“Awesome Ocean with a few bumps............” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Secrets The Vine Cancun

Secrets The Vine Cancun
Ranked #4 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Louisville, Kentucky
“Awesome Ocean with a few bumps............”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

We just got back and I have to say that The Vine has great potential. I had not been to Cancun in several years as I have found the Mayan Riviera best suited for me. I normally do a 7 day trip but could only do a 5 day deal this time. My Travel Agent is very good and knows what I like and thought The Vine would fit the bill: Top-shelf liquor, luxury rooms, good food, good service, and a great beach. I paid for an additional upgrade to the preferred club status. This gives you a higher room floor, access to a concierge floor, and access to a private pool and bar on the 12th floor. Let me say that overall I really enjoyed my trip. I did have 2 mishaps that really dampened my overall experience.I feel this is a management issue and do not know if I will ever go back.

We had a great flight and a private shuttle to The Vine. The hotel greeting was great, warm moist towel to clean your hands, a glass of champagne, a brief tour of the resort by your Butler, and on to a fast private check-in. This is where Mishap #1 occurred. We were told at check-in that we could not get a king size bed and had to take 2 queen beds. This was a big deal to me and mine. I was told that not only could I not have a king size bed, there would not be one available for the duration of my stay. With little sleep and traveling all day this set a sour tone right off the bat. I was told that I could get a King bed if I paid to upgrade to a junior suite. I refused and felt like I was being extorted to pay more money for what I feel like I had already paid for in the first place. We took our key to our 2 queen bed on the 24th floor and I began trying to call my travel agent who suggested I contact someone from Sunwing (aka Vacation Express- who the trip was booked through) in the hotel lobby to help me try and reason with the hotel. My travel agent was also calling the hotel and trying to work something out. I was told by the Sunwing rep. that the hotel was right in not guaranteeing me a king bed. All I know is that within about 30 minutes of them telling me there was no way I was getting a king bed that one mysteriously was available on the 21st floor and that they were already in the process of moving my luggage. So, my thought is why not just give me the available room in the first place and not put me through all of this. It felt like I was lied to in order to see if they could get more money from me to pay for a junior suite. I never did get a straight answer on it. It was just magic. The bottom line is, they had a king bed available, they just didn't have one for me. I got over it.....so let's move on to the good.

The property is amazing. Very clean and stylish. If you like to work out on vacation (which I do) they have the best hotel gym I have ever used. The equipment from the treadmills to life fitness weight machines were top of the line. The best part is the whole back wall of the gym is glass and you overlook the pool, beach and ocean while you work out. I thought this was amazing.

The rooms are extremely nice with great showers and comfortable beds. My balcony overlooked the bay on the left ( I guess that is what it was) and the ocean on the right. The only complaint here is that you can hear your neighbors. The balconies are not separated by walls. This can make for some awkward situations.

Food. Breakfast was my favorite as you get custom made omelets and a great selection of juices. My favorite was called "green juice". I still think about it. It did seem the hotel was at or near capacity and the waiting times at dinner seemed long. The waiters were very friendly and tried very hard to please. The food was pretty good overall.

The Coupons - I was all excited to get my $400 in coupons to use at the resort. The only stipulation is that you could not use them all at once. I thought great, no problem, I will use a $100 here and a $100 there.......It was not to be. They are a gimmick and I never used the first one. For example, you purchase a $70 bottle of wine, you can only use a $10 coupon. I was going to splurge one night and buy about a middle of the road $60 bottle of wine with dinner. The wine guy showed up a short time later with a $120 bottle of wine ready to open as they happened to be out of the bottle I ordered........after the room incident.....really? I declined.

The SPA - I was initially really interested in getting a massage as I usually do on vacation. I took a tour of the facilities to check it out. I found the staff to be indifferent and not very friendly. I passed them everyday on the way to the gym and they usually just looked away and did not try to engage in any way. I opted out this time.

Music - There is Spa like music playing most everywhere you go. In the lobby, by the main pools, etc. I found it to be distracting at times. They did have an acoustic guitar player at the pool one day that was fantastic. However, I did not spend much time at the pool as I am a beach/ocean guy. Let me say that I have NEVER seen water so gorgeous and blue as it was at The Vine. They have sugar sand and great service at the beach. I had a blast fighting the awesome waves that were unbelievable. The beach as great as it could be fell way short to me.

First, the hotel is located in a spot right where all the vendors make their entrance. Every 5 minutes your are asked if you want to but cigars, beads, sunglasses, jewelry, etc. you name it. The first 20 times you don't really mind, but after that is becomes ridiculous......and that is no exaggeration. The Hotel does nothing to curtail it. I am all for a guy trying to make a buck but it borders on harassment. This is also where incident number #2 occurred. I made it all week through the bombardment of the vendors and procured a prime front row beach chair with umbrella on my last day at the hotel. I was in bliss......waves crashing.......was all but asleep....when one of the beach attendants seated 2 gentleman about two feet from me. One of the gentlemen began hooking up an elaborate speaker for his I-phone, I-Pod etc. and promptly began playing some techno trash music with a thump-thump bass. I was listening to my music all week as well but I used ear pods to spare others from my rifts. I thought this was incredibly rude and said so to the gentleman. He did turn it down but all I continued to hear was thump thump thump. I listened to this until I could not take it anymore. Rather than take matters into my own hands I went to the hotel employees for help. I asked if it was acceptable to hotel policy for people to play external music at the beach. They told me is was ok to play audible music. The nicer resorts I have been to in the past do not allow this. I only wish I had brought my external speaker for a little battle of the bands. But I did not. I had them move me about 15 feet away to the only other available spot. This only emboldened the gentleman and he turned it up. I believe the hotel should have made the gentlemen use ear buds or turn the music off. I did not drop 3 grand to listen to some rude dude's techno trash music when all I wanted to listen to was ocean waves .............and of course the same guy ask me 50 times ask if I want to buy some cigars.

SO.......This is a very nice hotel overall. There are no grounds to wander.......it is a giant hotel.........If you are a vodka drinker Absolute is as good as it gets unless you upgrade to preferred club.....then you have Kettle and Grey Goose as options. Do not get roped into the whole time share deal or vacation club deal unless you are really interested. I opted out but talked to a Canadian who did the whole spiel and said it took much longer than they said it would and it was a very high pressure thing. He regretted doing it. You are led to believe that for an hour and a half of your time you will get coupons for two free massages......enticing right........it didn't work out that way for him........he got like $40 off or something like that....... I hope this helped.........

Room Tip: I like the higher floors but you have to pay for them with the preferred club. If you have to have a...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Howie39604

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,434)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

This was our second stay at a secrets resort and after an amazing trip to secrets st james in jamaica we had high expectations, we were not disapointed secrets the vine was easily the best hotel we have ever stayed in. We upgraded to preffered club for only 30 usd per night and it was well worth it the rooftop pool was beautiful, private and the service from the staff was second to none. Pita and Claudia stood out for us they couldn't do enough for us and always made sure we had drinks. I have noticed that people have said anyone could access the 12th floor pool but this is not the case there are locks on the doors that only worked with preffered guests keys. We stayed in room 2619 and it was modern and huge the mini bar was stocked daily with mini rum vodka and whiskey along with pringles chocolate and cokes ect.The only tiny negative i could say was there was no bath in the room but the shower is huge bigger than my bathroom at home and has 2 shower heads amazing! The food was of a very high standard and we tried every restaurant we loved the mexican& the sea salt grill for lunch benjemen the waiter was fantastic. The hotel itself blew us away so modern & total luxury everywhere you go. We never felt any pressure to tip and staff couldnt do enough for you. We will definately be back and are considering a weeks stay in july. Spend the extra money and book secrets the vine it was worth every penny.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank chamilton26
Lake Zurich, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

My wife and I had the best time at "Secrets!" Everyone was courteous, polite, and eager to take care of us. Special thanks to Yediera, our V.I.P. rep(I hope I spelled her name correctly), and Memo (Caesar), our Apple Vacations rep. The beach, the pools, the food, the room, all excellent! I have recommended this resort to everyone I know, because of the great time we had.
We will be back!

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side may be subject to the loud music from the disco at the top of the resort nex...
1 Thank LZMoose
New Bedford, Ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I visited the Vine for 5 days (way too short) May 12-16th. The ride from the airport is approximatley 20 minutes. Check-in by far was the best and easiest we have ever experienced. We arrived at the resort by 1:00 pm and were greeted with champagne and cold towels. The room was already available. We knew as soon as we ordered our first drink at 2:00pm that this place was going to be good. We ordered top shelf margaritas and they were great! We had lunch at the buffet and knew that the food as well as the drinks were top quality. The pool area is great and the reviews that state not enough shade, chairs and complain about no swim-up bar. I would say there is no pleasing you. We are early pool people, however, we never witnessed anyone unable to get a chair or an umbrella. As I stated we arrived at 1:00 on our first day, had lunch and went down to the pool at 3:00. We had no issue getting a chair. There were plently available. Umbrellas, ask for one. These people will accomodate your needs. The choice of restaurants is fabulous. Dragons was our favorite. The steak house and italian were also great. Sea Salt was an excellent lunch option. Unfortunately, we did not have enough time to try all the choices. We will however make it a point to go back next year. We have visited Cancun and the Riveria Maya approximatley 16 times. The service, food and drinks far exceed any other resort we have visited. The staff can not do enough for you. Always serving up a smile. The rooms are great and the grounds are immaculate. We did have an issue with the air conditioning on the first night. We called maintenance. Literally within 5 minutes someone was in our room checking the problem. We never had another issue. From check in to check out this place exceeded our expectations. My only complaint is we didn't stay longer. Give this place a try. You will love it.

Room Tip: We were on the 19th floor. The view was great! There were complaints that the Sandos side was nois...
7 Thank budway
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Definitely is top resort right now on the Cancun hotel strip. Lots of zen going on there, neutral contemporary decor, of course amazing wine selections, and like the other resorts right on the fabulous Cancun beach. Thought the indoor fireplace was interesting, especially when it was 90 degrees outside. But it added warmth esthetically, not temperature-wise. There's a Preferred Club level where guests can get extra perks during their stay. Big 2 thumbs up overall, fabulous new resort in Cancun.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I did a lot of research before booking our trip to Cancun this year and WOW did it really pay off. The reviews for this place were almost all Excellent and after spending the week here I wish there was a rating above Excellent! Everything from the moment we pulled up to the Resort was Perfection. We arrived to an amazing greeting from the Doorman, he had chilled towels ready for us to cool off, took our bags for us and showed us up the stairs where we were met by another Greeter who gave us glasses of Champagne and walked us over to the Reception desk. The check-in experience was great, front desk receptionist answering all of our questions and setting us up with an amazing room. After check-in the Bellman was quick to arrive with our luggage and gave us a tour of the room, took us out on our Amazing Terrace, answered a few questions we had and gave us some recommendations of what we absolutely had to take advantage of during our stay.
We tried every Restaurant during our stay and all were Excellent, the Hostesses, Waiters, Chefs, everything. There is one that had a few problems during our dining experience, an Asian Restaurant called Dragons. The food was good but could have been better and the wait staffed seemed overwhelmed,our poor waiter was one of them; he ran into one of the other waiters and spilled hot tea all over his arm, then didn't clean up the mess well enough and later slipped and fell on his knee, it also took him a long time before he took our order; however towards the end of the dinner he came over to our table and apologized to us for him not being 100% and acknowledged that he did not feel he gave us his best and asked if there was anything he could do to make it better; that really surprised us and recovered the service.
The Entertainment Team here is also truly amazing. They seem to always be around to chat, play games with you and let you know what they have planned throughout the day. They all felt like great friends during our stay.
Housekeeping service was excellent and quick, Isabela was our Housekeeper and made sure our room was cleaned as soon as we walked out the door to go to breakfast!
The Beach Staff was also excellent, Blanca, one of the Waitresses was so friendly and always there to make sure you had a drink or a bite to eat and was forever smiling. There was also always someone around to help you move a chair or get an umbrella for you if you wanted one (we read so many reviews on other hotels that complained about the availability of chairs and umbrellas on the beach if you weren't there first thing in the morning; we never had any problems no matter what time of the day it was to get a seat!)
During our nights we visited all of the bars and had Amazing service at every single one. We had one waiter named Oliver that was always there for us and always remembered us. He always made sure to come say hi when he saw us and ask us how are stay was going. He was great!
So to end this extremely wrong review, I have already begun recommending this Resort to everyone I know and we cannot wait to return and see everyone again! Thank you Secrets :D

1 Thank clkit520
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

we stayed here as part of our honeymoon, returned last week!! such a fab hotel, will definitely be back! the food and drink are outstanding!! the entertainment team are brilliant, they work so hard, and really do entertain from morning to night!
the rooms are gorgeous, and everything is spotless. the views are fab!
its only 5-10 mins to all the brilliant nightlife, so its perfect!
all the staff are so friendly, the lovely waiter oliver and all the entertainment staff especially magnolia, shes a sweetheart!
don't hesitate when booking, stay at the secrets the vine, you will love it!!!
sinead and Bernard, Dublin, Ireland.

4 Thank benjy1980
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Le Blanc Spa Resort
#10 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,559 reviews
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun

Been to Secrets The Vine Cancun? Share your experiences!