“I wish I could agree....”

Secrets The Vine Cancun
Ranked #5 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
“I wish I could agree....”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the resort. There were definitely some good points; our anniversary was wonderful and we would like to thank Cesar for the beautiful surprise , we had a wonderful room on the 22nd floor, the entertainment one of the nights was enjoyable and the maid service was above and beyond.

Now for things that need improvement:

1. I can't agree with the setting, the pools are small and virtually no shade without an umbrella. They would be prettier with with blue tile, they have a green look to them. Void of music, entertainment, very sterile.

2. Food was very basic, nothing special except for the ambiance. My husband ate something that has not agreed with him for 3 days. He's not sure what it was or where but it definitely was something from the resort.

3. Wait staff was below average at the pool and beach. They were catering to a business group and hardly came around to help us. The bar inside was good, especially Modesto who was exceptional.

We have made several trips to Cancun over the years and unfortunately this resort is just not calling us back. For the price we expected more.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Ron and Cheryl H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,577)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
manchester
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We were a group of 3 ladies who were celebrating one of ours 40th Birthday at the 'Secrets the Vine' Cancun.
On Arrival to hotel we were greeted with a glass of Champagne and a very quick check in, they did then want us to listen to some spiel on vouchers for money off and what they offer but we said we would listen to it another time (never did paid enough money for hotel was not going to pay anymore).
So escorted to our room and we were over the moon with it! it was absolutely gorgeous, there was a banner across the door saying 'happy birthday' and balloons all over the room, huge master suite ocean front, balcony the size of football pitch! wow!
the food at this hotel was to die for! we had lobster in the Mexican and the Italian, the market cafe buffet was lovely with roast lamb falling of the bone and the fish was cooked beautifully! the Asian fusion was tasty dim sum and again faultless, Italian lovely pasta, risotto, pizza, sea salt had spicy beef kebabs, fish dishes, steaks, and more.
Pools were lovely and just the right temp, entertainment fab, with the chefs parade at 1pm every day bringing all sorts of snacks to your sunbed, burrito's, sushi, cakes, fruits.
Bar staff come round constantly and you can order amazing cocktails, the beer on draught is Corona and early evening we would get in the Jacuzzi next to the beach with glass of champagne and you don't even need to go to the bar :)
entertainment in the evening was good too, Elvis was hilarious, BBQ nights, shows, and then the piano bar open til 2am with live dj and plenty of tequila shots!
I have travelled to lots of places but this is the best hotel I’ve ever stayed in! perfect in every way!
Special thanks to 'Jesus' in the piano bar, Oliver, alberto round the pool all of the staff really who make for an effortless stay......

Room Tip: master suite oceon front
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank catymac
Rocklin, California

Great Things:
Newer hotel, Clean, comfortable rooms and beds, Higher level rooms more expensive but less traffic quieter nights and gorgeous views, Shows and Disco every night, Great service, Yummy food.

Bad:
Piano bar/Disco should be renamed to Sauna, Dead palm trees, pools not so clean, Diva show and diner just bad, Bottled water taste not so good.

Awesome People:
Ricardo-Photo, Miguel-Poker and games, Julian and Balam-Dance, Alan-Water Aerobics, Norma, Blanca, Jesus-Cocktails, Kelly-Yoga. Thank you so much fantastic job!

Room Tip: Higher floors have less traffic, noise and fabulous views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada

Hello everyone,

Just got back from The Vine last weekend and here's my review. I will try, as always, not to write a novel but ... well, I talk a lot. :)

I read all the reviews before I went, and they're right - this is one very gorgeous, upscale and amazing resort. I'll start at the beginning:

LOCATION: The Vine is right in the hotel strip, about 10 or 15 minutes from Cancun airport. Want to find a resort that doesn't make you sit on a bus for an hour? This'll do!!

FIRST IMPRESSION: So the Vine is on a smaller kind of 'side street'. You pull up and it looks like a large condo - no surprise if you've seen pictures. The front is minimalist in design - similar to most Secrets (except Capri) ... but don't be fooled, because once you walk inside ...

LOBBY: .... it's luxury! It's really beautiful, with lots of flowers and marble and everything is sparkling and clean. Lots of Bellboys (sorry, don't know what else to call them?) to get your bags and welcome you.

CHECK IN: Smooth, quick, friendly. We were done in about 15 minutes. They do ask you to spend a moment or two chatting with some representative about their 'club' program (which we were not interested in) but if you politely decline, they are totally fine with that. For some people, belonging to the hotel chain's club is great, for us it's not a thing we are interested in right now.

BTW we got there around 11:30 a.m. or so and our room was ready. That was nice. So off we go to the room .....

THE ROOM: Sparkling clean, gorgeous view, comfortable bed, fridge full of the usual "goodies", plus extras (as we booked the Preferred Club package). HINT: Book the Preferred Club package. It didn't seem to be that much more and you get a Butler. I'm no Rockefeller and I don't have a Butler in my normal life LOL, but they are there to help you with just about whatever you need. Each floor has a dedicated Butler/Concierge, so you're well looked after. You can also tell them what time you'd like your room cleaned, and for me that works.

POOLS: Sparkling clean, great temperature.

FOOD: AMAZING! Lots of restaurants to choose from, so eat to your heart's content. I would highly recommend the Mexican (try the fried beef tacos) and the Mediterranean (sp?) - if you like Middle Eastern type fare - the chicken in yogurt with rice and apricots is really good. The Itallian was very officious (read: serious service, very formal!) but the ravioli stuffed with mushrooms was just great. Every restaurant had an extra wine list (you know, to pay if you want vintage type wines) but really the house wines are fine - they are Chilean and you'll be ok with that.

Ok, now the WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW .... and it's not bad, but you do "need to know: ....

1. Pools - the pools are beautiful, really, but the pool area is all different levels, so you need to walk on stairs to get from one level to the other. That's ok if you don't mind a small batch of stairs, but if you have bad knees or whatever this might be a bit of a difficulty. I say this only because I injured my knee a few months ago and walking from the lobby to the beach was a TAD painful!! Don't worry ... the great drinks they serve help you forget your pain LOL - but I really just want to mention this in case those of you reading have knee issues or whatever.

2. Space/Crowded - There are a lot of rooms which means a lot of guests (minimum 2 per room, right?) and limited real estate. So the pool areas can seem somewhat crowded. It is hard to find a "quiet spot" when your pool area is limited. So if you are used to resorts with "quiet" pools you may be disappointed. The Preferred club does have a separate pool area (on the 12th floor) but you can often hear the music they play (like for events, fashion shows, etc.) so again just letting you know that you may find it a bit more "active" and "noisy" than other resorts. But I will say they played great music all day so for me, no worries! :)

3. Beach space - ok, so Cancun has rebuilt their beaches and this resort is on a great beach BUT the beach chairs that you use can only be used about halfway down the beach. If you moved the chairs past a certain point the waiters said they could not serve you because you're "off the resort's beach property" ... so really guests only have half the beach to put their lounge chairs. So this means the beach is a bit more crowded than, say, resorts in Riviera Maya. So I just point this out because if you have an issue with being (literally) side by side with people on the beach during the day, you may want to consider going to a Secrets resort in Riviera Maya or Punta Cana, where you get the WHOLE beach, not just half of it. I hope this makes sense how I've explained it!!

SPA: So we walked through - lovely! Didn't take any treatments, probably should have.

IN SUMMARY ...

We had a lovely week. A week wasn't enough. The food was great (I gained 5 lbs, I just know it!) and I intend on writing a letter to Secrets to thank them for their hospitality and letting management know how nice their staff were. We had a really nice week.

If you have any questions or if my babbling is incoherent, please drop me a line! I hope you have a wonderful vacation!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the Preferred Club. Rooms facing NORTH will not hear the noise coming from the p...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
20 Thank TorontoSuzanne2
Holland
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Arrival: When we arrived at the hotel, we were immediately greeted with a cold, aromatic towel and champagne. The staff was very friendly and the hotel was spotless. The walls were mostly glass and completely clean.
Food: The food was hit or miss. Some dishes were phenomenal and some were just ok. The buffet (Market Café) was excellent with great variety for breakfast and lunch. I found that they focused a lot on having American dishes where I would have preferred to see a lot more authentic local cuisine. Nebbiolo: The Italian restaurant was by far, my favourite. The artichoke salad was very flavourful with parmesan cheese and a cream sauce with spinach. the four cheese pizza was good as well as the ossobucco (although a little fatty fatty for my taste). I had the linguine Bolognese which was tasty as well. Olio: very good. I liked the appetizers more than the entrees. Bluewater grille: Very good. steaks are tender and flavourful. Potato soufflé is actually chips. I noticed a lot of the food was named incorrectly. Some things were labeled "ganache" but it was actually chocolate sauce. Sea Salt: fajitas and fish tacos are the way to go. Mexican restaurant - excellent. Dragons: awful sushi...all rice and not enough filling. but I have never had good sushi in mexico so I may be a little harsh. The dishes were very tasty. I had all the appetizers which were excellent, but mostly fried and I had the thai shrimp which was very tasty. The peanuttice ice cream was AMAZING!!!
Portions are tiny...I ordered 3 or 4 of each appetizer and 2 or 3 desserts, but I am a big eater.
Room: beautiful, spacious. we upgraded to preferred club. it is worth it just for the size of the room. Our room was always cleaned and we always got turn down service.
Staff: Our butler, Manuel was very nice and very knowledgeable, but he asked me what kind of pillow I wanted and I requested a cervical one...it was never delivered. There were a lot of issues with follow up...where I would ask for something and got a positive response and it was never done/delivered etc. Marco was the most outstanding server we have ever had. And I mean outstanding in ever sense of the word and not just in mexico..in Canada and the US and everywhere I've ever been. He cleaned the crumbs off our table, pulled my chair out, folded my napkin when I left the table to go to the salad bar. he was very knowledgeable and polite. Marcelo and Carlos at the Market Café were the most entertaining. Ophelia in housekeeping did an excellent job at turn down service...she knocked and asked if she could come in while we were there or if we wanted her to do it later. she came in and was finished in just a few minutes. very efficient. Norma at the Market Café made the best crepes and always remembered how I liked mine..not too crispy :) ...Cesar and Jorge at Olio went out of their way to get me Peanut Ice cream from the Dragons restaurant. They were very accommodating. Bethany and Julien were very helpful and concerned when I lost my hat and went on a goose chase inside the hotel looking for it for me. I really appreciated it.
Improvements: If you are going to call it "Unlimited Luxury" then your staff needs to work on providing unlimited luxury. I have travelled with luxury companies many times and the service definitely needs to be improved at The Vine. Your motto should be "Nothing is too much"..for example. I asked for a milk shake at the pastry shop and she said "we dont' make those here" and I responded " you have ice cream, you have milk, you have a blender" ..and then, she said "ok"...I shouldn't have to press to get what I want at a hotel that boasts "unlimited luxury".
another example: I asked our concierge about booking a whale shark tour. he should understand that to busy people, time is very precious. Instead of walking me down to the desk to book my tour,, he should have taken care of the paperwork and booked my tour for me so that all I would have to do was sign the credit card slip. I did not like that I had to wait at the desk to book a tour. With a butler, this should have been done for me.
Fitness center: Best gym I've been to at a hotel, ever! Great view of the ocean while you work out with floor to ceiling windows.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Patrice L
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

After a very long flight, we arrived to a very warm welcome at Secrets, a nice glass of champagne & cold towels to cool off with whilst we checked in. Once checked in the lovely Miguel took all of our luggage to our room & we followed....!!! We were in room 2620 ....WOW!! Our room was spectacular, so spacious, with plenty of drawers & wardrobes to hang all of our belongings & a safety deposit box. We had a HUGE double shower & large bathroom to get dressed in. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! Mini bar & fridge were restocked daily. Everything was really new & I do hope this hotel keeps things that way. We cannot fault the room, the butler & cleaning maids that did a fantastic job! The only problem I would maybe report is the constant slamming of doors from staff & other guests that loudly echoes up & down the very chic corridors & I would expect a hotel of this standard to maybe add sound proofing strips around the doors or some type of cushioning around the door frames to overcome this one & only problem we seemed to endure every morning!!
The restaurants were superb with plenty of choice & again the chefs & staff are such lovely people & the good thing is you don't have to make a reservation when you go for dinner you go when YOU feel ready to eat which is what sets this hotel streets apart from all the rest. Now this is the bit that makes this hotel what it is ....around the pool area's you will find Victor, Alan, Miguel, Magnolia, Julien, Balam & Bethany ...What a team!!! Love & miss you all without these guys there would be no atmosphere & fun, there was that much going on. Well done guys <3 you make this place have the 5star treatment people want on their holiday. Last but not least thank you to Paul who got us our umbrella & fresh towels everyday around the pool, bless him he never stops running around for people all day, you are an absolute angel. Roll on next summer can't wait to come back!!! love Rosaline & Simone xx

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank Rosiensim
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 4, 2013

The Vine is a beautiful resort and the staff was very friendly and accomodating. I don't have any major complaints about this resort. Some of the resturants could use improvement with flavoring their foods, the evening entertainment could use some work, and don't expect craft drink bartending but those are minor items and with feedback they can improve.
We loved this resort and its staff; we plan to go again. So far one of our couple friends has booked this and returned from a great experience and we've reccomended it to others and another friend-couple is booking.

Room Tip: Concierge (Club) Level
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple