“July 2013” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Riu Cancun
Ranked #29 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
“July 2013”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We booked our trip in February of 2013 and I promised myself that I would write a review as soon as I got back (I traveled to the Riu Cancun with five friends July 1-7) because I spent ages reading all of the reviews on here (and stressing myself out).

So here you are...

1) First impressions: One of the nicest hotels on the strip. You land at the Cancun airport in what feels like a swamp or forest and you get a little worried. Then as you start driving things start looking up. By the time we arrived at the hotel we couldn't wait to get out of the car.

2) Beach: BEAUTIFUL! Amazing. We are beach people not pool people so this was wonderful for us. There are servers down on the beach to take your drink order and as long as you can ignore all of the folks walking up and down the beach trying to sell you stuff it is perfect.

3) Pools: Go early if you want a chair. Gets super crowded QUICK. Pretty crazy. Young crowd for sure. Everyone is wasted. Bartenders seemed stressed.

4) Bars: Muy bueno. Tip them and they love you. Always ask for an extra shot of rum in your pina colada. Or, if you're like my friend...ask for an extra shot and down it and then drink your pina colada.

5) Food: All inclusive buffet. It wasn't opened all the time but when it was opened it was really good. Like incredibly good. People who complain they served "the same thing every night" clearly don't know how to work a buffet. There was SO MUCH VARIETY. Food for everyone, every taste, every food restriction, etc. Don't stress about not having enough variety, I promise it's fine. Oh but the desserts sucked.

6) Rooms: Straight up "meh". You know -- metal keys (only one per room-- there were three of us!), dampness everywhere (nothing dries), uncomfortable small beds, etc. But it's okay because the AC worked fantastically and the view was unreal (our original room had an obstructed view so we asked to be moved) and the shower was hot. Besides how often are you really in your room when you go to Cancun? If you have time to assess the situation that thoroughly you aren't enjoying your vacation to the fullest.

7) Etc: Bookit.com was how we booked our trip and they were fine. We arranged round trip transfers through them (using Best Day Travel) which was definitely a good decision. Best Day also helped us book our excursions. We went to XPLOR (definitely go for ziplining/rafting/adventure day!) and a snorkel sail (Albatros...my friends who had never been loved it...I have been snorkeling before and thought it was OK...snob)

Please note: I got incredibly sick on my trip to Cancun. Not sure if it was the food/water at the hotel (I hope not!) or that time I accidentally brushed my teeth with the tap water but...INCREDIBLY sick. I powered through with a little help from my friends (pepto bismol and seltzer water) but it was no bueno.

Okay that's it, let me know if you have any additional questions. I also have millions of pictures.

Room Tip: High floor, unobstructed ocean view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank rachellynn831

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,310)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Houston, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our family of three stayed here for 5 nights. The food in the buffet was the highlight in this hotel. It had huge varieties, every night had a different theme, and even my 3 years old picky eater could find something to eat. We tried the a la carte restaurants, but still came back to the buffet afterwards because the food was better there.

The beach here had calm waves and we were able to play with our daughter in the waves without worrying about the undertow like other hotel beaches. There were 4 or 5 pools and they never seemed over crowded, and we could always find a lounge chair any time of the day.

Our room had a nice ocean view and a small balcony. It was big and clean, except the furniture and bed linen were kind of old and outdated. It also had a mildew smell that didn't go away the whole time we were there. If they can update their rooms we will prob go back next time, but at this point we prefer Beach Palace's rooms much better.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank San_Houston
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Rooms - Great views but the hotel and the rooms were all quite dated, yet we weren't complaining having only paid £1k for 11 nights inc flights. 11th floor has a great view, I would say anywhere from the 7th or 8th floor upwards would be nice. (There is about 14/15 floors). You can only face the sea as well, as nothing faces the other way.

Food - Enjoyable, buffet was better than the restaurants in my opinion, as the restaurants seemed to just echo the buffet, but only a small proportion of it. You don't need to wear trousers either, as most people in there were wearing shorts.

Drinks - A bit weak, yet still nice, nice to have them constantly delivered to the poolside as well by some of the waiters/waitresses

Maid service - Very good

Entertainment - The hotel entertainers were great fun, with good poolside entertainment!

Other - Jet Skiing through the hotel was also good fun, $65 for 40 minutes (Quoted time is 30 minutes)

Other - Would also strongly recommend swimming with Dolphins out there, great day out.

Room Tip: The higher, the better. There were about 14/15 floors and we were on the 11th. I would say anywhere...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank D- M
wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding in April and after reading some reviews on TA I was a bit concerned. I had no need to be worried we had a great time and would pick this hotel for a similar holiday in cancun.
I say similar because this hotel is at its best when you are a big group and you drink and party all day and night long! I wouldn't come here as a couple trying to relax! But if that's your thing as a couple then this is your place.
The hotel and our room was dated but it served the purpose, sleeping and showering! The room was always cleaned and the mini bar stocked every other day (I tipped the minibar guy and he filled it with water and diet coke as I didn't like the beer).
The food here was very good and the buffet never disappointed, the best restaurant IMO was the Japanese one, I regret just going the once!
The drinks in this place just flowed, frozen this, frozen that, beer, wine, shots...24h a day....OMG!
The entertainment around the pool area was fun and every other day they would serve food by the pool!
Avoid the pool bar unless you want to get seriously wasted, I learnt my lesson!
The staff here were excellent, they were all lovely!
The beach was amazing white powder sand and crystal clear sea! Stunning!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ultreen
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend & I have just returned from an excellent 2 week holiday in Riu Cancun!! Would return in a minute if I could!

The location of the hotel is probably ones of the best in Cancun if you want to be near all the night life - just a short 5 minutes walk away although you are advised to get a taxi home due to the police being corrupt & you are only in the taxi for seconds! They also charge you 100 Pessos which is about £5 but better to be safe than sorry! The hotel is also right on the beach which is beautiful!!! Looks just like the pictures!

The rooms in the hotel are good, nice & big! Plenty of cupboard space and a big bathroom! The only thing I didn't like about my room was the drawers didn't smell to pleasant this might just have been our room but wouldn't stop me going back wasn't a big issue! They have big TVs in the room with plenty of English channels! The rooms also have mini bars which are stocked every 2nd day but if you tip the guy stocking them up he will do it daily for you! They also have liquor dispensers! Another thing to point out dont loose your safe key they don't have spare keys we lost ours and they had to come and break the safe and give us a new lock with a charge of course about £45!!

There are 4 different pools a quiet one away from the entertainment then there is a swim up bar which is the noisy one full of people drinking then just next to this is the pool were all the entertainment happened we always lay at this as we loved to watch the games & my boyfriend always liked to participate. They played water polo, volleyball & various different games every day the entertainment staff for Riu are amazing!! So full of fun!! The other pool is round about this area too which is also really nice! & a jacquzzi up next to the quiet pool which is roasting!!!

The drinks are great you can request brands no problem! The cocktails are delicious especially the mixed ones not on the menu! Try a mango tango, superman or maimi vice!! Mmmmm! You can get waited on anywhere even by the pool and they don't push for a tip but its always nice to give them one!

There is 4 restaurants and a snack bar! The normal buffet restraunt has plenty of choice I'm pretty sure anyone will find something to eat!! The other restraunts you need to book the steak one is amazing!!! The Japanese even better!!! & the Brazilian we personally did not like but you can't please everyone!

If you are on holiday to head out at night the riu entertainment staff meet you at 10:45 at reception (after they perform a show for all guests which is really good they work hard) & they take you on a bus every night to a different night club! It's the best way to do it they give you a band and you get an open band it's about 600pessos each! This gives you a private section in the club with bottles of vodka etc on your table & anything you don't have the waiters will get you no problem! We went to daddy o's which was really good this is a Thursday! The city on a Friday (massive & amazing) coco bongos is Monday! This is the most amazing show ever!!! & Mandela beach party is a Tuesday great fun!! Had 2 swimming pools!

We booked all of our excursions through thomsons which were expensive but all worth every penny!! You could probably get them cheaper elsewhere but we felt safer getting them with thomsons! We done the dolphins platinum tour were you go to another island, swim with the dolphins (best experience ever) then you go to a nice beach were you can zip line & snorkel it's beautiful!!! This trip also includes transport on a catamaran! Another excursion we went on was Xplor!! If you like adventurous stuff then do this! 17 zip lines 3 water landings and a water flume! You also drive buggies through the jungle in and out caves! & get the chance to swim in the caves too! The pictures from all excursions are expensive but worth every penny for the memories!!

Don't let any bad reviews put you off! Yes the rooms aren't amazing but they are nice and to be fair you are hardly in it!!! & the hotel and beach makes up for it!!!

Can't wait to get back there!!

• Stayed June 2013
12 Thank stephanie1988
Beaumont, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

First off, I would like to mention that we have stayed in many Riu properties around the Carribean and this place is no different. There are three levels of Riu properties; Clubhotel, Hotel and Palace and this property falls in the 'Hotel' category.

The resort is great...not too large but not too small either. Location is great - Starbucks right across the street. Beach - well, yes there are rocky patches HOWEVER we all have to remember that a lot of beaches in the Cancun area have disappeared due to the hurricane that hit land a couple of years ago...it is not the resorts fault at all for this. Again, this is NOT a pool but a beach.

The food was as expected - buffet was as you always have at most Riu properties; the a la cart Steakhouse was good...never wanted for anything.

The rooms - we stayed in Room 1000 which is at the very very end of the hallway - we did have 'partial oceanview' and the terrace was quite small however due to the small terrace, our room actually was larger than others and because it is at the end of the hallway we had an extra window. Beds were are you will always find in the Mexico - hard but oddly comfortable.

Staff - never had any issues with any of the staff members, bartenders, servers or housekeeping.

Overall - as mentioned earlier, we have stayed in all three hotel categories before and if you are looking for a quiet and extremely peacful vacation the Palace Resorts would be better for you...if you are looking for fun atmosphere and activities - we would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tracey R
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Stayed at this hotel as a group of 6 adults in June. First 5 days glorious sunshine then lots of cloudy days and heavy rain.

On first arriving the hotel seemed very big. Once you get used to the layout you can appreciate the facilities. My boyfriend and I had booked a double room but were given a twin. When we spoke to reception the apologies and arranged for us to change the following day.

Rooms are clean spacious with big bathrooms. You get a stocked fridge and drinks octaves but unfortunately tea/coffee making.

Lots of sunbeds and umbrellas around the pool, beach has lots of sunbeds but very few umbrellas.

Food great, lots of choice although it does get a little repetitive after a few days. Not tried the themed restaurants yet. - I'm writing this review while still at the hotel.

Overall I would recommend this hotel, staff cant do enough for you, it's clean, friendly has a lively atmosphere,if you want it or quite spots if you want a bit of piece

• Stayed June 2013