We booked our trip in February of 2013 and I promised myself that I would write a review as soon as I got back (I traveled to the Riu Cancun with five friends July 1-7) because I spent ages reading all of the reviews on here (and stressing myself out).
So here you are...
1) First impressions: One of the nicest hotels on the strip. You land at the Cancun airport in what feels like a swamp or forest and you get a little worried. Then as you start driving things start looking up. By the time we arrived at the hotel we couldn't wait to get out of the car.
2) Beach: BEAUTIFUL! Amazing. We are beach people not pool people so this was wonderful for us. There are servers down on the beach to take your drink order and as long as you can ignore all of the folks walking up and down the beach trying to sell you stuff it is perfect.
3) Pools: Go early if you want a chair. Gets super crowded QUICK. Pretty crazy. Young crowd for sure. Everyone is wasted. Bartenders seemed stressed.
4) Bars: Muy bueno. Tip them and they love you. Always ask for an extra shot of rum in your pina colada. Or, if you're like my friend...ask for an extra shot and down it and then drink your pina colada.
5) Food: All inclusive buffet. It wasn't opened all the time but when it was opened it was really good. Like incredibly good. People who complain they served "the same thing every night" clearly don't know how to work a buffet. There was SO MUCH VARIETY. Food for everyone, every taste, every food restriction, etc. Don't stress about not having enough variety, I promise it's fine. Oh but the desserts sucked.
6) Rooms: Straight up "meh". You know -- metal keys (only one per room-- there were three of us!), dampness everywhere (nothing dries), uncomfortable small beds, etc. But it's okay because the AC worked fantastically and the view was unreal (our original room had an obstructed view so we asked to be moved) and the shower was hot. Besides how often are you really in your room when you go to Cancun? If you have time to assess the situation that thoroughly you aren't enjoying your vacation to the fullest.
7) Etc: Bookit.com was how we booked our trip and they were fine. We arranged round trip transfers through them (using Best Day Travel) which was definitely a good decision. Best Day also helped us book our excursions. We went to XPLOR (definitely go for ziplining/rafting/adventure day!) and a snorkel sail (Albatros...my friends who had never been loved it...I have been snorkeling before and thought it was OK...snob)
Please note: I got incredibly sick on my trip to Cancun. Not sure if it was the food/water at the hotel (I hope not!) or that time I accidentally brushed my teeth with the tap water but...INCREDIBLY sick. I powered through with a little help from my friends (pepto bismol and seltzer water) but it was no bueno.
Okay that's it, let me know if you have any additional questions. I also have millions of pictures.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in "Corazone", Cancun's resort area. 14-Storey main building and a 5-storey annex building. On the beachfront. Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. 20 M/65 ft. From a shopping centre. 10 Km/6.2 Miles from downtown Cancun. 20 Km/12.5 Miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Amex, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia and Despegar.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Cancun Hotel Cancun
- Riu Cancun Mexico
- Cancun Riu Hotel
- Rui Cancun