“An amazing stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“An amazing stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

We didn't have too many expectations coming here as we got a really good deal. I have to say nevertheless that this place was excellent. Food was definitely one of the highlights boasting a bountiful supply of areas to dine in. We experienced top shelf drinks during all of our stay and extremely friendly service (call out to Gerardo, Orlando, Martin, and Webster). Amongst the various In-house activities, the tequila tasting won our heart thanks to Carlos, the sommelier.
There are two main pool areas, but the one near the bar tends to get too crowded and attracts the well known "spring break" type of crowd that everyone talks about in Cancun (must admit we needed up moving to the other pool).
Their Tempo restaurant was incredible, great place to celebrate a special occasion.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JC F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,980)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed there June 7-10, 2013. We did not do the Royal Service because it was sold-out. I had read most of the recent reviews of this resort prior to going. I would have to agree with those who believe the food is not good. It is actually surprising to read that people were pleased with the food. I am not a very picky eater, and we are not food snobs, but we enjoy eating out at great restaurants on regular basis so I know what "good" food should taste like. There was not one dish that I thought was good. So, food-wise we were disappointed.

As for the resort itself, we were pleased with the beach, our room and the total ambiance of the resort. There were some minor issues such as the jacuzzi in our balcony didn't work; the resort is huge and we were given the very last room on the 5th floor on the very last building to the right (1st tower), so we had a 10 minute walk in order to get to the center building that houses all of the restaurants, bars, and stores. As you can imagine this is not everyone's cup of tea specially when you realize you've left the sunscreen back in the room. Also, the main elevator was broken the whole time, but the service elevator was available.

The resort staff were all very friendly. I specifically remember Leonardo was our waiter at The Market Grill restaurant and he was excellent, very kind, and friendly.

As for drinks, they are not strong so just ask for what you really want and I'm sure they will accommodate you, as I said before the waitstaff are friendly.

Also, we had no problem making reservations at the restaurants, but we were only 2 people.
Also, there were plenty of chairs available by the beach and by the pool.

One thing I would like to suggest to those traveling to this resort with children, I highly recommend using the far right beach area (directly in front of building 1) as the currents are much calmer, because for some reason there is a sandy shore further into the water that breaks the waves before they hit the main beach area on that part. We found out about this on our last two days there.

Bottom line, even though we did not have the "Royal Service" we still had fun. But, would we go back? probably not because of how disappointed we were with the food.

Room Tip: I definitely recommend ocean view. Also, Tower 1 seemed very quiet which we liked.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Saharism
PDCR, Quality Department at Paradisus Cancun, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. We always strive to provide a 5 star service to all of our guests, and your satisfaction is important to us. We would really appreciate your information and details on your stay because we can continue to improve our service. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope you will give us another opportunity to make your stay the best it can be.

Kind Regards,
forest hills ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

The hotel is beautiful, could not believe the greenery, even a pleasure to be in the hotel on a rainy day. The restaurants and buffets were all exceptionally good.Food selection at the buffets was wonderful and varied each day. The food at the restaurants was also very, very good and it is well worth it to eat at Tempo!!! I loved the ceviche/fish stew and many, many dessert selections and the fact that they offered enough variety to eat healthy or not at the buffets. The staff throughout the hotel could not be more accomodating (in the restaurants/gift shops/pool/bars/reception).Their gym has new, quality equipment. The bartenders made delicious drinks and were very pleasant.We had a beautiful ocean view and the hallways contain beautiful flowers and assorted tasteful sculptures. It is so nice that they have a golf course right on the premises and we were lucky enough to see a few iguanas on the course. The hotel is conveniently located across the street from a water sport facility and right in the hotel zone. The hotel room/grounds/restaurants were spotless and well maintained.I highly recommend this hotel, we had a great 4 days.

Room Tip: We had a top floor ocean view room and were quite happy with the location and view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ladonna4
El Paso
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed for 7 nights: end of May to beginning of Jun. This was my first trip to Cancun, and to Mexico.

Pros:
The hotel is beautiful.

Food was very good. Particularly, we loved the Japanese food at Bana restaurant (sashimi). The Market Grill steak was delicious, as well as the lobster.

There are some professional staff that are worth mentioning: Angelica at the Family Concierge, a true asset to the company, and a waiter at the Bana restaurant -the best we met there; unfortunately, I did not get his name.

The Family Concierge is a nice addition to a family with kids. They bring milk and cookies to your room at 7pm. They have a separate check-in/out, and separate activity rooms for kids.

Cons:
The room/suite is not very spacious and lacked the “wow’ factor. We stayed in a 1 bedroom ocean view - family concierge. The bedroom was smaller than the room/suites we stayed in at other 4 star hotels in the Carribeans, for considerably less money. The living room is extremely small, a bit larger than an opened sofa bed. The air conditioning in the living room was extremely noisy, you could not sleep, or worse, put a baby/toddler to sleep in there, as we originally thought of.

The bathroom is extremely small- the smallest I have seen in all my travels in the Carribeans. For a family with kids this may be difficult.

The ocean views are actually partial views- we had 2 balconies with partial ocean views.

The beach is quite steep. The waves were quite strong. There was a red flag all week. For somebody that pays a high price to come to Cancun just to bathe in a pool, that is really annoying.

The hotel got flooded due to the storm and heavy rains. Our room got flooded, too (we had bad weather 4 days out of the 7 of our stay). They did come in and put towels on the floor, around the balcony door, when we called them. There was water dripping everywhere, including the restaurants, and all staff was desperately trying to clean it. One or two elevators were out of order for quite some time. But for a 4.5 star hotel, to see all these disturbances seemed quite embarrassing.

Service was lacking quality in many areas. Water was not freely served at the table. You had to ask for it. In any (all-inclusive) restaurants water should be served at your table without having to ask for it, or at least be available for self service. Some waiters at morning or lunch buffet, seemed somewhat disorganized; you had to ask for coffee or water- sometimes having to remind them, instead of being asked if you needed anything. Some staff were not nice or probably waiting to tip them. Juan from the Family Concierge pool, would call you by your last name without using a Mr. or Ms.- plain rude. The 2nd and 3rd day of our stay we did not get the milk & cookies for our toddler, but after we complained to the concierge, we got them right on time.

Night Entertainment- completely inexistent. No shows, no dancing, no music in the hotel, no kids entertainment. Practically nothing to do at night, except for having a drink at the Avenue bar (which seems to be for adults only). As I said, we have travelled to the Carribeans for less money, and had stayed at hotels that had night entertainment every single day: excellent shows, followed by disco where everybody was invited to dance, very funny contests and lots of fun, live piano concerts in the lobby.

There is a scent throughout the hotel, probably coming from the spa, which was unpleasant for me; much like the scent in an Orthodox church during a Sunday service.

The hotel credits- one can barely take advantage of them. First, if you bought a 7-day stay –all inclusive, on line or through a travel agent, you probably are eligible to receive $ 1,000 worth of resort coupons. My advice, ask for them at check in time, or the receptionist will probably not tell you until the check out, as it happened to a friend of mine at Paradisus, Playa del Carmen. At check in, I was not told about the hotel credits, and I asked Fernanda at the end, who then told me that we qualified, and I should come the next day to pick them up. But here is the catch: The coupons are divided in such a way that one either spends more money on wine, spa treatments, or dinner at Tempo (adults only), or one loses them. The $1,000 is broken down as follows:

1*$300 to upgrade your room; chances are they will not be able to upgrade it, so you lose it- it happened to a family we met there.

3*$50 in spa treatments. Spa is extremely expensive. The only spa treatment I could find in exchange for one coupon was a wash and hair cut or a reflexology treatment, but I decided not to use it. You cannot buy a 30 min massage- and you have to sign that you agree with this.

6* $50 worth of food or beverage. One can use one coupon only per meal (not per day). So if you order lobster for you, you cannot use another coupon to buy a second lobster for your spouse. Also, you cannot use another coupon to order wine at the same time. It happened to us, so we only ordered one lobster which we divided in two.

5*$20 worth of wine coupons. But the cheapest wine is around $50US-if I was told correctly by the waiter, so you end up paying more than the value of the coupon for a bottle of wine. There is no wine list hard copy, they give you a tablet to scroll through the countries and wines. Go to COSTCO and buy good wine there, for less than $15 a bottle.

1*$150 dinner at TEMPO.

We will never return to Paradisus, and probably Cancun either.

4 Thank Cassiopeea
Dear Guest;

Please accept our sincere apologies for the experience you had during your recent stay with us. We strive to make every guests' visit a pleasant one and we regret this was not your impression. We value your input and will use it as we work to improve our guests' experience and hope to have a second chance the next time you are in Cancún.

Red Oak, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Before I give our review, first understand who we are so you can appreciate the review fully. We are a family of 4 (husband, wife, 19 yr old son and 12 yr old daughter) with upper-middle class status. We are your normal family...love sports, even in the nosebleed sections. We love to eat at Cracker Barrell and Outback, and spend money on the Melting Pot only 2 times a year for birthdays. Meaning, we like good stuff, but are REAL and are cautious on how we spend our money. We are NOT traveling snobs...but we sure do appreciate being spoiled.

And being spoiled is something we DEFINITELY were on our trip to Paradisus Cancun!!!

Beautiful hotel, BREATHTAKING views, incredible service, I could go on and on. I'll try to break it down for you:

1. Family Conceirge Service....GET IT! It's BEYOND worth the price! From having the most perfect location with the best view of the ocean, to having our own private bali-bed at the pool/beach perimeter, to having our own private cell phone to call our personal "butler" to handle all our reservations, etc., to our children even getting nightly milk and cookies delivered to them before bed....I cannot say enough about how incredibly spoiled we are were! Sitting on the bali-bed by the beach/pool and simply saying, "wow, a cheeseburger sounds great right now" and then BAM!!! Having one delivered to our bed...WITHOUT EVEN OFFICIALLY ORDERING IT!!! Juan was our pool concierge and he took care of every single need AND want each day we spent out there!! And Elena and Carla and Patti and Fernada were absolutely PERFECT in catering to our every needs/wants as our butlers. My daughter was absolutely amazed and said, "Mom, is that how princesses are treated? I can totally get used to this!"

2. Location...the beach was perfect! Seriously...perfect! We lived several years in Hilton Head Island, SC and Miami, FL and the waters here in Cancun were the best we've ever seen....and the beach, though not as soft as Carolina sand, was soft enough to be barefoot even for my tender feet. The waves were GREAT! Big enough for excitement, yet not dangerous (which we were worried about due to the storm that was just leaving the area - it rained our first day there)

3. Hotel...absolutely beautiful! First off, no matter where you walked, the hotel smelled like a spa. We were constantly inhaling to get a good "whiff" of the spa-like scent. The interior landscape and layout of the restaraunts with the fountains and ponds and fish...absolutely luxurious. The place is rather large, but the layout walkways made it very easy to get to wherever you wanted to get to.

4. Food...Vento and Fuego were by far the best places to eat. Absolutely couldn't go wrong with anything we ordered. And there were 4 of us and we made sure to order all differently and share, to get a taste of all of it. And every thing at both places were PHENOMENAL. The Market Grill and Naos were good to very good. Our only problem with Market Grill was our first day there, we waited 30 minutes for someone to come and take our order...and then another 30 minutes to get the food. But, it was very clear they were short staffed (maybe due to the storm that day they let people off?? I don't know). Market Grill was our least favorite from taste as well. But, still good. The buffet at Naos was very good considering it was a buffet. Nice variety, fresh food, we were very pleased...again, considering it was a buffet. Mole' was very good too. Not our favorite though. Vento and Fuego were the favorites of all four of us.

5. Hotel Room...this was the only thing disappointing for us. BUT, I need to tell you this so you'll know where its coming from. We are NOT traveling snobs, but we ARE sleeping snobs. (haha) We have temperpedic beds, AND due to a hysterectomy, I have night sweats and deal with the same hot flash-type stuff that menopausal women deal with. THAT BEING SAID...we all found the beds uncomfortable and had to sleep (all 4 of us) in separate beds to be able to maneuver ourselves into a comfortable position. Also, it was VERY WARM while sleeping, and they didn't have any fans available. The temperature was comfortable enough when awake, but when trying to sleep, we all were too warm to sleep in comfort. (so, bring a fan if you can). However, everything else about the room was awesome. ENGLISH TV channels (yay!) and a stocked fridge...fast service from maids, etc. for any need we had.

We've been to Playa Del Carmen (Secrets Capri), Omni at Cancun in Mexico. We've been to Disney World, New Orleans, Memphis, San Antonio, and many other places in the states. And this was by far the best family vacation we have EVER taken. and Secrets Capri (in Playa) was the best Couples vacation we have ever taken. Both of those vacations were through CheapCaribbean.com ... THAT IS NOT A COINCIDENCE! We will always go through them for our vacations and will always recommend them. Thank you so much, Kelly and everyone else at Cheap Caribbean!

3 Thank 36HeatherH
Tracy, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

First off I would like to thank Trip Advisor, after reviewing several hotels we chose Paradisus Cancun. I had not been to Cancun in over 20 years so I did not know what to expect. Let me tell you we were not disappointed!!!

The minute we arrived we were warmly greeted and checked in with no problems. We had an Ocean View Junior Suite overlooking the pool and beach, the room was clean and the view was amazing.

The food was excellent with a nice variety to select from. We never had a problem making reservations at the 7 restaurants. The food was tasty and I never felt like their were not enough choices especially for the kids. We especially enjoyed Fuego and the Market Grill.

The Service was Outstanding and we felt like ROYALTY... I can't remember how many times I was asked if everything was OK or if I needed anything. The servers were great. In Noas, Beltizar and Sandra were excellent and went out of there way to make sure we had everything we needed. Many times bringing us drinks without us asking. Noas supervisor Paola was unbelievable as she would go out of her way to greet my 6 year old identical twin daughters by playfully mixing up there names, and bringing them special treats. Acuncion and Lety were great and kept our glasses full at both the pool and beach without asking. Everyone was extremely helpful and catered to our every need. I never felt so catered too and while on vacation in beautiful Cancum made it even more Amazing!!
Helpful Tip: These people work extremely hard to serve you so I brought several small bills to tip them. They were graciously appreciative and paid even closer attention us.
We had the amazing experience of watching the Sea Turtles come on the beach and lay there eggs at night. The staff let us watch and educated us on the process. It was especially educational for the kids who made us go every night to see if one would come. During our 7 nights we saw a total of 7 and heard there were several more that we didn't see. It was really neat!!!
I would definately recommend Paradisus Resort and would like to thank there staff for their Service and Hospitality. We will definately be back and will not wait 20 years to do so!!!

3 Thank Serjio M
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is our second time at this hotel, first time was in May of 2012 when it was gran melia. We were there from June 1-10th. We had 3 days of nonstop rain and thunder, but enjoyed the hotel and the spa. Most of the servers and staff are kind and very helpful, to name a few Joel at Mole and the hostess Margarita, Juan at Tempo(who accommodated a double portion of the fish since I don't eat meat), Ignacio Vasquez and Gerardo Cox at Naos, Natanael (who had the chef make me grilled fish, even though only meat is served at the Market Grill) and Jose. We had the all inclusive and the tips are included, but could not leave without tipping the servers as they went above and beyond to serve us in any way possible. Thank you for a great experience!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends