“GORGEOUS super relaxing vacation :)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets The Vine Cancun

Secrets The Vine Cancun
Ranked #5 of 180 Hotels in Cancun
Flower Mound, Texas
“GORGEOUS super relaxing vacation :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was an even nicer and more upscale experience than we had hoped for! We stayed for four nights after Christmas. I adored most of the staff and loved being a "preferred" guest. It was always extremely clean and one of the best spas we have ever been to. The "complimentary" golf course ended up being pretty expensive with all the fees associated but it was totally worth it! It's the most beautiful course that we have ever seen! Don't forget to skip ice in your drinks though if your stomach isn't used to mexican water. We both got sick. :( Even with Montezuma's revenge, we both had one of our best vacations ever! One thing that was slightly disheartening is that we "won" a free full body massage on the stage by the big pool on our first night and then they tried to say it was just a 25 minute neck massage (which doesn't even include a spa entry!) It was frustrating to have to talk through, but they ended up making it right and the spa was gorgeous and that's what matters. If we ever go back, we will bring a serious noise maker as it was one of the most noisey hotels at night (because of the ultra contemporary design …..the hallways need rugs to absorb some noise.) The food at the resort was AMAZING! Our favorite was the italian restaurant. All in all, we LOVED our vacation and this resort is cream of the crop!

Room Tip: away from noisey doors to stairs for staff
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
8 Thank kacieGriff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,155)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I just returned from a solo five day trip to Secrets the Vine. Any apprehension I had traveling alone quickly disappeared as this place is incredible!

I knew in advance that this hotel was not going to be on a huge piece of property filled with lush vegetation and birds. I wanted something new and modern and this place didn’t disappoint!

I stayed in a regular deluxe room on the 16th floor. It was large, very clean and I loved the adjustments that could be made to the lighting. The beds and pillows were the best of any hotel I have ever stayed in. The fridge was restocked everyday with pop, beer and water. Turndown service was provided every evening. Special touches like chocolates and a daily schedule of activities were provided.

The staff were all exceptionally kind. They were polite, interested in getting to know you and were proud of their resort. All staff members worked incredibly hard and there was always someone available to assist you in whatever you wanted/needed. They really want you to have a great holiday! I received exemplary service from everyone at STV, but I’d like to mention a few who really stood out in my mind: housekeeping on the 16th floor; Gustavo (Market Café/Buffet); Manuel (Asian); Jesus (Market Café/Buffet); Valeria (Front Desk Check-in) and Blanca – pool server. Blanca is the best! She is so pleasant, offers great suggestions for drinks and always remembers what you are having. Thanks for providing such wonderful service!

As mentioned above, this hotel is new and modern. It is fresh and very clean looking. I loved the colour scheme all around the resort as well as their décor. The hallways can be loud, depending on where your room is situated or who your neighbours are. I requested and was granted a room further down the hallway. I didn’t find it bad at all but I imagine it could be annoying if your room was near the elevator or if you had inconsiderate neighbours.

The pool areas were beautiful. There were a number of different pools to choose from and there was no shortage of loungers. The loud techno music has gone (thank God!) and has been replaced with quieter, relaxing music. At different times of the day they change it up - during pool aerobics or when the staff breaks out in a dance for us. Should mention the pools were heated and were perfect for a quick dip after lying in the hot sun. The beach area of STV is small and compact. The surf was extremely rough. It was red flag days for each of the five days I was there. There are many lifeguards watching people in the ocean. More than once I saw them run into the water to provide assistance to someone who was struggling.

For me, part of a great vacation is great food. I loved the food here. There are a million choices and there is something for everyone. I ate at the Market Café every morning for breakfast. I was blown away by the variety and how fresh everything was. My favourites were the fresh juices and made to order crepes. I had a fantastic steak at the Blue Water Grill and good teppanyaki at the Asian restaurant. I ordered room service one evening and that was the only meal that I wasn’t really impressed with. The pool area has made to order food beginning at 12:00 p.m. (Barefoot Grill) and also a sit down restaurant. The food at both places was really good and fresh. The salsa and chips were to die for! For you coffee drinkers (I am not one), there is a coffee bar in the lobby area. They offered a variety of coffees which I heard were really good. They also had snacks like muffins, cookies and sandwiches which was perfect for between meals.

The people at this resort were friendly and outgoing. The majority were also polite and respectful to staff members. There was a pretty big range of ages, but I think most were between 30 to 50. Most traveled as couples although I did see groups of friends and met other solo travelers. This generally isn’t a huge party type place, although people were definitely having a good time. I met some wonderful people and wouldn’t hesitate to travel back here again solo.

My five days in Cancun was a great reprieve from the miserable weather here at home. I had a fantastic holiday and didn't want to leave STV. I highly recommend this resort to others and would return in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Request a room on the Sandos side, further down the hallway if you are sensitive to noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank luvtotravel1972
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Unlimited Luxury is exactly what you get. The attention to the smallest detail is Amazing. From the flavorful wide variety of menu & drink options to the baby powder scented toilet paper, Secrets have thought of everything. The staff is very attentive, engaging & courteous. "My Pleasure" is a daily part of the staff's vocabulary. This was my 1st time staying at a Secrets Resort, now, I want to visit all of them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank l b
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for New Years and found secrets the vine to be excellent. Food was great and service exceptionally good. We would highly recommend and would love to return. Great bars, choice of restaurants was superb and breakfast buffet delish. Volleyball on the beach was great fun and the room on the preferred club level was amazing, housekeeping unbelievable. New Year's Eve was a little bit of a hassle with getting into a restaurant but understand that it was a very busy night.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dugsurfs
Brockville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I totally agree with Randy E about doing your homework...We did and knew that we were going to a new, modern resort that was receiving high praise for customer service,and great food. Fortunately that is what we got! I am not going to name names of staff as 99% were eager to please.We travelled the week before Christmas and it was at 46% occupancy rate..so pools were never full, no wait at the restaurants and a very reasonable cost for the week. The highlights for my daughter and I were the gym with the incredible view ,spacious junior suite with incredible view of ocean and lagoon..wide selection of restaurants. In regards to complaints re: light switches..too hot in the gym,,,,loud music....no privacy on the balcony...management is addressing them in a speedy fashion(the week we were there...NONE of these things were worth noting).If you are considering booking, research what you are looking for...we did and were 100% happy with Secrets The Vine.

Room Tip: Preferred level was worth it for us. We enjoyed the roof top pool, Pringles and M&Ms in the room...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank thriftylil
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Very modern decor. Food ok- pretty much what you would expect from an all inclusive. The breakfast buffet was very good consistently. Liked Sea Salt for lunch. Would recommend upgrading to preferred floors. Excellent service, security and nicer rooms. They need to put hooks up for bathrobes. The room lighting was ridiculous to figure out. Nothing like waking up your partner at 3 am because you hit the wrong button by the bathroom and all the lights in the room go blazing! We got completely screwed on New Years Eve. No one told us that on this one particular night only 3 restaurants would be open and you needed to make a reservation. Ended up having dinner at a bar hanging off bar stools. Service excellent throughout- employees seem genuinely happy to be working there and appreciative of their guests.The pools are very nice and well heated. No need to do the early morning chair saving- plenty of them even during the busiest week of the year when we were there. My biggest complaint is the very crappy wine they serve - I know they want you to buy bottles but the cheapest were 60 bucks- that's ridiculous to have to do every night. Overall nice experience though.

Room Tip: You can negotiate at the front desk for the preferred rooms. Worth about $50 upcharge per night. Wel...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DianeG L
Milwaukee, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My #1 suggestion is do your homework so you’re not disappointed. STV is a Great, New, Modern, Condo style, South Beach-like Resort with a Great Vibe. If that’s what you’re looking for you will not be disappointed. It doesn’t have a large sprawling footprint with tons of tropical foliage.

Here’s what it does have…

• Great Rooms: I did not take the preferred level and had the standard Ocean view King Bed room. It had a great shower, double sinks, outlets at each side of the bed, incents to burn, safe, flat screen tv, ipod docking alarm clock with good speakers and balcony.
• Pools: 3 pools at the beach level and one preferred pool on the 12th floor. I hung out at the main pools at the beach level – extremely fun with good people. I like to people watch & it was great for that. Bars and Food choices were plentiful – get the flank steak tacos grilled for you while you wait connected to the mail pool bar – yum!
• Food: I especially was blown away by the Breakfast Buffet serving until 11am each day. All the dinner options were good. I liked Blue Water the best. I think in general you need to manage your dinner expectations at any all inclusive – it’s just not going to the same as your favorite place back home where you spend $100 or more per person.
• Gym: They do now have shades for the hot windows facing the cardio equipment but it is still pretty warm in the morning. Having said that, this is the best Resort Gym Ever. It’s much bigger than the usual closet gym most have plus they have state of the art equipment, free weights, and cardio.

As you can tell, I highly recommend STV. I hope you enjoy as much as I did. Btw, I was solo on this trip and felt comfortable among the clientele. Of course it was mostly couples however there were some girl groups as well as a handful of other solo travelers. Wide range of all ages.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo