“Stay away from this hotel!”

Hotel Xbalamque Resort & Spa
Ranked #154 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I spent 5 nights in this hotel in Cancun because all the other hotels were fully booked. I really cannot recommend this hotel! It is way too expensive for a maybe 2 star hotel. far from the beach and in a really ugly and noisy area. The stuff was unfriendly and hardly helpful. The rooms smell very musty and the air conditions are very noisy and old. The service is really bad. The restaurant I unfortunately can't recommend either. A lot of things on the menue they can't serve and I got the worst food poispning ever from their quesadillas. They put boiling chicken into my quesadillas which was just super nasty and made me sick for 3 days. I asked them to give me at least back the money for those quesadillas which they just didn't want to! The worst in this hotel is, that is is incredibly noisy at night. They play the loudest music all night long and won't ever apologize for it or offer you a refund.
Just really stay away from this hotel, there a lot better ones in Cancun.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Ivan R, E-commerce Executive at Hotel Xbalamque Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

I´m so sorry for all inconvenients. All of comments will send it at General Manager, in order to improve all areas.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Have passed by this hotel several times during the evenings on my previous trips to Cancun and as the rate was quite reasonable, we decided to try it for one night this year. Both the outside and the inside is MUCH nicer in the dim evening light than during daylight but then it do look nice. We had booked one of the suites and was first given one facing the busy street so we asked if there was one available that was less noisy. The reception was very kind and gave us immediately a huge nice suite away from the street. We were really happy and grateful, until the ventilator outside our window started late evening and kept going during the whole night. Even though the window was closed the humming kept disrupting our sleep, together with music coming from below. The complimentary breakfast in the nice restaurant was ok but rather basic. There is a nice big pool but we were unlucky with the weather so it was too cold to try it. Guess it is an ok hotel with central location but quite boring and nothing special so would not choose it again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ivan R, E-commerce at Hotel Xbalamque Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We will consider all of situations. All of this will send to General Manager. In order to improve all our service. Hopefully that in your next visit to Cancun the weather will be friendly.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel in Cancun Centro has charm and heart. It's not Hotel Zone fancy, but it has everything you need, and more, at a very reasonable price.

The staff is very friendly, polite and helpful. We based from Xbalamque on arrival to Cancun, returning from side trips to Isla Mujeres and Chichen Itza, and felt right at home by our third visit.

The halls are beautifully decorated with paintings of Mayan scenes, and poetry by various Spanish and Mexican authors. There is a tempting blue-tiled pool with a little grotto built in.

Attached to the hotel are 3 or 4 bars, a local theater (Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights), and a restaurant. It's just a couple of blocks from the Zocolo, which is a ton of fun to visit in the evenings when the locals and families come out. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the bus station, or you can hire a taxi.

One note that may be helpful: if it's cool and you need blankets for the bed (they usually just put on sheets), ask for a "cobija" or maybe a "frazada", and not a "manta".

Room Tip: The bottled water dispenser is on the 2nd floor, so if you don't want to run upstairs or downsta...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your comments. We will consider all of recommendations. We hope see you again in Hotel Xbalamqué, in your next visit to Cancún, México.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Spend 3nights at pool view room on Feb.2013. Checking review & take care for security as chain locked luggage with desk.
Facility is dated, breakfast which is included is fruits , toast & coffee. Room is bright & not so noisy. Shower pressure is not strong, but hot water is coming.
Many cheap restraints at park is just back side. Bus terminal is only 5min.walk.
Overall this hotel is acceptable range by budget less than U$50.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tsurupack

Thank you for your comments. We will consider all of them.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Given wrong room at late check in, Luggage lost while attempting to get new Suite which we had reserved the next day. On third day luggage was gone from locked room, which had been cleaned by the staff? Hotel Manager sticks with his story to go to Canadian embassy and they will take care of everything, even pay for lost items. They did offer $500.00 for both suitcases with all our clothes if we didn't go to the police? Too bad as bar and restaurant staff were real nice!

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank FortTraveller

I´m so sorry for this inconvenient. All of this will send to General Director.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

After asking many times, if found the pronunciation is: sha - balam - k

I initially booked this hotel for first 2 nights of a 7-night stay... just in case it didn't turn out.

The room was clean, everything about the place says "Mayan". I was initially was offered a room on the street side, but they quickly found me a pool/garden side room when I asked for "una habatacion tranquillo". A very quiet room, even with the windows open. The AC worked, but was a little loud.. probably a good thing since I always carry ear plugs and it masked the morning hallway sounds after a late night salsa dancing.

I found the internet connectivity to be weak in the rooms. Connections were frustrating using my netbook. Even in the lobby with a strong signal, I had trouble with timeouts.

This place is a few blocks from most everything you want downtown. Mercado 28, Walmart, Mambo Cafe, Av Tulum, Plaza las Americas, and Parque de las Palapas. It is only a few blocks to the ADO bus station which takes you to the Airport or anywhere else in Mx. And if you want to go to the beach, it is just 8 pesos (abt $0.75) on the city bus. Parque de las Palapas, located only 1 block behind the hotel, is the center of evening activity for the locals with many little authentic Mexican food stands, families getting together and free live events many evenings. A block away hippies sell their wares. This hotel is in an excellent location.. close but quiet. (One of the well-known Caribbean bands playing at the park were staying here.. I was so surprised to see them hanging out in the lobby after enjoying their concert.)

After my first night, I quickly booked the remainder of my stay there. The staff offered to match my Hotels.com rate if I paid locally, but paying through Hotel's US site, I avoided international credit card fees and got points on my card.

The breakfast is light, coffee, toast and fruit. This isn't an AI resort, but it is a nice start to the day. You just have to get a ticket daily from the front desk.

The pool was nice, clean, shady and a nice garden nearby. This probably isn't the place to work on your tan, but it is nice. The water was a little cool in November. The staff; desk and housekeepers were nice and helpful. No security issues.

Overall, it was a good place. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which faces the pool/garden. They also have suites, if you have a larger group and w...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Barry_in_Seneca
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed there for 3 nights. our stay was very good! The reception staff were friendly, our room was large and clean, all amenities in working order. great location and lots to do around the hotel area! we really enjoyed our stay here and I would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple