“Fabulous surprise!”

Ranked #28 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Burlington, Canada
“Fabulous surprise!”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here in April 2013. We were booked for grand Bahia coba but they over booked and offered to send us to Sandos Cancun. So we moved. Absolutely loved it...the food was over the top...the staff soo professional...accommodations luxurious with plenty of drawers for storage. I brought a lot of bathing suits with me!! Unfortunately I left a drawer full of them behind...worth a small fortune :-( the staff got right on it found them and Fedx them home to me. The guest service manager Lourdes Larrondo and Norma at the concierge desk were extremely helpful. We will definitely be back! I would recommend this resort to anyone who enjoys the finer things in life and some night life too!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (759)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Buford, Georgia, United States
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Arrival- Upon arrival they make you feel very pampered. They offer cold towels, a rose for the ladies, and a glass of champagne. They even got my husband a beer right away. Alfredo greeted us and ever since our first meeting, he remembered our names and greeted us every other time we saw him. He is truly a joy to talk to and we enjoyed looking for him everytime we went through the lobby. He is a great "face" for the front door.

Room-Very clean, beautiful bathroom, comfortable bed(which is SUPER important.) I loved the fact that they stocked the bathroom with Q-tips and makeup remover pads. Nice little detail. Never once had a problem with the room being clean. Nothing was ever stolen, however there is an in room safe.

Beach/Pools-The water at the beach is incredible. It's a beautiful blue and is pretty to look at. As far as the roughness...it is rough. Most can't swim in it. We went out and basically stood on the sandbar and cooled off. The cabanas on the beach are first come, first serve. They go relatively quick, but there were plenty of lounge chairs available every day. No problem there. The pools are very clean and beautiful and great to just relax in and watch the ocean, however, they are warm. Yes, the sun is hot, yes, the water heats up, so we can't complain much here. I used the showers down by the beach when I wanted to cool off.

Pool drink service- Irving made this trip for me. He really is awesome. He is so friendly and happy and genuinely seems to enjoy meeting people and taking care of them. I recommend to anyone going to this resort-ask for him and take care of him with a good tip. You will not be disappointed and he deserves it.

Food-The food really is top notch here, and I can say that we are pretty picky. There was only one meal that we did not enjoy and we were here a full week. Seasons is wonderful and the menu does change. We didn't figure that out until our last night or we would have eaten there every night. Keep in mind with Seasons that it is developed as a 4 course tasting menu. We heard complaints from others that the portions were not enough, but for me and my husband it was perfect. They are also very accommodating if you wanted to add on a lobster tail or a piece of fish to make your entrée meal bigger. We were ranting and raving about the food and the Executive Chef came out and met us. What a nice touch. The person that really was great was our server at Zango, Arturo. He was awesome. Very on top of things, constantly refilling your water, very personable, and he made us laugh. We started requesting him every time we ate at Zango.

Room Service-It's funny because the food is awesome here except the late night room service. Keep in mind that we were ordering after 12:00AM, so maybe earlier in the day or night it's just fine. Do NOT judge the food by the room service. We ordered a pizza late night and it was not good but the pizza's by the pool during the day rock.

Alcohol-Spot on. They have it all in the liquor department. All of your premiums that you are accustomed to. As far as beer, you are looking at Sol, Tecate, and Dos Equis. We were cool with that, but they do not have Corona. They also stock your mini fridge with beer.

Entertainment-Ricardo, Alfonso, and Mauricio really have a good thing going on. They like each other and have fun with each other and I think that makes for a good team. They won't harass you if you say "no" to an activity either, which is nice. They try to get you involved but if you say no, they will not pressure you, like at some other resorts. They also get involved with games and activities and enjoy them with the guests instead of staring at you from the sidelines. They make you feel like you are their friends and I liked that. I have terrible volleyball skills and never play but they encouraged me and laughed with me, not at me. It was actually fun! On a side note, as someone who speaks little to no Spanish, it was nice that they were able to help me if I did have a hard time explaining to another employee a drink request, or if I had a question about an excursion, etc. All 3 of them speak great English and can communicate very well. This is a huge bonus.

Spa-The spa was very nice. It was relaxing. I had a 50 minute relaxation massage but went in an hour early to enjoy all of the "wet areas." Karla was my guide through that process and was very professional and explained everything. I loved the cold plunge. It was an adrenaline rush! The prices of the spa in my opinion are a bit high but the good news, is that they run specials every day which will be listed on a scroll that you will receive in your room the night before. I would suggest seeing what those are before booking.

Activities/Nightlife-The penthouse party was well done. The decorations were beautiful, the water drum show was really awesome and something not seen everyday. They give away prizes also. My suggestion would be that at the end of all of the bottles and massages given away that everyone's name gets thrown back into the bowl for a chance to win the free nights. There were several complaints about that, but it's an easy fix! My suggestion with activities and nightlife is to really try to plan something every night that will last at least 3 hours and be fun for everyone. Instead of just doing "Minute to Win It," have a full on game night with several different game shows or board games. We didn't want to go downtown to the clubs every night but we didn't want to sit around talking at BarONE either. Something in the middle is really what needs to be worked on. Also, back up plans. If karaoke gets cancelled because of the rain, what can be a solid plan b? You have an incredible staff ready and willing to make it happen which is a great starting point.

BarONE-They made great drinks. They really did. Everything was mixed well, and they were great about giving suggestions on places to see, things to do, etc. Lorenzo and "Nacho Libre" were a great team and kept us laughing many a late night. Clara was so sweet and dealt with us like a champion.

Overall-I really enjoyed this resort. It's smaller, but I think that allows for more personal attention and service. The staff really is incredible here. They made it totally worth it. The food is impressive, the drinks are strong and varied, pools and beach are clean. Nighty entertainment, could use a little more, that is my only suggestion.

7 Thank MrsJenLed
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 4 night in July. Check in was fast. Wonderful staff at the front desk. Upgraded to balcony room. There was an issue with our luggage being brought up (took 2 hours). The hotel was nicely decorated. The pool area was great. Never really felt crowded. Salvador at the pool was awesome. He befriended us at a bus stop, very helpful with directions before we even knew he worked at the hotel. The food was good, but the buffet was kind of boring. Breakfast had everything under the sun. We were looking forward to Mexican food for dinner, never had any on the buffet during the stay. The gym equipment was outdated. They had teas and nice exercise/yoga room.
Beach area was great. Disliked that some guest threw towels on beach beds and left, didn't come back for 4 hrs. Need to keep an eye out or make a rule. Lucky we got one early.
Bottom line, I would stay there again for the great staff. I really do not like mega resorts, this fit the bill.

Room Tip: Get balcony room.
1 Thank Deborahhanna
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We are just about to leave the Sandos Luxury Resort after a one week stay. We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect our stay. The service was outstanding from the front door, restaurants, bars, pool-side staff, spa staff... We would like to make special mention of a few incredible staff members: Josefina in the spa was by far the best masseur I have ever had, Carolina in the hydrotherapy portion of the spa was so sweet and helpful and we were privileged to be waited on by two very fun, detailed and committed amigos Arturo Gio and Emir. Thr gym and fitness studio are also well-equipped, clean and up-to-date. We would highly recommend the Sandos Luxury Resort to our friends.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that overlooks the water/beach. It is gorgeous.
Waxhaw
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This place is absolutely amazing! The food is not all inclusive by any means, the presentation is amazing and the staff is awesome. Everyone here wants to make sure that you are having a great time. The rooms are great, the fridge stocked with water, candy, and beer at no extra cost. The views are stunning, and the whole place is just perfect. This hotel is mainly for adults and families with small children, where they can stay and just relax. LuLu is awesome, and makes sure there is plenty to do at the resort. Ricardo and Alfredo do a great job at the pool and get the guests involved. I traveled here with a friend to teach yoga and aqua fit, and we had an absolute ball here and can not wait to go back. I have stayed at other places in Cancun, and nothing compares to the say at the Sandos. You will not be disappointed here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Desirae S
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed 1 night at Sandos Resort at the end of a 5 day trip to the area. We loved it. The lobby is beautiful and staff is welcoming. The beach is breathtaking and we enjoyed lodging on the Swing Beds reading a good book, sipping a cold, drink delivered by our friendly waiter. We both left knowing we'd like to return one day and we're finally planning our next trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kimberlymanuelberrio
McAlester, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Well another thing I've never done before. I just checked in yesterday and already feel compelled to brag about my stay here at the Sandos Cancun. It has been so nice I couldn't wait till I got home.

My wife, daughter and her collage friend arrived late yesterday from Oklahoma. From the doorman to the front desk was a wonderful experience. The ladies were greeted with a rose each and we were all greeted with champagne. Our rooms were ready when we arrive. I could not have been happier. Course I have never stayed in a bad room here.

I had made reservations ahead of time over the internet for dinner in the Japanese Restaurant. They greeted us at the door by name. The show was great and the service was embarrassingly wonderful. A year ago we were here and ate with the manager and the new assistant manager. It was her second day. She was trying out all the food venues, I noticed she is now the manager. She is a brilliant lady that speaks several languages. We have talked about that dinner to friends ever since we got home. She has a real eye for detail as most things, which were very few, have already been corrected or improved.

The only major thing I had a problem with on our last stay was Wi-Fi connection. It only worked well in certain areas. That may not be an issue for a lot of people but it is for us. It is now great. The only other thing I noticed last time was the view was semi-obstructed from the view out of the gym. Not only was corrected, I noticed 4 men working on the plants, which are now labeled by species by name in two languages. Another man was power washing the cool deck around the pool and walkways.

And the Gym! All new Lifefitness equipment with a view of the wonderful blue water. After the wonderful 5 course meal last night (pick any meat you want or a mix - I picked beef filet', shrimp and chicken) we made it to the room. Turn down service (yes, at an all inclusive). Little things like when the man came to replenish the mini refrigerator I told him what we liked to drink and he removed everything else and filled it up with our favorites. Did I mention the bottle of champagne that awaited us or the snacks and the chocolate dipped strawberries??

View from the room was great the lagoon and ocean. Robes and slippers. Balcony was actually clean!

I got up and went to the Gym. There is nothing they don't have. I then went down to the spa. Everyone was very friendly. I went into the men's side and changed. A young man gave me the tour even thought I had been there many times I let him anyway. Damn, excuse the French, there was more to it than I knew there was. I let him lead me around. He gave me a choice of citrus water or tea. Then asked if I would like to start with the steam room. Told him yes. He smiled and actually went inside and tossed cool water on the thermostat. The steam flew. He told me there was no use in me waiting for it to cycle. He laid out a towel for me and opened the door. I noticed they had added signs and guards over the area the steam shoots out of, nice. The steam room actually has a cool water shower inside. Pull the handle and it drenches you. Something I have always loved and have never found in any other steam room. I came out and he suggested a plunge in the cool plunge tub. It has little waves. Then the hot tub, then the sauna, finally a shower. Very good products.

I was ready for the massage. I got a 80 minute deep tissue. I have had a lot of massages. It was one of the best. Tomorrow I will do it all over, along with my daughter and her friend. The spa has a special. One of them will be free.

Had a shrimp cocktail at the pool café and a cheeseburger. Then felt so relaxed I crawled to the room to find a bottle of tequila, salt and cut up limes. Lets see, champagne or tequila? Later, I want a good ole USA iced pepsi. Did I mention the new ice machines? And in my favorite shape.

Don't know if this will get published since I am still here, but just felt compelled to take a few minutes and brag on this hotel and the whole experience. It is as they claim; a Luxury All Inclusive with a staff that surpasses any hotel staff I have every been exposed to and I have been a lot of places and have stayed in many hotels here in Cancun before I found this gem.many hotels I have experienced here in Cancun.

I'm already dreading Saturday. We have to leave. But already planning a trip back in August

Steven P

Room Tip: Don't worry, you won't get a bad room. There are none. All the rooms are large. Of course th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Steve P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
#13 of 175 in Cancun
Paradisus Cancun
Paradisus Cancun
#23 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Sandos Cancun Lifetyle Resort? Share your experiences!