We enjoyed the Royal Cancun very much. We plan to return again in the future. We had a 2-bedroom beach front unit with full kitchen and "great room". Quite roomy for 2 people. Maid service excellent, she even washed or dried the dishes and put them away after we had run the dishwasher! Staff was very friendly (trained); even if they were busy when you walked by they would stop and greet you.
I had read the Trip Advisor reviews b4 we went, so I knew pretty much what to expect, except there were conflicting opinions about some things, so I'll address those:
We had no problem with our Concierge pestering us. We saw him for 5 minutes when we arrived, never needed to request any help from him; we're pretty independent travelers and had been to Cancun before. He wanted us to talk to a timeshare salesman, which we did for about 15 minutes, told him we weren't interested in buying, and weren't bothered again.
As to the little grocery store on site, we found the convenience outweighed the price differential. We made one bus trip to Walmart for groceries,and the prices we compared were about 30% lower at Walmart. Walmart has much more variety, of course, like 10 kinds of hot peppers and at least 50 kinds of fish. We only bought groceries for breakfasts and lunches, some adult beverages, but if you were going to cook dinners in your unit or feed a group, maybe then repeated Walmart excursions would be worth the trip.
As to the Palapa restaurant, we liked it. We had a meal at Royal Sands and Royal Islander, and had the rest of our dinners at the R. Cancun. It is a casual restaurant, a big grass-roofed structure with open sides, except when windy or cool when they dropped down plastic around the sides and then it was like a big tent. As to prices, you could have a number of dishes on the menu for under $10, such as fajitas, tacos, fish sandwich, generous helpings. They do have entrees in the $20-$30 range also. I had a $30 lobster one night which was excellent. My favorite meal was on Pasta/Seafood night, where they had a cooking station where you picked what seafood you wanted, whcih vegetables, pasta, and sauces, and they cooked it in front of you in about 4 minutes--wonderful--I went back for a second helping of a different mix of ingredients.
If you don't want to swim in the turtle grass, you could walk 50 yards down the beach (all beaches are public and owned by the government) and swim in front of that resort where there wasn't turtle grass. The two pools on property were warmer than the sea anyway and were never crowded at all.
We spent most of our time on the property, we did use their free 21-speed bicycles on the nice flat bike path that goes 4.5 kilometers each direction in front of the hotel, and we also found it an interesting diversion to take the ferry to Isla Mujeres. There are also tennis courts, and you can use their snorkel equipment for free.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Cancun(R) All-Suites Resort has breathtaking views, friendly staff and a beautiful beach surrounded by palm trees make this a perfect place for a getaway with the family. The Royal Cancun(R) is located on a privileged beach surrounded by beauty, turquoise colors and a relaxing atmosphere. Mellow down with the sound of palm trees moving with the ocean breeze and have a taste of the Old Mexico and our revered family traditions. Enjoy our fine dining, activities and many other amenities with the All-Inclusive package. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Splitty, Agoda, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Royal Cancun All Suites Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Royal Cancun Hotel Cancun
- International Hotel Cancun
- Club International Cancun
- International Resort Cancun
- International Club Cancun