“Secrets The Vine, Cancun”

Secrets The Vine Cancun
Ranked #5 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Overall, Secrets The Vine was an amazing hotel. It has kind of a South Beach feel to it, but not overly contemporary.

Pool: The pool atmosphere was great, and we met a lot of fun people. I like to meet people, and my wife likes to sit and read. Both of these goals can be met due to the varying pool atmospheres available. Typically, when we go to Mexican Riviera resorts you have to get up at the crack of dawn to save chairs. This was not the case for us at Secrets. The only negatives for pool life was that there is no swim up bar, and the pool-side bar closes at 6 pm. I like the pool side bar/ocean side bar to be open through dinner.

Food: To me, the food in Mexico is always average. No matter where I have been (in the hotel or not), and I have been to Mexico at least 10 times. That being said, the food here was as good as any place I have eaten in Mexico.

Service: Amazing. I felt like whatever I asked for, I was accommodated. I'm sure that there was something that they would have said no to, but I didn't come across it.

Quarters: Our room was beautiful. We upgraded to the preferred level jr suite. While I liked the junior suite, I didn't see any value in being in the preferred level. There is a private pool for preferred guests, but I didn't spend one minute there, because it was too quite up there for me.

Beach: as always, it was great. It is Cancun, and I have yet to find a beach there that I didn't enjoy.

6  Thank Jeff A

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Pros :The hotel is stunning with beautiful finishes and design features.
The staff are amazing and attentive.
The restaurants are of exceptional standard and the buffet choice is fabulous.
Cons: The pool areas are noisy with showy 'spring-break' types getting drunk
The entertainment laid on by the team is pretty cheesy.
Hard sell on Secrets 'membership'
Yoga & pilates on the shadeless deck was very uncomfortable.
Small & packed beach area
Nowhere to retreat or relax (even the designated area in the Spa is noisy!)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LMandMM
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed at the Secrets the Vibe resort for 5 days for Valentines Day. The hotel is fairly new and has a W feel to it. The hotel itself is beautifully designed.

1) Food- Variety of Different restaurants – Italian, Asian, Mexican, steakhouse, Italian, Mediterranean. There is one restaurant closed per night and this alternates every day. I am a very picky eater and I would say that the food here was exceptionally good for all inclusive resort

2) Drinks- There was really nothing special about the drinks at this hotel. The drinks are similar to any other all-inclusive that one would encounter in Cancun. I was expecting much better drinks. Also, the selection of house red and white wine is absolutely terrible. This hotel really tried to UPSELL you on anything. An example would be purchasing a bottle of any kind of different wine such as Pinot Noir or Pinot Grigio.

3) Valentines Day- My fiancé had to pay for chocolate covered strawberries $20. At this hotel, wouldn't you expect they would leave some kind of chocolate for Valentines Day, NO. 3 roses were $50. I once stayed at an all inclusive at Riveria Maya and with turn down service, rose petals were left on the bed. Try to upsell you on everything.

4) Spa- It was ok. Been to better spas. My therapist was rushing; hence, my massage was a waste of $110.

5) Check In- The front desk receptionist at check in told us that there was only double beds that were available. He said that the king beds are not guaranteed in the reservation. After my fiancé argued with him for five minutes surprisingly there was a king size bed for us in our category. This was totally UNACCEPTABLE. We stayed in room 1007, deluxe ocean view with a view of the pool and partial view if the ocean.

Overall, $1000 for 5 nights per person for this hotel was way to much for what was offered. Better off going to St. Martin, Grand Cayman, Bermuda where the beach is nicer. The beach in Cancun is rough and there is practically no beach.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank TrishNYC11
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I booked a last minute trip to Secrets The Vine on cheapcarribean. We were met at the front door with champagne and an escort took us to our floor for a private check-in (comes with the "preferred" rooms). The concierge asked us if we wanted to upgrade from our preferred junior suite to a honeymoon ocean front suite for $35. My husband wanted to but I said no and then the concierge said he'd give us the room anyway. Our room was amazing. We had a corner room (2201) that overlooked the ocean and had a huge wraparound balcony with a big bathtub close to the edge of the glass doors. The tub was big enough for two people and my husband and I had a bath with the doors open overlooking the ocean- so beautiful and romantic.

The three pools are beautiful but, as other reviewers mentioned, it could be loud and was social. We were grateful to have the "preferred" room because we were able to go to the pool on the 12th floor, which was very quiet and didn't play music. Usually we would stay at the quiet pool until 4 and then head to the larger pool (and the hot tub) to meet people. The gym is also gorgeous- full glass walls overlooking the beach and resort pools.

The food was very good although sometimes we did have to wait a while for a table at dinner. Breakfast was great and had tons of options. The yogurt granola concoction was my favorite but the coffee, sausage, and scrambled eggs were very good. My husband made little crepes with nutella and hot peanut butter every morning- also great. We ended up eating a lot of protein and fruits during the trip- the Tbone at the Blue Water Grill was amazing. Portions are small (at least for the husband) so we frequently ordered 3-4 entrees for dinner for the two of us. Overall, we were very happy with the food. The nachos and some dishes weren't great but you can always order something else. We also went out to dinner one night (to meet friends not staying at the all-inclusive) and I ate a shrimp/lobster dish for $55 that was not nearly as good as at Secrets (luckily, we weren't the ones picking up the tab :)). The drinks were also very good. I tended to stick with the basic- mixed drinks, beer, and blended Pina Colada types.

The beach is beautiful and the decor of the resort is very nice- a lot like minimalist Miami. Some reviewers said that the resort was like Spring break. I completely disagree. I would say the average age is about 45 and although some couples loved to be rowdy, it is not the drunken hook-up, vomiting scene that usually characterizes spring break. It is very classy until about 11. After 11ish, it can be loud in the bars and there are people drinking and dancing and having a good time- is that such a crime?

Tips: The "preferred" rooms allow you access to a quiet pool, some free laundry services, a butler, some sunscreen, and access to a bar with nicer alcohol. Negotiate and upgrade on site. If you're on the fence about which rooms to book, prices are always much better if you wait until you are at the resort to upgrade- and they do want to make you happy.

Room Tip: Get a "preferred" room if you need a quiet pool, some free laundry services, a butler, som...
7  Thank Jordan E
SecretsTheVine, E-Concierge at Secrets The Vine Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Jordan E,

On behalf of Secrets the Vine Cancún Management and Staff we would like to thank you for choosing us for your romantic getaway and also taking the time to share with us your experience.

We are overjoyed to read you’re about your stay and to know that you found your suite assigned accommodating.

We are glad to know you enjoyed our Preferred facilities, our food at the restaurants, decor, beach and beverages were also of your liking.

We are grateful for your comments and look forward to celebrate another romantic stay with you.

Please feel free to contact us for anything you may need.

Warmest regards from your home in México,

Zuleica Ávila
Secrets The Vine Cancún|
E-Concierge & Social Media Coordinator
info.sevcu@secretsresorts.com

Reviewed February 20, 2013

My friends and I just recently returned from a stay at Secrets the Vine in Cancun. We had 3 rooms, so we feel we got a good chance to see what the overal quality of the rooms and help are. The rooms are very nice rooms, the only complaint I guess that I would have is that the doors are very heavy wooden doors, and the problem being with that is that, when they shut they slam shut really loudly. So after about 7 am in the morning you hear evey door shutting on the floor. The views are good from the rooms, depending on which side of the resort you are on. The pool side views are very good, the rest are what I would call average maybe, nothing to special. The food was better than what I was expecting, The only real complaint I guess that I have is the fact that you can't go to the buffet with out having a shirt with sleeves. I was turned away 3 mornings because I did not have sleeves, but the guy ahead of me had a old faded worn out T shirt on that looked like it had been washed 100 times, and rips in his shorts, he could go right in, but I couldn't go in because I had a new Under Armour shirt with no sleeves, and a new pair of under Armour shorts, and the gal behind me had a string bikinin top and cut off shorts on, but she could go in, seriously when your going to the pool in the morning generally you wear what your going swimming in, when you get up in the morning. They definately need to make a few changes to some other stupid rules too. But enough about that, The Help is very friendly, and out going for you, They have entertainment everynight which was very nice, and for the people who like Bud Light beer, they have that, a great surprise and bonus. The managment at the resort I think really needs to take a learning lesson from the people out working with all the guests through out the resort, because managment is really out of touch with the customer. I own a business and if I treated guests and ignorned resquests the way they do, I would be out of business in a hurry. It's the employees that make the place run. I would deffinately go back again even though of the above listed complaints. The air was out for a couple of days. I went to the front desk to talk to them about it, and they acted all surprised, took my room number down and said they would send somebody up. They had evey door open in the resort letting in air to try to keep it cool, but yet they gave us the surprised look. Poor managment, just admit to this. They also will try to get your every last dime from you they can at check in and check, I complained about the air being out and if we got any credit or discount for it, they acted like they didn't even hear me,,, like I said, managment is poor.

Room Tip: Get a room that is either truly ocean front, or poolside.
3  Thank Darwin R
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This property is located in the hotel district of Cancun. However, to get the hotel built in the amount of real estate that they had, the hotel has been built verticle to the beach. Thus leaving a very small beachfront, plus the noise, EVERY night from the Hard Rock Hotel next door, probably 200 feet away. The noisey parties are all held outdoors until 2:30am. The music is played at the maximum db that their equipment will allow. There 1/2 of the Secrets hotel gets the full sound blast of people and music. In addition, we were a party of 6 people. None of the restuarants in the hotel take reservations, and the restaurants only have a few tables that will seat more than 4 people. Our average wait was 1 hour for dinner. So if you go here, please be prepared to have dinner at 6:00pm. The average wait time for 2 people was 45 minutes. We were all on the special VIP section on the 26th floor. They were doing renovations on this brand new property with jack hammers 6 days a week from 9:00am until 8:00pm Monday through Saturday. So forget about visiting your room during this time period. Top management didn't seem to care whatsover!!! We even wrote to their management company, and still no response after 3 weeks. To make matters even worse, there are unsafe steps all over the place where you would never expect them to be. This entire propertyis an accident waiting to happen. The pool for the upscale rooms was extremely small and VERY winy as the design of this vertical to the beach/ocean acts like a wind tunnel. Plus, those steps are all around the pool, where one would not expect them to be. Plus they have built in concrete squares over water that you have to manuever through.

The only plus side is that the service throughout the property was very good, and the rooms are beautiful. But don't expect a vacation from this resort.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
11  Thank Les S
SecretsTheVine, E-Concierge at Secrets The Vine Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Dear Les S,

We thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments and experience related to your last stay at our resort. We are sad to hear that some of our services have not met your expectations. Would you mind to send us your contact information at info.sevcu@secretsresorts.com in order to follow up with you on your comment.

Zuleica Ávila
Secrets The Vine Cancún|
E-Concierge & Social Media Coordinator
info.sevcu@secretsresorts.com

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We traveled to Secrets with friends for a five day escape, and everything from our welcome cold towels and champagne to the service at the exceptional restaurants exceeded our expectations. The rooms were spacious and quiet, and the pools were very inviting. The staff went the extra mile at every opportunity. The "chef parade" was very entertaining, and a delicious early afternnon treat. We were most impressed with the waiters at Olio and Nebbiolo who were extremley attentive, especially Hector and Abraham. There was an air conditioning issue at Nebbiolo and Hector worked through the heat making sure we were happy with everything, with not a nothing but a positive attitude.

Room Tip: We did not upgrade, and I am not convinced the upgrade is necessary for an excellent experience.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends