“RIU Cancun”

Ranked #32 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Chicago, Illinois
“RIU Cancun”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

The first day of our trip, the bathroom flushes were not working. We were told that there was a water supply probllem. Imagine that - thousand guets and not a single flush is working! Anyway the problem was apparently resolved by night but hotel staff did not know it was resolved.
Second, the beds are not the best. Cheap spring beds are not for you if you have back problems.
The wait staff is very courteous though.
Overall I wouldn't stay at this hotel again. Probably stay with the steady chains like the Hilton or Marriott or Ritz.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kris M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,341)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ottawa
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We were walking by the Cancun location and decided to look inside. On the far side of the lobby a security guard walked up and told us to get out, then escorted us out the door Classic Mexican service. We won't be trying it.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank mav256
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Stayed at Riu Cancun 10 days in December. I trusted all the good reviews about amazing food and great service, so I decided to give it a shot.

FOOD
Buffet - It's just bad. Not fresh, deep fried, same every day (Breakfast and Lunch).
Restaurants - even worse. Steak with butane flavor, extremely dry Brazilian and barely edible Japanese. We even skipped the rest of our restaurants reservations after trying the food.

SERVICE
I guess the most service we got is server keep calling me "princess", instead of doing his job.

CHECK IN
They practice group check in/ orientation where they check in 3-4 group of guests at the same time by one front desk person. They looked like they had no idea what are they doing. They mixed up our paperwork with somebody else, gave us the room with no balcony, no opening windows. After my complaining we were offered to change the room tomorrow. I insisted to change it today, they did. Then they mixed up safe key. Again - no apology, no smile - just as if it's normal. Forgot to mention that room and safe are actual keys. Room key even has room number scratched on it, so don't loose it :)

ROOM
Whole hotel smells like damp. From toiletries they only provide 2 bars of soap. It took me 3 front desk trips to get hangers for clothes, since room came with none. They said we can only get 3-4 hangers for 2 people. Walls were so thin that I heard phone ringing in the next room. I heard when they come back at 2 am, heard when they played music at night.

BEACH - sand is soft and white. But rocks can be annoying, since they are everywhere. Sun goes away around 2:30, but that location specific and due to the tall building.

ENTERTAINMENT
Entertainment group can not be less enthusiastic and seem like they really really don't want to be there. Night shows start at 10, which I would consider kind of late.

LOCATION
Location is walking distance to all clubs. Unless you plan to go out ($50-75 cover (open bar) each club) every day, location is not a big deal. Bus is going every 5 min 24 hours a day and very safe.

We made a trip to Riu Caribe and had a lunch there. Food was as disgusting as Riu Cancun and service was not better at all.

It was my first and last time in RIU Hotels. I'm shocked to read all those 5 start reviews after my not so pleasant stay in that resort.

Room Tip: Do not take room 1600, no balcony, no opening windows.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anna K
newport
Reviewed December 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 14 nights from the 27th November to 10th December. I had read many reviews before I went, I can't help it and have to say although most were positive, I was concerned by a few. I need not have been as I can honestly say this hotel was great value for money.

Staff - I have to start with the staff as they were amazing. All staff cannot do enough for you. I don't think I passed any member of staff that did not smile and greet us with an hola or a buenas Dias. This was waiters, bar staff, reception staff, pool guys, maids - everyone is so friendly. It was my husbands birthday whilst we were there. I had put up a few banners and balloons and when we returned to the room at the end of the day, the maid had tied up more balloons, made the bed differently and made a cake out of towels. Moments after discovering this the concierge came to the room with a card, fruit basket and bottle of bubbly. We thought this was an amazing touch.

Beach - I have read mixed reviews about the beach but the two they have I thought were lovely. White sand and turquoise water which is what i look for. There is one smaller one which we used during the morning as really this is the part for swimming. The larger beach is just as beautiful but there are large rocks in the water which makes swimming more difficult. If you like the sea though the small beach is perfect with plenty of loungers and space.

Pools - they have four pools including a pool bar. There were lots of loungers around all but just to warn you due to the high rise of the hotel the sun moves around throughout the day and some areas lose sun. This did not bother us at all. We used the quiet pool until about 1pm then when it lost sun moved to the larger beach. I like to spread my time between pool and beach so this was perfect for me. I found the pools and beach to be clean. In fact day and night there were staff cleaning everywhere.

Rooms - the rooms are dated, I believe they are having a refurb in may. That said, they look exactly like the pictures on their website so nobody should be surprised. The room was exactly as we expected. I thought they were very spacious and ours was spotlessly clean. Nice little balcony and a gorgeous view of the pool and beach.

Food - my husband and I are far from fussy eaters and so we loved the food. The Buffett restaurant does a different theme each day Monday to Sunday so whilst they always do the same foods like pizza, chips etc the themed nights mix it up. I love buffets as I like trying new things, and this did not bore me at all. We tried all three speciality restaurants (twice each) and all were good, although we agree the Japanese was our favourite, the food and set up was fabulous. Breakfast and lunch was also really good. We mainly ate lunch in the outdoor bar but there is more choice in the main restaurant. We found the food to be really nice and had no complaints about anything we ate.

Location - the location of this hotel is fantastic. You are in the heart of cancun here. We have stayed in riu caribe and moon palace but for location this wins out. We used the buses but having the one mall directly across the road and the forum with pubs and clubs 5 minutes away was great. The buses were extremely quick and easy so don't be afraid to use them. 9.50 pesos each and go up and down hotel zone every minute or so. We went to all malls and ate at hooters and bubba gump. Both were delicious.

Trips - we booked our trips with Thomson. People we knew went across the road where they said they were cheaper but for the trips we did we felt Thomson were good value. Chitzen itza with them was amazing as they leave super early so when you get there it is not too hot and its not too busy. Great for your pictures. Also the tour guide was the best one we have ever had on any holiday, extremely knowledgeable and very funny.

Overall this hotel and holiday was fantastic. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I can't see how people could be unhappy staying here. It is what it says on the tin and anybody who says the staff are rude (I read that) must not have been around the same ones we were. I would definitely stay here again without a doubt. Fabulous holiday and good value for money.

Just to say about tipping staff. Some do and some don't and from what we have seen here and other hotels in cancun, you get good service either way. We are good tippers as we firmly believe the staff deserve it as they work so hard, so whilst not expected it is really appreciated :)

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. We were on floor 9 and our view of beach and pool was amazing
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maria15
whitby
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Just returned from 2 week stay. Food varied and excellent quality. Service in all area,s 1st class.drink quality very good as was evening entertainment. Special mention to Sara (Thomson rep) who helped us out with a problem with one of our trips. Andy and allison

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank igorwhitby
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

The lactation was good, walking distance to free wifi ( Starbucks, chili's, Hard Rock Cafe ). Take the bus if you need to travel is only 1 US dollar. I was in room 1300 it gives a 180 degree view, ocean & lagoon. The staff are the most friendly & helpful ever.. The shows in the hotel are worth seeing and the buffet is amazing lots to pic from. The bed in my room wasn't out dated not real comfy & there is next to no beach area. But still a nice stay and I would recommend

• Stayed December 2013
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Great resort, food, bed and facilities! Beach was good. Is around the corner from straight clubs and long stretch of beach which was great for fun in waves etc. people all on hand to offer services if you choose. Getting bus was fine, n-27 runs every 25 mins in and out of town to hotel zone - to big shopping centre like u would find in the UK. This was a surprise considering what i saw around. Taxis are about 250 peso. If you want to go gay clubbing go to sexy's bar. N-27 there. Taxi back. Opens after 10, busier about 1am. Pay on door and even had gogo boys . Bit pricey. Table for 4 buy 1litre vokda 600 peso plus 100 peso for mixers and half price for next bottle of vodka. All in all great holiday - a few rainy days. Also be aware guests are not allowed in to different hotel chains so be careful if friends don't book the same hotel as you :)

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple