“We had a great time”

The Royal Cancun All Suites Resort
Ranked #27 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 28, 2008

I was able to use a friends Interval get a way and since it was done at last minute was given Club International as a choice. We had been to Cancun before and enjoyed it so we took it. My husband and I were there from the 19-26. We were supposed to have a 2 bedroom 2bathroom, but when we got there we were told that there were none available. We were bummed as we had just invited another couple to join us because of the 2b 2b arrangement. It all worked out and we managed a 2b 1b fine. They did upgrade our room so that we overlooked the pool and were able to see ocean.
We really enjoyed our visit. We talked to a lot of people around the site and on the beach who travel there every year. I figured they would know the best places to eat. We ate at some really great places. Paricos (fun with Mariachi Band and Mexican food), La Perilla (the grill) Mariachi Band and Mexican food, these seemed to have a lot of locals. We also had an exceptional meal at the Royal Mayan at El Conquistador. Reservations needed but worth it. Not that expensive. We had Steak diane that was exceptional, a fillet that my friend said was the best she had ever had, tequilla shrimp and seafood pasta as well as the portabella mushroom and shrimp soup that were all highly recommended. We also ate at CI Palapa and lunch at the Sands. Also ate at the Captain Hooks, We tried but the day we had left was not available to take a shuttle into Playa de Carmen for a day at the new royal resort, The Royal Hacienda. Great time. CI more laid back than the other royals. Will be closing for several months for some internal renovating including heating the pools. We ended up buying a CD of Mexican music as radio only got American music or talk. The staff were amazing, someone always working on cleaning something.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 2shirley

Reviewed January 21, 2008

My fiance and I just returned from the Royal Internation Club de Cancun after a week long stay. This resort is truely special. I'm 32 and my fiance is 27. We goto Cancun every January and have stayed at a variety of resorts both all-inclusive and not all-inclusive. We are more laid back people and prefer time on the beach to loud nightclubs. This is not an all-inclusive resort.

First off, the resort is all villa's. We stayed in a 2bedroom 1bath villa which included a kitchen, dining, and family sitting area. We managed to get a beachfront villa on the first floor in which we could walk out to the beach in less than no time. The kitchen was fully stocked w/ pots & pans, plates, glasses, silverware, and just about anything else you can image. Blender, coffeemaker, automatic dishwasher, microwave, and a oven w/ range! I believe the majority of people who stay here are owners thus the need for all the basics.

The master bedroom had a queen size bed and a TV which included several english channels. The 2nd bedroom, had 2 twin beds and a sink. No TV in 2nd bedroom. The main living area had a round glass dinner table w/ 6 chairs, a sofa, TV, DVD player, and Cd-player. There was also a murphy bed which could be pulled out from the wall for extrra sleeping space. It looked to be a full or queen size bed. The main room had a ceiling fan and the unit had A/C with a thermostat on the wall which allowed temp to easily be selected. The one thing that really stood out for me was how quiet the unit was. Generally in resort rooms I can hear doors closing, people walking upstairs, or staff members carts making noise. I didn't hear a peep during our entire week long stay!

The resort itself is 30yrs old and celebrating that anniversary this year. Nothing about this place seemed to be old at all. The grounds, gardens, pools, and beach were emaculate. In fact my villa was so clean I would have a hard time picking out any problems. Even the caulk in the bathtub was pristine!

The resort has a small convient store which sold produce and all the essentials needed for a stay. You could probably get better prices at the Walmart in town but we decided to keep it simple. The resort only has 1 resteraunt and the menu is a bit limited but the food is priced reasonably and the view and staff are amazing. We ate at the resort at least once a day and headed to the hotel zone main drag when we didn't want to eat at the hotel.

The beach itself was nice and because the resort is so big, there is alot of it. We never had a problem finding room or getting a chair. In fact, there were a ton of open beach chairs and room to have a private section all to yourself.

The staff was very helpful and pleasant. I've found most resort staffers in other hotels are helpful and pleasant, but at VCI (nickname for this resort) they really went above and beyond. Everyone spoke very good english and we never had a problem w/ them not understanding. Even the maids spoke perfect english which made us feel at ease. Most staffers had been w/ the resort for several years. On avg, I'd say 10yrs each. Some for 30yrs! They are treated well by the owners thus are happy people. We loved this hotel and paid $170 per night!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank kidcancun
Reviewed December 11, 2007

After A Long Day Of Travel We Arrived Late On A Saturday Night. We Arrived To A Somewhat Average Entrance To The Property After Being Taxied Through The Core Of Cancun’s Hotel Zone With Several Newer Properties That Have Been Built On A Grand Scale. We Where Greeted By The Staff “Welcome Home”. Excited To Be Here After Reading Several Trip Advisor Reviews That Seemed Positive About This Particular Property, We Felt The Trip Advisor Reviews Might Be Right. This Place Was Perfect For Us. We Intended To Cook Our Own Breakfasts So We Could Relax In The Mornings And Go For A Swim Outside Our Room, The Units Provide Well Equipped Kitchens For Just That, If You Desire. We Felt The All-Inclusive Resorts To Be Limiting And Offered A Great Opportunity To Overeat! For This Vci Was Perfect, It Also Was Located At The End Of The Hotel Zone And Offered A Nice Beach With Level Waters. The Rooms Had No Flat Screen TV’s, No Granite, Marble Or All Inclusive Features, But Seemed Perfectly Like Home To Us!. Beautiful Grounds, Amazing White Sand Beach And Extra Attentive Staff That Went Beyond In All Aspects To Make Us As Comfortable As Possible. We Ventured Out But Looked Forward To Rearriving At Our Accommodations EVERY Night. The Staff Organized Volleyball Games And Had Plenty Of Activities Going On At The Property As Well, The Lighted Tennis Courts Were Well Kept. We Will Be Excited To Try And Return After The Properties Renovation In 2008. (See Our Posted Photos)

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank ginamay23
Reviewed August 27, 2007

I had mixed feelings about this hotel after reading the reviews. Since I was joining the rest of my relatives who were booked in this hotel, I had no choice. Before we went, we saw the news forecast that Hurricane Dean, a CAT 5 hurricane, would make a landfall over the Yucatan. I called the hotel and they assured us that they were experienced with preparations for hurricanes, they also gave us the option to reschedule for another week without us asking which I thought was a very nice touch. Anyway, we went ahead and came over Saturday, with Dean coming in on Monday night. Well, the hotel was absolutely well prepared. They gave us three directives during the couple of days before the hurricane, which were very reassuring. They taped all the windows, secured the trees and roofs, removed any loose items (swimming pool benches, parking lot lights, etc.). When Dean came, it was during the night and we came out unscathed, no damage to the facility. Then it was back to normal immediately. The hotel cleaned up so fast, we were swimming in both of their pools by noon time. Other resorts we visited in the afternoon were still cleaning up.
The accommodations were perfect for our group. We had a total of 9 people. The concierge, Michelle, was absolutely helpful. She even called our room to give us an update on our planned excursions. We were also given excellent advise by the Thomas Moore travel rep, Miguel, which saved us quite a bit and our trips turned up to be better than expected. We hired a van and driver, Antonio Ortega, for our entire week of trips. That was the best deal we made. Antonio was excellent. He was on time, gave us directions about the place we were visiting, stayed with us the whole time (we even asked him to join us for a birthday luncheon for my son at Playa del Carmen, which was not part of the trip but Antonio was very accommodating), never complained, never showed any negatives. We were very pleased with him. If you plan on any group trips, contact these guys and get Antonio! You will be happy you did.
The place, as reviewers mentioned, is away from the main strip of big hotels, but not too far from the action. It was a 5 minute bus ride to the center of town (where Hooters, Hard rock, etc are located). Unlike those other hotels, this one is quiet, which is what I prefer. I do miss the Carribean side with the ocean waves, but its ok cuz we were able to use the Royal Sands on the ocean side since this hotel is part of the Royal Resorts chain and they allow use of all their hotels as long as you have your key card. The beds were ok. I've been all over the world, and this place is amazingly clean compared to the bigger hotels. The kitchen was functional, complete, and clean. Our rooms were supposed to be cleaned once, but they did it 3 times without our asking.
The one drawback is the TV. It is quite small, but we never stayed much in the room to watch anyway. Another drawback was the noise when the A/C came on. It did not bother me but it did the rest of our group. Other than these, it is an excellent place. I highly recommend and would go back any time. Don't forget to hire Antonio, our tour driver.

• Stayed: August 2007
10  Thank palayas
Reviewed August 16, 2007

We traded through Interval for a week at VCI and had a great time! Cancun had so much to offer and the concierges at VCI were really helpful in making sure we were able to experience everything!
Our first morning started with a welcome breakfast of sweet breads and coffee. The staff welcomed us and shared some of the activites available and then Erica, our concierge, came over and helped us decided what to book and shared prices. We decided on the Wave Runner and an Express Trip to Chichen Itza. She also made our reservations at the Spa for massages and had recommendations on different trips that we might enjoy. That afternoon she had envelopes at the Beach Party with all of our reservations and information. The beach party had free beverages and we even won a pizza (door prizes were awarded at many of the events!).
The great thing about VCI is that it is a part of the Royal Resorts, of which there are 4-5 in Cancun. We were able to take a shuttle to the Royal Sands, where the Spa was and we could sit on their beach and use their facilities. The Spa was AMAZING. It had an aroma room, steam room, and whirlpool. There were also showers, which was great because we spent an hour on the beach before we went in for our massages.
The beach at VCI was very tame but beautiful. Not many waves but the sand never grew hot and there were plenty of palapas to sit under and really nice lounge chairs. We used the beach at the Royal Sands one afternoon and there were many more waves! It was the day before TS Erin travelled to Texas, so I think that kicked up the waves a bit extra.
We enjoyed the trip to Chichen Itza. We did the Express Trip which was cheaper. The van picked us up early and we ate breakfast along the way. Then we spent about two hours exploring the ruins. A guide came along with us and provided tons of info during the drive and upon our arrival. We stopped for some shopping on the way back and returned to the hotel by 4 (we ran late b/c of rain). The Deluxe trip takes all day, apparently because they stop for shopping along the way and way back.
The WaveRunner snorkeling trip is only for the adventurous! I was scared beyond belief- two people to a JetSki and the waves were really kicking up. It was a yellow flag day on the beach, which meant be cautious, and we were in the middle of the Ocean! I did not snorkle b/c the waves were very high and we had to swim diagonal against the current, which was difficult. Of the 7 people, only 2 stayed out in the water and really enjoyed snorkling. I think it would have been better off of a boat in less wavy conditions...
Tons of great restaurants and the Royal Resorts offer a discount at many. We had lunch and margaritas at La Destileria (FABULOUS! Great food and very smooth margaritas- they had 150 different kinds of tequila. Def. recommed the passion fruit margarita!) where we had a 10-15 percent discount. Also had discount at Crab House by the Marriott but food wasn't too special for the price and the margaritas were poor quality.
We are looking forward to spending another week in Cancun in the future. If we had the money, we would probably have purchased a week, even though there wasn't any sales pressure at all to do so! So much to do and the VCI made sure you were happy. Oh! Also had a Taco party for lunch one day and margaritas/pina coladas one evening for the guests.
** Reserve Thomas Moore online for airport transfers. Have a special van that brings you to the Royal Resorts and it is easier than figuring out taxis when you get to Cancun. After waiting two-three hours at customs to enter the country, we were very happy to just be able to board our van and start our vacation!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank meagkeb
Reviewed July 22, 2007

My family and I stayed at VCI from July 13-July20th. We were dissapointed when we arrived as we got a room that had loud traffic and a terrible view, but two days later they changed our room to a better room with no loud noise. The grounds are immaculate and the service people are very pleasant. We had no complaints about them. We ate a couple mornings and nights at the Palapa Restaurant and we were very pleased with the food although a little pricey. One compaint is that by the afternoon the pools are quite warm and I think that is not within their reach as the temperatures were quite warm. Overall, we loved the place and location. It is close to the 'centro' and relatively close to "Punta Cancun" where all the night entertainment is. We would definately recommend the Royal Resorts to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank ana101876
Reviewed July 17, 2007

My family and I, which included 4 adults, and 3 children ages, 2-12, stayed at VCI on an exchange from Interval International from June 9th-16th. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa. As we entered our villa, a crib with sheets and a pillow was waiting for us already, which we didn't even mention at the front desk.

The resort is clean and well taken care of, a little outdated, but it is 30 years old already. There are 2 pools, one with a more shallow "kiddie" pool, the other with a swim up bar.

The kids loved the beach area as the water is very shallow. A lot of seaweed though washed up on shore, which they did try to clean every morning, but couldn't keep up with it.

Defintely try to take advantage of the "On Beach Massage" provided by two massage therapists from the Royal Sands Spa. They provided massages under a tent on the beach for $1 per minute.

There is the La Palapa Restaurant adjacent to the "adult pool" which has great food, especially the Breakfast Buffet. In addition, they now have the "VCI Express" which is take-out food consisting of a variety of foods, such as Pizza, Sushi Rolls, soups, Lasagna, Fried Chicken, Fruit salad, and a variety of Pies. We ordered sushi 3 days in a row.

One night during the week, VCI celebrates their 30th Anniversary with an Anniversary Party in the La Palapa Restaurant. It features a band, Mexican buffet, and Fireworks. Nice for the kids. On other nights there are "theme nights" as well at the La Palapa.

There was an "activities coordinator" at VCI who visited us about 3 times during our stay to tell us about the "Welcome Breakfast" and other activites that were going on at the resort, however we were not bothered by any other people or phone calls to attend timeshares purchasing events. Another writer mentioned the resort is closed, but this is untrue. VCI/Royal Resorts is currently celebrating a "30 year Anniversary". In Mexico, timeshare resorts are only good for 30 years/30 years mortage, so to speak. VCI has been renewed for another 30 years and I don't believe was bought by someone else. It will remain VCI for another 30 years.

One thing that I was alittle disappointed with was our maid. With 3 kids and 4 adults staying in the 2 bedroom villa, we got the carpet dirty with crumbs and the kitchen table dirty with sticky fingers and such. The carpets were never vacuumed. I asked her to clean the carpet one day, and she swept the crumbs off rather than vacuumed them. The table I cleaned with soap and water, but it needed a good windexing.

Overall, I would recommend VCI,, but not our maid.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family