“Beautiful hotel, average experience”

Hotel Xbalamque Resort & Spa
Ranked #153 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed July 29, 2014

This hotel is in reasonable proximity to the ADO bus station and perfectly adequate for our one night stay passing through, however not a neighborhood with much going on besides daily life. I would not consider this a resort or tourist destination. The building however is extremely beautiful and exudes a museum like quality. The Mayan architecture and decorations, Spanish language poetry and historical maps on the walls make the hotel very memorable. The beds are reasonably comfortable, but equipped with just sheets, no blankets. Bathroom is rustic and one towel per guest. The pool/garden area is small but lovely and classic feeling with wrought iron tables for sitting and a little water fall creating ambiance. The continental breakfast option is not worth the trouble; service and food quality is poor. Overall, the hotel was fine for our purposes, however we would not choose to vacation here.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Xbalamque Resort & Spa

Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

I was greeted with a smile even after I checked in at 5am after my flight from Australia was delayed for 24 hours. The hotel was full & still they kept my booking for me even though I showed up 1 day late. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean, shower was hot. I absolutely loved my stay. Would recommend to everyone based on the service alone!

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank MegsiCurran
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

- money stolen from room first day
- air conditioning so loud you can hear it from several rooms away and you can't sleep
- maids come every morning and wake you up when you finally do get to sleep
- bar staff would often tell us that they ran out of beer

Do not stay here

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank RobG64121
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Everything is good except for the low quality Internet and bathroom... amazing people always willing to help, great location to see the downtown but far away (30 mins by bus) from the beaches and clubbing zone.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ChrisTian O
Reviewed June 29, 2014

On its exterior, this hotel is pleasing to the eye with the mayan replicas, statues and murals all of which tell of Mexico's ancestral past. For history enthusiasts, it is wonderful.

The room- barely basic room, hard bed which consisted of a concrete base with thin mattress and very flat pillows. The room did not feel clean,

Rooms contain virtually no furniture aside from the bed; a concrete structure which serves as a closet and a concrete shelf therein to place your suitcase. There is no dresser to place your clothes, just a wooden counter and 6 small decorative storage boxes beneath. The air condition unit is an extremely loud window unit which may even disrupt the sleep of a deep sleeper and did not sufficiently cool the room.

When I arrived, the bed was unmade, the only light bulb in the room did not work and there were no towels. I asked a housekeeping lady on the floor to assist but she told me that I have to wait till she gets to my room! I ended up speaking to the consierge/bellboy/maintenence guy who brought me a blanket, very worn towels and replaced the light bulb. I almost got the impression they they were not prepared for my arrival and this saddened me because I arrived well after check in time!

The bathroom- a quaint wall separates the shower from the toilet. No place for the soap so you have to put it in the 'window' cut out on the wall. The floor of the shower has a rough stone finish which is no doubt a challenge to clean so the mildew is clearly visible. Same for the stone counter top. The toilet worked well.

The continental breakfast consisted of toast, butter, jam, corn flakes and fruit. No hot items besides the coffee.

The pool is beautiful and adjoins a 'victorian' looking garden with massive trees and plants and plenty garden furniture. Definitely an asset to Xbalanque.

There is a Travel Agency in the lobby and Nathaniel was very helpful in arranging my tours to Xcaret and Chichen Itza. Credit cards accepted.

There are lots of restaurants within walking distance.

I did not choose Xbalanque with luxury in mind but I did expect the basics and some level of comfort which was not forthcoming, needless to say my stay there was disappointing. But if all you require is a place to put your head amidst Mayan history you will be okay here.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street tend to be noisy so ask for one located on the inside.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank INDIRA R
Reviewed May 14, 2014

some people will say that this hotel has something in it but others will argue that this is just cheap decoration for tourists...

Anyway room was not clean but neither was it clean. The AC was distributing a mouldy smell all over the room apart from the enormous noise. There is a small patio and a pool with sunbeds around. The positive side is the staff which was very helpful. They helped me to find a car wash and a laundry and even took an effort of walking me to the place which was really nice. On the other hand the breakfast was a joke... There were only fruits, coffee was awful and you could not get any juice or water.unless you pay extra.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2014

The rooms were quite basic. The air con was loud, the shower was terrible; cold water, small shower head with futile pressure at best and quite dirty. The front desk was somewhat helpful but the maid service was frustrating. I was constantly going to the front desk to ask for toilet paper and towers, almost every day I was there. The decoration of the walls was quite interesting and gave the whole hotel a nice aura, the free breakfast was a basic buffet style, which had cold pancakes and some fruit. The pool was the nicest part of the hotel; outdoors with a quaint water fall, which barley had anyone there. My biggest concern with this hotel was my bill. I had to give a credit card to make a reservation, but I told them that I wanted to pay with cash, at the end of my stay I paid them in cash, but I check my credit card a few days later and they still charged the full amount to my card. I'm still not sure if they tried to scam me or it was a mistake, but I did get it sorted out after a long and tedious phone call. Over all it was a mediocre stay, much cheaper than what most of cancun has to offer, but If you are traveling on a budget I would skip it and head for a hostel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple