“Great for Families!!! Sad that it's going All Inclusive”

The Royal Cancun All Suites Resort
Ranked #29 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We traded in our time share via Interval International and chose to stay at this place for a few reasons.
We stayed for 1 week in a 2 bedroom 1 bath villa and it met all expectations.

Short Details:
Great for families or couples wanting more quiet space. No waves, no turquoise water because the island brakes the waves. Free internet, but not fast. 1 restaurant that's average. Easy to get into town. Going all inclusive this year, so be prepared for additional daily charges.

Long Details:
This is a slightly older hotel that was purchased by Royal Resorts to add to their chain in Cancun. It faces the Isla Mujeres which totally brakes all the waves and the ocean is very calm. This is GREAT for kids who just want to play in the warm water or snorkel in chest deep water. But because of this you will not have that awesome light blue looking water, nor any waves to body surf on. If you want that you need to stay on the east strip of Cancun that faces the ocean directly.

The service is average to great. There are some superstars who work here, but a good portion is just average.

You will be hit with a presentation invite on the second or third day disguised as a meet and greet for coffee. Within 3 minutes we realized where the discussion was heading and firmly but politely said no thanks and they professionally stopped and asked if there were any tours or travel plans they could help with. We were out of the office 10 min later after setting up a tour we wanted to go on. So if you're firm but polite they will stop the pitch and get back to your vacation plans.

There is only 1 restaurant, and it's just ok. Prices are high so we only ate there 2 times. Just take a taxi to Chatrui (Mexican Market) or Wal-Mart and buy food and drinks for the week. You will save a lot of $$ by just making food in the rooms.
However, we were told by the staff that all the Royal Resorts were going to all inclusive and the fee was going to be $100+ per day per person. While I'm sure they have crunched their numbers and think this is a good business move, my family won't be coming back. One of the reasons we like staying at these places is we can save $$ by using the in villa kitchen, especially when a lot of the family comes on vacation. Since there is only 1 place to eat on site I think this is a poor decision and they're going to lose a lot of the family business because the food is just average and kids don't drink, so $100 per day is a rip off.
Plus, if you want to opt out of the all inclusive, you have to have an ownership stake in the resort itself. So you have to buy in to opt out. Suck.

Since this place is located on the north side of the strip and is a little older we had the ocean and beach all to ourselves. This part was awesome. If you come here in the off season it's totally chill.
If you're looking for more of a party atmosphere or a place that's a little more modern with more places to eat I suggest the Royal Sands or Islander.

There is a free shuttle every other hour to the Royal Sands where you can also catch shuttles to the other Royal Resorts. This was nice as we were able to go and eat and use the beach/pools at the other resorts in the chain without actually staying there.

If you have kids ask about the Sea Turtle release. The kids get to help the researchers release newly hatched baby sea turtles into the water so they are protected from birds and other predators. This is one of those once in a lifetime moments for the kids.

Conclusion:
While smaller and older than the other places in the Royal Resort chain, it was awesome to stay here with the family. Everything was nice and chill, totally quiet and private in the off season. The calm ocean was perfect for the kids. But with the change to all inclusive we probably won't be coming back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ThomperYT
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Community Manager at The Royal Cancun All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking a moment of your valuable time to write your review. Your comments are very important and help us serve you better.

I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Royal Cancun and that you had the opportunity to visit our other resorts and also take part in the wonderful experience that is the Royal Resorts Sea Turtle Protection Program. Just one clarification: The Royal Cancun wasn't bought, it is actually the first resort we built and opened in Cancun.

I'd also like to comment on our All-Inclusive packages, which will be implemented at sister resorts The Royal Sands and The Royal Mayan:

Royal Resorts will be launching the REFINE All-Inclusive plan at two of its six resorts starting October 27, 2012 in an effort to give our guests an even better vacation experience by offering food, beverages, entertainment and more at the best value possible. This program was introduced in order to offer visitors a packaged vacation with everything they need without the hassle of planning. While we understand it may not be what everyone is looking for, it is certainly an appealing offering for many families and we have received very positive feedback from future guests that are excited to be able to enjoy them.

Please keep in mind that Royal Resorts will continue to offer options for everyone. The Royal Cancun, The Royal Mayan, The Royal Caribbean and The Royal Islander continue to be European plan and offer the same quality lodging, beaches and service that you have come to enjoy from Royal Resorts.

Having said this, I do hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Best regards from Cancun,
Camilo Olea

Write a ReviewReviews (2,461)

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Having heard mixed reports on Cancun we were a little dubious as to what lay ahead for us . We didnt need to worry , as we arrived at our accomodation we were instantly impressed . The arrival area , reception and overall facilities were all excellent . Add to this the friendly and caring staff and the immaculate accommodation and grounds it is clear to see why this resort is held in high esteem by all who stay there . If i were trying to find a negative then it has to be the wheels on the trolleys used by the staff . The wheels are made from iron and van be heard from a long way off . It does wake you early in the morning or if people are checking in or out at late or early times . This apart i would thoroughly recommend staying here and would return without question .

Room Tip: Block B facing one of the pools and beach .
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2ball
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I just wanted to go there for 5 days and relax, since I was going there with 2 other friends we decided to look for a hotel with two bedrooms instead of booking two separate rooms. Let me tell you. The hotel is Impeccable. They keep it in very very clean and spotless. The staff there were very friendly and helpful. The condo is very nice and comfortable. It has two pool; one for families (kids) and one for adults only so if you really want to relax this is the place. It was very tranquil just what I wanted. The beach is like a pool and NO waves so it is perfect for kids. People say the beach was dirty but let me tell you is NOT dirt, it is seaweed and nothing wrong with that, but there are some areas where there is sand only and let me tell you it is like pool. Bring googles or you can use from property because the snorkeling there is good not great nor perfect but good to do something fun. I never ate there since I prefer to try the local restaurants but I had a few drinks from bar and let me tell you they said it was happy hour and I don't see the happy of it. They were rather expensive so BYO drinks and make them at your own leisure. Rooms are nice, comfortable and the air conditioning works really good. People says need updating? YES maybe the kitchen but that is minor, do you really spend you vacation in the kitchen? NOT ME for sure. Last but not least if you really love the waves and ocean by all means this is NOT the place for you, find something by the open sea but if you prefer quiet nice and calm waters this is really nice. I would stay here again and again and again. Nice place for families.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank world_traveler
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I went here for a wedding about a moth ago...Very nice place. I shared a condo with a few other girls. Condo had 2 balconies and a kitchen. The food was so good! And not too expensive either. The only down fall was this hotel is on the "bay" and not the sea. So the beach was rather dirty and no waves at all. The hotels on the sea are much nicer if your looking for a beach place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank ckm76
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I had trouble deciding between 3 and 4 stars. We stayed here for two weeks and the resort is lovely. The employees are the nicest of anywhere I've ever stayed. The rooms are impeccably clean. The only drawbacks that I found here were,
1- The food is horrible and expensive. I never liked one thing I ordered in their restaurant
2- Drinks are a bit pricy for Cancun. But since you have a full kitchen you can bring your own if youwant to trek from beach or pool to room
3-It's a timeshare and they are going to try to gt you to a presentation. Although I successfully avoide it. I was staying with a longtime owner
4- It is totally for families only. We had a group of about 35 adults staying there. No kids. We are all in the 50ish age range. We were told to be quiet so many times I thought it was insane. Everytime our group was at the pool bar the security would start hovering. I'm not a partier but this is Mexico. Nothing there ever seemed offensive to me. Yes, we got a little loud, but it was always early. They close the whole thing down by 10PM. Which is way too early for me.
All in all though I did like it. The massage on the beach was so amazing I was like an addict running out there everyday.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice. I would definitely get an oceanfront if possible
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Guytanofromvegasbaby
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I'll be straightforward and tell you that we came here for a few days after staying at the Royal Haciendas in Playa del Carmen. And boy we were really let down! The Royal property in Playa is so new and immaculate that this resort was like taking a huge step down.

That said, if we had gone here first I'm sure we would have been perfectly happy.

This resort is pretty quiet. Older vacationers who seem to have been coming for years and families. Great for families because of the villas and kid-friendly pools. Would not recommend for singles or couples. It's just not that type of scene.

The things I didn't like:
-The beach: Not even inviting. Tons and tons of seagrass and rocks. Yuck.
-Rooms were a bit dated. Yes, flat screen tvs have been added. The rooms are STILL dated.
-Weak, weak Wi-Fi. Royal Resorts must take this more seriously. No signal in the rooms and strong signal on the beach??

Things I loved:
-The food was really good here! Don't miss the ceviche from the beach menu or a lobster tail from the restaurant. Fantastic.
-The service/staff
-The Sunday night beach party. Very fun.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank fashionistamommy
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stay there every year and love it even more each time.It is spotless and everyone that works there never goes by you without saying hello.It is very safe with secutiry on duty 24/7. Fun for the whole family and you will meet people from all over the world or people that live in the same area that you do. You can use the free shuttle to the other five sister resorts and spend the day in a different atmosphere. Some of the resorts have huge waves, others' are on the lagoon side, with so much to do, day and night. We always love to let the sea turtles back into the sea as soon as they are out of their shells'. The restaurants in each resort is second to none for the great food and wonderful service. I really can't say enough about the Royal Cancun. Once you have gone there, you can't wait to go back and hear "welcome home" from the friendly staff.

Room Tip: rooms facing the pool are very nice
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends