“It is NOT ADULT-ONLY”

Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort
Ranked #27 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed May 8, 2014

this resort is NOT ADULT ONLY. i repeat, there are children crawling all over this resort. the staff say it's not their problem to inform expedia. very small resort with no nightlife at all. GREAT FRIENDLY staff. KIDS and BABIES were EVERYWHERE.

Room Tip: we requested king size bed and got there to find 2 full-size beds. sold out nothing they could do.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GeeWhy
Write a ReviewReviews (4,367)

Reviewed May 4, 2014

I just returned from a 7 day trip. I would only go back to this resort for 4 night or less trip, but in reality I'd probably try somewhere new. It is simply too small for more than a few nights. If clean, quiet and great service is what you're looking for, then it's perfect

Pros: Clean, nice pools, GREAT service, staff is extremely friendly, all-inclusive is pretty awesome to eat/drink whatever you want, housekeeping staff is pretty awesome coming in twice per day, beds are comfy, bathroom is spacious, balcony was great

Cons:
1. Very limited food options:
-Zango (indoor buffet, open bfast, lunch, dinner). Great presentation, food mediocre.
-St. Trop (outdoor restaurant, open 11-6). Similar to bar food (nachos, chicken tenders, etc).
-Hibachi grill (reservations only and must be made 24 hours in advance. No menu, only choice is beef, chicken or steak). Tasted great, but since no menu, you're eating the same thing if you go more than once. And SO hot in the restaurant-- they bring you iced towels to put around your neck or wipe your face.
-Seasons (4 course meal with the same menu Thurs-Sun & Mon-Wed-- 5 entree choices and the only difference in menus is how they prepare them). Virtually no veggies on the menu. So I got the same beef 4 nights we were there. Granted it was cooked very well and tasted great, but just got boring.

So essentially for bfast you have the buffet only. For lunch it's buffet or outdoor grill bar food. Dinner is buffet, hibachi or seasons. Buffets just aren't that great, so that left us with 2 nights Hibachi and 5 nights at Seasons. Got way to boring and suffocating almost to eat at the same restaurant for 5 nights. Hence why this resort is too small for more than 4 nights.

2. All private cabanas around the pool are reserved. Yet half of them are empty. Frustrating to not be able to use them b/c they are reserved and see them sit empty.

3. Hardly any umbrellas. The resort next door at tons of umbrellas. There were maybe 6 total on the beach for this resort. If you want an umbrella, get up by 7am and go put towels and a bag on the chairs near an umbrella.

4. So so SO many beach cabanas with towels on them to save them and guests hardly using them. There should be some sort of limit. If it goes unused for an hour, the chair/cabana/etc is fair game for another guest to use.

5. Entertainment was at 9pm and typically for an hour. Just someone playing music or 6 people playing cards. If you went to dinner at 7:30 or 8pm you'd miss pretty much all of the entertainment, so resort got pretty boring.

6. No place to get bottled water before 11am. The inside bar is not open until 11, the outdoor grill restaurant/bar is not open until 11, and the restaurants will not serve bottled water. There are 3 bottles in the mini bar in the room but they only restock every 24 hours. I was going on an excursion and asked the concierge where I could get bottled water b/c we had drank our 3 in the room the night before and was told I could not get any. This is especially frustrating due to #7.

7. I drank the water they claimed was filtered in the restaurants and am on Day 5 of stomach issues... most likely going to need antibiotics. Who knows if the issues stem from the water or ice in the drinks, but none the less, I regret drinking any of the water in restaurants and am that much more disappointed they won't serve bottled water in them.

8. Pools close at 6pm. Why?!!! Since the resort is so small it would be nice if the pool and the pool bar stayed open into the evening.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LizardPa
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Kindness, best food and beverage, Cuddled and beloved: what else?
Impeccable and great service efficiency. Perfect cleaning everywhere and safety feeling also on the beach. Never been afraid that some was able be appropriated of the other people's things

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Pietrocollini
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Very good service. Hostels are very friendly. Very Nice to meet Russian speaking employee Mary from Cuba, she helped us a lot to be familiarize with the Hotel and entertainment in Cancun.

Be ready to be stand by prior to check in. ( Check in Time 15:00 )

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

We decided to try Sandos for my 39th birthday and picked this hotel for their advertisement as a "culinary experience." Since my hubby and I are major foodies we were excited to be blown away!

Let me just say, there's only 4 indoor restaurants (buffet, hibachi and a la carte) and an outdoor pool snack/bar/restaurant.

Lets start with the outdoor pool. Food for pool side is actually pretty good. My 1 year old daughter loved the fresh guacamole, they have pizza, buffet with burgers and dogs. We really enjoyed eating at the pool and just soaking in the sun and people watching. The only thing is on the menu is fresh catch of the day... Well, lets say its not fresh and its really frozen filet tilapia and the choice of fish never changes.
Lets move on the the next restaurant the buffet one. I don't remember the name but its a buffet everyday for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The breakfast is decent but you really can't go wrong with breakfast. Lets talk about dinner, the most important meal of the day. The food at the buffet is just horrible. The food is not hot, it's dry and the food has no flavor or taste! For a culinary experience, I was expecting meats that are grilled to your liking or something that gives the guest a true culinary experience. We stayed at Le Blanc last year and their buffet was amazing with raw meats, steaks, lamb chops grilled to your liking. Both of these hotels are rated 5 stars however, we were disappointed with Sandos.

The a la carte restaurant was pretty tasty. Portions are very small and presentation and service is amazing. The menu itself is small with mediocre selections of meat cuts and fish selection.

The hibachi restaurant was great and very typical of an authentic hibachi restaurant. I had ordered steak as my selection and I personally requested the chef to cook my steak medium/rare and he looked at me like I was crazy. My husband and I were the only ones who requested our steak to be cooked a certain way... See we are huge foodies!
Anyways, he says the meat is cooked one way only. At the end of his presentation, our steaks were medium well!!! We couldn't eat it, it was so dry. So, to advertise your hotel as a culinary experience but not have experienced chefs who can accommodate guest requests is pretty absurd and just bad customer service.

Lets talk about customer service. The waiters and bartenders lack the customer service I expect from a 5 star hotel. I requested a high chair at the outdoor pool restaurant and the waiter said they don't have high chairs for the out door restaurant. I looked at him with a dirty look as he can see I am holding my 1 year old daughter and asked to speak to the manager about getting a high chair. He then got nervous and said he will go to the other restaurant and check. 10 minutes later, we got a high chair!!! Please... Do I have to beg for a high chair??? Just ridiculous.

Also, if you don't tip them, they take forever to bring your drinks or even if you order at the bar!! Bad service again!

Also, beware!!! There is no swim up pool bar!!!! So sad for a 5 star luxury hotel!!!

Only one of the pools is heated and most of the heat comes from the jacuzzi that's attached to it. The further you get away from the jacuzzi the colder the water gets. The heated pool only gets about 3 hours of sun a day so by 2 pm it's completely shaded by the hotel building and cold. The other 2 pools are freezing and so cold that not even one person swimming in it! We only used the one heated pool and could not enjoy the other pools that had the sun since the water was so cold.

Cabanas were only reserved for the penthouse guests and the cabanas on the beach were all taken by 10 am!!!!

On a good note, our housekeeper clean our room very well... But we tipped him $10 a day so I think that was a good incentive to keep our room clean.

So overall, it was just an average experience and we expected so much more!!! We would never go back. I would highly recommend Le Blanc but since its all adults we would not be able to go there with our daughter.

We have been to Cancun 10 times over the last 15 years and have tried many different resorts.

The resort is very beautiful, modern, clean but we were disappointed with food and service.

Stayed: January 2014
6  Thank VirginiaClam
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We stayed at Sandos from April 17-20. It was my birthday weekend and we just wanted an easy getaway. We picked Sandos because we found a reasonable package through Orbitz and the reviews were good. This was my 3rd experience at an All Inclusive in Cancun. Upon arrival we were greeted by wet towels and a rose. The check-in process was fast, and we qualified for an upgrade so that was nice.
After checking-in, we had to walk over to a gentleman who was supposedly going to tell us about the resort but in reality spent over 45 minutes trying to convince us to participate in an 1:30 marketing breakfast the next day. He was overly pushy and would not take no for an answer. I found that to be a huge inconvenience!
Another thing that I found extremely annoying and very odd for a "luxury" resort was the complete lack of any umbrellas by the beach or the pool. Basically, if you are planning on staying outdoors on the beach or by the pool and you do not have a Suit that would qualify you for a nice cabana, you will not find a shaded area the entire day! The only available 10-12 cabanas by the beach are fully reserved by 6 am by people who place towels, books, and other objects on the cabana and do no even show up to the beach the entire day. My recommendation is talk to the personnel who hand out towels and ask them for help.
As far as the staff, they are all very friendly. The highlight of our trip was the Hibachi restaurant and Emanuel was a great and fun chef! He made my birthday dinner very special for me! As far as the food, I have yet to stay at an all inclusive and say that the food is great, it's just not. The food looks good but lacks in taste. The Hibachi though is very very good!!!
Overall, we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 7th floor "ocean view" but majority of our view was of the Secret of The...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Saharism
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We stayed at the Sandos resort the week of 4/22. The resort in itself was great. We really enjoyed the facilities. The pools are awesome. We have stayed at 5 all inclusive resorts in Mexico and have to say that this one is by far the best. The staff is amazing and accommodating and the food was very good. The resort is extremely clean. The beach beds are amazing (though you have to be up very early to get one of the 10 or so on the beach).
The rooms was excellent. The AC was very cold. The bathrooms are gorgeous and large.

We traveled with our baby, so the only thing we wish this resort had was a larger area/room for our baby to be able to play. The kids club is nice but the closed room is small and our baby would not have had enough room to crawl around. We understand that the resort is geared more towards adults, so if our child was older where he needs a place to play, we maybe would have a chosen a resort that is geared more towards families and kids. For couples though, there may not be a better resort in all of Cancun than the Sandos.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family