“Secrets The Vine was exquisitely Devine!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Secrets The Vine Cancun

Secrets The Vine Cancun
Ranked #4 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Ontario, Canada
“Secrets The Vine was exquisitely Devine!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed at Secrets The Vine from August 16th-26th, 2012 for our second anniversary. We have previously been to Secrets Maroma, Secrets Silversands, Excellence Playa Mujeres,...We thoroughly enjoyed our stay from beginning to end; from the warm welcome we received upon checking in, to the final farewell on our last day in paradise. This trip was fabulous in every regard.
Firstly, the staff are amongst the friendliest people you'll meet. They are always around to cater to your every need, greet you with a smile, and make an effort to learn your name and ensure that your stay is one to remember. We greatly enjoyed the personal touch of our butler, Sandra, who helped us with anything we needed within mere minutes of a request. Thank you, Sandra, we miss you! The GM, Jean-Pierre, always seemed to be around, making sure that the guests were happy and comfortable and that everything was running smoothly. Looking forward to seeing you again in August, Jean-Pierre! Gustavo, one of the pool and beach staff was absolutely amazing. He was ready every morning to prepare our chairs, umbrella and towels for us, not to mention keeping us supplied with never ending drinks and food delights. Thanks, Gustavo! Claudia at the coffee bar is a sweetheart. Always friendly and welcoming, and makes terrific coffees, iced cappuccinos, mochas, and all that you can imagine. See you soon, Claudia!
Upon checking in to our room, we were so impressed with the modern touches: state of the art lighting, high ceilings, modern furniture, comfortable bed, ample space (his and her closets!), double shower and flat sceen tv with great channel selection.
There are 4 pool areas around the property, some with activity going on, and others more appealing to those wanting a quiet atmosphere. The pool temperature is lovely and the pool service was great. A nice touch was the complimentary trial massages that we received while lounging.
The soft white sandy beach is nice and deep and is great for walking. The water was lovely and warm in August, with no rocks to be seen. Weather was a little windy when we were there so some days that made for big waves. A nice beach for frolicking in the surf and going for a stroll.
The restaurants at the hotel are numerous and offer different types of cuisine. We particularly enjoyed the grill where we feasted on scallops, lamb, steak, etc. Olio is a lovely restaurant on the 14th floor where you can take in the sunset and overlook the bay on one side and the ocean on the other. The asian food at Dragons was very tasty as well, especially the great selection of sushi and curries. Nicely spiced and very flavorful. In our opinion, the food at this resort was amongst the best that we’ve had in Mexico and no restaurant disappoints. On top of this, the breakfast buffet has lots of choices.... French toast was terrific!
Drinks are all made with top-shelf liquor and are delicious. Many different varieties of spirits and bar staff are always willing to mix and blend you up something fabulous.
On top of the beautiful rooms, great food, friendly staff and lovely pools and beach, the property itself is stunning.
Looking forward to returning “home”, as you so well put it Rod. Hope to see you there as well next year during our next stay. We enjoyed our chats and meeting you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
17 Thank Katesguy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,435)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

The hotel is very clean and modern. We just got back from a 6 night trip to the vine. Customer service is outstanding. We were upgraded to a preferred junior suite and the room was very large. We actually only used the preferred pool once because we enjoy the other pools much more. The only complaints we had were that the halls were very loud at night. You could hear everything. We also wished that they had more activities to do such as kayaking, snorkeling at the resort. Alex at the pools was our favorite. The pool and beach service was excellent. We ordered room service a couple of nights and they would make whatever we wanted. Housekeeping was great! Everyone is so nice. It makes you feel like you live in another world for a week(dreamland). We would definately go back sometime but next year we are thinking secrets maroma!!! This trip was our 4th trip to cancun and one of the best. We had not one drop of rain the whole week and you know that doesn't happen often.

• Stayed September 2012
12 Thank Bodunckle
SecretsTheVine, E-Concierge at Secrets The Vine Cancun, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you very much for choosing us to stay.

We are overjoyed to read all your possitive reviews, we are currelty working with the equipement and employees to lessen the sound produced by daily work such as room cleaning or minibar getting re-stocked.

We pursue our guests relaxation and comfort, we look forward to host you in a near future.

Paget Parish, Bermuda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

I was most impressed with this hotel. For just being open a few weeks, I did not expect to see the level of operation and service that was provided to us. I was tired and need a relaxing atmospher and indeed that is what I got. From the first step into the hotel on August 30, 2012 to the day of depature September 6, 2012 the level of service was superb, food in every restuarant was great! my favorite was the Dragon and The Market Cafe. The bedroom was large with a nice balcony over looking the ocean and most rooms seem to have some kind of a water view. The design of the rooms was great, it was so comfortable, lots of space and very clean. I enjoyed the hotel so much that I did not even step outside the hotel until the day of departure.

I was most surprised each day at the Pool around 1pm or so the Chefs would come out of the kitchens and serve up specials of the day to guest. What a nice touch!

I specially want to mention a few of the staff, the Executive Chef Antonio was so friendly to everyone and you saw him all over the hotel making sure the guest were satisfied. Christian and Sandra at the Conceirge Desk was very attentive and Winnie Pooh in the Entertainment Department made sure by constantly checking that the guest to see if they were enjoying the nightly entertainment. While the entertainment was not first class, but all the acts performed were truly nice.

What impressed me even more, I am a Master Travel Agent with the Secrets Brand, but the Hotel Management, did not once try to lay it on to impress me in any way. They allowed me to experience what every other guest was experiencing, which was wonderful and I thank them for their professionalisum. I have now put The Vine Cancun Resort on the top of my list to recommend to others.

I thank The Vine Resort so much for a wonderful experience. Room #2305

Room Tip: What I suggest is that travelers should request what is their preference when booking a room, but ke...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
16 Thank Jenefer B
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

Secerts The Vines the best resort have ever visited. From the time we arrived until we left we was treated as a special guest, not just someone staying there.We was booked in the pereferred Jr suite we was met at the door ,greeted by name,escorted to the 21 floor where a glass of bubbly was handed to us,checked in smooth, off to our suite,show us around,show how thing worked,beautiful balconey view spacious room comp mini bar that was restocked daily. I am the
worst with names so I will not try to name anyone for fear of leaving out someone,or slighting someone so to all the staff GREAT JOB Keep up the good work and before you know it this Resort will be the only one travelers will want to stay. I had a hard time getting out of bed because it was so comfy. The turn down service was always on time and the rooms was always cleaned while we were out. Food was good and the deserts was well done and attractive. Now I don't want everyone to think that there wasn't any down sides to this stay, well yes there was one or two. My number one was that the bars closed to early. With this being an all adult resort we feel that the bars and clubs could stay open at least till one p.m. not just one the piano bar. The phone app to call the states didn't work to well sometime it did sometime it didn't,but on thing I do know it don't work calling someone there with you you will be charged roaming.. Other than that We had a grand time, and are planning to return. We knew going in that this is a new Resort and there was going to be something that didn't work just right and we worked around them and we was ok with it knowing that things only get better with time.So We are still saying keep up the good work staff.

Room Tip: If possible get prefered on south side as high up as you can get. South side you can view ocean and...
10 Thank 5marriedcouples
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

My Husband and I just returned from a 5 day babymoon at the Secrets the Vine. The resort is absolutely beautiful. The decor and look for this place is exactly our style, however compared to our past trips to Cancun, I would say it did not meet our expectations.

We've stayed at the palace resorts in Cancun and particularly loved Sun Palace. I would say the facilities here at Secrets can not compete with Sun Palace, however the other amenities we felt were much better at Sun Palace.

The room:

We had booked a preferred ocean front honeymoon suite, and upon arriving to the room noticed that it was not ocean front. Daniel who escorted us to the room went back to the preferred lounge to check on this situation and came back saying they did not have any ocean front rooms available! So we went down to the main checkin in the lobby and they said they did not have any ocean front rooms available for that day so they would upgrade us to the Preferred Ocean Front Master Suite the next day, so that was fine with us. The honeymoon suite was nice, but being on the 26th floor, it was very loud in the morning, b/c there is still construction going on, on the 27th and 28th floors. Not only that, the reviews about being able to hear everything on the floor is correct, we can hear the maids, people in the hallway, the doors are very thin.

So the next day we were moved to the 22nd floor to the Master Suite, we thought the honeymoon suite was nice, my goodness the Master suite was amazing. 2 Living rooms, 2 bathrooms, and the view....breathtaking! The balcony was huge! I would definitely recommend an ocean front room if you stay at this resort. Also the master suite has double doors, there's a door that you enter through, before you can open the door to the suite, this made a huge difference in the noise. We didn't hear anything at all. And being on the 22nd floor, there was no construction, so it was sooo much nicer!

The mini bar was stocked with a couple drinks and miniature bottles of liquor, being pregnant and my husband not being much of a drinker the mini bar is not a concern of ours, but the mini bar at Sun Palace was much nicer, with full size bottles of liquor, just something we noticed.

The Food:

The food here is definitely geared towards a fine dining atmosphere. All the food is presented very nicely and the portions are rather small. Our favorite was the breakfast buffet! I loved the crepes, my husband loved the french toast, and we loved all the different variety of juices. It was really hot in there in the morning and sometimes during lunch, but it was ok.

Lunch buffet, was ok, nothing special, and Sea salt grill was pretty good for lunch as well. The grills by the pool were ok as well.

Dinner at the italian restaurant was good and the service was great and super fast! Especially compared to the other restaurants. We would recommend the penne arrabiata, the fettucine, and the seafood risotto was very good. The minestrone soup was also very good. Our dinners at the other restaurants, were good as well but the service was soooo slow. We expected this but not to this extent. The Asian restaurant especially! One night we went just for a hand roll and their dessert, tempura ice cream (SO GOOD!) and it literally took over 40 minutes! The restaurant was basically empty! The first night we ate at the asian restaurant and it was over an hour and half for our dinner, seriously took so long when there was only like 5 tables! The market cafe at night was pretty slow too, the dessert took about 20 minutes. Also twice during our meals the servers forgot part of our order, but by the time we figured out they forgot something we didn't feel like waiting another 30 minutes so we just let it be. We didn't try the steak house b/c we felt like we had already had so much meat, and Olio's menu didn't really appeal to us. So the food overall was good, nothing special, and service minus the italian restaurant was incredibly slow especially compared to the capacity of the restaurant at the time of service.

We both agree that the food at Sun Palace was much better and at the Palace resorts you can go to their other resorts to try out other restaurants...Secrets offers this as well, but they do not offer transportation, whereas the Palace resorts do, and the closest secrets resort is 40 minutes away.

Misc:

The pools were so nice, and the service was good, but nothing that i felt was exceptional as I had read on the reviews. I don't really think it's necessary to get the preferred, you don't really get anything extra, and there are so many pools that the preferred level pool isn't anything special. I also didn't think the "upgraded bath amenities" were really upgraded. The Secrets bath amenities were by Gilchrist and Soames, but the Secrets packaging makes it look cheap. Palace resorts has Biosilk bath amenities, and other luxury hotels have other branded amenities.

Also the palace resorts have a great resort credit promotion where you can spend a good amount on the spa and other activities. Even tours and golf, however at Secrets, we received $200 resort credit, you have $100 for spa, but you can only use a max of $40 off 2 times and then $10 off 2 times, totaling to $100. At Sun Palace I was able to use i think around $200 so I got a body massage basically for free, I only had to pay for tip. The other resort credit, is $60 off a romantic beach dinner (we've done this in the Maldives and so no need to do it again) and then 4 coupons of $10 off a bottle of wine. At Sun Palace we had $500 resort credit, we used it on a round of golf and spa, it was so much better.

I think next time we will definitely be visiting the Palace resorts again, really curious to try out Le Blanc. I don't think we'll be coming back to the Vine. It's beautiful but you'll get more for your money somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ocean Front! Master Suite has the double door entryway necessary if you don't want to hear every...
13 Thank mtraveler_27
Dear valued Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing us to stay for your babymoon,

In behalf of Secrets The Vine, we would also like to thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

We regret to know that not everything on your stay had met your expectations, we humbly apologize If we caused you an inconvenience, you can be certain that we will take proper measures to prevent re-occurrences on the opportunity areas that you have been so kind to mention on your overview.

We are glad to know the Master Suite you were assigned was comfortable and well located and that some of the culinary options available were of your liking.

In regards of the soundproofing of the rooms and hallways. We are glad to announce that Our Rooms Division manager is working already with the equipement and the staff training to lessen the sounds that daily work may produce on the halls as well we don't have a construction anymore, we are having some minor installations which are being done under the supervision of the Rooms Division Manager and Engeeniring Manteinance Manager scheduled in times our guests are enjoying the facilities of the pool.

We are worried on our guests relaxation and providing a memorable stay to every guest is our goal.

We are working on a daily basis to exceed our Guest’s expectations and would love to have the opportunity to host you again in the very near future.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

We just returned from 5 days/4 nights at The Vine. The service and staff were great. We especially enjoyed the service of Bertin at Bluewater, Victor at Nebbiolo, and Alfredo at Halftime Sports Bar.

Our room was really nice. We were upgraded to a Jr. Suite so we could have a king bed on our anniversary trip. We booked the anniversary package. Good thing it didn't cost extra. No one asked up about setting anything up. We had to keep tracking down staff to make our arrangements. We never got our bottle of champagne. The breakfast in bed was the same you could get from room service.

We were in the preferred club. It's not worth the extra money. We couldn't tell a difference from talking with the other guests. We did notice they were finally setting up a bar in the preferred club reception area as we were checking out. If it stays it will be a nice addition.

We didn't do any of the scheduled activities, but we heard the wine tasting only had 2 wines. This was disappointing to hear since this is billed as a wine themed resort.

The coffee bar in the main lobby was great. We really enjoyed it.

We had breakfast in the Market Cafe. It was really good. The only drawback was the sun. Everyone who faced the window was wearing sun glasses since the sun was so bright. They could use some sort of shading at the top of the windows to cut down on the glare.

For lunch we either went with the poolside grills or the Market Cafe. Both were really good.

For dinner we tried Bluewater, Nebbiolo, Dragons, and Olio. All were great. We did get a raw shrimp as part of the appetizer at Dragons. The chef came out to appologize. If you go to Bluewater ask to be sat in Bertin's section. The same with Victor at Nebbiolo. The food at all of these were great. The steak at Nebbiolo really stood out.

We visited all the pools. They were all nice, although having at least one swim up bar would have been nice. The only real complaint about the pools were the hours. The pools were open until 8pm, however the pool bars and staff packed up and shut down between 5 and 6pm. To me it would make sense to have at least one bar next to the pool open until 8pm.

Like other people we had issues with noise. There is nothing to absorb sound in the hallway. We heard every conversation, room service cart, mop bucket, door slam, and high heels all night long. Also we had an issue with construction noise. I understand potential construction noise during the day at a brand new resort. I DID NOT EXPECT TO HAVE TO VISIT THE FRONT DESK ABOUT CONSTRUCTION NOISE IN OUR ROOM AT MIDNIGHT!!!

The resort advertises wifi throughout. Everytime i walked by the concierge desk someone was complaining about connectivity. We had the same issues. Don't count on it to be consistent if you have to monitor anything online. Half the time I couldn't even get the secrets app I downloaded to run correctly.

I felt it was an overall positive visit, but we won't be returning. We like to relax, not be woken up by someone's room service cart at midnight.

In summary:
Great food and service
Bring ear plugs if you would like a full night's sleep.
if something isn't right, let the staff know immediately. They won't know to fix it otherwise.

Room Tip: If you stay opposite the pool you can steal wifi from next door. Save money, don't book the pre...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank JohnnyMo0074
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

The good: the food was very good, we did not have a bad experience at all, the service in the restaurants was slow but we were ok with that. The hotel was beautiful, aside from the exposed wires and broken glass. The beach was gorgeous and the location fantastic.

The not so good:

First off, let me say that I expected bumps and was certainly prepared for them. So after staying in our room the first night, the next morning we went to the concierge desk in the main lobby with a list of things that needed attention in our room. We were in a Preferred Master Suite on the 24th floor. The concierge was helpful and very nice, took down all of our issues and assured us they would be taken care of. The issues ranged from the closet lighting never turning off all night, to smaller things like replenishing our liquor at the mini bar.

That afternoon they fixed a couple of the items and never came back for the rest. The next day we went to the 21st floor (we had found out that this is being used as a make shift preferred lounge area, though no one actually told us this) with our list, which was longer than the first day due to finding more items, and were treated VERY rudely by the female concierge. Needless to say NONE of it got done.

So the third day we went back to the main concierge level and spoke to Runa, who was very nice and explained that not only do only about half the lights work in our suite, we had no hot water, no coffee, (the list of room issues is lengthy)strange people knocking on our door reswiping some sort of "master Key" (unsettling) and the hotel staff actually came in and fumigated my suite, while I was inside, not sure why that couldn’t have waited.

On top of that, most days we were never offered drinks at the pool, the preferred pool lounge closed at 5, the preferred pool was not preferred at all. The preferred was an absolute rip off, we got none of the things on the list.

The spa employees walked around the pool area trying to get you to purchase treatments (but no one offered drinks), the buffet restaurant was ungodly hot and hardly ever had clean tables but always had plenty of time share sales people telling the guests to give them $40,000 for a "loyalty" club.

Again, did I expect bumps? yes. Was I always very nice to all of the staff? yes. Did I tip everyone all the time? yes.

I also expected them to fix things that were broken and listen if a customer is sitting in front of you asking you to correct something. On the last day I viewed their Facebook page to find that someone who had complained on the Facebook page for all to see had all of their issues fixed and then some. Shame on Secrets for not helping everyone, just those that yelled the loudest.

Room Tip: Do not waste your money on the preferred club.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
15 Thank jjpinney
Dear jjpinney,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience, this is a very important feedback for us to detect our opportunity areas and make the immediate actions.

We regret to know that your stay was not as pleasant as we would like it to be.

Be certain that your review will have the proper follow up and this way we will keep the highest standard service and facilities.

We apologize if our staff gave you the wrong impression and caused you an inconvenience, We are surprised by the actions you mention, this is not a common practice.

We will work on reinforcing service training to our staff following your feedback lines.

We hope to have another opportunity to host you again in the future and offer you the excellent service and facilities which have always distinguished our brand.

Dear future guests,
Please rest assured all our guests needs may be addressed to any of our staff members, that their reviews have not necessarily have to be posted in a website, because for us guest service is our first priority and we will try everything in our hands to satisfy your needs.

info.sevcu@secretsresorts.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Le Blanc Spa Resort
#10 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,571 reviews
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula

Been to Secrets The Vine Cancun? Share your experiences!