will end up talking to the timeshare people and take even longer to get to your hotel, we saw many people make this mistake but we fortunately did not. The taxis or your tour operator will be OUTSIDE!
Check in at the Riu did take a bit of time; however more do to the obnoxious gentleman in front of us then the staff. There was a waitress that brought us a welcome drink and asked if we wanted anything else. The front desk staff apologized at least twice for the delay. The elevators are hot but relatively fast however DO NOT CROWD! It says 6 people max for a REASON! We heard a story from one of the quests about being stuck for an hour with 10 other people don't crowd and you will be fine. If you go down at 6 am the lobby and elevators will be a mess but it is amazing if you go down at 7am there will be an armada of cleaners scrubbing every corner with a smile and a HOLA!

About the rooms: We were on the 11th floor overlooking the lighthouse and the view was magnificent. The rooms were very clean and the maids did a wonderful job. Yes the two beds were pushed together and not a real king, they were firm but NOT hard unless you are used to one of the newer memory foam beds. Yes the rooms are a bit outdated and the TV is terrible; but if you go to spend time in your room STAY HOME! The walls are also thin so if you are a light sleeper like I am bring earplugs and you will be fine. When we arrived the room was very hot and the fridge was warm; however this was due to the previous occupants having turned the A/C down as far as it would go and turned the fridge off. After turning the A/C up to 18 degrees and turning the fridge on everything started to work fine. The florescent light in the bathroom did go out on the second morning but maintenace was there within the hour to fix it and the front desk called 2 hours later to check if it was done. The one negative is that the ice machine on our floor never worked properly despite maintenance's 2 attempts to fix it; but with the fridge in the room working we never really needed ice anyway and it became a running joke between my husband and I to check it every time we passed!

About the pools: Yes you had to get up to reserve a place and if you want sun past 5 pm then go up to the solarium on the top of the annex building you will get all the sun you want! If you want busy, crowded, noisy, activities and partying then hang out on the side with of the swim up bar for either the pool or beach. If your want quieter and more laid back with room to move then hang out on the side of the hotel facing the lighthouse.

About the bars: El Faro was our favourite, it was close to the quiet pool and easy to get drinks from. If you want your drinks to stay cold or a bigger size take insulated coffee mugs with you. The sports bar was not work the walk; it is dark and dingy with no view, unless you want to play pool or video games. The bartenders were all amazing and if you wanted more booze or better quality all you had to do is ask. We found out that the bartenders make $6 dollar a day to put up with a LOT of drunken tourist and they do it with respect and a smile and in some cases more class then the guests! I would like to give a shout out to Carlos he is a better man then some of the people he serves!

About the food: Please consider my husband is a chef and I am a MAJOR foodie! We ate at all 3 of the specialty restaurants once each and had no trouble making reservations on the day of or the day before for any of them except on the weekend. Of the 3 we found the best food was at the steakhouse, the Asian was hit or miss, and the Argentinean was terrible. The main buffet always had an amazing amount of choices some great some ok; but it’s a buffet eat what you like don't eat what you don't if you can't find a full meal that will pleases you then you are WAY to picky! On our next trio we would probably stick with the buffets. We found the outside restaurant La Mision best for lunch the fried chicken there is better then the main buffet and if you go all the way to the back the grill has steaks, ribs and chickens to die for.

Entertainment/Site seeing: We never visited the disco or the nightly entertainment; however the people watching is amazing and the happy hour that starts about 4pm at El Faro and the Lobby Bar was rocking. We did go deep sea fishing which I would not recommend unless you have a VERY good stomach, Dramamine, or like being sick! Needless to say after this we just wanted to sit by the pool and relax for the rest of our trip. However, if you do go out and come back with a sour stomach; and you have had the pleasure of previously meeting Sid (one of the gentlemen in the green vests) ask him for his miracle cure if he is gracious enough to make it for you will be better in 15 minutes MAX! The trip down to Wal-Mart for the cheap booze and cigarettes to take home is worth the trip on the bus (which are clean, cheap, and easy to use), but we found the souvenirs just as cheap with a better selection at the mall across the street. However, you do have to walk through the mall on the way back to get to the hotel (which is just a great excuse for us women to shop some more!).

To conclude, yes there are some problems but mostly we found them minor and easily fixed or ignored. No the hotel is not a 5 star by North American standards but it is still nice. The staff are all polite and helpful and while I am sure there can be problems, if you had to deal with some of the tourists these people do, for the pay they get I am sure there would be more bodies floating in the ocean! Tipping does help but so does politeness and respect. The moral of the story is treat others as you would like to be treated at all times even when drunk and on holidays!

We are already saving to return to the Riu Cancun next year! See you then Sid, Carlos, Luis and all the other wonderful people we met!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple