“Awesome...and”

Secrets The Vine Cancun
Ranked #6 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We visited Secrets the Vine for an 8 night vacation on November 16. My review will not repeat many of the comments previously mentioned but try to add to your knowledge about this property. I am comparing this property to Secrets Maroma Beach, Silversands and the two Excellence resorts in the Cancun area. Due to the fact this hotel is located downtown, the property has more of a "hotel" feel. It is beautifully designed but compacted into a small area. The rooms are the best we have stayed in and the beds are comfortable. The atmosphere in the restaurants are elegant and beautiful. The food is good but remember its an all inclusive resort so try different items until you find what you like best. The sushi at Dragons was our favorite. My largest disappointment was that the resort did not have Captain Morgan. The other Secrets properties did. The resort also does not have a theater, all shows take place next to the pool and the seating only includes pool chairs. Take advantage of the live music next to the pool at 3:30 on select days and the daily visit by the resort chefs, who bring you appetizers at 1:00 each day. If you are a sports fan, the resort has a great sports bar complete with a full "bar food" menu. The resort has an awesome gym on the 12th floor complete with an oceanfront view. They provide stretching/yoga and spinning classes daily. If you like to walk on the beach, you can walk for miles in both directions from the resort.

Room Tip: We had a Preferred Club room. However, other than having our room on a higher floor and a slightly l...
4  Thank 2witravelers

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We spent 7 days at Secrets from 11/17-11/24. It was one of the best trips we have taken. Can I say that everything was absolutely perfect? No but there is nowhere that is but Secrets came close.

Hotel: The hotel is beautiful. It is so clean and everything of course in new. My husband and I were amazed at how many different staff members they have working to keep the place clean. There is one person who cleans a strip of wood floor in the lobby all day. That's all he does! It is crazy. The hotel grounds are smaller than other resorts but we quite liked this, as we wanted to get to the pool, bars and restaurants quickly.

Pools: There are three pools. They were never overly crowded. The infinity pools was the warmest but they were all heated. Started out cooler in the mornings but were very, very warm by the afternoons. The hot tub varied in temp as well, depending on time of day. But was enjoyable at all times.

Rooms: We loved the rooms. The beds were so soft and comfortable. The shower was amazing with two shower heads, one standard and one from the ceiling. There were also two vanities and a separate glass enclosure for the toilet. Although the shower and toilet area are glass, you could not see in because of the etching on the glass. For those who worry about privacy, we didn't find it an issue. I couldn't hear anything from the toilet area from the bed and you easily could change in the toilet area as there is shelving in there.

Toiletries: I loved the toiletries and they were 3 times the size of most hotels. I didn't even use my shampoo, conditioner or body wash.

Lights: The lights are a bit quirky and take some getting used to. Something I figured out was rather than trying to turn on the lights to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and risk turning them all on, I would just open the closet door. The lights in there are automatic and provided just enough light to see. Also, be careful of opening the hallway door at night because there are motion sensors. So if someone is sleeping and not moving and you enter the room, all the lights will turn on.

Room Location: We started on the Sandos side in the middle. We figured it would be quieter on this side. Although we did not hear music, we could hear a generator from Sandos. Now some people might not notice but it drove me crazy. So on the second day we moved to the Hard Rock side. Now, there is loud music coming from Hard Rock and the pool during the day but we were able to still nap through it. We didn't hear anything after 11pm and slept with our sliding doors open every night. The sound of the ocean waves were amazing!

Hallway noise: Yes you can hear people in the halls and doors slamming. People are just very inconsiderate. We always closed our door and didn't talk if it was early in the morning or late at night. Please be considerate of others. Your best bet is try to get a low number room or high number which are at the end of the halls. We were in 1905 and it wasn't bad. Plus we had the ocean waves to drown out the noise.

Bars: There were plenty of bars by the pools, one on the beach and several inside. We never had a problem getting a drink. There are also waiters walking around the pool and beach area to bring you whatever you would like. We found them to be timely as well.

Restaurants: All of the restaurants were very good. Although I am not much of a foodie and like your basic foods, I found something in each restaurant I liked. The food is what I like to call "Fancy" with different combinations than I am used to and smaller portions. We typically ordered multiple items from the menu.

Staff: Nearly every staff member will go out of their way to help. You would get one or two who weren't as enthusiastic as the others but again where do you get 100% perfection anywhere.

All in all this was our favorite vacation. Remember.. it's up to you how much you enjoy your vacation and how much you let little things get to you. Nowhere is perfect but Secrets comes pretty darn close!

Room Tip: Sandos side may be quieter if you don't like loud music during the day. Rooms with lower or high...
4  Thank Rachel U
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I where here from oct29th to nov 8th for our honeymoon and loved every minute of it we cannot wait to go back the room was stunning with plenty of room staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for you. The entertainment staff were always around and provided a variation of entertainment by the pool and in the evening Bethany especially was very helpful and friendly. The only thing we would recommend is having a regulator in the pools as they were cold. Would definitely recommend secrets the vines

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Angharad W
Reviewed November 24, 2012

As having traveled to all-inclusives in the Caribbean once or twice a year, I can say that this is definitely in our top 5 resorts. Our stay was 11/4 – 11/11. Upon arrival were the cold towels and drink waiting for us. We were shown around the lobby and where the restaurants, gift shop and bars were. We were then taken to the 21st floor - Preferred Guest Area, to check in. We were told the room was not ready and to come back at 3:00. We came back at 3:00 and were again asked to come back at 3:30, when our room was actually ready.

We had room 2112 which had a great view of the beach and the lagoon. The room was large, ultra-modern and clean. Huge shower, enough counter space, very comfy bed and amble closet space. Arturo showed us in and explained every little detail. How the lights worked and how we had free landline phone calls, free pressing/ironing of clothes, unpacking/packing services and the minibar. He said he was not our butler, but Jonathan was and he would be introducing himself later. (He never did, but we really had no reason to need him.) We had a mini bar with Corona, water, juice, small bottle of vodka, rum and Jim Beam. Pringles and M & M’s were also in the room. Our housekeeper, Maria, was always consistent, coming early to clean, replacing everything daily. Nightly turndown was also done on a consistent basis, leaving robes and slippers beside your bed, along with water, glass, chocolates and the next day’s newsletter. The hall ways were a little loud. One suggestion would be to have some quieter closing mechanism on the door, so it would not echo as loud when the doors closed. During our stay they did install a small shelf in the shower so you could put your toiletries on. Yes, if privacy is an issue, you may not like the balcony. We only encountered our neighbors a couple of times, but it was no big deal for us. WiFi was a little spotty, but who wants to be on-line constantly while on vacation?

The Preferred Guest had access to Grey Goose/Kettle One. Everywhere else you could have Absolute. I drink vodka, so I’m not sure of the other upgraded alcohol there was. You had access to the infinity pool, which was very relaxing. There was also a room set up for coffee/tea, fruit pastries, in the a.m. and snacks in the afternoon. A special small bar was set up with top shelf alcohol. Nice to stop there on the way back to the room or when leaving for the evening. It is nice that there is a separate elevator bank just for the 21st floor and up, so you do not have to wait too long.

Every morning we would head out to the gym. Well equipped with a gorgeous view on the 12th floor. It seemed to have just enough equipment, so you were not waiting. Be forewarned that all the cardio equipment is along the window so you can see the view, but it also got very hot from the sun. Maybe some extra darkening film would help? They have cold towels and water – regular and flavored.

We tend to be beach people, since I can get to a pool anytime. The beach was beautiful. Plenty of chairs and towels. There are also umbrellas available if you ask. I did notice a number of guests who had the poor staff running around getting them chairs/umbrellas and didn’t even tip! Shame on you. There are vendors on the beach, but a simple ‘no thank you’ and they leave you alone. I did purchase a nice necklace for $25, that I knew would have been twice that in a shop. The water was a comfortable temperature but the waves/current were strong. If you go out a little way you can find conch shells in perfect shape. The 3 pool areas seem to get taken early and were always a bit crowded (we were told the resort was 87% occupied). You know the ones that come out at 6:00 a.m. and don’t show until noon. We did mention this to staff and they said they would talk to management about it. You seem to be trying to ‘chase the sun’ around 3:00, due to the high buildings blocking it. But by that time, you really needed to get out of the sun after being in it all day.

There were some activities going on by the pool, but we never personally met any of the entertainment staff. By the reviews you know about the waiters that come out at 1:00, which was a nice touch. There was a wine tasting at 3:00 daily, by Eric, who was very knowledgeable and friendly. They also had tequila tasting a couple days at noon. A kitchen tour was given a couple days as well at 4:00. Antonio the chef, gave the tour which was very interesting to see how large this 1 out of 7 kitchens were – not to mention the cleanliness. Be sure to read the daily newsletter, so you know what is going on. Evening activities started around 8:30ish. One night we really enjoyed was “Casino Night”. Played with fake money and participated in an auction for bottled alcohol, etc. I wish they had ‘dancing’ activities in the evening, since this is an adult/couples resort. However the piano bar did have entertainment starting around 11:00. So for us that was a little late in the evening. After getting up early to work out and enjoy the daylight (which it only lasted until around 5:00), we were going back to the room around 10:30.

We only had breakfast once, on our last day. It was very good with a lot of variety. Lunch at the buffet is good and varied. The ceviche is to die for. However, the service there is spotty. More times than not we had to hunt down someone for water or just go get it ourselves. Restaurants for dinner were all good. Seems that if you got there between 6:00 – 7:00 there was no wait, if not only a few minutes. Funny depending upon who you got as a waiter, the difference in the service was amazing. At Nebbiolo it took over 2 ½ hours for dinner. We decided to give it another shot and it was much better. Olio, Mexican Cafe and Blue Water were good as well. We weren’t too crazy for the Dragon, I guess because we are sushi snobs. The Half Time bar was great to catch the games, with many flat screens, you were sure to find the game you wanted. If it wasn’t playing, just ask and they will accommodate. We only tried the Sea Salt for lunch. Tried going on Friday and Saturday and it was closed both days. I also know that Nebbiolo is closed on Mondays. Not sure about the others.

They did have a manager’s cocktail party on Wednesday, at 6:00 pm. Introductions of all managers were made and they mingled with the guests. We did mention to the spa manager that we wished they had blue cheese stuffed olives for our martini. He brought over the beverage manager who said they would have them for us that night at the piano bar. We went and they indeed had a cup full of them. It was funny since I’ve never seen such small olives stuffed! But it just goes to show you that they are willing to do anything to make your stay enjoyable. All you have to do is speak up and be nice about it. The customer service here is amazing.

I tried the neck, shoulder and back massage. Nice and relaxing. Although I heard from other people that they got to relax afterwards with a warm towel and use the facilities, I was taken back to the locker to dress. I used the $40 resort credit for the 50 minute session, costing $89. The resort credits are not really much, since you can not combine any of them.

As for those reviews who say it felt more like Vegas than the Caribbean, obviously haven’t been to Cancun. Cancun always has had the high-rise look and feel. Go further south if you want the ‘garden’ atmosphere. I will say that there was never a moment where you do not see someone cleaning or washing windows. All staff from maintenance up to the Property Manager was always smiling and asking if you needed any assistance. We did notice that there was a lack of handrails on the property. A little difficult in high heels. No place will be absolutely perfect for everyone. But for our tastes, we enjoyed our week and would recommend the resort.

5  Thank ltritz
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Secrets The Vine was more than we expected. The staff really knows how to make you feel "first class". From the time you walk in the resort to be welcomed with a glass of champagne and then taken to your floor for a special check in if you are staying in a Preferred Room, you are treated with the utmost service. The option to have your butler unpack if you want or iron your clothes if you need was great. The staff was very accommodating to make sure they can assist in making your stay as comfortable as possible. If you want great service this is the place to get it. This was the most hospitality I have experienced at any Resort I have been to. I would recommend this Resort to anyone looking forward to a fun and relaxing and pampering time. Experience it for yourself! I didn't experience any major problems. However, it is a new Resort and they still have a few kinks to work out. If you experience any problems or concerns they are more than willing to resolve them immediately.

Room Tip: We stayed in the middle of the 26th floor in a Preferred Room and it was quiet. We had a view where...
3  Thank DebraTaHu
Reviewed November 23, 2012

To begin with I've rated the hotel very good as it is better than average but I felt it was really between the two.
We were so looking forward to STV after changing our reservation from the Sun Palace. The building is extremely beautiful but too much appears to have been squeezed into a small place.

We enjoyed most of the food, the buffets being exceptional,but found the service in the a la carte restaurants a real hit or miss. We waited an hour to be seated in Dragons after being told there would be a 25 min wait. To go to another choice might have meant another wait. The restaurant was incidentally half empty when we were eventually seated.A young waiter named
Jesus in Nebbilio was the exception to our inconsistent service in the restaurants. He qqwas personable, attentive and did not try and push the over priced wines. Incidentally, because he did not shove the wine list in our face as soon as we sat down it was the only night we purchased a bottle of wine from the list- a nice bottle of Cloudy Bay.

Noise from endless loud music and inconsiderate ( inebriated ) guests was a real problem. For example: a group of women thought it was appropriate to play their own loud music whilst most guests were enjoying a quiet relaxing time at the Preferred pool one afternoon.The same afternoon a guest just flicked her cigarette ash into the pool! Possibly, because the hotel has great offers at the moment it may be attracting guests who would not usually holiday in a hotel of this level.

The room was lovely - Preferred Junior Suite with excellent room service provided and views to die for.
It just wasn't for us, too noisy with loud inconsiderate guests, varying service in restaurants and not enough personal space around the pools or beach.

We spent our 2nd week at the Cozumel Palace which was a much more relaxing experience with wonderful service and a completely different calibre of guest.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor for the view and at least a junior suite to have lots of space.
7  Thank portygirl
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I will start off with what I perceive to be 2 important items: this was our first all-inclusive vacation (which we booked through a travel agent) and we had a wedding at the resort.

That being said, it was a phenomenal experience - in total, 17 guests of the wedding also stayed at the resort (out of 21) and I believe everyone has great things to say about the place. Many people in our party tipped a dollar or two (US) every other drink - and we also tipped a few dollars at every meal. It's not required, but it was just something we all agreed felt right.

The service was great - expect long wait times at the restaurants for dinner and at Sea Salt Grill. I'm not sure if it's because the restaurant is trying to create a laid back ambiance - but really, what do you have to rush off to anyway?

The food was good - we ate at Nebbiolo (Italian) and Backwater Grill (Steakhouse style) for dinner. We never ate at Dragons or Olio (just out of personal preference) but our other wedding guests really enjoyed both. Sea Salt was good for lunch when you got sick of the buffet (during a 10 day visit, it was possible). The buffet choices for breakfast are varied, and everyone was able to find something they liked. It took me about 4 days to realize I could order Mimosas!!

The rooms - this is where we REALLY give top stars. We stayed in the Master Suite Ocean View - beautiful wrap around balcony, phenomenal amenities and a GIANT room. Room service and Turndown service were great. The only thing I was slightly annoyed by was that we never received a special "honeymoon" turndown service (with the rose petals, etc.) - but it isn't really a deal breaker for me.

The spa - OH. MY. GOODNESS. We received a massage as part of our wedding package - there was a hydrotherapy treatment with Sauna, Steam Room and Jacuzzi that was great. Warning - the bathrobes only seem to come in one size at this resort. A few of the men that were at the spa (including my husband) were uncomfortable with how short the robes were (so just be aware guys!). Paula did my hair & makeup for my wedding - and I receive compliments on her work whenever anyone looks at pictures. She was also my masseuse and did a great job. The resort will have a daily deal which makes the spa price a little more bearable - but the prices seem justified for me based on the services received.

The entertainment - ok so we were at the resort for 10 days - a few days prior to our wedding. From my perspective, most resort/cruise ship entertainment is a little cheesy (personally I think it caters to a 50+ crowd). This resort was no exception. On top of that, we arrived on a Wednesday and left the following Saturday - the entertainment repeated itself after Wednesday (i.e. all of our guests attended a Cuban dance show the Friday they arrived, on our honeymoon, we were the only ones left at the resort... along with the Cuban dance show.)

I read some complaints about the noise - It didn't really bother me and we were on the pool side. There was one night when we stayed in and ordered room service and I kind of wish that the music was not so loud, but it ended early so it didn't really matter.

I was SUPER paranoid when I read reviews about thin walls - I will say we heard ONE couple in 10 days... enjoying their stay. Other than that, I didn't hear anything - however, our room was at the end of the hall and there were 2 doors to the room so not sure if the extra little hallway we had made a difference.

The t.v. is sporadic, but there were U.S. shows. The sports bar had NFL Sunday Ticket. The WiFi in public areas was good, in our room we had to sit in a certain place for full bars.

Weddings - It took a leap of faith for me to choose this location for my destination wedding, as the resort actually wasn't even completed when I booked. The wedding coordinator (Yamina) made me feel completely at ease. I literally asked every question under the sun, and she got me an answer. The day of the wedding, everything went off without a hitch. I literally was just sitting in my room with nothing to do but relax. It was a phenomenal wedding experience and I don't have any complaints about it!! (The surf and dinner was a hit amongst the dinner guests :))

Overall - we really enjoyed the Unlimited all-inclusive luxury of this resort. It is truly a beautiful resort and the staff was great! We cannot say enough good things!

Room Tip: Low room #'s (ending in 00-05) and high room #'s (high 20's) are at opposite ends of the...
6  Thank Alicia R