“top hotel! deffo reccommend”
Review of Hotel Riu Cancun

Hotel Riu Cancun
Ranked #32 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I went to Cancun with my mates in 2011 and stayed at Barcelo Costa, a year later i went back with my mrs and stayed at riu and it was amazing. food is brillant, choice and variety of different themed night was top notch. If i was to go back id deffo go back to riu. either with frinds or as a couple.
The hotel is perfect location for staggerin home from main strip (bout 5 min walk)
The entertainment isnt the best but then again... who come to cancun to stay and watch hotel entertainment?

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PaddyAdvice

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Although this is a little late I thought whilst I have just booked to go again in September I should share my honeymoon stay. My Husband and I travelled on the 12/07/2012 and we stayed for 14 nights. Looking at previous reviews it now worries me that people are being put of this hotel when really if you don't go you will be missing out.

Firstly the hotel its self is stunning and clean, the staff can not do enough for you, from the moment you step in the place til the moment you leave.

The rooms are big and clean, yes they might not be the most moderns room but they have a TV hairdryer mini bar electric clock and a safe, for me this is plenty! I don't spend my hard earned money to check out the decor! The aircon is brilliant and the maids do a fantastic job.

The food is fantastic and for people to say the food gets repetative can only be eating the same food each night. If this hotel didn't change the food and it was the same everynight you could still each something different eash night for three weeks there is that much choice, the best part for me was the omelettes on a morning. A chef takes your order and makes them while you wait.

The pools are fantastic yes the swim up bar does get noisy but if your on holiday you spend it as you wish and some like to have a few drinks :) If you would prefer to have a quiet time there is a quiet pool at the side of the hotel.

The entertainment staff must run on batteries they have the energy of a durecel bunny and never stop. They start at 9am and finish once they have taken the guests out to a local club so it is pretty late 2am maybe. Only name I can remember is Junior but there are a host of people making your stay as enjoyable as they can.

All in all I would recomend this to any one couples familys and singles, it is a well rounded hotel and can't wait for september to come so I can be there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank vic574
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The staff at the Riu Cancun made my vacation most enjoyable. Specifically staff members Joseph, Junior, Dani, Willy, and Samuel, among many others. They were energetic during the day and showed my friends and I what cancun was all about at night. Would go back solely to hang out with the staff members again.

Some cons would be that the bed sheets were very dewy and the walk from my room to the lobby if you were in the further tower was pretty far making it inconvenient at times.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This was my very first time in Mexico. I didn't know where to stay and just had to go by the pictures online. The staff was friendly, the drinks were good, the view was spectacular and the location was ideal.

RIU Cancun is close enough to walk to the bars (Coco Bongo – a must see/do) and there was a shopping mall right across the street. The staff spoke English so that was a plus. The food was average, but they had a huge variety. The rooms were outdated and the beds had plastic on them, but who spends that much time in their room anyway. They stock your fridge with beer and water and have four bottles of liquor (Tequila, Vodka, Rum & Whiskey). You get 90-mintues of free Wi-Fi every day in the lobby area and the beach was fantastic! They have games in the pool area every day and different restaurants to choose from at night, but be sure to make your reservations two-days in advance. The Japanese restaurant was my favorite! It was so fancy and the food was good too. The steakhouse I was not impressed with and I never got to try the Brazilian place.

They have a tiny dance club on site, which was nice so you didn’t have to leave the property. They also have a sports bar, which is open 24/7. Waiting for the elevator was quite a challenge some days. Be sure to hang your green service sign out if you want the maid to clean up your room and get new towels.

All in all I would stay here again in a heartbeat. I had a blast and surprisingly enough Americans were the minority at this location, but you get to meet people from all over the world. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the end of the building, don't get a room in the middle as you will have...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MichelleV6
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Another fantastic trip to the Riu Cancun!! The resort is beautiful and always being cleaned by the most friendly staff. We had a beautiful view and our room was great. Double sink counter and shower/bathtub, blowdryer. Wish the bathroom had the magnified mirror mounted on the wall. Plenty of drinks in the fridge and of course the liquor dispensers. Extra blankets in the closet came in handy. There's also an iron/board and safe in the closet. New flat screen tv's were great to get the daily forecast. Housekeeping was top notch (we tipped our gal daily). We had massages at the spa and those girls were excellent. Beach was clean (and has cocktail service) and there were plenty of chairs. If you want shade you will need to get up early and claim one of the palapas (they go fast). There is a quiet pool with beach and swimming at the opposite end of the main beach area. Next year we are going to hang out in that area. It's more relaxing, including the music. The other beach tends to be geared for the younger group. It's a longer walk to the restaurant for lunch but it's not a problem at all. The quiet side also has a bar for cocktails. Check-in was easy as was check-out. The servers were all friendly, especially Imer at dinner. We also had the specialty dinner at the restaurant on the beach very, very good..... the chicken was sooo good. Our last night was Caribbean night in the buffet restaurant. Lobster tails and shrimp. It was fantastic!! Can't wait to return!! Just an FYI keep the limit of people to 8 on the elevators (just like the sign says) trust me you DO NOT want to get stuck.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank sandhaji
Reviewed February 5, 2013

First, let me say that it took me a LONG time to decide which all-inclusive hotel to stay at. I narrowed my choice down because my wife wanted calm water, and since Riu Cancun is at the top of the '7' shaped peninsula, it is meant to have calm waters.

Now let's run down the fears that were instilled in me from other reviewers on this site:

- "The beds are damp! The floors are slick!"
I can say that the floors can feel a bit slick, but this does not bother me, as I'm looking out onto an amazing ocean view. It has something to do with the outside weather and the A/C. I didn't think the beds were damp, but a couple times there was some sensation of that. It may be due to the A/C again - but it is not worth mentioning. These are non-issues.

- "The food is bland!" "The drinks are watered down!"
If you know what to eat, the food is delicious. Personally, I loved all of the fresh vegetables and fruits, the fruit juice, the grilled fish, the guacamole, the eggs and bacon in the morning, and on and on. There is delicious, wonderful food here. Does it get a bit boring after a week? Sure. But it's so convenient, and if you mix it up a little, it remains delicious. If you came to Mexico for Pizza, you will leave dissapointed. Eat what they're known for.

- "The booze in the rooms is cheap crap!"
Well - if you plan to get knackered in your room, then good luck. Apparently you can request top-shelf bottles, but I'm sure it will cost a bit extra. I personally enjoyed the Dos Equis beers and sparkling waters.

OK so are you caught up so far?
Now the bad stuff:
- The swim-up pool is gross, because there's all these people in there drinking, and the bathrooms are a walk away. In other words, it's full of pee. If that doesn't bother you, then good luck to you.
- The jacuzzis are not very warm. There is one decent one, and it's located near the 'quiet' beach
- The walls of the hotel are pretty thin. I could hear my neighbor's TV. I had to use earplugs one night.
- The restaurants, other than the Japanese, are not very good. And the Japanese doesn't serve any raw fish, as I was hoping for.
- Don't buy tours from anyone in the hotel! Buy your tours at the mall or on the street, across the street. Beware the tour salespeople, it's a huge rip-off.
- The ocean on the hotel property has a lot of rocks. For great swimming you must walk down a bit, but this wasn't a big deal to my wife and I.

Great stuff:
- Loved having the food there so conveniently, loved the mixed drinks (Pina Colada!), LOVED the ocean view of the bedroom... Just an EASY, RELAXING vacation.
- The service is so friendly. Bring lots of $1 bills to tip your servers and your maid. They deserve it!
- The hotel is very well located. You can walk outside to the bars, the mall, the shops, etc.
- The pool overlooking the ocean is quite nice
- There is plenty sun until 3 or 4, and then you can just walk down the beach if you need more.

In conclusion: If you're unsure of whether or not you should stay here because of "outdated rooms" and "bad food", then just trust me that you should stay here. I had a great trip. It's a great deal, it's a nice hotel, and I was very happy here. The view from your room is INCREDIBLE. The rooms aren't that impressive, if you're looking for luxurious, fancy room, then prepare to spend a lot more to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank SGnyc12
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I've stayed at a Riu Palace in Los Cabos about 6 months before this and this isn't the same so set expectations accordingly.

The food is very good, pools very nice, staff very friendly and helpful. Expect kids and teenagers and a bit lower service than a "Palace". Specialty restaurants are just ok and there's no room service. The beach was not very long to the ocean although the sand is white and silky.

Rooms are basic with booze stocked in the fridge. Maid service is really late in the day (sometimes near 5 pm) which we didn't like. Also, we found he beds very hard and lined with some type of plastic beneath the sheets (noisy when you move). Pillows were also well used and flat.

Last complaint (from my wife) is bathrooms are not conveniently located so you may need to walk a bit to find a restroom.

Like most Mexican tourist traps keep a bunch of tip money on you as they're always looking for a helping handout -whether you need it or not.

Room Tip: At checkin they placed my wife and I in a two twin bed room (which we learned upon entry). We immedi...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple