“IGNORE ALL THE BAD REVEIWS”
Review of Hotel Riu Cancun

Hotel Riu Cancun
Ranked #32 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“IGNORE ALL THE BAD REVEIWS”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

All i can say is dont take any notice of the BAD reviews, I,m glad i didn't. Couldn't fault this hotel, i wont go on, just read all the good reports.
We went in June and had good weather just couple of showers in the evening but nothing to keep us in.
The only fault that i can think off was the swim up bar was dirty with drink and stuff spilt in it, but it was cleaned ever morning and wasnt a problem for us we just didn't go in it, we left it for the young ones to enjoy and we went in the others pools or went in the sea.
Just go and have a good time, we had a fab holiday and would recommend it.

Room Tip: High floor has the best views.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ROWDAM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,371)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Seriously we had a fantastic time, from start to finish we were made more than welcome, no drama check in service room spacious and comfortable view was a little restricted but still lovely, mini bar fantastic. We were on the 3rd floor so no smells however friends of ours were on 14th floor and didn't have any complaints. We tried the steak restaurant which I didn't like as my starters were cold and steak was very fatty, we also ate in the Brazilian restaurant which we both enjoyed however they could do with getting the meat out quicker (tip leave your veg on the warming plate and eat it from there). In the main restaurant the food is good but a little repetative and we felt like the best food and service was on the night they were asking us to fill in survey forms! We did eat out a few times and found this quiet cheap, we had a fantastic funny night at Carlos and Charlies where you dine whilst you party! There are lots of exciting trips to choose from, we went on the Captain Hook pirate ships cruise that was a really good night. On my birthday we went over to the Isle of Mujeres and swam with the Manatees, Sealions and Dolphins which I can only say was incredible Picasso one of the male Dolphins even sang Happy Birthday to me (adorable). When we returned to the hotel Housekeeping had decorated our room with balloons, sweets, flowers and a big Happy Birthday sign and then to top it off as we were getting ready for our eveing meal a guy from the front dest knocked on with a card, a present and a bottle of bubbly. It was all so lovely. Entertainment ...well what an amazing team each and everyone of them are a credit to themselves and the Riu brand! They create such a welcoming atmosphere, they all have the ability to make you feel involved even when you're not joining in with a friendly word or smile for everyone. Their evening shows were comical we were even a little gutted on evenings when outside entertainers were performing even though they were also very good. I apologise for not remembering his name but feel I must mention how the entertainment manager consistantly thanked his team and never took any credit for himself even though he worked just as hard. The Thompson reps were also really good guys always there and extremely helpful. Infact the majority of the staff were friendly and helpful, the only one we struggled with was the girl at customer services who we and a few others mentioned that they also felt we were an interruption to her day (putting it politely). All in all we had a fantasic holiday and we are wishing were still there.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to have an excellent view and we normally upgrade but we didn't feel it was n...
5 Thank MillieA1
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is a superb hotel in every way. Accommodation,Food,Staff that go out of their way to please. We are two senior citizens in our seventies and loved every minute of our holiday from which we have just returned and are looking to return to the Riu Cancun next year in June. If you are thinking of going to Mexico on holiday choose this hotel to be sure of a good holiday.

Joan and John, South Wales

Room Tip: Any room in the main block over 15 floors is ideal
3 Thank Joan M
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Let me start by saying the lobby was beautiful, and we were greated with a cold drink, check in was quick the elevator did not have AC it was hot and stuffy, it also doesn't carry more than 8 adults at one time if you have more than eight it can get stalled, the rooms are a little dated and the beds are very Hard, other than that the Hotel has beautiful grounds and 3 swimming pools, nightly entertainment was good, the food was good, you do have to reserve at 8am for the specialty restraunts, The Staff was very friendly, and the beach was nice and calm, for my 6 year old niece they are very attentive and have allot of activites scheduled for kids, they did have a sad little pool for the kidos and a small playgound, but overall we did enjoy our stay at this allinclusive hotel.

Room Tip: our room was the top floor which had AWESOME views, but really I think mostly all rooms have Ocean V...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank onAmission5628
Nuneaton, United Kingdom

just arrived back from the riu on monday 29-10-2012
i cannot understand how people can fault this hotel.
the food was spectacular, there was something for absolutely everybody!! from salad to pizza and fruit to mexican chicken, even if you are not very experimental with food (like my partner) there is plenty to eat and drink.
the entertainment team are brilliant, constantly activities going on and they are always smiling and energetic.
the pools re beautiful, the pool bar is fantastic and has a brilliant selection of alcoholic and non alcoholic cocktails.
the hotel is so clean and the waiters and staff can not do enough for you.

i would recommend this to families/couples/weddings everybody, beach is beautiful and the location is fantastic - shopping mall over the road, resteraunts and bars just around the corner.

dont listen to picky people, you will never please everybody.

but this was the holiday of a lifetime and i will not hesiitate on returning

Room Tip: specifically request a sea vie room, and not on floor 13 as there is a large ledge and you cant see...
4 Thank erin c
Liverpool
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I just landed this morning from Mexico and couldn't wait to get back to write a true, honest review coming from someone who's not a snob.

I was so scared going to this hotel because of all the reviews which I obsessed over for months and months the run up. I went for 2 weeks me and my boyfriend (aged 22 & 30). We were on the 14th floor and the view was amazing!

We had perfect weather for 2 weeks apart from the odd slight over cast and the very very MINIMAL rain.

I'll start by doing this in categories:

The Room:
Pretty big, 2 slightly than larger single beds, TV, nothing more or less you could want for an hotel room. We had no smell, air conditioning in room was FAB! We needed a cool room to walk into.

The Food:
Theres only one thing I will moan about with the food and thats the breakfast, mainly because I'm a fussy eater, I think in my opinion it was perfect for everyone who wasnt from the UK. I stuck to pancakes with nutella or scrambeled eggs mainly but thats the only moan I will make about the food, but there is LOADS to choose from. The buffet dinner and snack, well theres nothing more you could want. The food is lovely, theres something for everyone, from every part of the world. There are 3 restaurants you can pre-book tables for 48 hours in advance, and OMG do I wish I would of went more, the Steak House is just amazing, the steak was perfection there was really no need to eat elsewhere with food like that. And your waited on throughout the duration of that meal. I also tried the Brazilian restaurant which was lovely also but my favourite definatley was the Steak.

The Staff:
I read some reviews on here about the staff being rude, well that's a load of crap. If they are rude to anyone its probably because there not being spoken to properly. Every single member of staff I came across was so well mannered and lovely, they couldn't do more for you. Bety and Juanita at the pool bar are especially lovely.

Cleanliness:
When it comes to cleanliness you really have nothing to worry about. The amount of staff you see cleaning each day is unreal. There is always someone cleaning somewhere and our beds were made everyday (unless we were for some reason hungover in the room we asked if they could miss that day haha) I thought it was absolutely spotless. And I'm a clean freak.

Location:
Look no further than this hotel if you want to be a 5 minute walk from Coco Bongos, Daddy-o's etc. The location of this hotel is perfect. Couldn't ask for anything more central, and you dont get disturbed by the nightlife.

You have probable heard about the hotel blocking the sun at a certain time of the day, this is true, however we were at the pool from 8am to about 4pm with sunshine, now that the clocks have gone back this may be abit shorter. If so there is a solarium on the 6th floor which is perfect for all you serial sunbathers haha.

Cant think of anything more to say about how much I loved and enjoyed my holiday at this hotel, and if I was to go back to Mexico I would 100% stay at this hotel and I would 100% recommend it to ALL of my friends and family.

Thank you so much the staff at RUI Cancun for a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: Request a higher level, ocean view room.
14 Thank ShanLopez
limerick
Reviewed October 29, 2012

just back from 5 nights in riu cancun. first impressions of the place were quite good, nice big open lobby and prompt friendly service. rooms not ready til about 3pm, but no great problem as we went for something to eat. food is good and there is always something youll like in the huge buffets. the main dining restaurants (steakhouse,japanese & brazilian) can only be booked 48 hrs in advance. we arrived sunday & could not book any restaurant before wednesday night, bit silly. we were leaving friday so only got to eat in 2 restaurants and we probably enjoyed the buffets better. restaurant service was abit rushed to accomodate later seatings. all staff we encountered were very friendly. bars nice too. if you re a sun worshipper this place may not suit you. its a 15 story hotel facing east so around lunchtime the hotel casts a shadow over the pools and alot of the beach, this is not uncommon in cancun. there was a damp smell in the room but this is common in tropics with the humidity, leave the window open for while to sort it.
i've stayed in 3 or 4 hotels in the area and this one was pretty good, no huge grounds around like some others. i dont think its 5 star by european standards but i would return

2 Thank ajjcummins