“Great romantic trip to Cancun!”

Secrets The Vine Cancun
Ranked #5 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I have been to Cancun a few times before and stayed at the Marriott Casa Magna. After reading reviews of The Secrets Vine Cancun I decided to make the switch, and I am glad we did. My boyfriend and I have worked in restaurants for years so top quality food, booze and service is very important to us. Upon check in we were greeted with sparkling wine and cold towels, nice touch. We arrived at 1:30 and our room was ready. David, our butler showed us to our amazing room and had our room stocked with everything we needed. We spent both days hopping between the preferred club pool and the beach. The other pools are nice but can get busy and loud during the day and on this trip we preferred to read and enjoy each other's company but the water aerobics and games looked fun. Breakfast was awesome! I am not a huge buffet fan, but the breakfast buffet was large and fresh. I especially enjoyed the made to order omelet and crepe stations. I didn't think that room service was great, the quality of the food seemed much less than of the restaurants. Our favorite dinners were at the italian restaurant and the steak house. We ordered the lamb chops many times, they were so great! The pizza was so-so, they should make better use of the crust and cheese since they do have a nice (expensive) wood fire oven at their disposal. Portion sizes were smaller, but still filled you up. I prefer quality over quantity, which secrets does! Overall, this was an amazing trip and thank you to David and the entire staff for making our trip great. We will be back!

One thing I would mention is that I mentioned serval times that it was our anniversary but they did not acknowledge it since we are not married. We spent just as much money, if not more on the hotel and tipping than married couple did, so why shouldn't we be reconginzed?

Pro's
Rooms, pools, service, drinks, David our butler, Pita our bartender, and Raul at the italian restaurant.

Con's
Not a large sprawling resorts like most in Mexico, but all views are amazing. Entrance is not large and grand. Was not crazy about lunch choices, ate at SeaSalt, buffet and preferred pool and they were so-so. Was not impressed by the spa, we didn't have treatments but did take use of the showers and baths, they were not at usual spa temps and I think that was the one area of the resort that needed some maid attention.

Tips
If an upgrade is less than $100 on booking and/or check-in, UPGRADE! If not, you will not notice much of a difference other than larger rooms and preferred pool access. You do not have to get up early to reserve chairs, I did one day and regretted it because there were still great spots all around the pool and beach. DO NOT FORGET TO TIP FOR GOOD SERVICE, I noticed almost every person did not tip at the end of meals or great service, you will receive even better service if you do and they deserve it!

Room Tip: Preferred if you can, high room.
4  Thank Kristy L

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Our trip to the Vine was from April 20 thru April 27, 2013. Everything was great with no problems what so ever. We were met upon arrival with a glass of Sparking wine and a cool towel. Check in was fast and painless. Our room was ready and we were on the 17th floor, 1709 our room was facing the Hard Rock as I requested. The sun on that side of the building is present most of the day. We Loved the Room Style and decor. The room service was great and It was great coming back from and eveining out to a freshened up room.

We ate at theNebiolo,Olio, Sea Salt (Oscar was the best waiter), Blue water Grill and The Market Place for breakfast. The breakfast was very good with a wide variety of breakfast foods. The Salmon and Tuna at the restaurants was very delicious. We took the restaurant tour and was really amazed at the set up. Erik done a great job explaining the set up. Thanks Erick.

All of the entertainment crew done a very good job of getting eveyone involved in all of the Activities.

The nightly shows were fun, we especially enjoyed the "ELVIS" impersonator and the juggler
(in the balloon was fun).

The beach and water are beautiful, although the water had a strong undertow on two of the days. As we walked on the beach each day we were met by Enrique each day to set up our towels on our chairs and he would also get an umbrella for us. The waiters on the beach were always there when you needed them.

We were not bothered with the timeshare, but they did leave a message a couple of days that we paid no attention to.

All and All a great Resort and a great week. Thank you "THE VINE" .

Room Tip: The odd # rooms are on the side of THE HARD ROCK and is in the sun most of the day. The even # roo...
1  Thank 61cad
Reviewed May 10, 2013

First off allow me to start off by saying that I have not been to Cancun proper in over 9 years. We have been to Riv Maya but wanted something closer to everything. When researching our short 4 night trip we decided on the Vine because of it's proximity to the airport, shopping etc. It is walking distance to stores, restaurants etc or you can take the bus for like a dollar US each way. If you forgot some incidentals there's a little convenience store / laundrymat and Pharmacia right across the street and an OXXO maybe a block and a half away. Not that you needed to leave the resort but we were traveling with newbies to Cancun and thought they may want to experience all that Cancun has to offer.
Also, you can check my other reviews. I've been to other Secrets and other adults only properties before. This really did top my list of favorites.
So, as I mentioned it's in an ideal location for short stays. We stayed 4 nights but wished we had stayed longer. Short ride from the airport. Got there about 130 but our room was not ready so they gave us a pager and sent us to the buffet for lunch. We traveled with friends and their room was ready about 315 or 330 and ours was ready closer to 4pm. no big deal we had access to the entire resort and had planned accordingly with sunscreen and bathing suits in the carryon bag. So we explored a little. I'm used to the Riv Maya's sprawling resorts and this was a bit more "compact" so we found a lounge chair and relaxed taking in the beautiful views.
Restaurants:
Buffet:
We had lunch at the buffet, Food was delicious and had a decent variety to make everyone happy. they had a grilling station and made my friend a steak. The service was excellent and Jimmy remembered us and our drink orders for the rest of our stay. Even sent over Mimosa's when we got there. Service with a smile does not even do him justice. He was genuinely happy to have us there and it showed. It was interesting that they had small plate dishes at the buffet so you could try a variety of different things. Chicken fajitas were delicious and I am craving them now. Breakfast buffet was excellent. Fresh crepe station, fruit smoothies, and omelette/egg station. There was a large variety of juices, fruit, bacon, sausage, chorizo, eggs, french toast, pancakes, waffles, options for toppings, yogurt, oatmeal. you name it. One of my faves at breakfast were the chilaquiles.

Steak House was good. the service was excellent. steak was delicious and cooked perfectly. I actually had the chicken and it was delicious. portions for me were perfect but a few of the men in our group thought a bit smaller. It's all inclusive just order another one or try something else :)

Italian was not my favorite but the Shrimp Scampi was good, artichoke appetizer was excellent and I was told the Ravioli and Beef Filet was also good. It's all a matter of preference.

We ordered room service one night and it was pretty fast about 30 minutes, food was delivered hot and was very tasty. there was a good selection for dinner.

We also ate at the sports bar one night. Burgers, chicken wings, your typical bar food. again, very tasty.
We snacked at the Barefoot grill most afternoons before or after the "Parade of Chefs" which is amazing. 1pm sharp there must have been 15 chefs walking around serving different snacks/ appetizers. everything was delicious. Also, a few stops at the Market Cafe for a quick sandwich or pretzel.
We had a party of 5 and I was a little worried about them being able to accomodate us and it was no problem at alny of the restaurants. We arrived on Cinco de Mayo and the resort had a bunch of activities going on. Tequila tasting, some salsa or dance lessons and a beautiful show with dancers and music, mariachis, and buffet that evening.

We did not have a chance to eat at the Oriental, Mediterranean or Peruvian restaurants but I heard great things about all of them. Maybe next time :)
Bar Service. The hotel has several bars. The Piano Bar was fun and lively in the evenings. Sports Bar was nice to watch a game and have a few cocktails.
The bar service at the pool was exceptional. Claudia, Oliver, and Lucio took very good care of us. Kudos to the bar staff and the wait staff.
We also noticed that people play the towel game, reserve cabanas or prime beach chairs early and then leave all day. We noticed staff picking up towels and empty glasses pretty regularly. Diego helped us a few days getting umbrellas around the pool and on the beach. So no big worry. Everyone was so
eager to please and make your stay more enjoyable.
Gym
my husband took a peek at the gym, it looked nice and had a variety of options and once again those stunning views. Nice long walks on the powderly sand is more my idea of working out on vacation :)
Rooms
The rooms were a nice size. 2 closets, plenty of dresser or counter space. Huge shower with 2 shower heads. . Very modern, contemporary and just didnt have the local flavor that I'm looking for when in mexico but it was very nice and I can't really complain about them. I really wasnt in the room very often anyway. Our room was on the Hard Rock side and I really didnt have any issues with the noise that I read in other reviews. A couple of the nights we heard music coming from there but it wasn't too loud and was nice while getting ready for dinner. We were out of the room in the evenings until midnight or 1pm every night and we were there Sunday - Thursday so it didnt disturb us.

Entertainment. we saw the cinco de mayo show which was well done other than that we didnt stick around for any of the shows. our friends saw the magic show and said it was good. there seemed to be a lot of activities around the pool. spanish lessons, cooking lessons. We did do the kitchen tour and that was fascinating. Seeing how they manage to feed everyone in such an efficient way is amazing and we got a sweet treat in the pastry shop at the end :) Thank you to Chef Erick and his team for all they do!
Dont forget to download the Secrets App on your smartphone. It's a great value. free long distance calling to the US and all the info on the resort on your phone so you can book spa appointments or see what's going on at the pool! Also there was free wifi for tablets or laptops and free international calls from the room. I thought that was a great value. It's rare to find all of that included.
All in all a fabulous relaxing trip. exactly what I was looking for. I can't want to go back and it's rare that I want to visit the same resort twice.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have some view of the ocean. Rooms on the Sandos side are supposed to be quieter.
6  Thank newtoy
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I want to focus on the best service we ever had at a resort at Nebbiolo the Italian restauant.
Manager Franciso,Head Chief Ernesto and Chef Rene. Our waiter Miguel "Mike" and Ismael.
The sevice was five stars plus: Chef Rene did a tasting for us and a special last night dinner.
Just got back May 2-May 9.Words cannot say express how excellent all the dinners were. Miguel is the best watier and always knew what I wanted before I asked. Once again thank you all for the best service in Mexico. We have traveled to many 5 star hotels and we come from the NYC area and nothing could top this sevice or food. We ate here 6 of our 7 nights.
Also a special thank you to Buters Arturo and Allen for the best service. Special thanks to Emilo and head bulter Joachim.
Thank you again Mr. Fernandez for going above and beyond. You run a top hotel and you are such an asset to this hotel. You and your staff make it happen everyday.
Hope to see you all in Sept to celebrate a big birthday!!

Room Tip: Stay on the Sandos side for quiet
4  Thank 689maria1234
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This hotel and service are top flight.The staff make yu feel so welcome and address you by name after several days. The room was wonderful....RM 2500.Hotel was spotless. Meals and restaurants were good as was bar service. Pool was a bit crowded but beach was beautiful with great drink and food service.We felt very welcome there.And...no armbands..love it.
Could not have had a more perfect place to stay and did not want to come home after 5 days.

Room Tip: The club floors are great.
3  Thank Kathy1725raintree
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My husband and I put off our honeymoon for almost 2 years, and we decided to come to Secrets for 7 days. From the minute we arrived at the hotel, the staff was right there to greet us with cool towels and a personal assistant to help with everything.
The service is AMAZING!!! They don't say "you're welcome", they say "it's my pleasure" everytime you say thank you. They truly mean it too.
The room was always clean, the views are amazing, and the pools were always free of debris.
The food was spectacular!! Including the breakfast buffet, we never had a bad meal while there. We were treated like royalty there. At every turn, someone was there to help you with whatever you needed.
We couldn't have asked for a better experience, and would recommend Secrets The Vine to ANYONE planning a trip to Cancun!!
We loved it there, and will be returning VERY SOON!!

3  Thank Wendy K
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This resort is beautiful! My husband and I enjoyed it very much. The service is superb! The spa was the best part of our trip. The food was also outstanding and never had to wait for service. The only thing that I was not happy with was, we arrived late and there were no king size rooms available but the next day we were upgrading to a king room. My husband and I plan on returning next year. A resort you never want to leave.

3  Thank BRIGID_B42041