2,774 results
All reviewspalapa restauranttime sharesports deskfull kitchenfree shuttlemurphy bedthomas moorehacienda sisalcaptain's covela trattoriacalm watersall inclusive packagemaster bedroomroom cardpersonal conciergetennis courtsbig waves
Reviewed August 27, 2007

I had mixed feelings about this hotel after reading the reviews. Since I was joining the rest of my relatives who were booked in this hotel, I had no choice. Before we went, we saw the news forecast that Hurricane Dean, a CAT 5 hurricane, would make a landfall over the Yucatan. I called the hotel and they assured us that they were experienced with preparations for hurricanes, they also gave us the option to reschedule for another week without us asking which I thought was a very nice touch. Anyway, we went ahead and came over Saturday, with Dean coming in on Monday night. Well, the hotel was absolutely well prepared. They gave us three directives during the couple of days before the hurricane, which were very reassuring. They taped all the windows, secured the trees and roofs, removed any loose items (swimming pool benches, parking lot lights, etc.). When Dean came, it was during the night and we came out unscathed, no damage to the facility. Then it was back to normal immediately. The hotel cleaned up so fast, we were swimming in both of their pools by noon time. Other resorts we visited in the afternoon were still cleaning up.
The accommodations were perfect for our group. We had a total of 9 people. The concierge, Michelle, was absolutely helpful. She even called our room to give us an update on our planned excursions. We were also given excellent advise by the Thomas Moore travel rep, Miguel, which saved us quite a bit and our trips turned up to be better than expected. We hired a van and driver, Antonio Ortega, for our entire week of trips. That was the best deal we made. Antonio was excellent. He was on time, gave us directions about the place we were visiting, stayed with us the whole time (we even asked him to join us for a birthday luncheon for my son at Playa del Carmen, which was not part of the trip but Antonio was very accommodating), never complained, never showed any negatives. We were very pleased with him. If you plan on any group trips, contact these guys and get Antonio! You will be happy you did.
The place, as reviewers mentioned, is away from the main strip of big hotels, but not too far from the action. It was a 5 minute bus ride to the center of town (where Hooters, Hard rock, etc are located). Unlike those other hotels, this one is quiet, which is what I prefer. I do miss the Carribean side with the ocean waves, but its ok cuz we were able to use the Royal Sands on the ocean side since this hotel is part of the Royal Resorts chain and they allow use of all their hotels as long as you have your key card. The beds were ok. I've been all over the world, and this place is amazingly clean compared to the bigger hotels. The kitchen was functional, complete, and clean. Our rooms were supposed to be cleaned once, but they did it 3 times without our asking.
The one drawback is the TV. It is quite small, but we never stayed much in the room to watch anyway. Another drawback was the noise when the A/C came on. It did not bother me but it did the rest of our group. Other than these, it is an excellent place. I highly recommend and would go back any time. Don't forget to hire Antonio, our tour driver.

• Stayed: August 2007
10  Thank palayas
Reviewed August 16, 2007

We traded through Interval for a week at VCI and had a great time! Cancun had so much to offer and the concierges at VCI were really helpful in making sure we were able to experience everything!
Our first morning started with a welcome breakfast of sweet breads and coffee. The staff welcomed us and shared some of the activites available and then Erica, our concierge, came over and helped us decided what to book and shared prices. We decided on the Wave Runner and an Express Trip to Chichen Itza. She also made our reservations at the Spa for massages and had recommendations on different trips that we might enjoy. That afternoon she had envelopes at the Beach Party with all of our reservations and information. The beach party had free beverages and we even won a pizza (door prizes were awarded at many of the events!).
The great thing about VCI is that it is a part of the Royal Resorts, of which there are 4-5 in Cancun. We were able to take a shuttle to the Royal Sands, where the Spa was and we could sit on their beach and use their facilities. The Spa was AMAZING. It had an aroma room, steam room, and whirlpool. There were also showers, which was great because we spent an hour on the beach before we went in for our massages.
The beach at VCI was very tame but beautiful. Not many waves but the sand never grew hot and there were plenty of palapas to sit under and really nice lounge chairs. We used the beach at the Royal Sands one afternoon and there were many more waves! It was the day before TS Erin travelled to Texas, so I think that kicked up the waves a bit extra.
We enjoyed the trip to Chichen Itza. We did the Express Trip which was cheaper. The van picked us up early and we ate breakfast along the way. Then we spent about two hours exploring the ruins. A guide came along with us and provided tons of info during the drive and upon our arrival. We stopped for some shopping on the way back and returned to the hotel by 4 (we ran late b/c of rain). The Deluxe trip takes all day, apparently because they stop for shopping along the way and way back.
The WaveRunner snorkeling trip is only for the adventurous! I was scared beyond belief- two people to a JetSki and the waves were really kicking up. It was a yellow flag day on the beach, which meant be cautious, and we were in the middle of the Ocean! I did not snorkle b/c the waves were very high and we had to swim diagonal against the current, which was difficult. Of the 7 people, only 2 stayed out in the water and really enjoyed snorkling. I think it would have been better off of a boat in less wavy conditions...
Tons of great restaurants and the Royal Resorts offer a discount at many. We had lunch and margaritas at La Destileria (FABULOUS! Great food and very smooth margaritas- they had 150 different kinds of tequila. Def. recommed the passion fruit margarita!) where we had a 10-15 percent discount. Also had discount at Crab House by the Marriott but food wasn't too special for the price and the margaritas were poor quality.
We are looking forward to spending another week in Cancun in the future. If we had the money, we would probably have purchased a week, even though there wasn't any sales pressure at all to do so! So much to do and the VCI made sure you were happy. Oh! Also had a Taco party for lunch one day and margaritas/pina coladas one evening for the guests.
** Reserve Thomas Moore online for airport transfers. Have a special van that brings you to the Royal Resorts and it is easier than figuring out taxis when you get to Cancun. After waiting two-three hours at customs to enter the country, we were very happy to just be able to board our van and start our vacation!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank meagkeb
Reviewed July 22, 2007

My family and I stayed at VCI from July 13-July20th. We were dissapointed when we arrived as we got a room that had loud traffic and a terrible view, but two days later they changed our room to a better room with no loud noise. The grounds are immaculate and the service people are very pleasant. We had no complaints about them. We ate a couple mornings and nights at the Palapa Restaurant and we were very pleased with the food although a little pricey. One compaint is that by the afternoon the pools are quite warm and I think that is not within their reach as the temperatures were quite warm. Overall, we loved the place and location. It is close to the 'centro' and relatively close to "Punta Cancun" where all the night entertainment is. We would definately recommend the Royal Resorts to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank ana101876
Reviewed July 17, 2007

My family and I, which included 4 adults, and 3 children ages, 2-12, stayed at VCI on an exchange from Interval International from June 9th-16th. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa. As we entered our villa, a crib with sheets and a pillow was waiting for us already, which we didn't even mention at the front desk.

The resort is clean and well taken care of, a little outdated, but it is 30 years old already. There are 2 pools, one with a more shallow "kiddie" pool, the other with a swim up bar.

The kids loved the beach area as the water is very shallow. A lot of seaweed though washed up on shore, which they did try to clean every morning, but couldn't keep up with it.

Defintely try to take advantage of the "On Beach Massage" provided by two massage therapists from the Royal Sands Spa. They provided massages under a tent on the beach for $1 per minute.

There is the La Palapa Restaurant adjacent to the "adult pool" which has great food, especially the Breakfast Buffet. In addition, they now have the "VCI Express" which is take-out food consisting of a variety of foods, such as Pizza, Sushi Rolls, soups, Lasagna, Fried Chicken, Fruit salad, and a variety of Pies. We ordered sushi 3 days in a row.

One night during the week, VCI celebrates their 30th Anniversary with an Anniversary Party in the La Palapa Restaurant. It features a band, Mexican buffet, and Fireworks. Nice for the kids. On other nights there are "theme nights" as well at the La Palapa.

There was an "activities coordinator" at VCI who visited us about 3 times during our stay to tell us about the "Welcome Breakfast" and other activites that were going on at the resort, however we were not bothered by any other people or phone calls to attend timeshares purchasing events. Another writer mentioned the resort is closed, but this is untrue. VCI/Royal Resorts is currently celebrating a "30 year Anniversary". In Mexico, timeshare resorts are only good for 30 years/30 years mortage, so to speak. VCI has been renewed for another 30 years and I don't believe was bought by someone else. It will remain VCI for another 30 years.

One thing that I was alittle disappointed with was our maid. With 3 kids and 4 adults staying in the 2 bedroom villa, we got the carpet dirty with crumbs and the kitchen table dirty with sticky fingers and such. The carpets were never vacuumed. I asked her to clean the carpet one day, and she swept the crumbs off rather than vacuumed them. The table I cleaned with soap and water, but it needed a good windexing.

Overall, I would recommend VCI,, but not our maid.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank ThreeBees
Reviewed July 12, 2007

I stayed at Club International in October 2004. The facility is very clean and the staff were friendly. The Pool had a good design w/ a restuarant & bar connecting to it. I didn't like the beach it was located on it was almost in a bay area with no waves. And it wasn't as clean and pristine as the other hotels. You can drive up the street to some of the other beachs and use them. I would stay here again. Enjoyed it.

• Stayed: October 2004, traveled with friends