“Another Satisfied Secrets Customer”

Secrets The Vine Cancun
Ranked #5 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Minneapolis
“Another Satisfied Secrets Customer”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Previous reviews pretty much say it all so I'll keep it short here...

- ultra-clean, very modern, inviting resort. Not a sprawling, 500 acre resort like you'd find in other spots, if that's what you are looking for. But, with the amount of space they had, I think they did a great job at incorporating plants and giving people lots of different spots to choose from to hang out.

- great service everywhere. We did have to wait for about 20 minutes to get tables at both Dragons and Nebbiolo, even though tables were open. I'm sure it was a staffing issue, and we just headed to the bar, but others were upset by this. Food was pretty good eveywhere. Some things were fabulous (dim sum & sushi @ Dragons, pork tacos served @ pool, pasta/seabass @ Nebbiolo); others were just OK (pad thai @ Dragons, very thin steak @ the steakhouse). Very, very good overall for an all inclusive. Just don't expect the steakhouse to be Manny's.

- you can tell from the outside that the preferred balconies are 50% bigger than the standard rooms. I'm assuming the rooms are also 50% wider. While we found the other perks of the preferred club to be fairly unnecessary, I think it's worth it for the small price we paid on expedia to upgrade. I *think* you just need to upgrade to either preferred OR the junior suite, since it sure appears that they are one and the same. The butlers on the preferred floors as very attentive and kind but we never really utilized them. Others probably did. You can have them pack/unpack for you, make reservations outside the resort, iron things, etc. The preferred pool was a nice change of pace although we liked the main pool better. The preferred lounge had some good treats out during the day and was another spot to grab a quick drink, but again, I'm not sure it added a ton to our experience.

- The entertainment team is great....they really do a great job of having activities all day while also allowing relaxation, if you don't want to take part. That was the biggest difference between Live Aqua, where we stayed last time, and here. It was nice to have shows, live music and other activies in the evening. Newlywed show was pretty funny. Circus show was entertaining as well.

- Huge shower (maybe 5' by 10'?), comfy beds, beautiful views from the balconies. I actually like the view down the strip better than a straight-on ocean view. You can see all the hotels, the lagoon and the ocean. While not completely private, they were certainly private enough.

- Fabulous spa. The $40 spa credts per person that are included with the room (just don't get suckered into the presentation for additional credits) made the massages $99 instead of $139.

- Get down to the main pool by 6:45 or so to get a cabana if you want one. People put their stuff down and leave, of course. We did this one day and enjoyed having the big area to lounge.

- Our biggest complaints: no Captain Morgan and no Pinot Grigio by the glass. Unlucky that these are our favorite drinks. We adjusted, of course. But, I would like to see them add these as options. They boast 12,000 bottles of wine but only I think 5 were 'free'. We didn't really experience a hard upsell for wine but for the prices people pay I'd like to think Pinot could be included. Their rum was Bacardi (not my fave). Sports bar was kind of a strange, dark area. Maybe resdesign it for better atmosphere. They did run out of umbrellas one day by 11:00 am. Hard to find shade without one.

Overall, a great vacation. We don't often return to the same resort twice but due to how much we enjoyed Secrets and the limited amount of adult all inclusives in the area, we are likely to return down the road.

4 Thank MNWinterBlues

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,571)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Indiana
Reviewed May 1, 2013

…except I had to go home. Other than that, it was perfect. I stayed with my husband for a week, March 16 – 23rd. This was his first stay at this resort, my 2nd stay. I visited in Dec/Jan with my cousin for a girl’s trip and decided it was so fantastic – this resort would be the very first resort I ever repeated. In fact, that is why my review is delayed. Trip Advisor will only allow you to review a property once every three months. I travel about 3 times a year to all inclusive resorts, and the past few years I have stayed at adults only, upper end resorts. I am very hard to please (so I have been told by many) and extremely picky when it comes to food. My review is long and overly detailed, so the short and long of it is BOOK IT! You won’t regret it. The service is phenomenal; the food is delicious; the rooms are very large and comfortable; the view is breathtaking; and you will have all your needs attended to while staying here.

My review is broken down into several categories. I wanted to first give a few tips that I feel are important in helping you have an extraordinary stay. After these tips, I’ll get into my review:
1- Book the room you want and do not expect an upgrade. Free upgrades do happen based on availability. But do not count on getting upgraded to a particular room so that you are let down if it doesn’t happen for you. Not everyone can get a free upgrade. I have read reviews where people get so upset because they can’t get a free upgrade…and it seems they let it affect their entire trip. Book the room you can’t live without – and if you get a free upgrade to another level – consider it the bonus/perk that it is. You will be much happier.
2- Preferred club – if you book a preferred club room, USE your butler. Your butler is your go to person for everything. EVERYTHING. Your butler will introduce themselves to you; show you around – use that opportunity to get to know him/her. Their job is to cover all the details for you – make sure your stay is perfect. Let them do that. You booked a preferred room, so please use this perk. If you have a problem with the lights in your room, contact your butler. If your butler isn’t around, contact the receptionist/concierge on your floor. That is what they are there for. You have a problem with room service – contact your butler. You have a problem at dinner one night – talk to your butler the next day. I am telling you, your butler is your go to person for everything and can resolve so many issues if something isn’t meeting your expectations. It is so disappointing for me to read reviews where someone had an issue (can’t figure out how to work the lights) –and instead of contacting their butler to help them, they struggle all week with the lights, get frustrated and end up writing about it on Trip Advisor. There is no need to struggle all week or even a few days with anything. Contact your butler so your entire stay is enjoyable.
3- Bread – before you go to this resort, go to your local bakery and pick up some Italian or French baguettes and eat one. This is the type of bread that is served at most meals. It is hard and crusty. It is made that way. It is disappointing to read reviews stating the bread is stale and dried out (Sigh) when obviously they have never eaten baguettes before. They are supposed to be that way. You will not get Grands or Pillsbury. But please note the hamburger and hot dog buns are fresh and tasty – also as they should be.
4- Names – remember the names (or jot them down) of those you feel need to be mentioned. I used to only mention a few – as I didn’t want to list 20 names thinking it would take away from the importance of those I wanted to recognize. NOT the case at all!! If someone impresses you, does something good you want to mention – please do list their names even if it means listing many people. Their managers read these reviews and those who stand out – get mentioned – are rewarded for that. That is why it is important to be specific and not say you don’t want to mention names. Mentioning names is important in this industry. I was very happy to learn this as I held back last time thinking I would overshadow the important of the few who I really wanted to praise.
5- ASK, ASK ASK – I read reviews where people are disappointed because they didn’t get anything special for their honeymoon and think it is obvious to everyone they are on their honeymoon by the simple fact they booked the honeymoon suite. Anybody can book any category of room. Nothing is obvious. If you are celebrating something special – let your butler know! If you don’t have a butler, please let the front desk know! If you can have your travel agent list it on your reservation – even better. They will know in advance. If you don’t have a travel agent – contact the resort yourself and let them know. The employees are really good here, but they are not mind readers. If you want something ASK. Do not hint or beat around the bush. Please ASK….and trust me, they will do what they can to make it happen if it’s within their power or authority. At the same time, be realistic in your desires. Don’t expect your butler to get you a free dinner on the beach because it’s your anniversary. Dinners on the beach are extra. Your butler can’t change that. Many people go on vacation to celebrate anniversary, wedding, birthday, etc. so they can’t give away something free (that normally costs extra) to everyone celebrating….or that would be everyone pretty much. So be realistic in your expectations.
6- You do not have to sit through a sales pitch to get your coupons. If you have coupons coming to you (when you booked, you were told you had coupons coming)…then you just have to ask for them if you don’t get them upon check in. They may ask you a few questions or inquire if you are interested in looking at other properties, etc. But if you aren’t interested, just politely say you aren’t interested. You aren’t required to sit through any presentation– and there is nothing wrong with saying no thank you, I just want my coupons---and be done with it. Please don’t be afraid to say no, go through the presentation –then complain about it. You don’t have to go. No goes along way in Mexico – a polite no.
7- Facebook – if you are on Facebook, like their page. Zuleica Avila does a fantastic job putting up information and replying to comments. But please be respectful and do your homework first. Don’t ask questions that have been asked over and over and are posted on their website. Don’t ask about other resorts or how it compares to other resorts. Trip Advisor Forum is for that. This is a FAN page and is about this resort.
8- Secrets App – download it to your smart phone and use it!
9- Wifi – turn off your data roaming on your phone and use the resort’s wifi during your stay. Remember you are in Mexico, so the wifi may be slower and at times intermittent –but for the most part it works rather well.
10- Tipping – tipping isn’t required, but it sure is appreciated. I do not take a vacation unless I can afford to tip. I do consider myself to be an above average tipper by choice. But it is having the choice to tip that makes me want to tip extra. Those of you who also enjoy tipping will understand what I am saying. I encountered nobody at this resort who even remotely acted like they were waiting on a tip. Every tip I gave, whether it was a $1 or a $20 was accepted with graciousness and thankfulness. It is that reaction that made me want to tip more. So tip what you can and who you want – and don’t forget those who aren’t waiting directly on you (those cleaning the bathrooms, putting out towels, cleaning the floors, etc). However, please note if you plan to hold your tip until the end of the trip – instead of tipping throughout your stay, as some people prefer to leave one larger tip at the end of the week—remember to find out if that person is going to be working that day. I hear some people tip their housekeeper at the end of the week. I personally choose to tip daily because I am afraid the person who cleaned my room all week may be off that last day and someone else will get the big tip intended for someone else. I tip the butler and concierge/receptionist for all their help during the week, but I make sure I know their day(s) off so I can tip before I leave and not miss them on their day off. We also tip for housekeeping, turn down service, minibar service, at restaurants, etc.

Arrival –
My arrival was nothing short of incredible. The head butler, Joaquin, met me and my husband at the front door and greeted us to welcome me back to the resort. At the top of the stairs was Cesar Enriquez, my butler from my last visit. I was crossing my fingers as I ran up the stairs to greet him - that he would be my butler on this trip as well. I was very pleased to learn that he was! I introduced him to my husband and we made our way to the 25th floor. Our room was on the 24th floor, but I had become friends with LLuvia Rodriguez on my last trip – Cesar took me to the floor she was working on that day to check in so I could see her. I was very pleased he did that for me. It’s the little things that mean so much! LLuvia made check in a breeze as always, gave us our needed papers, keys, etc. I actually went in search of her every day if she wasn’t working on my floor just to see her smiling face and say hello. She is a gem! I really appreciate having LLuvia around. It just made our stay that much more perfect.

Room—
Cesar made sure our room was perfect….and it was. All the details he gave us – wine, apples, customizing our liquor with my favorites as he remembered from before …everything was perfect. During our stay, it was our 13th anniversary. He made sure we got the lovely door banner. He put sparkling wine in our room, chocolate covered strawberries, a beautiful card, and even decorated the room with rose petals (and created a heart out of the petals on the bed). It was stunning. We really felt like royalty during our stay. I can’t thank Cesar enough for all the special things he did for us. He came out to visit us a few times at the pools during the day just to check on us, make sure everything was going good, and to see if we needed anything. He noticed my husband drinking a particular beer and asked if he liked it. To our surprise, that evening we found that particular beer stocked in our fridge. I said it in my first review and I will say it again – if you can request a butler/concierge team, I highly recommend Cesar and LLuvia. Your stay will be perfect – and if you need anything at all – please just ask. These two are wonderful and have become friends of mine!

Pools/Beach—
I was excited to see Abiel again (my pool waiter from my previous trip)! We actually followed him around to the various areas he was assigned to each day so that we could have him as our waiter. We asked him at the end of each day where he was assigned to the following day, and that is where we got our chairs. We had his service on the beach one day, the preferred pool and the main activities pool. We were disappointed that the last several days of our stay he wasn’t waiting on guests, but rather running food (because I am selfish and wanted his services all week). But I suppose someone has to run food. We still managed to find him and say hello. And he brought us our food poolside that we ordered, which was nice. I think Abiel is probably one of the best pool waiters I have ever had at any resort. He is quick, courteous, and has an excellent memory. He remembered from my first trip that I liked the fish tacos with no sauce. I was impressed. So kudos to my friend, Abiel. Best of luck my friend!

And speaking of the pools, I wish I had gotten her name…but there is a lady (the same lady every day we were there) who is constantly folding towels, replenishing towels, scrubbing the concrete, cleaning the bathroom, helping guests with their umbrellas, and I don’t know what all else she was doing –but she ALWAYS did it with a smile on her face. She is one hard worker and I wanted to definitely recognize her and ask all my fellow Trip Advisor friends who come here to please remember to tip her as well. She is amazing and that can easily be a thankless job.

If you need an umbrella, on the beach or at any of the pools, as you have to do is ask. You can ask your waiter, food runner, entertainment people, pretty much any employee around can contact the right people and get you an umbrella. They have plenty of umbrellas and are happy to bring them around. And if you need 2 – they will bring you 2. All you have to do is ask. It is frustrating for me to read negative comments about “no shade.” There is all kinds of shade if you ask for it.

Oh and one pool story. One day Abiel was going to be waiting on guests at the preferred pool. So, we decided that would be our spot for the day. We headed up there only to find many chairs reserved, and only a few open in the back. There weren’t many people there – but lots of saved chairs. I refuse to play the towel game, and as much as I wanted to have Abiel be our waiter – I wasn’t willing to sit in less than stellar seats while all the good chairs were empty but saved. So, we decided to go down to the lap pool where we could get really good seats. What I didn’t realize is that Fabian, the preferred pool concierge followed us down. He wanted to know why we left and what he could do to get us back up there. I explained the situation and he said to give him 5 minutes and he’d get us front row seats like I wanted. We go up, and sure enough – there are now 2 open seats for us. Fabian told us if we tell him where we want to sit and on what days – he’d hold those chairs for us. But if he doesn’t know, he can’t hold them. I appreciated that – even though it is still a towel game. But if you plan to visit the preferred pool, you may drop by and speak with Fabian the day you arrive or the day before you want to go to that pool– and tell him what you want. I was very happy he did this as it allowed us to be waited on Abiel – which was our goal of hanging out at the preferred pool that day. And no, we weren’t stalking Abiel (as it sort of sounds that way) lol. He was really good to me when I was there in Dec/Jan – and I like to stick with what works. Plus, we wanted to sit at all the different pools and beach anyway, so it worked out for us to follow him around.

Food/Restaurants

Market Café – we ate most of our breakfasts and several lunches at Market Café this trip. The food is really good. The ladies making omelets did a fantastic job. Don’t forget to tip those gals or the guys who cook you food to order at lunch. Stephanie, the hostess, was a pleasure to see each day and was very friendly. We had the good fortune of being seated in Mauricio & Alvaro’s sections one day for lunch – and we requested this duo each time we returned thereafter. They were very quick and courteous. Always quick to refill drinks or offer up a chef special – delivered directly to our table. Our last day, Mauricio was off –so we requested to be waited on by Alvaro, and I was blown away at how honored he was to wait on us. He was a very good waiter, and I wish the best of luck to Alvaro – as he and his wife have a son on the way. I found the food at Market Café (breakfast and lunch) to be very good. The egg station where you could get omelets or eggs cooked to order was excellent. The selection of meats, vegetables, fruits and pastries was also very good. At lunch, it was nice they would cook whatever you wanted (selection was in the cold bar to choose from) shrimp, ribeye, flank steak, fish, chicken, etc. They also had cooked to order pasta. You could get made to order smoothies, Paninis or select items already cooked on the buffet. I am a picky eater and never had any problems finding delicious food. I can’t leave out Jorge who also waited on us a couple of times and was fantastic! Thank you for taking good care of us everyone. I certainly miss each of you every morning…especially Alvaro knowing I wanted a mimosa before I even asked and Mauricio for being quick to pour a nice, cold glass of wine at lunch! We never ate at Market Café for dinner.

Sea Salt – do not be fooled by this casual atmosphere for dinner. I was not expecting it to be fantastic based on reviews and my own personal experience in January – but I was blown away! I believe our dinner at Sea Salt was probably our best dinner of this trip. It was delicious! The room temperature was perfect. There was a breeze outside and they had the door propped open so it allowed fresh air to enter the dining area without causing disruption to the guests. There was a musician that played during our meal – and he was fantastic. Our waiter, Oscar, was top notch and could not have served us any quicker or more pleasantly. The chef, Carlo, came out to various tables checking on guests – and I even saw him delivering food! That is impressive when the chef cares enough about his restaurant to take time out from the kitchen to see what is going on. And did I mention the food was delicious??!? I had Conger and it was so buttery and flaky. My husband had steak and it was tender, juicy and cooked to perfection. This restaurant impressed me the most and definitely gets the most improved (from January) award in my book. This is proof that the managers and employees read these reviews and act on them to improve. Excellent job Carlo and Oscar. Excellent!! Unfortunately, we ate here the last night of our trip and were unable to return and repeat the experience. Had we eaten here the first night – we would have certainly returned. I highly encourage you to try this restaurant out for yourself!

We also ate lunch here a couple of times. The flank steak sandwich – oh my, it’s really good. If you want habanera sauce for your chips or nachos, ask for it –and use it sparingly until you see how hot it is. It is very hot but has a wonderful flavor. The fish tacos are wonderful (with no sauce for me). Everything we had was very good.

Olio –
I didn’t eat at this restaurant the first trip, so this was my first dining experience. We ate there the night we arrived and had Jorge for our waiter. He was a nice and efficient waiter. In our conversation with him, we mentioned we were celebrating our anniversary later in the week, so he prepared us a special dessert with “Happy 13th Anniversary” on it. I was impressed. Our food was also very good. We both had beef tenderloin with lentils – which was delicious. The meat was tender and juicy as well. Don’t be fooled by the utensils. They aren’t sharp – and you may be misled to think your meat is tough. Once you get your meat cut with your butter knife and actually taste the steak– you can quickly see the quality of the meat is good and tender. So please don’t be misled by trying to cut your beef with butter knife and think it’s tough. Get past that to enjoy the dinner for what it is. The Greek salad was delicious as was the gazpacho. Thank you Jorge for an enjoyable meal.

Dragons –
We ate there twice during this stay, and I must say –what a treat! The food is very good and well presented. I enjoyed the chicken pad thai, as well as the spring rolls and dim sum. I do not like most seafood, and the spring rolls contain shrimp according to the menu. However, I just asked them to prepare me some without shrimp, and they agreed without hesitation (last trip and this trip). Hugo, our waiter, even asked me if I was allergic so he could make sure it was prepared properly, but I have no food allergies. It was a very good question for a waiter to ask. I did ask Hugo if they had strawberry jelly or jam (like they serve at breakfast). I know it was an odd request, but I knew breakfast was being served in Dragons the next day and thought perhaps there was a small amount lying around somewhere. He said he didn’t think so, and I told him it wasn’t a big deal – because it really wasn’t. I had been to another resort which served their spring rolls with a spicy strawberry sauce, and it was delicious. We were able to recreate it at home by adding strawberry jelly to the spicy chili sauce. So I just thought if they had the strawberry jam/jelly, I would mix it with the chili sauce provided and have that with my spring rolls. But, truly no big deal. But Hugo didn’t just tell me no. He went to the head waiter and Chef William to see if any strawberry jelly could be found to make this concoction for me. I was very impressed they went this far to try and get it for me. The head waiter came to our table to tell me they were sorry but couldn’t make it for me that evening, but perhaps the chef could work on it for later. I knew I would be unable to come back for dinner another night, but I couldn’t believe the lengths they went through to try and make it happen. I was very impressed by this. So, Chef William – I am the crazy lady who requested strawberry jelly, and now you know the rest of the story. Haha It is delicious though. You should try it.

Nebbiolo—
I love this Italian restaurant. I loved it my first trip, and I loved it this trip. We purchased a bottle of wine for our anniversary and received a special table. Again, thank you Cesar for that information and recommendation! It was perfect. We had a lovely table in the window with a beautiful lagoon view. The food is delicious. I like the herb bread they serve with the olive oil and vinegar. It is delicious! Oh, and for those who don’t like the hard baguettes, request the herb bread only. It is soft – and meant to be that way. I have eaten there 3 times total over both trips and ordered the exact same food each time because it is that good. I love the caprese salad, minestrone soup, and the chicken basil pasta (which has some fancy name that I never remember). Delicious. I personally don’t find the portions small. I think the portions are normal portions. We are just so used to everything being supersized that we expect our plates to overflow with food. I typically order from each course – and by the time the meal is over, I am completely satisfied. But as many other reviewers say, it is all inclusive. If you want more – order more. They are very accommodating at this resort.

Blue Water –
This restaurant was my husband’s 2nd favorite for dinner, as we both agreed Sea Salt blew everyone out of the water in terms of taste, delivery, and service. That doesn’t mean the other restaurants weren’t good – because they were very good. We were just both overly impressed with Sea Salt. But second to Sea Salt, my husband loved Blue Water the best. He is a red meat and potato guy, so this worked well for him. We thought the food tasted good, service was similar to the other restaurants (aside from Sea Salt which was stellar) – and it was an enjoyable experience.

Sports Bar – we only managed to visit the sports bar one evening due to the hours it was open, but we had a great time. We shared a Rod Gahr burger and some wings. Very tasty. I must confess Ms. Erika. I am not who you thought I was. I tried explaining that I wasn’t – but it didn’t work out too well. It even sounded like I was lying to myself! Hahahaha I still have a good laugh when I think about it. You are a very good bartender and we truly appreciated your conversation during our time at the sports bar. Thank you for making it fun and enjoyable.

Piano Bar –
Jesus! I am surprised you remembered me and the cosmo I drank! I would have visited you more often, but we typically do not stay up very late when we travel. We try to – but we end up going to dinner early and getting tired early. I love the atmosphere of this lounge/bar and loved the band when I was there last time. And as I say every time – I will try harder to stay up later next time!

Lobby Bar-
I have to give a shout out to Sebastian! Good bartender and a good memory!

Coffee Bar –
I love the coffee bar. We used it quite a bit and enjoyed this perk. I am partial to the frozen Caribbean Latte and found it quite refreshing in the afternoons.

Wine tasting –
My goal was to attend as many of the 1pm and 3pm wine tastings as possible. The reality was we managed to go to 2 total. Haha It’s funny how time flies when you are sitting by the pool, sipping cocktails. But Oliver was a great Sommelier and very informative both times. I found I really do like a Carmenere---and all this time thought I was a Cab girl. I thought it was nice to see him walking through the restaurants offering advice to people on wine selections with dinner. He only approached us once asking if we wanted to purchase a bottle – and we didn’t at that time, and he was fine with it. No pressure at all. But I personally liked that he had presence in the restaurants. The wine list can be very intimidating as there are so many. And while I really enjoy wine, I don’t believe myself to be a true connoisseur. So to have him available to us during dinner to ask questions is a nice perk. I know he could recommend something perfect that perhaps the waiter couldn’t. So, I thought it was a nice touch. Again, if you don’t wish to purchase wine, just politely say no.

At the end of our trip (my second trip), I found myself wanting to express some comments to management about a few ideas/thoughts I had. While I believe Trip Advisor is a good avenue for a fair trip report, there are some ideas/thoughts that are just that ---ideas/thoughts and are not part of the actual review. So I wanted to keep those ideas separate and address those only to the management. So I asked Cesar & LLuvia what was the best way for me to do that since I had missed the manager’s cocktail party that week. They both recommended I write a letter and they’d see to it that the general manager, Jean-Pierre Sorin, got the letter. It wasn’t that I didn’t believe them, but I know how that usually goes. You write a letter…and you wonder if they ever read it. Well, I am here to say if you write a letter, they read it---and they read it immediately. I wrote a letter to Jean-Pierre around 11am the day we were leaving. We had lunch, did a late checkout of 1pm, and Cesar as well as his manager, Joaquin, said they’d walk us down to our transportation. I was very impressed. I know I have become friends with Cesar over my last 2 stays, but I know he is busy and had other guests to attend to. So for him to take time out to walk us down was very nice. I appreciated that Joaquin decided to come as well. I couldn’t praise Cesar and LLuvia enough in his presence because I want everyone to know how fabulous they are. I felt a little like royalty being escorted out. We were walking toward the entrance when I saw Jean-Pierre and another manager standing along our path. My first thought was how convenient! I can tell him I wrote a letter. I was very excited. Then he spoke to us, called us by name, and I realized he came to meet US!! It wasn’t happenstance that our paths crossed. He intentionally called up to see when we were leaving so he could personally tell us he had read my letter and wanted me to know they take all comments very seriously. Yes, my mouth was open at that point. I have never been greeted by a manager at a resort, and I have been traveling for quite some time. Jean-Pierre joked with us about a snow storm in Cancun so we couldn’t fly out, we’d have to stay longer. We felt very special. At that moment a lot of feelings came to surface for me. I have never felt more appreciated as a guest as I did in that moment with Cesar by my side, Joaquin next to him, and Jean-Pierre in front of me shaking my hand. I thought of LLuvia, and how she was always there for me during the week no matter what I wanted. I thought of Abiel at the pool, Maurico and Alvaro at the Market Café, and I actually felt like I was leaving behind friends. It was a surreal feeling. I am embarrassed to say I was so caught up in that moment – realizing the general manager was there to wish us well, telling me he had already read my extremely long letter, and cared enough to let me know in person –that I completely forgot the name of the other gentleman standing beside him. I recall Cesar saying he helped him….but the rest is a blur. So to the unnamed gentleman, I appreciate you as well and am so sorry I don’t remember your name.

So our stay was perfect....except we had to leave. And while everyone has different vacation experiences – and differences of opinions on service, food, style/décor of the hotel, etc. –I can’t imagine anyone staying here and not truly enjoying their stay. Your experience is what you make of it. Will the manager greet every guest as they arrive or leave? Probably not. Will mistakes be made? Yes, we are all human. Will someone make an impression on you during your stay? Most likely. Book this resort. Search for my friends listed above – and make new friends of your own, but most of all Enjoy! Life is short.

Room Tip: Preferred Club is worth it. Request Cesar Enriquez as your butler.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
19 Thank Bridkoe2
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed at The Vine from April 18-25. After hearing our travel agent's testimonial and reading all the great reviews, we were prepared for a great stay. The Vine did not disappoint! The only rough spot was our check-in, which was delayed until 4:00, but management stepped up and made it right. Everything else - GREAT. I won't bore everyone with another repetitive great review, but I will touch on some things that really stood out but sometimes fail to get mentioned.

The Gym - For a resort or hotel of any kind, the gym here is top notch. For all the fitness buffs out there, pack workout clothes - you will want to take advantage of this! The treadmills and ellipticals overlook the beautiful beach. Where else can you get your cardio in while watching the sun rise over the Caribbean? There is a great variety of LifeFitness machines to work all body parts. If you use free weights, they have dumbbells ranging from 5 to 50 pounds. There is an attendant on staff should you need anything, and they will even offer you a bottled water while you're using the cardio equipment - a very nice touch! It does get a little warm in there with the sun coming through the window in the mornings, but no big deal. Just think, you're burning more calories.

Attention to Detail - Whether it's the decor, the styling, or the great service, this resort hits on all cylinders. The entire resort is gorgeous and very, very well-staffed with a friendly hard-working team that does all it can to provide you an immaculate resort for your stay. Whether it's the window cleaners up on their pulley system cleaning the outside glass, or the pool team scrubbing the pool early in the morning, everybody is always hard at work with a smile on their face. As good as the entire team was, one server that really stood out to us was Abundio on the beach. Every day that we sat out on the beach, he never let our drinks get empty and built good rapport with us. It was plenty hot out there on the beach, and he was always hustling to get the job done.

Other highlights:
- All-inclusive 24/7 room service - Grilled grouper and rib-eye steak among the menu choices...awesome.
- Free international calling - very important to us.
- Top-shelf liquor available and drinks weren't watered down - unlike other resorts
- Channel 36 :)

One last thing...bring a considerable amount of tip money and take good care of the people that take such good care of you!

Thanks for a great visit, Secrets! We may try Secrets Maroma next time, but we will definitely return to The Vine in the future!

Room Tip: The higher up you are, obviously the better the view. If you're not staying in Preferred, see if...
2 Thank Bart W
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Just got back from a 10 night trip at Secrets the Vine. I have also traveled to Secrets Silversands and Secrets Maroma. Its hard to pick my favorite but I am leaning towards the Vine!

We had a standard room on the 20th floor and it was great! We did use the resort coupons to upgrade to the honeymoon suite on our last night for only ($85 total) after coupons. I highly suggest asking for a tour of the other rooms towards the end of your stay just to get a look at what is out there. B/c of the upgrade we were also able to use the spa for free for one day which was alone worth the upgrade cost. (normally $59 a person just to get into spa) If you can afford the honeymoon suite for your whole stay, DO IT, otherwise the general room is still amazing (better than Maroma and Silversands)

In my opinion the views/location are what set this hotel apart from the other secrets resorts I have been to. I also loved the modern architecture and decor in and outside the hotel. I never had a bad meal nor did I ever have to wait to eat dinner. Room service was equally amazing-I recommend getting breakfast on your balcony at least once.

A cant miss activity is the tour of the kitchen along with the management cocktail hour. We got to meet so many people associated with the hotel who really cared with how your experience was and how they could get better.

My only negatives were no DVD player in the room and the music by the pool was pretty boring until water aerobics started.

My favorite employees who made my experience memorable were:

Tea/Oliver-Wine Tastings
Neruburto- Sports Bar Bartender
Balam and Bethany-Entertainment Team
Zu-Conceirge
Diego, Freddie, Jesus- Outdoor Bar
Erik- head Chef
Albriel-pool waiter

Thanks to everyone at Secrets the VIne, I can't wait to return.

3 Thank Kristen S
Palatine
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We've been to secrets Capri once and silver sands several times and had been very satisfied with the experiences at silver sands that we were curious to see how the vine compared to both. The vine is more hotel like than the other resorts. The rooms featured in web pages do not look like that unless you have the preferred rooms which is similar to time share property so it was deceiving. The hotel rooms, although clean and modern, too modern in fact where it's hard to figure out lighting system. It's either too bright or too dark. When all lights are on, the decor of the room is like being inside a casket due to the white window draping on the walls. Minimal outlets in rooms for you to charge anything. Internet connectivity they say is avail free in room but connection is very weak and slow. You' d still need to go in lobby to get acceptable connection. Food is good, and lots of it. Waiters are accommodating but service can be slow esp at sea salt and breakfast restaurants. Entertainment team is very good! We loved the diva show and the Elvis show!! Please keep bring Elvis back, we loved him when he was at silver sands as well. He was hysterical! the noise from the hotel next door can be overwhelming ! While watching shows at night, it tends to compete with the neighboring concerts from adjacent hotels. The spa has a lot to be desired. Alfredo, who tries to recruit guests to spa services gives inaccurate promises. I requested a deep tissue massage and he said he will arrange for the strongest massage male therapist for me and when I got to the spa, had Patricia who was not a strong therapist. No one was attentive in the spa area in showing you which series of water treatments are available prior to your spa service. The locker room locks have such small numbers that its really hard to see the numbers. Very disappointed with spa experience. Also, when my husband booked our reservation, he was told they offer yoga classes daily. Not true! No yoga instructor for the wk...we won't be back at this resort.. So something new, it was disappointing....

1 Thank Ann M
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This resort was great in so many ways that many other reviewers have already stated, but I felt it necessary to write one specifically to praise the best member of staff I've met here, Jimmy at the Market Cafe. My fiancee and I came to get married at Secrets, and we were very lucky to be seated in Jimmy's section for our first meal. Immediately, we were greeted with tons of energy, enthusiasm, and courtesy. His service was fast, detailed, and came with a great attitude.

Throughout our one week stay here, every time we dined with Jimmy as our server, we never had to ask for anything. Everything we needed was done automatically, very quickly, and with a smile. If you ever have a special request, you can always ask Jimmy and he will find a way to do it for you. One day we wanted something non-alcoholic to drink that was still interesting and he brought back a "Jimmy Special" which was a great cucumber limeade. Later when we wanted another one of these from the other bars in the resort, they all said they couldn't make it. He simply goes out of his way to get you whatever you may desire. He even had great tips for local clubs, transportation, and shopping. I barely had to speak to the concierge while I was here because I could just ask Jimmy at breakfast every morning.

I came here with a group of 16 for my wedding, and every single member of our party agreed that Jimmy was by far the best server at the hotel, and he is the one member of the staff they will miss the most when they leave Cancun.

Honestly, some of the other servers at this resort could learn something from Jimmy. Eating at the many other restaurants on the property, I found that there were a number of servers who were very slow, forgot to take orders, didn't refill drinks for a long time, or simply didn't have the type of enthusiastic attitude towards customers that Jimmy does. I hope after reading this review, the hotel can ask Jimmy to become a head-waiter or manager so he can train the rest of the serving staff to be as excellent as he is.

Overall this entire resort is excellent, but being served by Jimmy everyday at breakfast definitely made everyone start the day extra happy.

3 Thank ChairmanMaoXxX
raleigh
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We did not think we could have had an experience of a week of relaxation, great service, food service and quality that was like fine dinning. We returned to the real world on April 28th. This was by far the best all inclusive resort we have been to. The management should be commended on assembling a staff that is attentive, know their responsibilities, know how to treat the guests. I had the opportunity to meet the general manager and discuss the hotel and service with him. He and his staff are on site and visible. Turn down was done when we went to dinner, our floor's concierge(2) knew us and called us by name. The resort, is spotless. If you are planning a vacation to rest and relax, we say go to The Vine. We will go back. The Rest. made us an anniversary cake to our surprise. BMW

Room Tip: If you are picky, south rooms facing the pools are best. There are no bad rooms
4 Thank catsRaleigh