“The best holidays ever”

Secrets The Vine Cancun
Ranked #5 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed October 24, 2013

It was absolutely wort upgrading to the Preferred Club. Definitely coming back.
Amazing hotel. New, clean. Professional staff members. great quality of food, choice of restaurants, and the most important thing - no children:)

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Mateusz G
Write a ReviewReviews (9,280)

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Hotel design is spacious, beautiful, clean design with amazing lighting. Food rivals Valentin Imperial Maya hotel in Playa del Carmen. Very good and high quality. Service over all is great. I accidently left my safe open and they locked it up for me and left card informsng me of what happen. Nothing was taken. Also lost my hat, it was dripped of to lost and found by the workers. Concierge got it from lost and found for me. They have policies for customer protection and satisfaction. I highly recommend Secrets The Vine.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank KBTLWD
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I would like to start off by saying that my husband and I stayed at Dreams Cancun, Valentin Imperial Maya, and Secrets Silversands in 2011. From this experience, my husband and I both agree that Secrets Silversands had the best food with Dreams coming in second, and Valentin in last.
We were so excited to book this trip to Secrets the Vine. We stayed Oct 15 – 21st and had impeccable weather. We are in hurricane season and were crossing our fingers. We are very fortunate for our sunny weather ( 6 days of sun).

Hotel:

The hotel itself is gorgeous. It smells great wherever you are. The people that work there are always moving and working so hard. It almost makes you feel bad because the days we were there were very hot and sunny. It would be nice to see if they could wear shorts and a lighter top. I absolutely love the layout of this hotel. I had read many trip advisor reviews, so was a little nervous about the whole Vegas/South Beach feeling. However, it was perfect. Unlike the other resorts we have stayed at, you didn’t have to walk far to get to anything. The layout is perfect.

Rooms:

We arrived around noon time, so were pretty sure our room would not be available as I have read check in is around 3:30. We prepared for this by wearing our bathing suits under our clothes in order to enjoy the pools while we waited. My one slight complaint is that we requested a room (beforehand) with one king-size bed. They were very apologetic and stated that they only had rooms available with 2 queen-sized beds, but that we could switch our room the next day. We told them we were fine with the 2 queen-sized beds. We just didn’t want to unpack, repack, and then unpack again.

Our room was very nice. We stayed in a deluxe ocean view room. I actually liked having the two beds for our nap time. There were plenty of drawer and closet space for our items. The shower is gorgeous that included a ceiling and a wall shower. The lighting fixture is a bit strange, but just play with it and you’ll get used to it. Don’t be impatient like me and hit all the buttons because you will get quite a light show. Oh! The room included a scale. It’s quite scary to see your weight creep up to an additional 10 pounds while you are here.

Our room was located on the 16th floor on the Hard Rock side. We loved it! There was one night where music was loud at the Hard Rock, but it was an early turn in night for us because we had been flying all morning and the time change put us into bed quite early that night. I do not believe the music played past 11pm.

The people next to us were very loud and did keep me up all night one night, but that’s not the resorts fault. There were just a lot of rude people that were inconsiderate of their neighbors. I forgot my ear plugs, but they would have helped. The beds are very comfortable, which I haven’t found at most hotels. I was utterly impressed.

Up sells:

I read a lot of complaints regarding the up sells. When we first arrived, we did sit with someone who gave us an overview of the resort. When we found she was trying to up sell something, we just kindly stated no and she was fine with that. However, if you want to take advantage of the spa, it may be worth going to one of the time-share meetings (90 min) to earn additional benefits. We did not do this, but will consider this when we go again because the spa smelled fabulous!

Food:

The food was generally very good. We ate at Olio (Mediterranean), Nebbiolo (Italian), Bluewater Grill (Steakhouse) twice – rib eye was fantastic, and Dragons (Asian) twice for dinner. At Dragons, we loved the crab Rangoon and spring rolls. Overall, food was very good. The service at all restaurants was excellent. They do offer a wine list for additional cost, but we stayed with the house wine which was mediocre. I would say equivalent to a Yellowtail. I feel bad saying this because all our servers were excellent, but didn’t start paying attention to names until the latter part of our week. Giovanni from Olio was very sweet and professional. We met a couple who stated that Olio and the Mexican Buffet were not that great. However, I really loved my meal at Olio (I had the trout and my husband had the fillet), so everyone’s taste and food preference are different. We ate at Sea Salt Grill and had the fish and shrimp tacos and the grouper on another occasion. All were good. I especially liked the pico de gallo and guacamole they serve with chips. The barefoot grill is wonderful where you can grab burgers, hot dogs, and they have a little buffet. We ate there twice for lunch as well. We ate at the Market Cafe for breakfast twice. I really liked the omelets station, but there are a lot of choices of fruits, Mexican cuisine, fish, sushi, sausage, eggs, etc. Room service food was excellent! We ordered a couple times for breakfast and late night beer munchies. The quality of the room service food was better here than any other resort we have experienced.

Pools:

There are three main pools in the lower section. They appear as infinity pools overlooking the gorgeous Caribbean Sea. It was breathtaking. We did not want to upgrade to a Preferred Room. We agreed that we liked all the activity that goes on at the main pool as well people watching. However, if you like something more private and quiet, then the Preferred Pool would be good for you.

I thought I would be disappointed that there was no pool bar, but the pool-side service was great and found no need. We had Albert serve us all week and he was such a delight. He worked so hard to make sure that everyone was happy with a drink in hand. He even helped me with my umbrella. Jamie was also a great bartender at the Manatees Bar.
There are plenty of chairs, but it gets a little frustrating that people reserve their chairs. Respectfully, chairs should not be reserved for more than 30 minutes, but there were some people that preferred these prime spots that would go early and reserve them. Like I said, there are plenty of chairs, but we always wanted to be in Albert’s section, so I made sure we were at the pool early.

Chef’s Parade was every day at 1pm. They would come out and serve you samples of food by the poolside.

Entertainment

Bethany, Winnie the Pooh (aka Jose), and Victor were a lot of fun. We didn’t partake into many activities because we wanted to relax, but did engage in minute-to-win-it a couple days and pool volleyball. Beach volleyball looked really fun, but I haven’t played in 2 years, so opted out.

I was bummed that during my stayed they didn’t have the Newlywed game. It must have fallen on a night when we left. The night entertainment is a lot better here than at the other resorts we’ve been to. Karaoke was crazy. Everyone was so talented, but you are competing for a 3 night stay to return to Secrets the Vine. I wanted to sing Royals by Lord, but they didn’t have it. It was a good sign. I wouldn’t have won anyway. That’s how fierce the competition was. We had a great server that night by the name of Jesus. He was great to converse with.
The Piano bar was lovely. It turns into a disco later in the evening. We had this great server all week and of course I can’t remember his name, but he wore glasses that had a white frame. This could be such a great dance club because the music was great, but many people chose not to dance. It closes at 2pm, so it was perfect for me, but others we ran into wanted to go to Coco Bongos at $75pp, which we found not worth it. We went to the Sports Bar one night to watch the Red Sox win and reserve their spot in the World Series. That was such a fun night and our bartender that night was great and I apologize for not remembering his name.

Beach:

The beach is gorgeous with white sand and no seaweed. The water is turquoise and warm. We went there very quickly to take dip in the ocean, but didn’t ever lay out there because it’s not a private beach and people will try to come up to you and sell you things. However, came in handy one day because my sunglasses broke. I walked right down to the beach where I found someone selling sunglasses right away. Nice.

Coffee Bar:

FABULOUS! We ordered coffee on ice (aka iced coffees) almost every day. We indulged in a frozen bailey’s drink that was also very good. The girls are so sweet there and are always smiling which is a great way to start your day.

Housekeeping:

The maid service was very good, but one thing I wish I had done earlier in the week is to call and reserve a time to have the maids come and turn over your room. There was one day we had way too much sun and wanted to go back to our room. It was around 1pm and our room still hadn’t been cleaned. We just called concierge and reserved a time every day for it to be completed. Viola! It was easy as that. We also had to call to have our mini bar stocked. A man came up right away. The hotel is very accommodating and will go the extra mile to make their guests happy.

Gym:

I loved this gym. It overlooks the Caribbean sea. It does get hot, but they have shades they pull down to block the sun from beating down on the glass windows. I do a lot of hot yoga, so it didn’t bother me, but I think it bothered others. They also have these two juice drinks that help rid the toxins of your body. I ran 3 miles at the gym four days in a row and still put on ten pounds from all my indulging. It was worth it.

Overall:

We had the time of our life. We are the type of people who would not go to the same resort twice, but from this experience, we would love to return to the Vine. We truly hope to return in the future. It was our planned last trip for a while to celebrate my husband’s 30th birthday and that I received my baccalaureate degree. We are thinking family next, so you know how vacations get put on hold as a result.

My one gripe during my stay is not with the resort itself, but the people who stayed there. As we met a few couples that were very enjoyable, I observed my surroundings on how rude some of the guests were to other guests and even to the staff. I didn’t see a lot of people tipping, which angered me because the service works so hard. If people want to go to a place where they are not required to tip, then they should go to a Sandals where tipping is not allowed. I used to be a server in my state. We rely heavily on our tips and only made $2.35 an hour. We found by tipping the staff gave us the best service. Tipping will most likely improve your experience. My husband and I even made up a spreadsheet to allocate tips accordingly:
Bell Hop: $3
Daily Buffet: $1-2
Daily Lunch: $3
Daily Dinner: $4-6 depending on the extra mile our server went
Daily allowance on drinks per day: $20; this definitely varied. We tipped on every other drink usually between $1-2. However, if someone was extra special we left them with an extra $15 before we left.
Daily Housekeeping: $3 for the morning and $2 for turn down (they come twice/day).
Room service: $3 per occasion
*This is what we personally did, but allocate where you see fit.

Like I said, we stayed for 6 nights and brought $300-$400 in one dollar bills for tipping. We had extra money left over because we decided against any excursions. We didn’t want to leave the resort because we loved it so much.
Thank you Secrets The Vine for such a memorable trip!

We used USA Transfers for our round-trip to and from the airport. It was $55 total for the round trip and well worth it. It was very easy and they were right on time. It’s also a private transfer, so there was no need to worry about stopping at other hotels to pick up or deliver other guests.

Room Tip: You can request a room preference, but be aware it is not always guaranteed. The hotel was at 95% c...
11  Thank Tracy S
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The staff was top notch and the hotel itself is beautiful. We ate in three of the restaurants with mild expectations and we were very happy with the food. The Beach is also exceptionally clean and the sand was beautiful. Although the hotel was full we never felt that way.

Room Tip: Others disagree, but I thought the preferred uprade was worth the $30/night.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank taistrike
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We have been to many top hotels around the world and this is one of the best. We did have to change rooms as we were given a low floor with a view of the hotel opposite. We moved to floor 20,wow what a view. My husband did leave a negative comment on trip advisor saying he felt like a second class resident after we felt we were left for too long in the Italian restaurant when a new table of guests sat down next to us who were known to our waiter. Within 5 minuets of my husbands report going live Ivan the food and beverage manager phoned us up to ask what he could do to help. Ivan is a credit to the Secrets family and to the hotel as he helped make our holiday into a holiday to remember for many years to come. We dont normally go back to the same hotel as there are so many to chose from in around Cancun but we will only go back to Secrets of the Vine now.

Room Tip: Book the Chicago Rock side as the hotel the other sides extraction fans are very noisy,you cannot ha...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Louisepress
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Let me start by saying that we have stayed at the Iberostar, Riu, Secrets Capri, Secrets Marona Beach, and Secrets Silversands (all in Rivera Maya) and hands down Secrets the Vine is the BEST resort we have ever stayed in anywhere. It is not that the other Secrets resorts are bad, it is just because Secrets the Vine is so outstanding.

We arrived around 10:30 PM from a long and tiring flight to be greeted by Louis, who introduced himself as our butler (since I guess we booked a preferred club room). He took us up to the preferred club check-in, and we were happy to find out that we were upgraded to a preferred club junior suite on the 25th floor.

Room was large, beautifully furnished, and comfortable. A bottle of wine was there with two wine glasses and some fruit. The shower was unbelievable with a rain shower head and another traditional shower head. Beds was large and comfortable with very nice bedding. Fully stocked mini-bar that was replenished every day. Furniture was modern, however, very comfortable!!!

It was breathtaking looking out at the ocean and lagoon view. The area surrounding this resort is very beautiful with palm tree lined roads and beautiful hotels lining the beach.

Spent our days at the pool and the ocean. Two things I can say is that I did NOT miss the pool bar - There is a bar a few steps away from every pool and there are four pools. Waiters introduce themselves and cater to your every need - food and drink.

The ocean was the highlight of my trip. I have never honestly have seen a more beautiful beach. The water is aqua with white powder sand. I enjoyed swimming in the water. Anyone who complains that the water is rough has probably never swam in the Atlantic Ocean off the East Coast of the United States. Here there is no seaweed, rocks, or any sea creatures.... you can see you toes even standing in water to your neck.

Restaurants are excellent - no complaints!

People are friendly. We met people of all ages vacationing with their spouses, families, and friends. Met a large group from Scotland and had a wonderful time with them playing blackjack with their "Scottish" rules on Casino Night. They were very funny and made the night entertaining. Dannie, our blackjack dealer, was a delight for putting up with all our craziness.

We had a wonderful trip and will definitely be returning to this resort in the near future.

4  Thank Kathy N
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This Resort and its People were Amazing - And when I mean amazing I mean out of this world amazing.
Best 7 Days I have ever had.
Everything was perfect.
Attention to detail and friendliness of staff is reason enough to return soon.
Along with a Hotel that has state of the art everything and amazing amenities.
Food was very impressive from buffet rest to full service luxury dinning (No reservations required at any place)
Hotel has an Entertainment team that assures you have a wonderful time during the entire day (find these people day one, they are the best)
If you are trying to decide on a all inclusive in Cancun, don't look any further.
Thanks to Rene, Victor, Kara, Bethany and many more who's names I don't remember- Sorry :-( for the best vacation ever.
Hope to see all of you soon
J