“Wonderful modern 1st class hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets The Vine Cancun

Secrets The Vine Cancun
Ranked #5 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Chicago
“Wonderful modern 1st class hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at Secrets the Vine in early October 2012 and had a wonderful time. As many have said on the forum the resort operates as its been open for several years and not just a couple of weeks. I have stayed at LeBlanc, various Palace Hotels, and Sandals. This was my first Secrets experience and I would definitely come back.

Arrival - Wonderful
Upon arrival we were greeted by name by hotel staff with a glass of champagne and introduced to Rafael who did a wonderful job of giving us a touring and letting us know about the hotels services and amenities. We were then escorted to the 21st floor Preferred Lounge and introduced to Maura. Check-in was a breeze and our room was ready early as we arrived around 2pm. The lounge is a small area with some canapés, wine, bar and coffee/tea service. People tend to congregate at the Lounge when it rains or later in the day. We where then escorted to our room by Daniel our Butler who gave us a tour of the room and showed us how to use the lighting system. In addition, he briefed us on Butler services such as free ironing and unpacking of luggage. We ended up not using either but did request from the pillow menu.

Pre-Arrival - Zuleica is wonderful
We had a couple of questions and requests prior to arrival and Zuleica was amazing in getting back to us and answering any questions. In addition her Facebook page provided additional information to help us prepare for the trip.

Room - Amazing
We stayed in room 2532 - a Master Suite. The room is beautiful and a technological marvel. The lighting system is great but takes some getting used to. I love that the rooms have real ceiling lights and not just lamps - it makes a huge difference. The bed is very comfortable. Its a firm pillow top mattress which provides great support without being hard. We requested tempurpedic pillows which were also very comfortable. The only minor issues have been discussed before and I am sure will be eventually resolved. The shower caddy in the main shower is awkward and should be fixed before it causes damage to the shower controls. And there is no full-length mirror - even in the Master Suite. I think these might not have arrived as the renderings show a mirror. While we were there they installed the circular coach in the bedroom, which makes me think the mirrors might be on there way eventually. The Master Suite and Suites ending in 30 on each floor benefit from a double entry door which basically ensures you do not hear any noise in the hallway.

Pools/Beach
We basically tried out each pool and the beach area. Service by all of the pools was wonderful. In the main area Alejandro and Cesar were wonderful serving us near the activity pool and by the long terrace pool. We always found loungers without a problem and you can have as many towels as you want. Also I did not see the issue of empty loungers being held by guests who never show up. Pool staff will help you set up an umbrella if you want one. By the beach they will help you set up your lounger in the area of your choice. I found the drink service not as good by the beach because it was understaffed relative to the pool area. While we were there the beach was VERY popular - more so than the pool area. The beach was generally clean and beautiful. There is a sandbar in front of the property that is not as prominent relative to Sandos. Also I was not a fan of the beach loungers - they are somewhat narrow and the arms stick up on the side. I am not a big person but they make you feel claustrophobic and since I am clumsy I hit myself against the arms. This is probably my only real complaint - I wish they had plush loungers available similar to the ones at Sun Palace. We also checked out the Preferred Pool, which is very nice but can get crowded. Cesar at the Preferred Pool provides wonderful butler service and ensures that only Preferred guests are using the pool in a nice and subtle way.

Restaurants/Bars
The food is generally very good, especially the sea food. Occasionally you will order something and it is different from what you expected. Just remember that you are in a foreign country and be a little adventurous. We went to Market Cafe for breakfast and had room service for breakfast and both were yummy. We went to Market Cafe and Seaside Grill for lunch. Seaside was our favorite. While we were there Olio was not serving a la carte but grill style which I imagine is more popular. For dinner we went to Nebbiolo (twice), Blue Water, and Olio. We tried to check out Market Cafe but one night it had been converted into a buffet and the other it was closed. Olio was a very nice outdoor setting but because it rained a lot while we were there it was practically empty. We also watched a game at HalfTime, which could get very lively at night. There are so many bars at the hotel you would have to make a deliberate effort to visit all of them. Generally the drinks are good and the glasses are very nice at the beach/pool and not the cheap small ones at many AIs. I only drank white wine as I am very picky when it comes to reds. I found the whites to be nice for dinner or just a drink at the bar.

Preferred vs Non Preferred
We stay in the Preferred Club because at the time of the reservation we thought free internet was available only to Preferred Guests. Internet is free for every guest but we still enjoyed the Preferred Club amenities (higher room floors, easy check-in, access to the butlers). Throughout our trip Vanessa, one of our butlers, consistently asked if we needed anything and if we needed help packing. I would recommend the Preferred Club if the
difference is less than $25/night. Otherwise it probably is not worth it.

Other
The gym is very nice and modern and I loved going to the 12th floor as it smelled great (reminded me of LeBlanc). We did not use the spa but I am sure it would have been lovely.
And like many posts I fell in love with the Coffee Bar in the lobby. They will make the drinks using soymilk, which is wonderful for us non-milk drinkers. The cappuccinos were perfect –definitely better than Starbucks. Also as a quick update the cracks in the Hotel's curtain wall on the lobby area where all being replaced while we were there. So this should not impact future travelers.

If you are considering the Vine it is probably one of the best AIs on the Cancun Hotel Strip. If you are looking for a more tropical resort go to one of the other Secrets Resorts. The Vine is much more of a hip and modern hotel with great amenities but not the space/foliage you will expect from the resorts south of Cancun.

Room Tip: Master Suites are worth the splurge!
9 Thank Beachmonger10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,111)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a 10 night stay at secrets the vine. This is a new adults only hotel which has a preferred club section. We were allocated room 2437 in the preferred club section, the room was amazing with views across the caribbean on one side and the lagoon on the other side.
Rooms.
large comfy bed, flat screen t.v. wi.fi, remote lighting, his and hers sinks and an 8ft x 4ft shower, mini bar stocked daily with beers juices and shorts. Balcony had comfy furniture, daily maid and butler service a big thank you to ceasar for all his help nothing was to much trouble.
Restaurants
Nebbilio italian
This restaurant was fantastic, good selection of food and wine with a nice salad bar. The staff are extremely friendly and cant do enough for you.
Bluewater steak and grill
This restaurant was also fantastic with the best steaks I have ever had, the staff here were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them.
Olio Restaurant
This restaurant is outside on the preferred club floor I can not comment on the food at this restaurant as we did not get the chance to eat here. every time we were going to eat here it rained and there was no shelter. The barman at olio (armando) was the most friendly and informative.
The Market Cafe
We ate here every morning for breakfast, the choices were plentiful with choices to suit all. (you couldn't go hungry) We would like to say a big thank you to Itzel who looked after us most mornings, she could not do enough for you and had a great personality always smiling. All the staff in this restaurant were friendly but too many to mention.
Sea Salt
This restaurant was the only let down for us, The staff were miserable apart from the young girl who showed us to our table, poor food which took 2 hours for a starter and main course, we did not bother to wait for a desert.
All the bars were good and the coffee bar in the lobby was very nice as were the staff.
This hotel has amazing staff with the exception of our experience in sea salt (maybe just a bad day for them). The hotel has a few issues to resolve like maybe covering some of the outside bars. The managers did seem to care about your thoughts and I hope they take on board some of the suggestions that guest made at the managers meeting. I would recommend this hotel and I hope the standard of service continues.

5 Thank mettyEngland
Westchester, N.Y
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My partner and I stayed at this beautiful resort from 10/11/12-10/14/12 we were their to celebrate our birthday. The resort is gorgeous even there are some minor issues management have to look into like the noise coming from the hallway in the morning and at night from the guest going to there room because the floor is tile so it's very hard not too make noise if you are wearing high heels. They should have a lounge chair on the balcony and privacy is a major issue on the balcony,they have these metal bars for decoration is nice but this is a couples resort you shouldn't be feeling uncomfortable cause your neighbor might see kiss your spouse. The workers are exceptional Martin in the Market Cafe is exceptional please go ask to sit in his area. The room was gorgeous we stayed in preferred room 2203 we had a view of the ocean and the lagoon, next time I will book an ocean those room are amazing I got a chance to see one cause I wanted an upgrade but they were asking an additional $1300.00 on top of what I already paid. I suggest you book with your travel agent not the hotel. Alan is the man you want to get in contact with from the entertainment team. Don't go to Coco bongo unless you don't value your safety it's a fire TRAP only 1exit.

Room Tip: Get an ocean front room the view is exceptional. I don't it's worth paying extra for a preff...
1 Thank michousb
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Let's just start by saying... AWESOME!! We chose this resort because it was new and we were not disappointed. From the very first 'Welcome Home' to the 'Hurry Back' as we boarded our shuttle back to the airport, the entire stay was simply AWESOME!

Upon arrival, we were greeted with a hearty 'welcome home', given a delightfully fragrant cool towel and a glass of champagne. Check in was quick and efficient. We were given a tour of the hotel and escorted to our room. The rooms are abosolutely amazing. From our room we had an wonderful view of the ocean and the bay. The beds are very comfortable, the rooms are furnished with plenty of towels and full size toiletries. This was great, considering I'd left my shampoo and conditioner at home. There is plenty of closet space in the room and lots of drawers for storage. Also, the umbrella in the closet was a neat touch, and came in handy one day during our stay. One thing I will mention, there is little privacy on the balcony. There is only a decorative glass panel seperating you from your neighbor.

The restaurants at this property are the BEST! What I like most... there is no reservations required! I love this, so we were not confined to eating at a certain time or trying to rush to get to dinner or kill time until dinner. We would just show up when we were hungry and we were always promptly shown to our seat. We ate at Sea Salt for lunch several times and each dish we tried was very tasty. My favorite was the seafood ceviche, it is an appetizer but it was definitely the reason I kept going back. Also, our waiter Oscar was very friendly. Yes, we ate there enough to get to know the waitstaff. For dinner, we ate at the Blue Water, the Italian restaurant and the Japanese restaurant. All three were top notch. We also spent a fair amount of time in the sports bar, catching up on football. Yes, guys.. there is really a sports bar at this resort. A real, multi-screen, full service bar, pool table and all sports bar.

The pools and beach were wonderful. There are 3 open to everyone pools on the property. Each pool conveniently located near a bar. The pools were never crowded and always clean. The beach was clean and the water is beautiful. The bluest of blue.

You can't go wrong staying at this hotel. The staff is super friend, the entertainment crew was great. Hey Alan! Thanks for the Spanish lessons. The daily wine and tequila tastings were educational and tasty. There is a great deal of entertainment variety right on the property.

The resort is conveniently located in the Hotel zone. A quick bus ride or cab ride to the club area where you can party at Coco Bongo and the many other clubs in the area. The city bus picks up very close to the hotel and is a very viable option for travelling around Cancun.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank InfiniteDiva
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Let me first start off by saying that we are not easy people to please but this place has blown us away... This is the 2nd day that we are here and every day we are saying that this is the nicest place we have been to( and we have tried quite a few in the Caribbean). Food is absolutely amazing, rooms are beautiful, the beach is the nicest I have seen ( white sand and turquoise water). I would come back and recommend it to anyone. It does have a few negatives such as pools are cold but ocean is extremely warm and inviting even with being A Bit rough ( few waves here and there). Also, at night, you can definitely hear the neighbors coming back to their rooms ( the sound travels through). Other than that, it's the nicest resort and if you are of the fence- definitely try it out, you will not be sorry!

• 3 of 5 stars
10 Thank Lijas25
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at excellence cancun, sun palace, le blanc and secrets maroma.

Resort had been open for approximately 1 month prior to out arrival so im assuming some negatives will improve .
We paid £170 per a night for standard room ( great price) and my 4 star review is based on this . I guess these introductory room rates will not last . If secrets the vine was priced the same as secrets maroma or le blanc - I would recommend going to these 2 over the vine .

If you are a pool person - the atmosphere here is energetic / busy rather then romantic and secluded

Highlights
. Food was amazing ! This is the main reason I would go back
. Loved the sea view and large balcony-
. Fantastic room service
. Been able to position sun loungers right by the ocean with a decent amount of space between people
. Staff/ service - friendly
. Great entertainment , loved opera singer, Zumba by the pool, magician.
. Lovely gym with a view

Negatives
Rooms
. Standard rooms do not have a bath or jacuzzi
. bed linin not the same quality as secrets maroma
. Curtains not long enough, light comes through in the morning
. No full length mirror
. Noise travels into rooms

Beach
. Small and Sand rather coarse compared to the other resorts in Mexico that we stayed at

Pool area
. Lack of shaded areas - would have been nice to eat outside but in the shade
. resort was only at 30% occupency - at 80- 100 it would be crowded with occupied sum loungers almost on top of each other

Staff Training
. Staff gave incorrect info rather then saying that they did not know and would find out
. Turn down service - tool all our towels without replacing them
. Drinks made completely differently at different bars

• Stayed September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank bronwynLondon
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My wife and I just got back from Secrets The Vine, we celebrated our third anniversary. We stayed for 5 nights in an Ocean front honeymoon suite. One word: AMAZING. Trust me, if you're thinking about booking.. book it. If you've already booked and may have any doubts or worries.. don't. This hotel is BEAUTIFUL, the service is TOP NOTCH, the people are THERE TO ENSURE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'RE ROYALTY, ...the beach is GORGEOUS, and the food is BEYOND DELICOUS. I most definitely highly recommend this resort. The first Secrets we stayed at was Wild Orchid in Jamaica three months after they opened. I was impressed then and I was even more impressed with The Vine.

8 Thank vpersad