“Excellent vacation!”
Review of Hotel Riu Cancun

Hotel Riu Cancun
Ranked #32 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed March 27, 2011

We spent Spring Break at the Riu Cancun (an all-inclusive hotel) with our teeneage kids and one other family. The hotel property was excellent and service was great!

--I'll start with the down side and leave the positive for last:
awful mattresses
--you get a card for the beach towels which you must not lose
--safe uses a key instead of a combination which, again, you must not lose
--you need a key for the front door instead of a card
--careful during peak US spring break week (you'd better enjoy noise and drinking)

The Property
4 pools each catering to a specific crowd (adults and calm, the Spring Breakers and drinks, the activity minded and one which caters to families, couples and relaxation). There are areas to sit and enjoy the sea, shade, a coffee, surfing the Net or whateevr your pleasure. The lobby is spacious and welcoming. There are malls nearby, public transport and cabs. There is a great walking or jogging trail out front which runs along the various hotel properties on the main strip. The beach is very nice but the hurricanes have taken a toll on it. It is clean and the water is turquoise blue. You can walk along the beach for many kilometres. If the rocks get to you, it is possible to find a totally rock free section of see at their sister hotel next door.

The food
It is not Rome, Montreal or New York but it is very good. There is a lot of variety and the cooks can whip you up something to your taste, be patient and kind. All staff members try hard to understand what you are asking for even those who speak little English. We have always had some level of stomach upset in most Carribean destinations, however none of us were ill in any way, and we did not refrain from eating anything (buffet, salads, fruits, water, etc). There are 3 A La Carte restaurants but we did not find them very good. One night the buffet had Sushi and it was excellent, unlike the one we had at their Japanese restaurant.

The rooms
Amazing beach facing rooms! Sitting on the balcony having a drink or coffee was very relaxing. The rooms are kept very clean. A hotel in the Carribean with water pressure, what a welcome change! There was an awful sewer smell once but Carlos at the front desk had someone look after it in the same day! The air conditionning is "central" type with a unit in a passage way that you can close the door to. As long as the door is closed and the unit is not defective, there is very little noise; unlike those awful window units we see so often in many hotels ( there is a lesson here for any hotel owner/designer). I would come back just for the temperature-controlled peace and quite room conditionner. One negative point, the mattresses, were awful. The staff tried to help by providing mattress pads but little helped. If you have trouble sleeping because of uncomfotable mattresses, unfortunately your nights will be terribly long. At least, you can get up and have a drink to help you fall asleep. All rooms are well stocked with liqueur, beer, soft drinks and bottled water.

The entertainment
The night entertainment was good but definitely not Broadway shows. A lot of cancan & dancing type shows. The daily entertainment and the Karaoke nights were excellent! The entertainment group, Froggy, Sara, Enrique, Alberto, to name a few were amazing! Our kids enjoyed spending time in the pool and on the beach, where we were able to keep on eye on them, thanks to these entertainers! We met a lot of folks enjoying themselves, just like us, again, thanks to these bunch of entertainers. We played bingo and darts, two I would never have played ordinarily. Their water activities were very entertaining!!

The service
Excellent, excellent, excellent! Sure, if you expect no inconveniences, go find some 500$ a night room in some other country. However, the key, there were very few inconveniences and whenever one came up, if you asked politely (and unfortunately they also helped out the rude ones), your problem was taken care of quickly. The front desk folks, housekeepers, maintenance personnel, most waiters (some could use a course on common courtesy) and bartenders were courteous, smiled and showed appreciation whenever you gave a gratuity (it was not expected). My buddy left 50 Pesos on the nightstand the first day. He forgot to leave it by the housekeepers card. Upon his return at night, the money was right where he left it!

Shopping
Although there is a lot of shopping nearby, the folks in this part of the country must think tourists do not care about money. In some stores it was insulting to see what they were charging for some items. I'm sure they would sell a lot more if they simply priced accordingly. Most stores and malls were empty and whatever shoppers you saw, they were simply browing not buying.

We'd also like to thank the General Manger, Daniela, and the Assistant manager, Zuly, they made our stay even better. Two people who know what service means. They were courteous and very interested in our positive and negative input. You can see them walking greeting guests many times during your stay, say hi, you will get a smile and a great conversation!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Canadians_who_travel
Write a ReviewReviews (10,247)

Reviewed March 26, 2011

We can’t recommend this hotel enough as on our way home at the airport my husband realised he had left his new diamond wedding ring in the bathroom in the hotel so we phoned the hotel and the maid had found it so someone brought it to the airport for us. We stayed here for two weeks for our honeymoon in October, the hotel was beautiful and very well kept all day long staff were cleaning & up keeping the place. There were some very nice touches like champing, fruit basket and swans made from towel on our bed. Plus it was my birthday as well they decorated the room with balloons, made a cake from towels and put my age in chocolates around the bed. The mini bar is great stocked with sprite, coca cola, beer, water and you also get four optics with local spirits. The buffet choice was just fantastic the food was always amazing. We ate at the grill restaurant a few times each week you could have steak, chicken or ribs very nice. The hotel is just across from one of the shopping centres also just around the corner from all the bars and clubs coco bongos is a must. We done the bar crawl with Thomson was about £40 each, this included all your drink in the bars, coco bongos and your entry. You are on the beach with beautiful views, amazing cocktails and waiters that are always happy to help. We had a hurricane pas by so three days of rain but it didn’t matter as the film channels were good and you have bars and a night club in the hotel. What more could you ask for.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank TheHoppers2011
Reviewed March 25, 2011

This spanish colonial styled property built in 2003 provides the guest with a number of options best suited to facilitate your pace during your time in Mexico. Transport to and from hotel(s) provided if you arrival via a tour operator..abit of a milk run but no biggie.
Two connected pools and a small beach area abut the tower portion of the complex. With an adjacent bar and washrooms this serves as a quiet area for parents and/or anyone not interested in the cacophony of activities for all ages and associated carrying-on of the main pool (centre of property) with swim up bar.
Plenty of beach loungers with hotel providing waitserve on the beach.
THE SUN is gone from pool area of the property by 2pm and from most of the beach by 330pm
The food exceeded our expectations with sufficent variety and theme evenings located in the main dining hall. Room service is not available but for us it was not a deficit.
Shuttle service to /rtn the clubs is provided nightly by the hotel with a 1045pm outbound departure. It is also walkable.
If you are interested in any of the stand alone restaurants would advise to reso at arrival. Customer Service desk in lobby. Your tour operator is also in the lobby to facilitate off hotel activites.
Public transport in front of hotel to Market28/Walmart etc..fare is about 80 cents and a 20 minute ride. Also note, your bracelet provides you access to al facilities at the Riu Caribe..about 2 miles down the beach.
We found the staff very friendly and accommodating. There is always someone sweeping/wiping/mopping. Very clean. Very nice.
Wi-Fi in lobby area only.
The rooms-here there is some exhaustion with the decor. The television is tubed with limited english language stations. Of course you're not there to watch tv but would be nice to close off the evenings.
Rooms are abit musty.
The mattress- It's firmness would rival, I'm sure, Fred Flintsone's bed.
Overall, we had a fantastic time.
Simply stated, do your research. Be mindful of the more egregious reviews here tending to be vacous and without merit.
Bon Voyage!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank BensonOttawa
Reviewed March 25, 2011

This was by far the worst resort I have ever stayed at in my travels. It was actually so bad that after 4 nights my friend and I had to change hotels to the Presidente Intercontinental which blew the Riu away.

First off let me say that when we arrived there were about 9 employees at the front desk that had a hard time taking care of 3 people. Very disorganized and had no clue what was going on. We got there at 3:00 and our room wasn't ready until about 4:00. We then got to our room, which was the worst room in the resort (116). It is on the first floor, next to the elevators. The balcony was above a bar and under an overhang with a pillar directly blocking our view to the ocean.

The bedroom was a joke. We had 2 beds, which were pushed together to make it look like a king size bed. The bedding was old, musty and if I were willing to guess from about 1987. The pillows were something that probably haven't been upgraded since maybe before the 1980's. I am not one to watch television, but because the food and drinks were so awful and I was stuck in sick one night I had to try and watch TV. The only problem is we got 1 channel, and the TV was something that you would see in a run down doctors office. It was about a 13" Tube TV, which I would also venture to say was bought in the 80's. The maid service was pretty awful, we got to our room one day at about 5:00 from being at the pool all day and our room was still not cleaned.

Now let's talk about the food...I would rather eat food that they serve in prison. This stuff was junk. The buffet had food that tore my stomach up, as I mentioned it caused me to throw up. If you have ever watched Vegas Vacation and remember the buffet with the "blue stuff" and "green stuff". This is what I would compare it too. Now I heard they had a few restaurants, only problem is you have to make reservations 3 days in advance to get a seat in one of them, and the line to do that will take you a good half of your morning.

The drinks were also terrible. I understand that at all inclusive resorts you aren't going to get top shelf booze. However at every all inclusive that I have stayed at in the past, they at least have one type of liquor that has a decent bottle. Now I can't recall the names of the liquor they were serving, but when I was down there I took a note of some of the bottles and went to a liquor store where they sell the stuff. Folks...it's $4/bottle. That is junk! And my stomach and hangovers told me so.

Let's move on to the guests. College spring break spot. When I booked this trip I heard that was not the case, however every day at the pool were frat guys chants, and animals running around all day and night. We met some friends that said that a guy jumped out on his balcony and climbed on to theirs, and proceeded to break their chair. The next night they said they saw a kid face down passed out in the hallway outside their door. Classy joint, right?

The pools are small and lose sunlight at about 2:00, which causes everyone to fit in a corner of the pool or beach (which is also about 9feet from the water to the wall.

This was by far the worst place I have ever stayed. I cannot say one nice thing about it, service was horrible, food was the worst, drinks...throw up, I could go on and on.

Unless you are being paid to go to this place...don't go! It's the worst! Complete dump!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank buckeye1107
Reviewed March 25, 2011

This is the prettiest hotel in the hotel zone, that is why I picked it. I ignored the reviews about the hard beds, and I shouldn't of. The beds are horrible. If you want a good night's sleep don't stay here. The food was good- but they don't tell you when you check in that you have to schedule reservations at the restaurants two days before, so we were only able to eat at one of the restaraunts. There were a good mix of people when we went, but quite a lot of Spring Breakers. It is also true what they say about the sun going down past 2- you have to keep moving your lounger to accomodate that. Overall, it was a good experience, but I wouldn't stay at this hotel again just because of the beds.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2011

So 16 of us went to cancun for my stag trip and ive stayed at riu palace in canun before and also the riu palace in cabo so i assumed all riu hotels are just as amazing. The check in was diffucult i had to change rooms Once and had to wait 2 days as i had payed for a ocean view and king bed. There is NO room service and the 24 hour buffet was horriable!!! And we could not get any reservations at the restaurtants because they were full so we ate buffet food the whole time, the buffet was decent though. Also the rooms smelled of mold and had a werid smell. Also when the house keeping is cleaning the floor above your you can hear every single noise of them moving the beds and scrething and it was extremly LOUD . The floors are thin or something because i could not sleep at all in the morning because of this! I would not stay there ever again and Riu palace was 100 times better so i would pay the extra for the nicer riu for sure next time. I had a great expereince at the riu palace and riu cancun can not compare to it!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 22, 2011

By reading all of the negative reviews I've come to the conclusion that people will complain just to complain. This trip was amazing!!!!! I honestly cannot say one negative comment about our stay at Riu Cancun.

My wife and I travelled with 2 other couples. We arranged transportation from the airport to the Riu and back through USA Transfers. It only cost a total of $65 for round trip private transport for all of us. A cab for 2 people would have been at least that. There was no waiting or stopping at other resorts. I highly recommend you arrange for transportation to and from the airport before you get to Cancun.

ROOM: We booked a Junior Suite. The room was very clean, modern and nicely decorated. The bed was firmer than I like but still comfortable. We were on the third floor of the small building and the view was amazing. The cleaning staff did a great job and the refrigerator and liquer bottles were refilled every other day.

FOOD: We did not eat in any of the specialty restaurants. The buffets were amazing!!!! The selections are huge and the taste was excellent. There were so many selections to choose from I don't understand how someone can say they got tired of the food in 3 days. We always tried new dishes.

BEACH: The beach is not very wide in some spots and there are rocks you need to watch out for. I heard this is because of the hurricane that hit them a few years ago. Many of the beaches were reduced and the rocks exposed. I can't say that it was a negative, you just needed to be careful.

LOUNGE CHAIRS: If you want to guarantee a certain location on the beach or by the pool you need to lay some towels out early in the morning. If you don't really care where you are going to hang out, there was always chairs available. The pools do get shaded first when the sun goes behind the building but there are plenty of spaces to get a few extra hours of sun if that is what you would like to do. We were in the sun until about 5pm.

STAFF: The staff is extremely friendly! They will go out of their way to make sure you are happy. We had a few waiters that remembered our names and even remembered our drink orders. We never felt that a tip was expected but we chose to give tips many times because of the excellent service we received.

SUMMARY: My wife and I travel at least two times per year. This was the best trip we have ever taken! It was even better than our Norwegian Cruise. I cannot understand the negative reviews. During our trip we even discussed the negative comments that were made in these reviews and could not find any to agree with. We would give the Riu Cancun our highest recommendation and would not hesitate to return!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple