“Miguel, you shouldn't be working in this restaurant”

The Royal Cancun All Suites Resort
Ranked #30 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed in four different hotels while we were in Mexico ( The Westin in Cancun, The Royal Cancun in Cancun, Casa Ticul in Playa del Carmen and some wonderful hotel in Valladolid the name of which I don't remember) Three of them were absolutely amazing in regards to service and food, but the fourth one - the Royal Cancun I have something to say about. Me and my boyfriend stayed in a large ocean view 2 - bedroom room(#1533). First, Wi-fi didn't work, and that was a big deal for us, because we left our phones at home and e-mail was my primary type of communication with my photographer with whom I had an appointment with, so we had to go down to the front desk all the time. Second, when we went down for breakfast, we totally forgot if it was included for us. It just because we love to travel and change hotels once in a while, but we always try to choose good ones. So, if it was included we would just eat here and spend the rest of the day somewhere else, if it is not we will go somewhere else. I've asked the host if he can call and find out for us. Just by looking at his face we understood that he didn't want to be bothered that way, and just told us to come in and have some food. I thought that maybe he didn't understand me, since we speak different languages, and asked him again. Oh, god you should've seen his face at that moment. It is a big disappointment for me that I didn't look up his name, so that I could have mentioned it here. As soon as he called front desk, he told us that it was included, so I went straight to food, took a plate and started to put it on. And at that moment I heard a loud laugh behind my back. The receptionist and a server, Miguel were giggling about something and talking something in Spanish. That was the most humiliating moment in my life. I think they were laughing about us as I've told them that we won't eat here unless it is included, and then I changed my decision. My boyfriend didn't eat it, he said he didn't want to because he was sick, but I didn't believe him. I was eating my breakfast thinking about it all the time. We didn't come for breakfast next morning. We went to another very good Mexican restaurant. Miguel, none of the staff except you and the host in the restaurant was so impolite to us. You completely destroyed my first impression of this hotel.Go find another job if you don't like this one. By the way it was on August 21, 2013 at around 10 o'clock in the morning.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Elena E
Write a ReviewReviews (2,422)

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We first stayed at the Royal Cancun in 2001 and purchased a week at the Royal Sands when we were there because we fell in love with the area and the Royal Resorts. When we have gone to Cancun to stay at our Sands unit and wanted to book a 2nd week, I always try to book at the Royal Cancun because it's such a great resort. If you're looking for a party atmosphere, this isn't the place to be but if you like a nice quiet experience with great accommodations and service than you can't go wrong here. Like all of the Royal Resorts, the Royal Cancun is a great property with service you won't get at other resorts. Since we are owners we don't purchase the all-inclusive so I can't speak for that. The ocean is very calm and shallow at the beach and they have a nice children's pool which my granddaughters spent hours and hours playing in. The location is great as it's near downtown and also near the Hotel Zone malls and restaurants.

Room Tip: All rooms are 2 bedroom units with a murphy bed in the living room and I have stayed in several and...
2  Thank Mark S
Reviewed August 23, 2013

If you want a truly relaxing vacation with staff that are very accommodating, and of the Royal Resorts in Cancun is where you want to go. Very clean resort, well maintained and service is of the highest quality.

1  Thank Doc315
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My family had a great time in Cancun. The hotel zone and most of the outer areas were very well maintained for the tourist and residents. We felt very safe to walk on the sidewalk path, especially on the beach side of the hotel zone, which start from the Downtown, Cancun to the populated hotels and clubs area.
The Royal Cancun (Club International de Cancun) is not an all-inclusive hotel, unless there are some special packages that we were not aware of. The resort property was very well maintained and cleaned. The staffs are very nice. The only down side was the start of vacation, and moving on Saturday. We had requested an oceanfront view, which we were told that they could obligate when I made the reservation. When we are arrived at hotel, we were told that we had only an ocean view room. The ocean front would cost more money. When we were making the reservation, they should have told us. It would have been better, if I had the confirmation of my reservation sheet instead of email l trails requesting an ocean front and many “Yes.” We were not happy with the first room; the view of ocean was completely blocked by a building and palm trees. The front desk staff made the best effort to accommodate our request for an ocean view room.
The two pools were great for the family and children.There are signs to let people know that there is no diving, but if you built a bridge in the middle of pool, guess what kids will jump off the bridge into the pool. I took a bike a ride every morning, which the resort will lend you for one hour.
The beach was very inviting and the water very refreshing. Food and beverage are served at the pools and on the beach. You have to hand your room key for ordering and billing. The happy hour price for drink is a must do. The restaurant has a beautiful view of ocean and beach, especially at night. The menu was catered for tourist; we wish they had more traditional Mexican/Latin food. We really wanted a good meal with rice, chicken, beef stew or a better selection of seafood. I would recommend going to the restaurant at least once in the day time and at night. We really enjoy the take-out/room service menu. The whole roast chicken, fried chicken, refried beans, homemade salsa sauce and rice were very good and full of favor. Since this was a first trip to Cancun, we just wanted to enjoy the resort and take in the local stores and markets. I would recommend first to visit Wal-Mart or the local supermarket (with great pastries at Chedraui) to purchase a week supply of bottle water and essential food items. The market at Royal Cancun was convenient, but you are paying double the price.
We had a two bedroom and bath villa. The kitchen had all the supplies (salt and pepper) that a family would need to make a meal. The room was very comfortable with enough room for family of four, with a murphy bed for additional two people. The balcony was a pleasant at night, during the day it was too hot to stay out.
We went to supermarket 28, which is gallery of flea market booths and outdoor restaurants. The restaurants’ staff hustles to get customer to their place. We saw a staff person from another restaurant steal a family to eat at their place. The experience was interesting, again expected more for the menu item. Overall Cancun is a wonderful vacation destination. We will definitely be back to Cancun and Royal Resort.

1  Thank ecoshape
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel, located on the old part of the hotels zone. The stuff is ok, nothing special..
Very good hotel for families, but I'm sure that there are better places for couples or young people. Rooms are new and very comfortable and clean

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank idanh79
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Beautiful place, and so relaxing. The restaurant has great food and the service is great. We stayed on the 5th floor in a two story flat and had a gorgeous view of the ocean and pool! And enjoyable to visit the sister resorts as well!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Travel4JW
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We have traveled to many place, and stayed at many major resorts. I have to say that of all the places we have stayed, you get more for your money in terms of room quality and quality than vast majority of the rooms I have stayed at. For less than $200 per night, this place beats the reef in atlantis hands down!!! Rooms much bigger and nicer. The grounds, including the pool area is just as nice as Atlantis. The staff is just as friendly and helpful. Only one restaurant, but very good for the price!! BUT, as a business owner that does a lot of "work and vacations", I would have to say that them not taking American Express is a major flaw. In fact, they were complaining when we were here that they are at very low capacity. I would not doubt it if this is a reason many won't stay here. Those of you who are business owners, such as Physicians like myself with a private practice, know what I am talking about. VISA and MASTERCARD are really not "business friendly" cards. Here is an example. I tried using my MASTERCARD and it got declined. The typical, they didn't know I was in Cancun. It's embarrassing to have your card turned down, not to mention shocking!! I thought someone had stolen my identity. I looked up the balance and it was fine!! Twice I had to call and tell them that I was in Cancun. In contrast, I did use the American Express at a local restaurant. They sent me a text warning, I responded that it was me, and all was fine. Wasn't embarrassed.

If any of the top Administrators are reading this post, do yourself a favor and start taking American Express. One of the front desk workers told me that they pay late. Welcome to the club!! How would like to be Physician like myself, have to rely on Insurance payments that can take months At least Amex will pay you in a month. Maybe if you took Amex, you wouldn't be at the low capacity you were in while I was here!!

Room Tip: Call VISA or MASTERCARD if your going to stay here and tell them the exact days you will be here. I...
2  Thank Felix B