“Do NOT stay here!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Brazil
“Do NOT stay here!”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

What a terrible experience! Upon our arrival, after 2 hours to check-in and a very tired baby, we are informed that the promotion we booked with EXPEDIA was actually a little booklet with some louzy coupons. The reason we booked this hotel was because we would get a $200 dollar hotel credit, that we thought we could use to buy food, go to the spa, etc.

After that, the hostess kindly take us to our rooms and tell us that the first morning breakfast was free. We happily get to the NAOS restaurant the following morning and look like complete idiots when informed that there was no free breakfast, but a charge of 35 dollars per person for a crappy buffet.

We came with our daughter who wakes up early, so we were always the first ones to get to the pool in the morning. Let me tell you that there were no chairs available to use, they were all marked with towels/books/sun lotion. We found out that there was a "mafia" of people who pretended to be guests, who actually worked at the hotel for tips to get you a chair. Ridiculous! These people will do anything to get your money!

I felt unsave the whole time. Now reading some of the reviews I consider my family lucky because we didn't get robbed.

The hotel is beautiful, it looks like a 5 star hotel but has a 1 star service. The food SUCKS. Service the worst I have ever experienced. I had to ask for shampoo, soap, new towels EVERY SINGLE DAY.

The bathroom smelled like sewage and I had to call several times to get someone in maintenance to take a look. The guy arrives at the room with some scented bleach and tried to cover the problem.

I would NOT recommend this hotel to my worst enemy!!!!!

14 Thank sabetudobrasa
PDCR, Quality Department at Paradisus Cancun, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Sabetudobrasa,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the Paradisus Cancún Resort. We are, however, very disappointed to hear of the challenges you endured while you were here. We take all comments and criticisms seriously and appreciate the time you took to provide your feedback.

Everyone at the Paradisus Cancún aspires to ensure that all of our guests receive an exceptional experience and regret that we did not achieve this goal.

Your review has been shared with our Management Team so that we can improve in the key areas mentioned in your review so that we can continue to maintain the high level of service we are known to provide.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,068)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
DC
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My stay involved myself, wife, 18 year old daughter and her friend, in 2 rooms. It was all inclusive with Royal Service. First of all if, you are any kind of sophisticated traveller and can afford it, Royal is the way to go, but they do not allow children under 18 so there is that requirement which is part of the benefit if you are so inclined. We were in building 5 ( lagoon view) which is the Royal building with its own concierge. The staff were extremely friendly, efficient and attentive. As with any hospitality situation in Mexico it goes a long way if you can or at least try to speak even high school spanish. These are very warm people after all and they appreciate the effort you make to treat them with respect.

I have read many negative reviews here and it appears that the renovations made to pretty much all the restaurants as part of the changeover to Paradisus was the problem. Since our stay began 12/27 for 7 nights fortunately most of the heavy work was done. There was no noise, very few workers and they were doing mostly finishing work. In that regard, I would strongly suggest to the hotel that ALL the restaurant windows, both interior and exterior, be cleaned thoroughly as they are appear to have not been done so since the renovations. A positive is that there are 5 restaurants that serve only a la carte, in that they do not offer buffets. This is in addition to Naos which is the all buffet restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner not associated with, but available to Royal guests. Over all the food is average to better than average depending on the restaurant. Tempo is definitely the top of the line and can compete in any US city for fine dinning. Presently it has a tasting menu with 7 courses. The maitre d informed us that in several weeks there will be a change to a full menu service. Reservations in all a la cart restaurants are recommended, even before arriving via email to the hotel, especially in peak weeks.

The Royal guests have their own private pool area with out door bar, restaurant and waiter service in the pool area and on the beach. This is in addition to an indoor lounge area that is open for a lighter breakfast and for pre-dinner cocktails and snacks.

Now for a few areas that need improvement. The Naos buffet is nowhere near the quality to be expected for this hotel. Nothing looks terribly appetizing nor very creative in its layout. But if you looking for quantity and have kids, this can work for you.
The absence of a true "seafood" restaurant, given the location on the beach seems to be a minus. Strangely, there is a "meat carnival" known by many different names around the country where various meats such as beef, lamb, chicken, sausage, pork and turkey are brought out on skewers in a restaurant called "The Market Grill". For me, this just didn't seem to work in such a locale as this.

The gym is well below adequate. It is much too small for the size of the hotel. With only 2 treadmills, there is never enough equipment available. (On my last day 2 more were added)
We did not use the SPA but were given a tour and it seems to be top of the line in the services it offers.

Lastly, I would like to see a private, fine dinning restaurant for Royal Service. Personally, I am somewhat fussy about having young children nearby when dinning in a resort. The only way around this is to make late reservations at the Paradisus and that is not a guarantee.

So, to summarize, this was a great way to spend the year end holiday with the family. The beachfront in the Cancun hotel zone is among the best I have ever seen. The weather is very comfortable. There are many hotels in the zone and I am sure many are as good as or even better than Paradisus; there are probably some that are worse. That's the way it goes. Ultimately its what we make of it and how we deal with the occasional glitches that always seem to come up on vacation. The important thing is that we are usually with people we love.

Room Tip: Stay out of the main building. The music at night is loud and it rises up the pyramid
4 Thank DCTransient
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I was there with my wife and 2 kids for Christmas and New Year 2012. We stayed a total of 10 nights. We had an all-inclusive package. We only have great things to say about our stay. From the greeters at the door, to the waiter on the beach, everyone was very proffessional and very helpful. Our check-in process was seemless. Our rooms were always comfortable, tidy, and clean. The breakfast and lunch buffets were very good, althought at times, the variety of dishes suffered from the hotel being fully booked at this time of the year. The beach was fantastic as usual. We would have appreciated some heated pools for the kids in december, but I guess it is Cancun after all, and it's hot most of the year. The kids club was very entertaining to our children, and gave me and my wife quite a bit of alone relaxing time. I used the Spa facilities, including the warmed hydrotherapy pool, the sauna, and the vapor room. They were all excellent, and the staff was very attentive.
The New Year party was excellent, they had a DJ from NYC, and he kept the night very alive. The dinner before the party was standard, but the wine was excellent.
Overall we had a great time, and we were very impressed by the attentive staff that eventually came to know us by name. We would defenitelty go again.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here for 4 days in september. Its a horrible hotel, dirty and poor service. will not stay here again. The in hotel restaurants are sub-par and too expensive for the quality. Find another hotel. There are much better deals for your money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Aimen
Dear Mrs. Aimen

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We always try to provide our guests with a valuable stay. We will review your comments with our team to ensure our quality food and amenities are consistent with our prices.

We will look into the situation and will take any necessary action to neutralize the problem. We hope you will reconsider staying with us on your next trip to the area.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here in a group of 17 (friends and family), and everyone was hugely disappointed. We have all been to Mexico countless of times. This hotel was supposedly renovated, but it shows no signs of same. The place is horrible. The rooms smell of mold. The buffets and food everywhere was mediocre. Upon checking out we were prevented from physically leaving in the car because we hadn't received what they call an exit voucher from the checkout staff even though we had prepaid in full and had a credit card on file. Upon trying to receive the voucher, they made countless mistakes delaying our hotel departure unreasonably. All 17 of us have traveled extensively, and we were all shocked at the low standards and bureaucracy at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Lovetotravelygc
Dear Lovetotravelygc,

We regret your disappointment can assure you we're addressing this with our staff. We appreciate you alerting us to this issue and we hope you will give us a second chance to make it up to you.

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 1, 2013

It pains me to write this, because I look forward to our annual trip to Cancun every winter and had even impressed hard to please in laws with a fabulous stay at the Gran Melia in the past. Prior to arrival, I was told in 4 separate emails that construction would be finished by the time we arrived on Dec 18th. That was not the case, and while the work was being done very quickly it still created a lot of noise, kicked up debris, and smelled like a mix of chemicals. Shortly after arrival, we ran into 2 different people who had been robbed which was very unsettling. Negative reviews that we had read on TripAdvisor before coming suddenly disappeared mid stay, all the way back until Dec 2011. Weird. On to drinks. Be careful with the margaritas. They use some sort of sour mix that got me sick after having 2 the first day of vacation. I'd recommend sticking with beer, pina coladas or trying tequila with soda water and fresh lime instead. Reservations at the restaurants were very difficult to get even with the help of a concierge. Make sure you have the reservation slip in writing. Don't bother with the sushi restaurant unless you enjoy blocks of rice with cream cheese cubes. On a positive note, the waiters at the restaurants were very good and attentive, which helped ease the frustration. Things came to a head when our group of 8 was at first turned away for our reservations at Tempo due to 2 of the gentlemen wearing jeans. Upon arrival, we were given a paper outlining the required resort casual attire for men as including jeans and had to go back to the room to get this piece of paper as proof. This issue could have been handled by management in a non-combative way. Once we got through that, dinner was very good and if you can get into Tempo, I'd highly recommend it. Fit for foodies. Checkout was a nightmare with long lines and miscommunication. Thankfully, we were heading to Playa del Carmen afterwards so real relaxation could begin. Every time it seemed like things were getting back on track something else bad would happen. The beautiful beach front and private balcony facing the ocean aren't enough to carry the rest of the baggage involved.

Room Tip: Go for Ocean View in the main building. Construction was taking place in the Royal Service area.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JDNY23
Dear JDNY23,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding our hotel. We take all comments and criticisms seriously and appreciate the time you took to write your review. Everyone at the Paradisus Cancún aspire to ensure that all of our guest receive an exceptional experience.

We regret that we did not achieve this goal. We hope that one day you will afford us an opportunity to restore your confidence in the Paradisus Cancún Resort.

Thank you for the oportunity to contact you.

NY
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We had admired this hotel from afar when it was the Gran Melia and had always hoped to stay here one day. So, when I saw it available for an inexpensive week thru RCI, we gave it a try. Upon checking in we were offered all inclusive for an additional $190 a night which we declined. The idea being we would try outside restaurants for the week. We were also offered Royal service for $98 a day which we tried for one night.
We were checked in easily with no wait at 1:00 and shown to an ocean front room with a large balcony in building two. I had previously stopped by and requested oceanfront be written in as a request. So I was initially happy with the room.
By day three, I had a persistent cough all night and occasionally thru the day. After two days of this I realized it was tied to the air conditioning in the room. So after that we slept with the air cond. off and the sliding door open and my breathing improved. My guess is that the air conditioning filter has never been cleaned. Other than that the room was fine, clean, hot water, good amenities a TV that also got NBC and ABC, a cushy pillow top mattress, a free bottles of water to start. But, the pillows were terrible. my husband said his ear hurt at night because the pillow would become hard. However, mid- stay for no apparent reason, our TV was traded out and now we only had Spanish channels Fox News. When we questioned this, we were told it hadn't happened! Also, it's worth mentioning that there are a lot of stairs. Literally 2 flights to get to the beach. Some of the few elevators were out of commission. Many of the bathrooms were downstairs. If you use a walker or wheelchair, you cannot get around.
When we arrived, the hotel seemed to be at 30% capacity. This was mid December and the signs of change over to Paradisus were most notable in that the two largest restaurants by the pool areas were being remodeled. We were ok for breakfast and indeed the buffet was excellent for the first few days. The waiter would bring us bottles of water, there was many different cheese, bacon, cream cheese and salmon, made to order omeletes etc. but each day we noticed an increase in guests and a decrease in what was offered at the buffet. First to go was the bottled water. And we were told we could only have tap water, then one day cream cheese with no lox, and the next day lox with no cream cheese. Then the bacon disappeared and the fancy pineapple marmalade. By the last two days, we had a solution. We made friends with one of the waiters, tipped him heavily and he went into the kitchen and brought us, bacon, cream cheese and lox, and made me capachinos. Problem solved. Incidentally as Melia members breakfast was only $20 if you showed your MAS card (half price).
Lunch was a whole bunch of problems. We wanted to eat poolside or at the beach. There was no restaurant open! So we had to order from staff who would gladly bring you a $12 hamburger, hot dog, or nachos or wings. That was the whole menu! So we had a lousy $40 lunch (with soda) every day.
Incidentally the towel game is played big time as there aren't enough chairs. If you wait until 11, you're out of luck and mind y ou we're at low capacity. There are about 15 Bali beds which rent for $25. Or $15 for RCI. Which we were doing every day. Do not go at 7:00am to rent like they say. Book thru your concierge or you will be out of luck.
So, as I said we did Royal Service for one day. We didn't do the week as we felt it wasn't worth it. The drinks in the evening were very nice. Top shelf. Also the appetizers were pretty good, and if you weren't too hungry that could do it for dinner. The breakfast was only a pale imitation of the regular buffet. In fact we saw RoyalService people over at the regular buffet as it was so much better. The Bali bed is included in Royal Service, but NO service is included in Royal Service. This is why we quit. While water and soda is free for Royal Service. You have to inside to help yourself. If the waiter brings it to you, he has to charge you! They did explain that if we were all inclusive that wouldn't have happened and that we could have called our butler to bring us a water. But that seemed ridiculous. So, Royal Service is no good unless your already all inclusive.
Now, as I said we wanted to eat out every night and check out the lively restaurant scene. Well that was a disaster. We're from NY. We're used to paying a lot and getting great food. Well in Cancun, they've figures out that they can charge NY prices and give you Mexican food. We had one bad meal after another. The only good meal we had, in fact it was a GREAT meal was at La Madonna restaurant in La Isla. The service was discreet, the atmosphere was five star and the food and drinks were perfect. Unfortunately it was our last night or we could have repeated it.
As our vacation was winding down, Christmas was approaching and we noticed lines everywhere. We felt sorry for these people who will get a scaled down buffet. And poor service.

Room Tip: Avoid building 3, I heard it's noisy. Bring your own pillow, and check the air conditioner filt...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Lilandrob
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
GR Caribe by Solaris
GR Caribe by Solaris
#25 of 175 in Cancun
Great Parnassus Family Resort

Been to Paradisus Cancun? Share your experiences!