“Solid” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Solid”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Sandos Cancun Luxury Resort March 9-March 11. My perspectives below:

PROS:
Clean
Modern (Inside)
Phenomenal gym/spa
Ocean/pool ambiance
Quaint
Extensive all-inclusive/buffet quality

CONS:
Smaller hotel/narrow options in terms of dinning, outdoor bars, etc
WOW factor
Lukewarm shower water

All-in-all, this was a great hotel, exceptional service, with a modern/chill environment. This hotel, seemingly, catered to a general audience of those that are 1. Between the ages of 25-55 2. European or North American travelers and 3. vacationers that, for the most part, stylish. I would recommend this hotel to family and friends, however I don't particularly know if I would return as it just lacked a "wow factor." Inevitably, a very "solid" resort.

Room Tip: Like any all-inclusive, you get what you pay for. While I mentioned that I don't particularly k...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Aspen, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

This hotel did not honor my hotels.com reservation. They double charged me after I left using my incidentals visa slip - claiming it would be handled by the office. They basically stole $449. Additionally, the hotel is a dump. The rooms have no view, soft beds, cheap linens, an old TV with a broken remote, few movies for extra charge, terrible food, embarrassing entertainment, cheap alcohol, etc...just awful. Stay anywhere else.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank sikaspen
Decatur, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed for 6 nights/7 days at Sandos Cancun. I chose the hotel based on being available as an all inclusive, a "golden apple" hotel per Apple Vacations, and the very positive reviews on Trip Advisor. I admit I was also lured by having the word "luxury" included in the hotel's name. Upon our arrival, we checked in and then met with someone who strongly encouraged us to purchase spa services that we declined. When we vacation, we typically prefer to rest and relax without extra costs or excursions.

The room was a Superior and the view faced Secrets and the tennis courts. The room was clean. The mini bar is stocked with soda, beer, water, and one snack sized M&M product. For a "luxury" hotel, I think at least two single sized chocolates should be included (or not at all). It wasn't stocked typically until 5 pm and was not stocked the day before we left. With housekeeping, they cleaned the room well, but did not always restock it with supplies such as washcloths. At least two nights, I did not have any replaced wash clothes.

We really enjoyed the beautiful and very clean pools. They were never overcrowded and we were able to obtain chairs every day. The beach had the beautiful blue water and easy to walk on the beaches. In regard to food choices, we ate breakfast daily at Zango's and the food was generally very average. For lunch, we most often ate at St. Trop, by the pool, and ordered off the menu rather than the buffet. The buffet at St. Trop was average to below average, but the food on the menu was very good (steak quesadillas, chips with salsa and guacamole, nachos, and tomato and mozzarella salad). I would recommend ordering from the menu which is very quick and enjoyable. By the pool, they would occasionally have food and drinks prepared and the freshly made food and drinks were always very good (tacos el pastor and paella)! For dinner, we ate at Zango's most nights and it typically was average to below average with desserts having little flavor. Consistently, the gelato and ice cream were very good. We reserved and ate one night at Gajin which was very enjoyable as well.

The hotel appears to mostly attract adults with very few children. Wait and hostess staff were pleasant and efficient.

I have taken similar all inclusive vacations and would describe the stay as comparable (although I have paid less for past trips).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank SunnyBeachGirl2014
Alto, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

We stayed at this resort in Feb 2013 for a week beginning on Valentine's day. It was an all-inclusive plan booked at a very low price with the catch being we had to sit through their time share presentation. We did not have a "perfect" stay, but a year later I am left with good memories and the few annoying things have faded away. The concierge that booked us the time share presentation was not too eager to book us into excursions right away, and so we kind of had a wasted day in Mexico because they told us to come back and see them after our presentation which was not until the next day. But with that fact long in the past, I would say overall it was an excellent trip. The room was beautiful, the food was not the best I have ever eaten, and was far better than I thought it would be after reading some of the older reviews. There were new menu choices daily and several places to choose from, so we never ate the same thing twice, and could have probably stayed another week without repeating a meal. The breakfast buffet was fabulous each morning. The resort was not full during our stay, so we got into every restaurant easily, and had no wait in line at the bars. They also had a special Valentine dinner with a beautiful presentation. The hibachi place was great, and was included in the all inclusive price--lots of places charge extra to get in the specialty restaurants.

My husband and I are not big drinkers, but we probably put away more alcohol this week than in the prior year. The drinks were great, and they did not skimp on the alcohol at all. We tried lots of different things without worry, because if you don't like it, just order another! Spent one entire day on the beach with a great server bringing us frozen Margaritas, chips, fresh salsa and guacamole all day. They had activities at the clubs every night. The pools were just beautiful, the beach is just outside your door and there were lots of chairs available, and we had ocean sunset views each evening. I am sure if the hotel was completely full that it may have been a bit too crowded and long waits, but no problems in mid February!

The time share presentation was actually pretty good, and the price got very nice after we showed interest but said no a few times. Truthfully, if we had more vacation time and planned to come to Mexico on a regular basis, I may have actually bought it. But with only a few trips a year that we can get time off for, and wanting to explore new things when we travel, I had to sadly pass it up. If we had paid 400+ per night for our stay, I think my rating would probably be 4 stars rather than 5, but if you ever get the chance to spend a week here all-inclusive for a small fraction of the normal rates, I would recommend anyone to go for it. I would go back again at that price anytime!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EricAngie95
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

After reading all the great reviews Sandos has received on Trip Advisor I was expecting a slightly different experience. I will say over all the resort was clean, the staff was exceptional and the pool/beach areas were unbelievable. However, I felt very mislead by some of the reviews and the hotel website.

The Room - after checking in we had to wait 4 hours to get a room (check in is suppose to be 3 and we waited until almost 4). The room was very clean but also very dated. The sheets appeared to be clean but were very worn and dingy. If you need wifi it will most likely not work in your room and will receive a better signal at the pool. The minni fridge did not have any hats alcohol. It was stocked daily with water, pop, six beers and one pack of m&m's...that's it! The room service however was amazing and made up for the lack of snacks in the fridge. We ended up ordering room service at least once a day (even once just to get drinks).

Pool Bar - I was very disappointed to find out the pool bar and restaurant was only open for dinner service on Saturday nights. My boyfriend and I really enjoyed eating and have drinks outside, it would have been nice to have this restaurant open more then one night. Lunch and drink service at this location was exceptional. There is a brick oven for pizza and they also grill kabobs daily.

Breakfast - The only breakfast options are room service or the buffet. Both options had exceptional food, but again it would have been nice to have outdoor seating. I don't enjoy spending my time inside while I'm on vacation. One thing I realized 2 days into the trip is they have an espresso machine...cappuccinos are not listed on the room service menu but you can still order one with no problem. (Also there is a Starbucks at the mall which is only a 15-20 minute walk for those coffee addicts like me!)

Dinner - There are only 3 options for dinner: Zango (the buffet), Gainji (the Japanese restaurant), and Seasons. I really enjoyed Zango. The food was amazing for being a buffet. My only complaint is they do not allow you take any food out of the restaurant. After eating at the Japanese restaurant one night we wanted to grabbed a few deserts and had to sneak a plate out after being told that was not allowed. Gainji is your typical hibachi restaurant with decent food. I would recommend making reservations as soon as you check in as the nights full up quickly. The restaurant itself was small and extremely stuffy. I might be biased because I live in a city with one of the best avant-garde restaurants around...but Seasons was very disappointing and my least favorite dining experience of the trip. The only good part of dinner was the soup, I recommend ordering both options. I ordered 'liquid pineapple' for dessert, but I realized after getting pineapple juice in a champagne class it wasn't as exciting as it sounded. Also, guys must have long pants and covered shoes or they will turn you away.

Drinks - One of my biggest complaints about this place is there were no drink menus. The only way I learned what drinks were available was watching what other people ordered at the bar. For frozen drinks I would recommend ordering a Miami Vice or Rivera Maya. The house wine was not very good, and you have to buy a bottle to get a decent glass. Don't order a drink with out being specific about what you want. My boyfriend ordered a vodka gimlet at Seasons and never received it. The waiter asked 2x how to make the drink and when the bartender made something else we watched the waiter put the drink in a buffet drawer and never asked if he wanted anything else. It was a little odd. They do have Kettle One and Bacardi, but be specific what Bacardi you want I had to say 'Bacardi Clear' to get the option I wanted.

Activities - The Sandos website lists 'nightly activities', but I was extremely disappointed in what was considered an activity. There is only one bar open at night (the lobby bar) and that's were these 'activities' took place. Some of the themes during our trip included minute it to win it and 60/70s night...boring. A good tip is you can go sit on hammocks on the deck outside of the lobby bar. That's were I spent a majority of the nights. The one theme night I enjoyed was Jazz night. This was the night that the pool bar was open for dinner and the only night the activity was not located inside. I could see the activities Secrets had next door from my room and they were more on par with what I was expecting - Mayan dancers, bands, etc. There was pool volleyball at one of the three pools during the day which was much enjoyed.

Over all it was a good experience. I would have enjoyed more outdoor dining options and better entertainment, but the service and pool itself were perfect.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ktliztrace
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

We are a couple in our mid twenties. My wife and I spent 5 days at Sandos Cancun in Feb. 2014. We had an excellent vacation. Majority of the guests at this resort are mature couples anywhere from their late twenties and up. We had exceptional service from check in to check out. We were greeted with a glass of champagne and a rose for my wife. We requested a high floor and we were given a room on the highest floor with an amazing view. The rooms are very specious and absolutely beautiful. The staff are extremely friendly and very helpful. Our housekeeping lady that comes around 7 pm to the 7th floor was so joyful and sweet! ( sorry I forgot her name I wish I remembered!) I find that this type of staff tends to get overlooked in the hotel industry, so tip them too, it is nice coming back from the beach having your bed set up and ready to sleep in !!! We tried every restaurant and enjoyed the food at all of them. We had dinner at the Gaijin several times and had no problems with making a reservation for the next day unlike other reviewers who had to wait up to 3 days. The beach is amazing with fine white sand and beautiful colours of the ocean water. The pool DOES NOT close at 5pm like some reviewers mentioned. Just because there is no one in the pools after they are shaded over (by 1pm) due to the Secrets next door it does not mean that the pools are closed, they actually close at 10pm. We were in the infinity pools until 7pm every night and found this to be the best time as there were only a few people in it. We also only saw a few people tipping, however the staff work very hard and definitely deserve a tip. It is their main source of income, so don't be a cheapo!!! 1-2 dollars every other drink for them goes a long way!! We also did a few excursions that we arranged from the hotel without any problems.

A few negatives:

You do have to get down to the beach by 8am if you want to get a chair for yourself. The resort does lack in nightly entertainment and feels dead after 6pm. The pools are shaded over by 2pm due to the Secrets resort next door. Another thing which I know management cant do anything about but: some people just go down to the beach early in the morning and put their towels on chairs only to return 2-3 hours later. For all you people who do this, do you think others will just wait around for you all day??? Well, I am going to use your clean towel that you left on the chair for me and take your chair, sorry you selfish jerks.

Things we would recommend:

More chairs on the beach
Nightly entertainment - It would be great if St. Tropics would stay open at least until 10pm and perhaps have a live band or some form of entertainment.
More snacks in the minibar - peanuts, cookies, chips and etc. - there is only a bag of M&M's and different variety of pops and beer.

Overall, we definitely recommend this resort for couples and families with older kids who are looking for a nice and quiet vacation. We will definitely return again and again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Really enjoyed our stay at Sandos. Staff in bars and restaurants are very good and friendly. Everytime we had to ask the front desk for help it took forever to get a result. We moved from 2 double beds to a king-bed room (we had requested this, but as the hotel will full and we checked in late in the evening no rooms available), in our new room the fridge did not work. We ask reception to fix or change - it took 2 days before this was solved and only because my boyfriend escalated to the manager on duty. 2 days with no cold water in the room is a long time when you are in Mexico!! The pools were all in the shade of the big Secrets hotel next door just before 2pm, which is a pity, if you are there to tan and relax in the sun you need to get a sun bed on the beach.
The food was surprisingly good. Excellent breakfast and the fish and meat for lunch/dinner was lovely.
The SPA is AMAZING - however a bit pricey (went twice to get a facial and a massage)! Check out the daily updates for deals etc.

Room Tip: Higher floors close to beach have great views
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple