“Cancun diamond”

Ranked #5 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Montreal, Canada
“Cancun diamond”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

One week is not enough . Wow. We loved this resort. Hotel is higher than we expected. Clean, beautiful, amasing junior suite (we were upgrade because my husband birsday) nice attention. We reserved at prefered club, the private swiming pool, highest floor room, concierge ( almost butler) service. Restaurants a la carte was nice (big thanks to saul and espacialy javier ). Sebastian was the best barman of our many times experiences in resorts.
Thanks for claudia , perla, blanca, fabian ( a must in pool area).
For dessert, 25 floor, concierge Mister Margharito always there but never intrusive. Very fast ,efficient to solve any demands.
Thanks to all the others that we forgot the names, but not the smiles.
We will be back for sure. :)

Room Tip: Junior suite is amazing.
3 Thank bduo1380

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,579)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Just returned from a fabulous trip to Secrets The Vine. We visited Secrets Maroma Beach two years ago so were expecting great things and were not disappointed!
The welcome was fantastic and after a very quick check in we were shown to our fabulous room. The view of the sea and lagoon was breathtaking from our large balcony! The room facilities were excellent and the glass shower was amazing!
Our butler was brilliant and made sure we had a bottle of fizz to celebrate our holiday.
The service at Secrets is absolutely outstanding. The staff cannot do enough to make your stay perfect in every way.
The restaurants were all excellent. Breakfast in the Market Cafe was great and the meet and greet team there were just a joy! There is something here to please every taste - Mexican, Asian, Italian, Peruvian, European. All were excellent.
We opted for the preferred club and enjoyed the additional benefits. The infinity pool was peaceful and the pool butler, Fabian, was superb. Blanca and her colleagues kept us topped up with fabulous drinks - always smiling!
We could hear the entertainment at the other pools and it sounded like a lot of fun was being had! The music was great and we enjoyed it in the background in our little haven of tranquility.
Secrets really get it right on all levels for us. The whole experience is wonderful and we can't praise this company enough. We will certainly be travelling to Secrets again in the future.

Room Tip: We were on the 25th floor and the views were incredible!
5 Thank J60bud
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I recently returned from a five day stay at Secrets the Vine. I had booked my flight and stay directly through the hotel, which was amazingly simple and I found the rates to be comparable to what I would find on Expedia or Orbitz. My friend and I decided to upgrade to the premium level and we were not disappointed with the service in the least. Please note that if you want a larger room, that you will only have one large bed. Since this was a girlfriends' trip, we wanted two beds and the room was just a standard size, which was disappointing. Also, there was no jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. That being said, there were no other complaints about the room. I have been traveling to the Cancun area for several years now, and have always noticed a "musty" smell, even in the newer hotels, but this was not the case at the Vine! Everything was spotlessly clean and not a hint of mildew even though the hotel is beachfront. We especially enjoyed the service at the upper level pool, with the infinity edge. What a delight to be pampered and waited on as soon as you enter the doors! The service everywhere was impeccable and all of the staff were courteous and eager to please. When we relaxed on the lounge chairs, not only did the staff provide us with towels, but they would use extra towels for headrests and leg rests as well. The food was excellent. We tried every restaurant except the Mexican buffet. The poolside restaurant and buffet was also quite good, and convenient if you don't want to leave the pool area. We were a little disappointed that the Asian restaurant did not have an area where they cook in front of you, but the food is still quite good there. What we really enjoyed were the wine tastings in the afternoon with Camella, our sommelier. We did the Spanish and French wine tastings. Every day, a different country is featured. We had one rainy day, which became a spa day for us. I had a hot stone massage, and it was one of the best I ever had. They invite you to come early so you can enjoy the water treatments and the steam and sauna. I was disappointed that they didn't have a quick dryer for swimsuits, but just remember to bring a change of clothes with you and you can shower there and leave in dry clothing. All in all, this was a great resort, with an urban setting in the heart of the hotel zone. It's a little more compact than other Dreams and Secrets resorts where I have stayed, but every bit as nice. I would definitely stay here again. I'll probably come back next time with my husband, as now he is curious to experience the resort for himself.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to a suite, by all means, do it! The larger rooms only have king sized beds.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank stacyeg79
Linlithgow, Scotland
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I booked our holiday at Secrets the Vine, Cancun through Elliot at Dial-a-flight, and want to take this opportunity to acknowledge the great service they provide - in terms of both pricing and advice/support. We booked Secrets the Vine on Elliot's recommendation, and loved the experience.

We stayed at The Vine from 8-19 September 2013, in room 2202, right at the end of the corridor. Our room had a fabulous view of both the beach and the lagoon. We pre-booked the preferred option, and valued the benefits of a more comfortable and easy check-in at the 21st floor lounge, the quiet preferred pool and the 24-7 services of our butler(s). A special thanks to Eunice, who discovered it was my wife's Birthday and delivered cake and wine to our room as a delightful surprise, and Manuel, whose shift pattern seemed to co-incide with our various requests. They are both stars - although I should stress that all the staff in the hotel were fabulous: friendly, warm and welcoming - and dedicated to meeting the needs of the hotel guests. We have stayed at many top-class hotels in the US and Europe and the quality of service at The Vine is better than most. Simply top-class.

The other stand-out feature of The Vine is the food. We ate at all the restaurants except the Sea Salt Grill. We used room service once for dinner. It arrived exactly on time and tasted great. We were a wee bit disappointed with Dragons: we ate there once and the food was good rather than great, and the noise from karaoke next door contaminated the ambience. On a more positive note, the apple-tempura dessert was super! We also ate at Olio once. The food was very good, although my meatball starter was too highly spiced for my taste and rather dry. We ate at the Market Cafe daily, for breakfast (as a Scot I was surprised and delighted to be able to have porridge every day! what a great array of fabulous options) lunch, and twice for dinner: we really enjoyed the modern and innovative approach to Mexican food. The Bluewater Grill seems to be the busiest and most popular restaurant in the hotel. It is very, very good. Marvellous steaks and luxurious desserts - in a modern, stylish location, and with Sinatra and classic jazz playing in the background. The salmon ceviche is excellent too! That said, our particular favourite was Nebbiolo. It is L-shaped and we sat in both main sections of the restaurant on our many visits; once overlooking the lagoon as we celebrated my wife's birthday. Opera always plays softly in the background. The lighting towards the rear of the restaurant is deliberately lower and more romantic. Each time we visited the service and the food was superb. The menu is excellent, and we would recommend the dishes we enjoyed the most and ordered often: the beef carpaccio and the caprese salad starters; the fillet steak (which I ordered with a ravioli side as recommended by one of the excellent waiters) and veal ossobucco mains; and for dessert, try melon fettucine. I must say a particular thank you to Parla the restaurant hostess, who helped organise my wife's birthday dinner, and Jonas and Miguel our waiters that night, for wonderful service and leading the unexpected rendition of Happy Birthday. She loved that night, and I really appreciate the effort that was made to make it truly special. I applaud all the staff at Nebbiolo - which is probably the best Italian restaurant I have visited (outside Italy).

We did not use the spa, basically it seemed over-priced. That said, we really loved:
- the Red Vine bar - great entertainment and dancing;
- the wonderful smell as you walk in the front door, every time!
- the coffee bar;
- the ice-cream machine near the Barefoot Grill;
- the wine-tasting sessions at 1pm and 3 pm each day;
- the endless supply of towels and cocktails at the preferred pool - and the friendly service.

I could go on and on. Secrets the Vine is simply marvellous. I would recommend it without hesitation.

Two final points unrelated to the hotel
- we took the ferry to the Isla Mujeres and rented a golf cart to see the island. It was our only day out of the hotel, and it was super; worth a visit, as it is very different (in a good way) from downtown Cancun.
- thanks to a tip from trip advisor we used a laundry service across the road from Secrets the Vine. Our laundry came back in pristine condition, and cost £10 (a fraction of what the hotel would have charged).

• Stayed September 2013
8 Thank JKB59
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I just got home for a 7 day stay at Secrets The Vine. From the moment we stepped in the doors it was a wonderful experience. Everyone there went above and beyond to make our stay a great time. Thanks to Winnie Pooh for awesome entertainment and Camile for helping us with finding wonderful wines during her daily wine tastings. We will definitely be back to visit here again.

5 Thank April S
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We have just returned from a 10 night holiday to Secrets and found it amazing. The staff were excellent, friendly and couldn't do enough for you. Although it was a 5 * hotel, it was very comfortable and you could be yourself. You could dress up or dress down. The food was amazing and all the restaurants were included in the all included package, there was italian, mexican, japanese, thai, chinese, grill, fish, european and fast food but you could use the market place buffet if you wish. Room service was also included as part of the package. You don't have to lift a finger, everything is done for you. Extremely clean, rooms had everything you needed and very modern. Good entertainment every night from singers, acrobats, karaoke, casino night etc. Enjoyed some excellent cocktails from the bars and they also came to your sunbed to bring you drinks during the day. I cannot fault this hotel and the service in anyway and would highly recommend it. The gym was also excellent with a view of the beach and modern equipment. If you are looking for luxury, a rest or adventure, white sandy beaches and aqua sea then this would be the place to go. I would definately go to a Secrets or Dreams hotel again.

Room Tip: As it was our anniversary we were upgraded to a junior suite which had a huge balcony, much larger t...
1 Thank Gircha
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Vines last week for 5 nights in a Junior Suite on the 24th floor with an ocean view. We are a young couple (mid twenties).
The good:- Very easy check in, we were greeted with cold towels and whisked to our floor immediately where we had private check in (which was fast and easy). Room looked great, very spacious, view spectacular, extensive TV channels, included snacks and drinks in the room (which were very well received by us!) We even had a butler (Manuel) on our floor who was very accommodating and showed us around the room. So up until here it was great.

The bad:- To get to the room, we had to take the lifts up to the 24th floor (so we expected a few stops along the way from other patrons). However, even though there were 4 lifts, they were EXTREMELY slow. And these 4 lifts didn't service the whole hotel, they were only for some floors. Concierge and front desk services were poor. They never went the extra mile which is disappointing for the price we paid for a junior suite. When we called, it just rang out and often when we'd go down in person there were no lines of people. We were told we could borrow DVDs from concierge which we 'attempted' to do several times as the weather was poor. We were always rejected and told there were only 4 USBs with dvds on them in the whole hotel. Doesn't this seem a little ridiculous? Considering there are way more than 4 rooms just on our floor alone. So they obviously didn't accommodate for all the rooms. In addition, when we asked to book for a USB they said they had no such system as they didn't know when USBS would be returned (however other staff advised there were time limits on having a USB). The main cafe is the Market Cafe on the ground floor. My partner got rejected (during the day and at breakfast) for wearing a singlet. This seems a little excessive given its the most casual restaurant of the hotel and it was breakfast. And girls are allowed to wear singlets so we didn't understand this rule. Our suite had access to our own pool in the preferred area. But the pools weren't really heated and the jacuzzi was in the 'general' area (which was so busy you couldn't get a spot all day). For paying the extra money, you would think there would also be a jacuzzi in the preferred area. On a final note, the room was quite loud at night (you could hear quite clearly events from the Hard Rock Cafe next door as well as footsteps and people in nearby rooms and corridors). The shower head also decided to change heat on its own from time to time. Sensors in the room had a mind of their own and turned on and off from time to time. There was no light in the toilet as well.

And the ugly:-
Bad experience with room service first of all. We booked a tour to Tulum which left at 7am from our hotel. We booked room service breakfast the night before (6-630am delivery time). By 630am we hadn't received our breakfast. Dining called and told us they were running 15mins late and did not give a reason why or apologised. By 655am we received a further call saying it was on its way up and would be there in 2mins. We left just after 7am because we needed to be downstairs and our breakfast still hadn't arrived. Wifi in the room was woeful, we couldn't even surf the internet (it was like having dial up internet speed!) and wifi froze constantly, disconnected and didn't even work on the balcony. When we called to resolve this issue we were told they would call us. We are still waiting for that call. Mini bar staff were just as disappointing. I was in the bathroom and mini bar barged in (without calling out) and I had to call out at them that I was in there. This could have been a lot more embarrassing experience!
Service at Dragon's restaurant was appalling. We arrived at 9pm and left at 11pm (thats 2 hours!) and let me tell you we didn't order a banquet! We were seated in a dark corner and had to constantly hail people down for service. Other tables however got chefs personally serving them! We ordered wine and had to pour it ourselves throughout dinner as the staff weren't attentive (restaurant wasn't even busy and they seemed to have plenty of staff floating around). In addition, food portions were tiny but were good. To top it off, on our last lunch at the Market before we left we had barely any service. When we finally got our designated staff member to pour our water, he spilt a decent amount of water into my plate and our pasta bowel which watered down my tomato sauce. No apology, am not surprised.

On a closing note, we would like to point out that the 'resort credit' is not credit to use on things in the hotel. It's merely discount vouchers which barely cover 10% of the cost.

This hotel has so much potential, we hope it was just our bad experience and not the 'norm' at this hotel.

Room Tip: You won't be disappointed with a junior suite (we can't promise a good experience though)
4 Thank Bianca F
SecretsTheVine, Social Media Coordinator at Secrets The Vine Cancun, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Bianca F,

Thank you for sharing your review with the Tripadvisor Community.

We are sad to hear that some of our services have not met the usual standards during your stay; we hope you accept our most sincere apologies.

We can assure you that we have looked into your comments in detail with the corresponding departments, we are always looking to improve our services.

We sincerely hope you will give us an opportunity to regain your confidence at some future. Please feel free to contact us at any time to info.sevcu@secretsresorts.com were we will be glad to assist you in fully detail.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back at our resort to make your stay the most enjoyable as you deserve.

Zuleica Ávila