“Fantastic Holiday”

Ranked #3 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Newport Gwent
“Fantastic Holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed from the 9th to the 22nd of June in order to celebrate our 25th anniversary.

A beautiful incredibly clean hotel rather than a sprawling holiday resort with a particular emphasis on the quality of the food.

Very easy to travel around the local area on the incredibly frequent local bus services. 8 and a half pesos per journey, change given by bus drivers and stops at frequent intervals all along the main straight.

Lovely pools and fabulous beach with fantastic views at all times of the day both from our room 2202 and from the pool area/Sea Salt restaurant in particular.

Swimming in front of the hotel not for the faint hearted as even on calmer days a strong swell and diagonal undertow. Swimming is easy and enjoyable if you like a swell as the sea is around 4-5 foot deep a couple of yards offshore. Either side of the hotel i.e. in front of the Sandos or Hard Rock the sea is shallower and much less of an undertow.

No problems with access to pools/sunbeds/umbrellas/shade at any time during our stay and whilst there is rhythm to each day we never had any trouble finding a quiet spot. Generally things are quiet and laid back until 12 then it picks up throughout afternoon before quieting off around 4pm.

This worked perfectly for us as we like to avoid the midday sun. We were in the habit of retreating back to our room where we made use of the preferred options re drinks/snacks etc both from the impeccably maintained mini bar and take outs from the preferred longe. Unlimited wi-fi access also useful. Rooms also kept very clean with daily housekeeping and turn-down service.

We ate all our meals and snacks in the hotel and still hadn't run out of options at the end of our stay. Many of the meals were fabulous and there were frequents surprises even at the buffet with respect to the quality and taste of the meals served there.

Staff generally very competent and helpful although to be hyper picky at times a sense that completing the task in hand came before meeting the needs of the customer at times. Nearly always though very good customer service. No sense that tipping was expected but always appreciated when we did.

I think a hotel particularly suited to couples aged 30-50 but I'm sure any-one could enjoy themselves here.

Room Tip: North side gets morning sun and afternoon shade. Views are magnificant.
4 Thank Newportnose

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,471)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

From the moment you arrive at Secrets The Vine, the staff envelops you in luxury, attentiveness and hospitality. The quality of this hotel is stunning, both in terms of the materials used to build and decorate this brand new location, as well as in the level of service provided by the staff. It has a modern, loungey feel to it, and it's strength and it's weakness are in its all-inclusive formula. You have everything you could ever want here: spacious and comfortable rooms - every one with an ocean view, an awesome variety of different food and drink as part of their "Unlimited Luxury" concept, free internet everywhere in the hotel, a modern gym, fantastic pools and beach and a wide variety of different activities. But we are explorers, so every lunch or dinner we had outside the hotel felt like wasted money, because we were already paying for it back at the hotel. This is not a criticism of the hotel, but of the whole all-inclusive model - which also, BTW, means that you can't invite guests to the hotel without paying a high visitors fee for them as well - allowing them to take advantage of the all-inclusive formula for a specific period of time. We would come back here in a second if we were looking for that kind of experience, and probably will again someday soon. Our last two experiences there were - when I complained of an upset stomach - being spontaneously given a hot cup of camomile-mint tea but one of the staff, which was extraordinarily sweet, and then having two "lunch boxes" waiting for us at reception upon our early-morning departure. Very attentive and the cap on a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor. The view is stunning!
2 Thank ChristoNL
East Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I travel often, and I must say this was the best week ever. I traveled alone but easily made friends with other travelers to enjoy our time together at the pool/beach/bar.

Service: A++++ these people are there to ensure a 5 star experience. They know you by name, get you whatever you want/need, and do it with a smile. **i always tipped min 20 pesos for any assistance (except dinners and long stays at a bar which warranted more)

Food: A++++ 5 star dining experience at all the restaurants. Even the breakfast buffet was pretty amazing.
***i never got sick on resort from food or water, however people who left and ate/drank in town DID!!!

Room: A++++ easily a $500-750/night hotel NOT inclusive in the states. Modern decor, stocked fridge, top notch climate control, dual sliding doors for full ocean view, 2 closets, English television, comfy bed, wifi in room

My tips to you:
1. show up with a stack of $1's for staff tips. Make sure you have at least 2000 pesos just incase (some places in town only take pesos such as Mayan Museo)

2. Be sure to bring some semi formal type attire. After dark at the resort, people were dressed very nice and all I had was resort casual (like shorts...)

3. I'm originally from California and have been to many beach resorts, but the sun was very intense here. Bring twice as much sunscreen as you had planned and reapply like hourly.

4. Go have a Mango Tango at the Vine bar outside after 3:00pm and tell David & Fredy that Stephanie sent you :)

5. DO NOT sit through the time share demo unless you are truly interested. I had heard from everyone who attended that they wish they could have that 2 hours of their lives back. I didn't even attend the "VIP Welcome" table for my coupons. From other reviews I read they seemed like a bust. I passed, and did not miss out on anything.

I can't wait to go back. It won't be soon enough!! This last trip was 5 days, 4 nights. That was NOT enough!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Stephanie M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

Wow! Where do I begin?! Never in all my travels have I enjoyed a place like I enjoyed this one. My wife and I traveled here for our eighth anniversary, and from the time we walked through the front door we felt like superstars! We booked the Preferred package which I highly recommend if you can do it (private butler included). The drinks were flowing, the food was great, the staff was ultra friendly/hospitable, the rooms were immaculate, and the beach was beautiful! A few mornings, we enjoyed complimentary breakfast in our room which was served on our beautiful balcony. Absolutely amazing! I could go on and on about this place but in the end, all I can say is this: thanks Secrets for making our trip so special!

Special thanks to:

- Miriam: (Personal butler on the 22nd floor)/You were awesome! Thanks for all of the the personal touches for our anniversary. You're the best!

- Xavier Gomes (Sea Salt Grill)/so hospitable and professional. Wish you the best with learning Spanish!

- Jonas & Cesar (Nebbiolio)/hard working; extremely courteous!

- Suemy (housekeeper:2231)/ room was was always spotless and immaculate!

One week removed and we still wish we were there! Thanks again!

Room Tip: If you really want "quiet," you might ask for a room opposite the Hard Rock resort. But we...
3 Thank Hubster99
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Modern rooms that are clean and air conditioning that works great. Service is great. The staff is super friendly. Food is very good. The pools are very nice and always seemed to be enough chairs to go around. If you want an umbrella, all you need to do is ask and they will get you one. The beach is nice and clean but the waves are rough. The only area that is lacking is the evening activities. Things seem to die down by 11pm. The worst was the Elvis impersonator. He needed to sing more and talk less. The other live entertainment was good. Will stay here again on our next trip to Cancun.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JZMSP
SRQ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

If you are looking for Luxury and relaxation this is the place. Very laid back vibe, no pretense things just seem to flow just like the beautiful turquoise water. Obviously judging by the amount of positive reviews I am not the only one who feels this way. Being a foodie and also in the WIne Biz; I can truly say that it is a gourmands paradise. The Buffet (which I normally avoid) was
amazing. An incredible selection of fresh fish and vegetables prepared in an array of fashions to stimulate the palate and the senses. Lots of fun things to do like Yoga, water aerobics, beach walks, games, wine tasting. I was there on an awards trip with my company so we used the facility for an awards ceremony and dinner. ALL the staff were very accomdating and I have to say incredibly patient and helpful. Rene at the front desk was able to accomodate my requests on check in. Oliver the sommelier served my friend and I 3 times in 3 different locations and each time we enjoyed his presentation and service. I booked Marcos for 3 massages and if I would have stayed longer than 3 days I would have booked him every day- excellent deep tissue! My friend and I sat thru the "sales presentation" which we thouroughly enjoyed and had we been in a position to would have joined the "Club" The Mgr Pablo was fabulous at presenting the program. There are several others whom I wanted to thank as well, I just dont have their names handy so I may come back and continue my review. In the course of three days we did so much yet were so incredibly relaxed and captivated by this exquisite location - A lot of Hotel on a small piece of real estate! Looking foward to returning as soon as I can!

Room Tip: Suites are of course the way to go if you can! If not go high.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank SrqWineGirl
New Orleans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Secrets The Vine Cancun Resort & Spa located on the Hotel Strip in Cancun is absolutely awesome. We have taken many wonderful vacations and my husband and I would rate this #1! The experience was perfect from the moment we entered the lobby and were greeted "Welcome Home"! The grounds and rooms are immaculate, the furnishings contemperary, the service incredible, the food wonderful (and being from New Orleans, you know we expect great food) and the Entertainment Staff (Bethany, Alain and the rest of their staff) helpful and fun to be around. And the beach - the beach is incredible - the softest white sand touching the bluest of water -- you can walk for miles along the beach (we did) and feel perfectly safe. We are already planning our next trip back to the Vine!
Pat and Donna

4 Thank Donna A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Le Blanc Spa Resort
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#5 of 182 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,226 reviews

Been to Secrets The Vine Cancun? Share your experiences!