“Vacation for 6 adults and one child”
Review of Hotel Riu Cancun

Hotel Riu Cancun
Ranked #33 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Let me start by saying the lobby was beautiful, and we were greated with a cold drink, check in was quick the elevator did not have AC it was hot and stuffy, it also doesn't carry more than 8 adults at one time if you have more than eight it can get stalled, the rooms are a little dated and the beds are very Hard, other than that the Hotel has beautiful grounds and 3 swimming pools, nightly entertainment was good, the food was good, you do have to reserve at 8am for the specialty restraunts, The Staff was very friendly, and the beach was nice and calm, for my 6 year old niece they are very attentive and have allot of activites scheduled for kids, they did have a sad little pool for the kidos and a small playgound, but overall we did enjoy our stay at this allinclusive hotel.

Room Tip: our room was the top floor which had AWESOME views, but really I think mostly all rooms have Ocean V...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank onAmission5628
Write a ReviewReviews (10,258)

Reviewed October 31, 2012

just arrived back from the riu on monday 29-10-2012
i cannot understand how people can fault this hotel.
the food was spectacular, there was something for absolutely everybody!! from salad to pizza and fruit to mexican chicken, even if you are not very experimental with food (like my partner) there is plenty to eat and drink.
the entertainment team are brilliant, constantly activities going on and they are always smiling and energetic.
the pools re beautiful, the pool bar is fantastic and has a brilliant selection of alcoholic and non alcoholic cocktails.
the hotel is so clean and the waiters and staff can not do enough for you.

i would recommend this to families/couples/weddings everybody, beach is beautiful and the location is fantastic - shopping mall over the road, resteraunts and bars just around the corner.

dont listen to picky people, you will never please everybody.

but this was the holiday of a lifetime and i will not hesiitate on returning

Room Tip: specifically request a sea vie room, and not on floor 13 as there is a large ledge and you cant see...
4  Thank erin c
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I just landed this morning from Mexico and couldn't wait to get back to write a true, honest review coming from someone who's not a snob.

I was so scared going to this hotel because of all the reviews which I obsessed over for months and months the run up. I went for 2 weeks me and my boyfriend (aged 22 & 30). We were on the 14th floor and the view was amazing!

We had perfect weather for 2 weeks apart from the odd slight over cast and the very very MINIMAL rain.

I'll start by doing this in categories:

The Room:
Pretty big, 2 slightly than larger single beds, TV, nothing more or less you could want for an hotel room. We had no smell, air conditioning in room was FAB! We needed a cool room to walk into.

The Food:
Theres only one thing I will moan about with the food and thats the breakfast, mainly because I'm a fussy eater, I think in my opinion it was perfect for everyone who wasnt from the UK. I stuck to pancakes with nutella or scrambeled eggs mainly but thats the only moan I will make about the food, but there is LOADS to choose from. The buffet dinner and snack, well theres nothing more you could want. The food is lovely, theres something for everyone, from every part of the world. There are 3 restaurants you can pre-book tables for 48 hours in advance, and OMG do I wish I would of went more, the Steak House is just amazing, the steak was perfection there was really no need to eat elsewhere with food like that. And your waited on throughout the duration of that meal. I also tried the Brazilian restaurant which was lovely also but my favourite definatley was the Steak.

The Staff:
I read some reviews on here about the staff being rude, well that's a load of crap. If they are rude to anyone its probably because there not being spoken to properly. Every single member of staff I came across was so well mannered and lovely, they couldn't do more for you. Bety and Juanita at the pool bar are especially lovely.

Cleanliness:
When it comes to cleanliness you really have nothing to worry about. The amount of staff you see cleaning each day is unreal. There is always someone cleaning somewhere and our beds were made everyday (unless we were for some reason hungover in the room we asked if they could miss that day haha) I thought it was absolutely spotless. And I'm a clean freak.

Location:
Look no further than this hotel if you want to be a 5 minute walk from Coco Bongos, Daddy-o's etc. The location of this hotel is perfect. Couldn't ask for anything more central, and you dont get disturbed by the nightlife.

You have probable heard about the hotel blocking the sun at a certain time of the day, this is true, however we were at the pool from 8am to about 4pm with sunshine, now that the clocks have gone back this may be abit shorter. If so there is a solarium on the 6th floor which is perfect for all you serial sunbathers haha.

Cant think of anything more to say about how much I loved and enjoyed my holiday at this hotel, and if I was to go back to Mexico I would 100% stay at this hotel and I would 100% recommend it to ALL of my friends and family.

Thank you so much the staff at RUI Cancun for a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: Request a higher level, ocean view room.
14  Thank ShanLopez
Reviewed October 29, 2012

just back from 5 nights in riu cancun. first impressions of the place were quite good, nice big open lobby and prompt friendly service. rooms not ready til about 3pm, but no great problem as we went for something to eat. food is good and there is always something youll like in the huge buffets. the main dining restaurants (steakhouse,japanese & brazilian) can only be booked 48 hrs in advance. we arrived sunday & could not book any restaurant before wednesday night, bit silly. we were leaving friday so only got to eat in 2 restaurants and we probably enjoyed the buffets better. restaurant service was abit rushed to accomodate later seatings. all staff we encountered were very friendly. bars nice too. if you re a sun worshipper this place may not suit you. its a 15 story hotel facing east so around lunchtime the hotel casts a shadow over the pools and alot of the beach, this is not uncommon in cancun. there was a damp smell in the room but this is common in tropics with the humidity, leave the window open for while to sort it.
i've stayed in 3 or 4 hotels in the area and this one was pretty good, no huge grounds around like some others. i dont think its 5 star by european standards but i would return

2  Thank ajjcummins
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We travelled in October 2012 to Riu Cancun in Mexico and it was certainly not up to the standard we expected. This hotel is rated 5* and it definitely is not! Upon arrival we were allocated our Room 1123 on the 11th floor. When entering the room it smelt strongly of damp and when we reported this we were told we could move but to be honest we couldn't be bothered. When staying in the room for a while you didn't notice the smell but surely something should be done about this. We weren't the only people to complain. The hotel is really for younger people and this should be stated by tour operators. It is also used by loud, mouthy Americans who want everyone to know where they are and boy do you know it! We had two next door to us and every day we were woken up by their voices. The pools in the hotel are very nice but stay clear of the pool bar as the people who use this never get out so you can imagine the amount of deposit of urine in the pool - it is disgusting to say the least. The food in the main restaurant is superb - something for everyone - but it looks like a cafe when you enter, not at all the sort of restaurant that is normally in a RIU hotel. The steak restaurant is well worth a visit though. There is no light on the balconies which is disappointing as we like to sit on the balcony at night, but it was very dark out there. A trip across to Majores is well worth the trip and is more like the Mexico we expected. One thing which was disappointing were the Thomson trips. We have never ever before had to make our way to trips - always been picked up - and this put us off so we never went on any of the trips. We would not recommend this hotel as a 5* hotel - youngsters will like it but if you are over 30 years old stay away.

Room Tip: Ask to stay away from the 11th floor - very damp.
5  Thank westond
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We went on vacation from October 21-27, 2012 and stayed at the Riu Cancun. The food was good, similiar to the food on cruise ships. Our room was excellent. We had a junior suite overlooking the pool and beautiful beaches. The drinks were excellent, good wine but only beer option was DosXX (my husband is a Bud Light man). Anyway, he drank his beer and had a wonderful time. Shopping is very good and so is the night life. Coco Bongos and other night spots within walking distance. The hotel offered four beautiful pools, one with a swim up bar. The beaches were very beautiful however, I was not aware the hotel/beach area had topless areas. For this reason, I suggest this hotel for adults only, couples or singles. I would not recommend if you have children although there were some there. My guess is most of the guests were from foreign countries. We met only a few Americans, had a great time and enjoyed our stay. My husband and I enjoyed the facilites and will most likely come back to this spot.

Room Tip: Please get a junior suite, very much worth the extra cost and not that much more.
1  Thank Aura H
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is a fantastic place to go to got back yesterday would go back tomorrow if I could. Everything about this hotel is great the food caters for everyone the staff are saw friendly from the help desk, cleaners. entertainment staff. They could not have done a better job they done the hotel proud :) When I book up for next year I am going to use the same hotel for definite you have everything you need inside and as for the outside everything is on your doorstep restaurants, bars, clubs 5-10 minute walk away and the shops are of a variety from cheap branded to very highly priced brands. W=But 10 out of 10 from me :)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends