“Best Holiday Ever!!!”

Ranked #32 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Best Holiday Ever!!!”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I'm a bit late in sending in this review! We stayed at the Riu Cancun in April and I can honestly say this was the best holiday ever. There was a group of 20 of us who visited as we got married at the Riu Cancun. The age range our our group was from age 1 to age 70. Everyone who went thought the hotel was brilliant and couldn't fault it.
After reading some reviews on here, there are a few complaints regarding the rooms. I will agree that the rooms are slightly outdated, however they are kept very clean like the rest of the hotel. However I don't go on holiday to sit in my room all day and night so I didn't see this as an issue. Our room had two queen size beds in there, a TV, phone, hairdryer and mini bar. The mini bar is all free and stocked every couple of days. In there you get bottled water, bottles of pepsi and a few other things. This is all free and part of your all inclusive package! There are also bottles of spirits in your room. There was about 3 or 4 different bottles, one being a bottle of vodka! These are also stocked every couple of days if you manage to drink all of it!! One thing I would say is don't let people's poor reviews of the rooms put you off staying at this hotel. They are really not as bad as some people on here are making out!
The hotel staff are brilliant, they are all so friendly and can't do enough to help you. In the main bar they were always bringing you drinks before you had even finished the last one! Not sure if she still works there, but one lady called Wilma was brilliant with us, an excellent member of staff!
The food certainly needs mentioning. It was outstanding! There is so much choice that it would be almost impossible not to find something that you would like! We had a couple of fussy eaters in our group and a 1 year old and no one had any issues with the food. The steak house served gorgeous food. Make sure you book in to this restaurant think its a couple of days in advance you need to book and you do this at reception. Outside of meal times you can get ice cream from the restaurant during the day and the sports bar also has burgers, hotdogs, salads and sandwiches 24 hours a day. When this hotel says 24 hour all inclusive, that is exactly what it means! You will certainly never go hungry here!! Oh this also includes alcohol!
There is a nightclub in the hotel, its quite small but its still a good night in there. There is lots of entertainment on in the hotel ranging from aqua aerobics in the 'sports' pool during the day or performances in the theatre area on an evening.
Don't underestimate the prime location of this hotel. You couldn't really be in a better location. No need to worry about paying taxi fares to get to the main clubs area in Cancun, they are in walking distance. This includes clubs like Coco Bongo's. There is also a small shopping centre across the road from the hotel, this has a Starbucks in there and a HSBC bank. There are also a few other shops!
There are 4 pools in this hotel. There is a 'quiet' pool as we called it, a pool bar, a 'sports' pool and an additional pool. You also have the beach area, yes the beach isn't very wide but its more than adequate enough. The sea is clear and clean. All the pools are clean and the areas surrounding them are too.
If you are planning on getting married here then I would recommend it. The wedding planner was great and did extra things which I asked like decorate the gazebo with our decorations which we brought from home.
Overall this was a fantastic holiday and wedding and everyone loved every minute of it! Loved this so much that we are going back there in April! Cant wait!!!

Room Tip: If you don't like heights, when booking request a low room. We were first places on the 14th flo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank Carlene A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,354)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
wales
Reviewed January 12, 2013

hi my husband and i have been back again to this hotel and it is so good we went with our friends and had another great time you have to be care ful when you get out f the shower because the floors are very slippy but apart from that it is a great hotel the food is very good lots to choose from because i am a very funny eater but there was plenty of choice there are some great shops just over the road from the hotel and the buses are right outside and they go downtown every few minutes and it is the same price where ever you go it is very cheap ans there is a lot more shops in there so if its raining its a good place to go for us women there is a nice place to go shopping outside and when you get on the bus you just ask for planet hollywood and they willl tell you when to get off and its lovley there i hope this will help you oh and look out for jacob he is a porter there he is so good i hope this helps you

Room Tip: get a room on a high floor you get a good view most of the rooms look over the sea
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank minnie076
Da Lat, Vietnam
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We went for 4 days and we just drank and ate and drank and ate, if tHats what you are looking for its a great place but if you want to explore Mexico I would go cheaper because its quite an expensive area but food was great and loved it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Apjane
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed for 2 weeks over christmas and new year. Had a very enjoyable holiday.

On arrival we were given refreshments which was greatly appreciated after a long journey and check in was quite quick and made feel very welcome by one of the hotel staff.

Have no major complaints about any of the hotel at all, just a couple of minor ones.

The rooms were fine, had a lovely view overlooking one of the swimming pools and the beach, room kept very clean by the cleaning staff and very quickly as well most mornings my husband and I would go for breakfast and return to the room for our things for the pool/beach and the room was cleaned. Pleanty storage space for clothes, good sized room and bathroom with 2 sinks, 4 bottles of spirits on optics and a fridge full of beers, water and soft drinks. Only complaint I have about the room that it was a bit damp, other than that, no other issues. The room also has a safe, iron, ironing board and hairdrier.

The food was really good, we ate only at the buffet resaraunt but found there was plenty choice each sitting, there was a different theme on every night over 7 days. There is also brazilian, steak and chinese/japanese restaraunts within the hotel, these require tables to be booked 2 days in advance. Being over for the festives, there were dinners on christmas eve and new years eve, which had 2 sittings in 2 restaraunts, the food was really good and a great effort was made by staff to ensure guests enjoyed themselves, only thing I didnt like about these meals were it was far too busy and the queues were long for food. There is also snacks available 24 hours a day at the sports bar.

Entertainment during the day was good and the entertainment staff tried to get guests to join in but there was no pressure, the entertainment staff were very friendly and made a really good effort with the guests, they even walked round the poolside talking to guests and finding out about them, which I thought was really nice, and they never forgot names either. There are various activities available each day starting for about 10am untill late afternoon. There was shows on each night as well, we never went so can't comment on that. There is also a kids club available which offers a lot of activities, I dont have any children but the children I did see around the hotel seemed to enjoy what they were doing. On christmas day the kids had a visit from santa, he walked up the beach, got on a jet ski went up the beach a bit and came in at one of the sides of the the hotel and spent some time with the kids and gave them gifts, which I thought was really nice. There was also entertainment on beside the pools on new years eve but as we never went I cant comment on that but the hotel seemed to have went to alot of effort, there was a stage set up and there were also a few balloon arches and lots of balloons around.

The pool area was nice, there is 4 pools at the hotel, 1 of which is a swim up bar. There are plenty sunloungers available but you need to be early to get a good one, the sun disappears from the hotel between 2.00-2.30pm and the best beds are beside the white railings facing the beach, there are also plenty sunbeds available on the beach, one side of the beach does have a lot of rock though. What I didnt like about the pool area was that the sun loungers were all cramped together with people moving them to get good spots for the sun so it felt as though people were lying on you, but we did find a good area that wasnt so bad. I will say though, we experienced a family taking the beds we had chosen for the day, my husband and I laid our towels down, went for a drink, so we were gone only minutes and when we came back our the beds we had were taken by another family! As well as hotel towels we had our own, our stuff was just dumped on another bed! They tried to say that someone from the hotel had taken our towels and moved our belongings and that family just settled down there as the beds were now free!! Which was very hard to believe given we were only gone minutes!! One of the guys in the family said he had reserved four beds for his family but yet he had 6 towels so they had clearly just taken the loungers and our towels! This also happened to another family when they were away for lunch. So beware incase it happens to you!!

There is a large lounge bar in the hotel that serves alcohol most of the day and night, you can also get nachos and there is also a coffee machine available, there is also a bar outside as well, the sports bar serves 24 hrs a day, handy if you want a drink before bed after a night out or something to eat. The hotel also has a club, unsure what it is like as we never went.

We travelled with thomson/first choice and we had 2 reps, an english girl called elaine and a mexican guy whos name I cant remember, we didnt need to deal with them at all apart from when we book excursions but found them both really helpfull and gave honest opinions when asked about any excursions.

The staff at the hotel from cleaners to waiters that we dealt with were all really friendly, have nothing bad to say about any of them.

Over all we really enjoyed our stay at the hotel and would return. I have read many bad reviews on here and im my own opinion feel these people are being far too picky and fussy. I have stated the minor issues we had but I wouldnt totally put the hotel down for it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
16 Thank L22tas
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for New Years Eve last year. It was a really good time. It has a small club located inside the hotel opened till around 2/3am as well as a 24 hour lounge, which was my favorite part! The lounge area has a sports bar theme and is a great place to go after the bars. The clubs (Coco Bongos, The City, etc... are located within a 5 min. walk away so the hotel has a great location!) The beach could be larger and the food could be better but still a great bargain for what youre paying to stay there. The staff make up for the food and beach as they are great and go out of there way to make sure youre enjoying youself. Make resevations at the restaurants or just hit the buffet. The hotel is gigantic and amazingly it's clean for being so large. The hotel has a younger crowd and that's great as we are in our mid 20's but it has a good blend of different aged people. Overall, Stay here and you'll enjoy it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank JohnnyI312
Kent
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This review is a bit late (nearly a year) but i always feel i need to contribute my thoughts, and by the looks of the last few reviews maybe standards have slipped since we were there, which is dissapointing as we loved it.

My partner and i, both in our early twentys wanted a party / relaxing holiday so thought mexico for spring break, and we honestly loved it.

The hotel - yes its not a 5 star luxury hotel but it does the best it can. The hotel is impressive and the rooms are kept clean and tidy.

The staff are fantastic, especially the bar staff, by the 2nd week they knew our faces and knew what drink we would want even before we sat down - now that is service. Also, if you are young, they do like to challenge you with an array of shots - which turned out to be a great laugh. I cant big up the staff by the pool and beach enough, constantly walking up and down to the beach to get you drinks while you lay there relaxing - seriously they are hard workers and deserve alot of praise.

The food is PLENTIFUL and sooooo much choice, every day we would look forward to what theme they had on. Yea by the end of the holiday you cant wait for a good old english cooked meal - but thats always the case with 2 week all inclusive food. Again the waiters and waitresses are quick to get you a drink etc so cant fault that either.

The inhouse restaurants are fantastic, think there is three and we ate at 2. The Japanese one is a must - the food and service was fantastic. The brazilian one - WOW, litterally i was in a food coma after that meal, it was immense.

Excursions and trips - we did a few of the pub crawls which are great, the young reps know where to take you and know the best deals, so see whats on offer, especially if you want to see the COCO BONGO SHOW which is a MUST for everyone - even the older married couple we were with that night thoroughly enjoyed it and the drinks flow all night. The clubs are great if you are into that, can be squashy but thats at the height of spring break with all the americans - who btw cant handle their drink so just be aware of their muppet behaviour at times, harmless obviously.

Mayan trip - the bf and i do like a bit of culture and history so this was a must do trip, can be a bit boring with all the history talk but once you are let off to climb the 'tombs' its impressive (you do end up very tired by the end of it). We also got a coach down to playa del carmen, which took just under an hour - it was good to see more of mexico, however i dont rate the beach at all down there, but the shopping is good and it was something different.

Steak and lobster night boat trip - this is a MUST. my bf booked to do this to treat me for a romantic night and at first we were laughing at the thought of it as we saw the boat dock and all couples came off holding hands and looking so in love it was funny. But i can honestly say it was great, the drinks flow all night, theres a jazz player on the saxerphone and the food, well WOW - absolutely amazing. We had a steak and lobster dinner and it was honestly up there with the best. It was such a lovely ambience and cringly you do end up getting all lovey by the end - i swear they put something in my drink ;) hehe - but if your looking for something different and like a bit of romance - go for it.

Pirate boat trip - also another must do trip, its fantastic fun for kids and even adults. Food and drinks are great and the show they put on is fantastic. Gutted we got a bit drunk and left our pirate pic on the boat :( that will teach us lol.

We also had a walk down to the other riu, further along the shore and it isnt until you see that hotel that you begin the think 'glad we picked our hotel'.

We also walked down to the bubba gump restaurant which is great fun and something different - the portions are crazy and again i found myself in a food coma, but the walk there atleast burnt off some of what we ate.

Location is perfect as you are right near the strip so easy to get to the bars and clubs etc.
I was however a bit dissapointed with the amount of sun the hotel got. I am a sun worshipper and unfortunaterly by half 3 in the afternoon the sun was dissapearing which is a bit annoying.

All in all, it was a fantastic trip, all i will say is, if you are an older couple - dont stay here in march (spring break) as there are alot of americans who stay here.

Hope this review gives an insight of a varied trip :-)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Vic-Zee
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed in Riu Cancun in the beginning of December 2012. Having been to Playa del Carmen twice on previous holidays, we wanted to try Cancun this time. If you come for the night life, this is great. If you come for the beach, I suggest go to Playa del Carmen instead.
The hotel looks impressive on the outside. Check-in was easy, we were given a room on the fourth floor. To get a better sea view I would recommend staying on one of the higher floors, as the view is somewhat restricted by the roof down below. The rooms are good size but in need of upgrade. Especially the bathroom. We had a cracked sink, the enamel on the bath tub was very worn out and the shower was leaking. We asked the reception to have the shower replaced, but they failed to do it in the two weeks we were there. This is definitely not the 5 stars hotel they are trying to pretend they are.
We had to call the reception one night because of drunken people shouting on the corridor at 3AM. The hotel security also had to intervene on one occasion when drunken teenagers were about to start a fight in the swimming pool. Some people do not know when to stop drinking, if it's all inclusive, then they are trying to drink as much as they can. One drunken teenager had to be taken by ambulance, as he was in an alcoholic coma. As a non drinker, this all makes the experience less enjoyable.
The swimming pools are nice, two of them heated, a third one not heated and we have not even tried the fourth one. My wife was very disappointed by the beach in front of the hotel. I believe the pictures they advertise were taken a few years back, when it was a lot bigger. It certainly doesn't look like the pictures we've seen on the Riu website. It seems the sand has been washed out by the sea, so you only get a couple of meters of sand in some places. The sun loungers are pretty old, crowded, and many people wake up really early to occupy the best spots. Because of the position of the hotel, some parts of the swimming pools and beach are in the shade starting with 12-1PM. By about 3.15 PM the sun has disappeared completely behind the hotel (in December, during the summer when days are longer it is different). The sea is full of rocks, they seem to have been thrown there when there were some demolition works. There is a lot of rubble. I snorkled in front of the hotel and was unpleasantly surprised by what was thrown in the sea. Corals have started growing on some of the rocks and you see some fish, but it is not a very pleasant view. We found a much nicer wider beach about 10 minutes away from the hotel, mostly empty, we did not want to be like sardines on the narrow beach in front of the hotel.
The hotel amenities are kept pretty clean, which is good to see. The food was great, although they seem to lack people to serve, as it took sometimes ages for someone to come and take away the plates or offer you water. Tables were not cleaned for quite some time after guests finished eating, and sometimes it was hard to find a table for two which has already been set with all the cutlery and glasses. We used to go and get our own drinks, were not too bothered by this, but this didn't use to happen before at other Riu hotels we've been.
A real negative point I want to stress, and I also left feedback with the hotel, was the internet connection. Thomson advertise 'internet connection in the lounge' when you book the holiday, and it used to be the case with all the other Riu hotels. The speed was not great, but at least you could check your email whenever you needed. Now they changed it, allowing you 90 minutes per day, but 'in one session'. Meaning that if you log on in the morning, you cannot log on until the next morning. And they also blocked most ports, apart from port 80, so Outlook is out of the question, checking my IP cameras at home was a no-no, which was very frustrating. Of course, if you paid for their overpriced 'full internet', they give you all of this. So I went and purchased a prepaid SIM card with 500MB of traffic for $25 and I had internet anywhere I went. And the area where you can get a good wifi signal is quite limited, they seem to have only one access point which is located at the reception desk. If you go to the other side of the lounge, the connection is so poor, you might as well give up browsing.
The Thomson rep was not very helpful, this was our fifth holiday with Thomson in 3 years, and we think the standards have been falling year after year.
We asked to be moved to a different hotel on the first day we arrived, as my wife was very disappointed with the narrow beach. We were quoted almost 2000 USD to be moved to a hotel which was worse than this one. We checked trip advisor reviews of the hotel she found availability and they were abysmal. We asked to go to Riu Yucatan in Playa del Carmen, as we stayed there before and liked the place. The rep told us there are refurbishment works at a hotel nearby and lots of tourists from there asked to be moved to Cancun, because of the noise and dust. When we insisted, she told us that Riu Yucatan was full and could not move us there. What, with all the tourists running away because of the dust and noise? In the end we gave up and stayed here, but the treatment we got will make us think twice next time. They need to review their attitude to their customers, especially customers who have repeatedly booked holidays with them. Presently, it seems like they are deliberately trying to lose customers.
We think we will try a different tour operator for our next holiday, as we did not feel valued as customers, especially by the holiday rep. The Thomson airplanes feel like low cost airline planes. Food is rather terrible on the plane, and they are trying to make extra money by selling you tea/coffee and water, which should be free. We also think the Riu standards are falling, they are giving you less and less value for the money. We are most likely not going to use Riu hotels again, time to try some quality hotels, even if we will pay more.

Room Tip: For a better view, a higher floor is recommended, but sometimes waiting for the lifts to come can be...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple