“Amazing Place with Amazing Staff”

Secrets The Vine Cancun
Ranked #3 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Laconia, New Hampshire
“Amazing Place with Amazing Staff”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I could not say one negative thing about this resort, the staff or my stay. Everything was incredible! Not once did I see an unpleasant staff member and I never heard anyone complain. The food was amazing and the beach was a dream come true. The hotel itself was beautiful and modern. The staff will treat you like a king or queen and they are very very accommodating! The entertainment staff was awesome, friendly, happy and made everyone around them in a good mood. Julien was incredible and Victory was also very pleasant. These guys are very good at their jobs whether it be teaching you their dance or getting guests involved in a fun game of beach volleyball. They just make people happy.
If you are considering staying somewhere else, DONT! This place is more than we could have ever wished for and you will not regret staying here for one moment. You will not want to leave here at the end of your stay.

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing. We stayed on the 27th floor and the view was breath taking. The higher th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank amez23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,515)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Just returned from a week-long trip with my boyfriend, & here were our thoughts:

Pros:
The staff (including the cleaning crew!) - truly what makes this place great
The breakfast buffet - made-to-order omelettes & smoothies, fresh-squeezed orange juice, and pretty much anything else your little heart desires
The Asian restaurant, Dragons - the coconut-encrusted grouper was phenomenal
The coconut ice cream at Sea Salt Grille
The Newlywed Game show
The gym - brand new Lifefitness treadmills that overlook the ocean!
None of the restaurants required reservations, so you could have dinner wherever and whenever you wanted
Our minibar was restocked every day with all our favorite drinks

Cons:
The room service selection was kind of lacking, and the steak was kind of disappointing
They only carried six different types of beer, which we got a little tired of drinking all week
They only served four different types of free wine; you had to pay for all the rest (none of which were cheap!). It would have been nice if they had offered a wine-of-the-day each day to keep things interesting.
Umbrellas were in short supply, and if you didn't get to the pool early enough, they were often all taken
People woke up at 6:00 every morning to claim their cabanas, and many of them didn't return until three or four hours later! Secrets requests that cabanas not be held for any longer than 30 minutes, but I didn't see that this was ever enforced while we were there.
Dragons was closed the final night we were there, which we never discovered the reason for
We never got around to breaking our big bills for tipping money until the second night we were there, which definitely impacted the poolside service we received (kind of unfortunate considering tips are SUPPOSED to be included...)
Entertainment is hit and miss:
- We nearly missed the tequila tasting because it was held in a different location than what was listed on our entertainment guide, and it didn't seem like the cocktail class even ran at all
- Most of the nightly entertainment was geared for the older set - we watched longingly at all the rooftop concerts Hard Rock was hosting and kinda wished we had stayed there by the end of the week
- It started to feel like Groundhog Day by the end of the week, as the morning entertainment is identical every single day. It would have been nice if there was more variety offered throughout the week.
- I thought non-motorized watersports were supposed to be included in our trip price, but I didn't see anyone doing them
Even the discounted spa services are prohibitively expensive

We would also highly recommend swimming with dolphins on Isla Mujeres - pictures are a huge rip-off, though ($50 per person!)!

Room Tip: Definitely recommend the Hard Rock side for the entertainment
2 Thank Emily D
Meredith, New Hampshire
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This has been the best trip ever!!!!!! awesome amenities, excellent food, perfect beach, and the staff is just incredibly friendly! The entertainment team does a great job, they all knew us by our names, Victor was my favorite staff member always so nice and happy, overall the mood and attitude all around was enthusiastic and welcoming. Loved it can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: all rooms have ocean views, one side gets the sunrise, the other side the sunset, both absolutely go...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank OanaNH
Dallas
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just returned from a week long stay at The Vine. We've been to Maroma twice & Wild Orchid in Jamaica and have so far loved the Secrets Resorts. The Vine is just the same. Close 20 min. ride from airport. Quick check in. Be careful of the stairs when you walk through front door. I had on flip flops (had not been drinking) and almost tripped. The rooms are nice & spacious. Loved the dual head showers. Very modern. Dimming, touch-lighting was pretty cool. Balcony faced the pools which were nice & could see the ocean.

The Japanese restaurant was our favorite followed by Market Cafe as far as dinner goes. Didn't care for the Mediterranean, steak, or Italian restaurants. Didn't do dinner at Sea Salt but did lunch and it was great. Loved the veggie sandwiches & baja tacos. Only did lunch buffett once since there are so many food options but it was very good. This resort has the best desserts I've had in Mexico. There is no shortage of food esp. w/ 24-hour room service. LOVED how the chefs/cooks came out to the pools around 1pm and served appetitzers. Yummy!

This is the first time staying in the hotel zone and the ocean is beautiful here! Nice beach. The pools are cool. The preferred pool looked nice but was too quiet & boring for our taste so we were always at other 3. The lounges are plentiful here so I don't know why some reviews complained about it. You may not get the specific spot you want but there's always a chair somewhere. The chair game here is in full force which would be one of the few issues I had. Every day there were LOTS of empty "saved" chairs that no one came to for hours. We're sun lovers and we were out everyday so we saw this. If you notice someone has saved a chair but hasn't been there for hours tell an employee & they'll remove it for you. A couple that was next to us was gone for several hours and we thought maybe they forgot about their "books" on their loungers but when they returned they said they had gone on a snorkeling tour! Really?! I found that to be quite rude. You shouldn't be holding chairs if you're not even at the resort! And for several hours at that. Also, there are only a few canopy covered chairs/loungers and those were ALWAYS taken by the same people EVERY day of our stay. We got up at 6am for a run and they were all taken already. I'm not getting up at the crack of dawn to get a cabana and I did find this pretty unfair to others. I think the resort should charge for the cabana rentals and that'd help insure everyone has a fair chance at them. Also, the resort can make money. They could charge an all day rental fee or a 1/2 day fee.

Loved the phone app for Secrets. However, would love if there was an alert you received on your phone whenever you got a message. I like that they have free wifi however it was a bit blotchy w/ reception. Had to keep reconnecting.

Gym is good. Lots of equipment. Fitness classes were fun!

Some reviewers mentioned the loudness. That they could hear noise from their rooms. Well, that's what you get w/ concrete. Yes, we could hear even footsteps but it didn't bother us one bit.

The sports bar is the best we've been to in MX. Lots of viewing. The bar menu was good too.
The disco/piano bar was ok during the week. Kinda slow. But, the entertainers were great. Friday night was by far the best in there.

Loved the little deli. Always stopped there for a sandwhich on way back to room from pool.

Last but not least, the staff was wonderful! The entertainment crew was nice & fun. Especially Bethany! Shout out to Bethany!

Will we be back? Yes, of course, but not anytime soon. We have a few more Secrets resorts we'd like to try out. However, as of right now, Maroma is still our favorite.

BTW, as we all know everything can't alway be perfect & all hotels have their little mishaps. The only issues I have (& I'm not calling them complaints as they are just an issue) is:

1) You couldn't sit at the sushi bar to wait for your table. If you sat there, you had to order & eat there. I thought that was quite odd.

2) The day of our departure, I wanted to take a couple of sandwhiches with me to eat but the deli didn't have to go containers. They referred me to the buffet restaurant to get one. They didn't have any either. Really not a big deal but I was disappointed that they didn't even make an effort to find some.

3) And, our biggiest pet peeve, was one night we called to order room service. We were told they'd call us right back. We figured they were busy. After an hour, no one called. So, my husband called back and apparently the lady who answered the phone decided to take a break after our phone call and didn't tell anyone to call us and then she forgot about us. Yea, this was a little annoying as I was hungry but didn't want to get out of bed (had sunburn). So, we ended up getting up & getting dressed & heading to one of the restaurants because room service was going to be another hour! This was my biggest issue of our stay.

4 Thank sheryllynn69
Dubuque, Iowa
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed at Secrets The Vine April 27th-May 1st. We loved it, everything about it. Last year we stayed at Secrets Silversands which was just as nice but the beach there is terrible compared to The Vine. The food is really good even if your picky like us. The beach is so pretty, the rooms are very nice and welcoming. The employee's are so nice, helpful and wanting your stay to be one of the best stay's. From the time you walk in the resort til the time you leave. The only complaint that I have is I feel like the Airport should work with the Resort so that if your flight is delayed then you get to stay at the resort a little longer. We left the resort at 10:30am and when arriving to Airport they mentioned are flight was delayed and then we had to stay there til 3:00 when we could have been still enjoying ourselves a little longer at the resort. I would highly reccomend this resort to anyone of any age. Fun for all. Just loved it and want to go back already!!!!!

Room Tip: Our room was 1717 which was a great view, the air worked fine and wasn't noisy like other's...
4 Thank Kasey C
Rochester, NY
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We haven't stayed in the hotel zone for years and had been thinking about going back, and when the new Secrets opened up it seemed like the right time. Overall we both really enjoyed STV and have very few complaints.
The hotel (room and common areas) reminded me of Miami Beach. Clean modern design, with an attention to higher end finishing touches that sets it apart. But importantly, there were no sacrifices in comfort for the sake of design. We both missed having a tub in the room. Our room faced the Hard Rock but we never heard any noise from that direction. Actually I saw hardly any people over there.
I thought the food here was the best of any of the all-inclusives we've been to. Often what you get on your plate is a slight let down from the elaborate menu description, but I thought Secrets was more successful at delivering a higher-end product. Also the desserts are not usually the greatest in Mexico, but I had a few really nice ones here.
Because the hotel had to be built with a small footprint, there isn't much in the way of grounds. That makes the beach and especially the pool areas very VERY crowded. The irritating part was they ran out of umbrellas regularly, and there is no plan B. I read on Tripadvisor about great service around the pool but no one was the least bit interested in helping me with the umbrella thing, not even one day out of eight. When I could hunt down someone to ask (not easy), they just kind of shrugged and said "sorry all out" and walked away. Two days they refused to give out any umbrellas, "too windy." Forget getting a cabana, they are taken before 7AM. Because of that drama we got relegated to the preferred club pool several days. At least there were always umbrellas, but that pool is small, inconveniently located, and loungers are wedged in like sardines.
The pools were very crowded even though the hotel was not. It was nice to see people enjoying the pools which was because they were kept very warm. In some resorts (Excellence) the pools are often freezing and no one wants to go in, so that is one HUGE plus for STV. Hubby missed having a swim-up bar.
For the life of me I don't understand the dead palm tree remains around the pool. Two of them never even had their palms untied which is how the landscapers would have originally installed them. Of all the Secrets we've been to in Mexico, landscaping is never their strong suit. They should probably just put down landscaping boulders and give up.
There is no open air theater here, unlike most places we've been. They had one or two shows in the hotel lobby, which seemed a bit of an afterthought, "Oops we forgot to build a theater now what do we do?" The Elvis and mariachi shows were outside in the pool area, much more enjoyable on a tropical evening than sitting in a lobby.
This is unusual for us, but I have to say we really enjoyed the heck out of the piano bar and went nearly every night. They had live music, and afterwards club music. The bartender and waiters were a hoot, helped make the evenings fun. The average guest age in the bar at night was probably mid 40's (I'm guessing many of the 20-somethings went to the Cancun clubs). Afterward we'd order room service cheeseburgers and brownies. Good times.
Overall: we both liked STV, thought the food and service were great, and would recommend it to others who wanted to be right in Cancun. Preferred Club was worth it for us only because the upgrade was cheap enough and it became my fall-back for shade (though shame on them that we had to do that). For us, next time we'll stay down the coast because we prefer resorts to hotels.

Room Tip: The higher up you go the better the view. But don't be fooled, the floors start at ten.
8 Thank KitchaMitcha
Minneapolis
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Previous reviews pretty much say it all so I'll keep it short here...

- ultra-clean, very modern, inviting resort. Not a sprawling, 500 acre resort like you'd find in other spots, if that's what you are looking for. But, with the amount of space they had, I think they did a great job at incorporating plants and giving people lots of different spots to choose from to hang out.

- great service everywhere. We did have to wait for about 20 minutes to get tables at both Dragons and Nebbiolo, even though tables were open. I'm sure it was a staffing issue, and we just headed to the bar, but others were upset by this. Food was pretty good eveywhere. Some things were fabulous (dim sum & sushi @ Dragons, pork tacos served @ pool, pasta/seabass @ Nebbiolo); others were just OK (pad thai @ Dragons, very thin steak @ the steakhouse). Very, very good overall for an all inclusive. Just don't expect the steakhouse to be Manny's.

- you can tell from the outside that the preferred balconies are 50% bigger than the standard rooms. I'm assuming the rooms are also 50% wider. While we found the other perks of the preferred club to be fairly unnecessary, I think it's worth it for the small price we paid on expedia to upgrade. I *think* you just need to upgrade to either preferred OR the junior suite, since it sure appears that they are one and the same. The butlers on the preferred floors as very attentive and kind but we never really utilized them. Others probably did. You can have them pack/unpack for you, make reservations outside the resort, iron things, etc. The preferred pool was a nice change of pace although we liked the main pool better. The preferred lounge had some good treats out during the day and was another spot to grab a quick drink, but again, I'm not sure it added a ton to our experience.

- The entertainment team is great....they really do a great job of having activities all day while also allowing relaxation, if you don't want to take part. That was the biggest difference between Live Aqua, where we stayed last time, and here. It was nice to have shows, live music and other activies in the evening. Newlywed show was pretty funny. Circus show was entertaining as well.

- Huge shower (maybe 5' by 10'?), comfy beds, beautiful views from the balconies. I actually like the view down the strip better than a straight-on ocean view. You can see all the hotels, the lagoon and the ocean. While not completely private, they were certainly private enough.

- Fabulous spa. The $40 spa credts per person that are included with the room (just don't get suckered into the presentation for additional credits) made the massages $99 instead of $139.

- Get down to the main pool by 6:45 or so to get a cabana if you want one. People put their stuff down and leave, of course. We did this one day and enjoyed having the big area to lounge.

- Our biggest complaints: no Captain Morgan and no Pinot Grigio by the glass. Unlucky that these are our favorite drinks. We adjusted, of course. But, I would like to see them add these as options. They boast 12,000 bottles of wine but only I think 5 were 'free'. We didn't really experience a hard upsell for wine but for the prices people pay I'd like to think Pinot could be included. Their rum was Bacardi (not my fave). Sports bar was kind of a strange, dark area. Maybe resdesign it for better atmosphere. They did run out of umbrellas one day by 11:00 am. Hard to find shade without one.

Overall, a great vacation. We don't often return to the same resort twice but due to how much we enjoyed Secrets and the limited amount of adult all inclusives in the area, we are likely to return down the road.

4 Thank MNWinterBlues
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Le Blanc Spa Resort
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#5 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,398 reviews

Been to Secrets The Vine Cancun? Share your experiences!