“Not as Good as it used to be”
Review of Hotel Riu Cancun

Hotel Riu Cancun
Ranked #32 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I travel to Cancun once every year since 2008. This has been my 5th time staying at Riu Cancun, and my last. I used to love this hotel, but it definitely has gone downhill, not as fun as it used to be. The front desk hasn’t changed they are still very rude and arrogant. They never like to help anyone and talk back to you! The rooms are still old, beds still feel wet when slept in and seem to be getting worse every year, they definitely need an update. Our room was never cleaned except for making the beds. The previously occupants of the room wrote profanity on the mirror in the washroom and I never noticed till I took a shower and all the steam showed the words. I left it to see if the maid would clean the mirror she never did. There was also always sand all over the floor that was never swept up. Bed linens are also never changed untill you leave.

The grounds are always beautiful and breathtaking. The pool bar is absolutely disgusting I don’t think they have changed that water since the hotel opened, my friend got a skin rash all over her body after getting out of the pool. The beach is nice but too many rocks.

The food is mediocre, same selection every day. You will never go hungry, but if you want real Mexican food leave the resort and try a restaurant.

This hotel used to have the BEST entertainment staff! They used to make the hotel an amazing place to be. Unfortunately they have either all gotten married or changed hotels :( The atmosphere has definitely gone down.I remember there used to be 3 buses filled with partygoers from the hotel now half of one is filled. Cancun used to be all young people looking for a great place to party, this hotel is literally all couples and families. The nightclubs are still fun, but much younger crowds ages too 18-21.

This hotel is great for couples and families with small children, but if your looking for somewhere to party don’t expect too much, unless you go around March during spring break other than that, it’s nothing special. This hotel used to be a 5 star I’d give it a 3 now. Cancun will always have a special place in my heart, but as for this hotel I have definitely retired from it.

Room Tip: Rooms in main building close to elevator have the best ocean views.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank kiki_05
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Cancun

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Im just back from 10 days in the Riu Cancun, I had read some vesy mixed reviews in relation to this hotel, well I can honestly say this is truly and great hotel, the staff work so hard to keep it spotless 24hours a day, the food was great and such a choice no matter what time of day or night you went to eat and constantly fresh as well. Rooms are spacious, cleaned daily and beds were changed every second day. There is plenlty of entertainment to suit all tastes. I honestly cannot find anything at all to fault this hotel on, it truly is a great place. Cancun is lovely, weather was fab and to make it an even better experience fly with Virgin, they are amazing.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Michelle2710
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Just got back from a fantastic holiday in cancun..the riu hotel is fantastic..3 of us went for 2 weeks and had a fab time...food/drink was brilliant plenty of choice (something for everyone) the staff were very friendly and polite..entertainment staff were excellent and very helpful, they take you to a different club every night and you have your own table your own bottle of spirits of your choice and they make sure the waiters in the clubs are getting you what you want..riu is very close to shops and the clubs so don't always have to get a taxi..overall I would recommend this hotel to all ages and can't wait to go back there next September.

• Stayed: September 2012
5  Thank Laur_86
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I knew I would have a tough time reviewing this hotel when I left. There are just as many pros as there are cons to this hotel, so I'll try to list them in chronological order.

Pros:

The location is probably the best in the Hotel zone. It's a 10 minute walk from downtown shops and clubs, there is a bus that takes you to the bus terminal every 5 minutes and it's right on the beach.
The rooms are spacious
The food can be good (Don Juan was is an excellent buffet and Brazilian Rodizio was very good)
The service can be great (the food service staff claps for you when they first open the restaurant, the cigar guy is pretty easy going)
The entertainment staff is very good (we got VIP shuttle to The City, a table, and open bar for only $50 per person and the promoters seem pretty cool to drink with)
The nightly shows are extremely good. I highly recommend catching at least one of them.

The Cons:
The decor is dated (mostly in the lobby where you will probably spend much of your time because that's the only place you get free wifi see below)
Free wifi is limited to only 90 minutes a day
Some of the rooms smell moldy (our first room was on the first floor and we asked to change to a room on a higher level)
The food can be bad (Kawachi was not a good Japanese restaurant; not worth the calories IMO)
Not only can the food be bad, but it can be unhealthy with all the birds flying around in them (esp La Mision where stray birds fly between the tables looking for food to steal)
The service can be terrible (our luggage was lost for over 1.5 hours while the manager claimed that it was already in our room; we were calling them from the room...)
You need to reserve a dinner at the theme restaurants by jumping through various hoops (reservations only taken exactly two days in advance and only made in person)

If I could change one thing about this resort, it would have to be the restaurants and the reservation policy. I've been to other all-inclusive resorts with much better food that accept walk-ins. Why can't Riu Cancun do that too?

Overall, I was happy in my stay and will recommend this resort to friends, but only after a few warnings.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room, it's worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Richard T

Riu Cancun
Good bits
Fantastic weather lovely and warm great views.
This hotel was booked for 58 guests attending a wedding. Sadly it rained on the wedding day but our spirits were not dampened we had the best day ever. Thank you Alan an Tracey for the invite. The hotel is large and very grand very clean and relaxing. The rooms are spacious and have everything that you require. The décor is a little dated but as we were more at the pool or the beach it didn’t bother us too much. On arrival we asked to have a low floor which the hotel done immediately. We were pleased with the room as we prefer low floors due to not liking lifts. The TV had plenty of channels to choose from and a number of movie channels which suited me as I like to watch a bit of TV when on holiday.
The choice of food is vast and there was always something that we found to eat, although I would have liked butter rather than margarine with my toast in the morning.
The Japanese restaurant is a must, it’s not just sushi although you are offered it as a starter, give it a go it’s really lovely. Main meals are steak, chicken & fish we had the steak it was lovely and we had deep fried ice cream for dessert.
I feel that the organisation on arrival left a lot to be desired. Guests were whisked away to an area near the Sports Bar to be welcomed and be checked in. As some of the party went to the loo’s and another two waited for their luggage outside the hotel they were dismayed when we realized that all the others had disappeared the reception were unhelpful and did not fully explain where everyone had gone and wanted to check us in. We wanted to join the rest of the group as we knew that we would be missed. It was all very confusing.
Coco Bongos – a great night out well worth a visit. Make sure you get VIP tickets as the view is fantastic.
Not so good
Young lion and tiger cubs are paraded along the beach at midday, for tourists to have photos taken with them for $20 dollars . Please don’t pay for this, these animals need protecting and need to be with their mum’s. Donate something to the Born Free Foundation if you want to help stop this practice.
Don’t walk alone back to the Hotel at night my husband was approached by the police who demanded money £200 for jay walking. Very intimidating especially late at night.
Don’t take more than your cigarette/tobacco allowance into the country even if you are going to smoke, them as you will be required to pay the taxes. All bags are searched on arrival to Mexico even though they have been through this procedure at Newcastle Airport.
If you what to sit together make sure you pay for your seats as most people were split up. I think this is deliberate so more money is made for the airlines.
My teenage child was sick on the bed sheets and we were charged £250 by the hotel so beware, clean them yourself or take them to the local laundry.

The hotel is in a great area to access all other amenities that Cancun has to offer.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not sick or do any damage to the room the bill could be enormous
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank babtastic
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights. We had a so called "king" bed, but its more like 2 twins put together (actually the size of the mattresses were somewhere between a twin and a full). Not exactly comfortable when you want to be close to each other in the middle of the bed.

Food in the various buffet restaurants was decent. Don Juan def has better food. But the open areas always had tons of birds flying around, pooping on seats, which made our outdoor dining experience unpleasant. We also ate at the Japanese and the Brazilian restaurants which we had to reserve 2 days a head. The food was good but nothing to write home about.

The entertainment team was cool though. We went to The City club with them. US$50 or $650 pesos per person for VIP and open bar. They even took us there on a bus, hung out with us all night to make sure we have fun.

Overall a good experience.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank xiach
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I had a 7 day trip at the end of August and it was one of my best holidays ever. From the outset everything was smooth, nice and swift. The private shuttle bus was waiting for us at the airport and was only stopping at the Riu Cancun, checkin was swift and seemless with a nice touch of a fresh fruit cocktail handed to us.
The resort had been hit by a hurricane the day before we arrived so the beach wasnt as idealic as normal but was cleaned and the seaweed quickly removed so everyone could once again enjoy the lovely beach that is part of the hotel.
The swimming pools are good with each serving a purpose; party pool, games pool and a couple of relaxing pools.
The food was very good with a lot of variety, it is also worth booking the specialist restuarants but arrive on time as it is a set menu that comes out at set times.
The entertainment team were very good, always smiling and ensuring people were having fun, they are up early even though they are in the clubs in the evening. Everyone goes out in the hotel together and you are bussed to specific clubs and pay a cover charge $50 for an open bar and to begin with you are in an area with your hotel enjoying the drinks (branded vodka bottles are left for you) and then eveyone goes into the main mix of the dancefloor.
The rooms are dated, but not appalling, the shower was very good and the inroom drinks were much appreciated (water, 7UP, Pepsi, beer, and 4 bottles of spirits).
The lifts were a bit annoying, I dont think it was particularly busy when I went but there was still sometimes a 5 minute wait for the lift and 15 floors is a lot to walk up and down each time.
The staff were extremely friendly and had some good banter with people, the pool side waitresses were very good and i didnt move from a sun lounger one day and always had a drink in hand.
There is a lot to see and explore around the area and one thing that is a must is the jungle hummer tour - I can not rate this highly enough - look at the reviews on here it was everything you want and more! A speed boat tour of the lagoon is also well worth it.
The beauty of this place is you can do as much or as little as you want but you wont be bored or feel you have missed out. There are a lot of bars for evening drinks and the onsite club to my surprise was pretty busy, it was free entry and the all inclusive was still applicable. Had a really good night there. I woke up early and late and every day had sun loungers, the free wifi in reception area is good too.
Overall i would definitely go back here and would definitely recommend it, the Riu Caribe a few meters away looked nicer, and the rooms are probably more modern so if you want to spend the extra £150 - £200 per person do, but if you dont you will get a very very good 4 star resort with excellent food, drink, atmosphere and will love the time here (if not the room).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends