“Brilliant Hotel Location!”

Ranked #31 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Preston, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Hotel Location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Hotel is huge & right next door to the Riu Palace.
Appx 30mins drive from the airport.
Lifts are glass ad very hot in the sun!!!
Rooms were clean but a little musty smelling possibly due to the aircon. Aircon was great tho. A must have for Cancun.
2 double beds, optics, seperate bathroom.
Only gripe was the location of the mirror - in the hall and not the dressing area which made it difficult to dry my hair. There is a large mirror in the bathroom but it was always too hot for me in there.
Beach sandy & clean altho there were some large rocks in rhe sea.
We were on the 14th floor & had a brilliant view.
Most rooms seemed to have a sea view, apart from poss some of the lower floors that maybe obscured.
Not the quietest hotel Ive ever stayed at. If you want peace & quiet - try another hotel.
Lots of stuff going on round the pool allday with the entertinment team and music on allday.
There was another quieter pool but it was small & never any beds.
Youve got to get to the pool early if you want a sunbed in a good spot.
We were there in October.
The sunbeds nearest the hotel lost sun early afternoon & the ones nearest the beach were the best.
Infinity Pool was quite cold but it was a relief with the heat.
Snacks & ice cream available allday at the poolside restaurant. Usual sort of stuff, burgers chips, chicken, pizza, hotdogs but also salad, fruit, soup and some more exotic food options.
3 gourmet restaurants - Brazilian where they brought meat, then more meat, then more meat all that had been cooked on skewers at the back. Very nice.
Japanese, also very nice. Included, sushi, soup, main course and deep fried ice cream which i had never tried before.
We didnt try the 3rd restaurant which i think was a USA steakhouse.
All inclusive buffet always had lots of choice & was very good every day.
You can get on a bus for pence and can travel up & down the hotel zone. The buses are every minute or 2.
There are about 4 shopping centres up & down the strip. 1 directly opposite the hotel. Some better than others.
Plus Bubba Gumps is opposite The Royal Cancun where I had the best meal of the holiday! This was a short bus ride away from Riu Cancun.
Within 5mins walk of lots of restaurants & bars including Coco Bongo's, Hard Rock Cafe, Hooters, Carlos & Charlies, Senior Frogs (appx 10mins walk). Plus many more.
You MUST visit Coco Bongo's if youve never been to Cancun before - Amazing!! Get a better spot up in the top area - definately worth it!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Denise T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,328)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Pontefract
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

We have just come back from a 2 week break at this hotel. The last time we were here was 4 years ago.

Although the hotel is very grand and in an excellent location we felt that it was now in need of a good decor lift. The capeting in the piano lounge and dining areas had definitely seen better days. The tiling in the bathroom was dirty and tiles were cracked - not what you would expect from a 4+ rated hotel.

The maid service and bar service were very good. There was an excellent waitress called Mariana who was lovely - would get your drinks order without you asking for them (very good memory).

The entertainment is ok - the problem is the shows double up the second week you are there. There are a number of decent bars where you can get corona up in the centre of cancun (near cocobongos) if you fancy a change.

The lifts are a bit of a nightmare - there are 4 lifts to the main floors but only 3 were ever working. One evening there were 8 of us in the lift (maximum number) and the lift got stuck between floors. It took maintenace a while to release the lift back to the ground floor.

Be sure to go on the Pirate Ship - brilliant evening. You have a fun filled time enjoying a steak and lobster dinner (very nice).

If you feel brave enough to use the public transport (which I must say is far better than ours here in the UK) you can travel anywhere for 17 pesos for 2 people (less than a £1!!) Taxi ride for the same is around 100 to 150 pesos.

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view so I dont think there would be a "bad" room. 14th floor may be...
4 Thank DianeNewbound
Downingtown PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

We went there for a our nephew's destination wedding and were 46 people total. The rooms were a nice size and the floor we were on (6) was recently renovated. You could die of hunger waiting for the elevators - they take forever. While they have 4 elevators there was never more than 3 running. A group of folks in our party (my husband included) got stuck in the elevator - which is a common occurrence.

The food went from bad to worse. The best meal was breakfast and that was not great. The drinks from the bar didn't taste like anything we were familiar with and the mixers they use taste outright bad. Chemical flavor and the only fresh fruit they had for drinks was bananas otherwise it was artificial flavoring. If I had to guess I would say they were watered down. Since you could drink 6 - 8 and not even get a buzz. Stick with the beer.

I will admit that we are use to staying in more high end places - so that may have effected the way that we felt. So if you are looking for an up market place - this is not it. There was no one in our group that liked the food. Some of the folks in our group had to change rooms because the air conditioning wasn't working. The pool with the bar was very small and oddly enough no one ever got out to use the restrooms. The water had a film floating on it and after the first afternoon - we never went back - disgusting.

The bride and groom had booked the disco to be able to dance after the wedding. Nice idea but the air conditioning was not working well and it was very hot. We couldn't wait to get out of there. Overall - a disappointing experience and we won't be going back to a RIU hotel again.

Room Tip: ask to stay on a renovated floor
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank syleegirl
Newcsatle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Just returned from a week at Riu Cancun. The facilities at the the hotel are good and the food and drink was to a very high standard. The hotel is marketed as for families where as the majority of guests are groups of young people or couples who make the most of the all inclusive! The hotel organises very little activities for children and the majority of games they will only allow you to play if you are over 18, Some of the games they play during the day are totally unsuitable to be played whilst children are present. Most of the entertainment staff give the impression that they cannot be bothered with the children. The hotel rooms are dated and could do with a lick of paint. The family rooms are very small. The views and grounds of the hotel itself are fantastic. The majority of the staff are lovely and treat you like royalty. They really make your visit special. Mexico is lovely but if you have children I would pick a different hotel.

Room Tip: The family rooms are very small. 2 queen sized beds for 3 of us. Maybe ask if they have any bigger...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank SEW003
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

All these negative comments really bug me therefore felt that I must write a review.
Myself and my boyfriend went here for two weeks at the end of July 2012 and it was everything we imagined and more. Hotel was very sociable and everyone spoke to one another. Staff were all lovely and our Thomson rep was very knowledgable and was always there to help.
Food was good though we did eat our several times though we are quite fussy eaters.
On the 2nd night of our holiday I was sick in the room (not through alcohol) and even though I cleaned it up i was charged 460pesso's as I used the towel to help clean it so that was quite annoying.

I am only 23yrs old so we done a lot of clubbing when there so bare in mind this hotel have club nights where they leave from the hotel and use go in a bus which we only really done on the 2nd week because we were unaware of this. You skip the que's if going with the hotel so well worth it.

Anyone going to Cancun You must go on the PIRATE SHIP it was one of the best nights there!!

Well done to all the Riu staff for making my holiday the best ever and if I could afford it I would book up to go back again next year.

Room Tip: We were on the 11th floor so had to use the lifts everytime so mayb best to ask for a lower room as...
9 Thank Lynsey2012
Roseburg, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed at the Riu Cancun for a week in July ... And we had a wonderful vacation!

Room: Yes, it is a bit outdated and needs new bedding and a fresh coat of paint. A new TV was brought in during our stay. And yes, they still issue regular lock keys but I did not care for the fact that they engrave the room number on the key. Maids did a great job cleaning and restocking drinks. The only issue we had was the lighting ... The light switches all seemed backwards and there was no light in the darkened shower stall.

Pool: Very nice pools. Although the "party pool" was often full of loud, smoking, drunk people. The water in this pool is murky and we rarely saw anyone leave to use the restrooms.

Food: We found the food to be very delicious!! We loved the buffet restaurants as well as the reservation style places. We had no complaints whatsoever about any of the food we ate. I do not understand the reviews that stated the food was horrible, there was nothing good, etc... We were amazed at the terrific food. And the alcoholic drinks were good, too!

Location: This hotel has a great location! Walking distance to Hard Rock Cafe, Coco Bongo, Hooters, Carlos 'n Charlies, and many other great attractions/restaurants. We did venture into Senor Frogs ... Noted a cockroach and left. We loved Margaritaville ... We walked there and the drinks were fabulous! I suggest the Fish Tacos ... to die for!!

Waverunners: We rented these through our hotel rep. $102 per hour for two people. We used Aquaworld which is right down the beach from the Riu Palace. It was a blast and I would recommend this to everyone!!!

Sea Passion Catamaran: This was nearly $150 for the both of us and basically, a let down. The snorkeling was poor and we were told we needed no ID for the adventure only to get to the island to learn we needed an ID to rent a golf cart to tour the island. A disappointment, to say the least. The lunch was descent, though.

All in all, we found the Riu Cancun to be a fabulous place! Nice people, beautiful beach, good drinks, and wonderful food!

3 Thank SerenityRoo
Ceres, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

I'm giving a review of one because of recent events at Riu Cancun. It was my Fourth stay at this location and my last. Overall previously, I would rate it 3-4 mainly for location and decent food. 31 of us just went for my buddies wedding. My iphone 4s was stolen out of room with the charger. I reported this to front desk and they must've asked me 10 times if I'm sure I wasn't drunk and lost it. They sent security to our room and he once again asked if I was drunk and lost it and or to check my bags and safe over and over. Riu Cancun NEVER let a manager speak with me the 5-6 times I asked at the desk. " Sorry sir, Manager is busy " was my answer every time.

My Iphone wasn't even turned on, I had it in flight mode and turned off for vacation because I didn't want to pay fees and only took my phone for traveling and returning home purposes... So, no I didn't lose it, it never left the room... with me anyway...

I will never return to any Riu hotels after this experience. I realize stuff happens south of the border, but the staff acted like it was no big deal and I wasn't important enough to deal with.

If you decide to stay at this hotel, be very careful with all belongings.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family