Hello everyone, i would just like to say in the first sentence here that i scrolled through these reviews and read the bad ones and though " yah some people have bad experiences its still a good hotel" or " they are most likely over exaggerating".
This is a completely honest review.
IF YOU WANT TO SKIP TO THE MAIN PROBLEM OF BUGS REFER TO NUMBER 6. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE A LIST OF ALL THE PROBLEMS I CAME ACROSS, READ ALL!
1) when we arrived we were greeted with drinks which i did like, so far so good, we walked up to the counter and got our room KEY. By room key i mean a literal key not a card. WHAT KIND OF 5 STAR HAS A LITERAL KEY TO OPEN THE DOOR?!
2) after settling in i noticed the green outdated furniture that turned me off right away. BUT they have bottles of booze in the room so the furniture wont matter after a few tequilas.
3) We went to go make reservations at the customer service area. They told us reservations are for 2 days in advance. We had to eat the buffet the first two nights. Slightly annoying but i can understand.
4) One night we came back from our a la cart later than expected and we did not get a good seat in the theater, when i say we didnt get a good seat i mean we were facing the side of the stage way at the back to the point YOU CANT EVEN SEE THE SHOW. The theater should be alot bigger so people do not have to watch the side of a wall the whole night.
5) in the theater the first few nights we had went early and gotten good seats, we were served by a waiter named willy who kept the drinks coming non-stop, WILLY WAS AMAZING! Had drinks waiting for me the second i hopped off of stage after singing like an idiot. BUT when we had bad seats the waiters for that sections would actually walk by and try to avoid being seen and never asks if we would like drinks.. We had to get our own that night .. Thats not 5 star service.
6) On the first night we had found an ant, very small running under our safe and its mexico thats gonna happen (so we thought). The next morning we found a cockroach running along the floor, i had killed it and reported it to the front desk who said they will have someone come up to our room and look for bugs. They did not even ask our room number and i had to tell them we are room number 1136. We had walkedup to the room and waited. Nobody had come. The next day we found another cockroach hiding under a shoe in our room and this had given my girlfriend the creeps so i went down very upset telling them i want someone to come up now and that the first time nobody even came, they said they are sorry and they will have someone come up. A person had come up about 10 minutes later with a can of raid. He had sprayed a wall of our room and left..
I had went to customer service that night to get a reservation and she had said she had heard about our troubles and would like to offer us a bottle of champagne and someone to look at our room again, we agreed knowing the bottle of raid didnt do anything. a person had come up 2 minutes after with a huge steel can and hose reading "FUMIGATION" and sprayed our whole room. The man has said " is ok to breath i think" ... No bottle of champagne either, not like id want it when i can go down and get drinks anyways..
We had went to sleep late that night avoiding our room at all costs.
The next day my girlfriend and i had went to our room so she get ready for dinner. She was doing her hair and makeup in the bathroom mirror when she screamed and i ran in.. Another bug running around her feet. That was it, i paid for a 5 star and this is a 2 star room with 2 star service. I had went down to go tell front desk but a man was taking forever talking to someone there and yelling. I had heard the man say bugs so i interrupted the conversation and asked the man if he had cockroaches aswell, he opened a white napkin and said that he had been having this problem for days. At that second me and this man both started letting the front desk know we were not happy.. The front desk person offered me and the man a another same room 1 floor below but refused to promise there were no bugs. When i had come down to get the literal key for our new room a new girl nadia was at the desk, i told her i am not happy about this at all and she said sorry. I had asked her to guarantee me there are no bugs in this new room, she had said its on a whole new floor and she cannot promise there will be no bugs. After 2 minutes of telling her how not happy we are she had said " i promise no bugs in room".. She said 2 minutes before she cant promise?
That was our last night, we had not gotten a bug for that whole 2 conscious hours we were in that room.
WE MET A COUPLE IN THE ELEVATOR ASKING IF A MAID ASKED IF WE WANT HERSHEY KISSES?!? WE HAD SAID NO AS THIS NEVER HAPPENED.
They told us that a maid had KNOCKED on there door. The couple did not answer as they did not wantt to be bugged, then the maid proceeded to unlock the door and go inside even though the " do not make room" sign was up, the people stood staring at the maid who had only said " hershey kisses?" Reaching in her pocket to grab some, she than left.
Take that story as youd like *cough* stealing *cough*.
I could go on for hours and hours but i will leave it at that. I also have videos and pictures of the bugs and even a bite my girlfriend wokeup with the size of a golf ball.. I WAS DISGUSTED BY THE RIU AND THE WAY THEY HANDLED MY VACATION! I WILL NOT USE SIGNATURE TO BOOK TRIPS EITHER. These problems wasted half of our vaccation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in "Corazone", Cancun's resort area. 14-Storey main building and a 5-storey annex building. On the beachfront. Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. 20 M/65 ft. From a shopping centre. 10 Km/6.2 Miles from downtown Cancun. 20 Km/12.5 Miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with RIU Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Riu Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Cancun Hotel Cancun
- Riu Cancun Mexico
- Cancun Riu Hotel
- Rui Cancun