“Great family resort with lots of extras”

Sunset Royal Beach Resort
Ranked #50 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Texas
“Great family resort with lots of extras”
Reviewed June 15, 2007

First of all, I must say that we just arrived from our 7 day family vacation and all had a wonderful time! My husband, kids (11 & 8) and I stayed in Cancun at the Royal Sunset, what a great vacation!
From the moment we arrived we were treated with royalty, as well as through our entire stay. We are RCI members and this was our first exchange and realized if this is the way you are treated as members, we have no complaints!
We checked in within a matter of minutes (the same when we checked out) and the concierge, Anna, introduced herself immediately, explaining she'd be a few minutes so we opted to go to our room. When we got to the room, extrememly clean and nice size, we found the TV not working. Oberling, (fabulous gentleman) **** for him for sending maintenance imediately with a new TV! This was the only problem in our room, at all!

As for the food & drinks with the all-inclusive, they were great as well. A must for anyone that is interested...and I found that everyone eyed it, take an insulated cup with you for drinks. The ones they provide are small and with the wind, melt quickly. We were approached often as to where we found the cups!!!
And if you are planning on staying at this resort, see Adrian at the pool bar, he is fabulous! Always found a new drink if you were in the mood for it! And believe me, he isn't shy on the amount of alcohol you are looking for!!! He is *****!!! All the waitstaff and coordinators (with the shows & activities) are so much fun and my kids will never forget them! They made each day a lot of fun and made everyone laugh a time or two. There is enough to keep you busy at the resort, but you can always enjoy the beautiful sea and sand. The water was pretty rough when we were there, always red/yellow flag, but you could still give it a try within the yellow area.
Overall, we had a wonderful experience at this resort and with everyone we met there as well. It is so much fun to go on vacation and come home with so many memories & pictures.
We probably won't stay at this resort again, but that is just because there are so many other places we want to see and do, but if you are planning to travel there, ENJOY, it is worh the $$$!!!

• Liked — The staff are awesome, location, and drinks!
  • Disliked — That there was no umbrella/shade provided on the beach
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
9 Thank combscorral

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
Michigan
Reviewed June 14, 2007

We stayed at the Sunset Royal Cancun Resort May 5-12, 2007. Before I went I read some reviews and was a little nervous about the hotel. We went with another couple and our age range is 26-37. We had a great time.

The hotel was nice. We had a two bedroom suite. When you open the hallway door you are in a foyer and there are two doors. The room on the right had a kitchen, bathroom and living room in one area and then a seperate bedroom with a king bed, bathroom and a hot tub in the bedroom. The room on the left had two double beds (we pushed them together to make a gigantic bed), a mini kitchen, a sitting area and a bathroom. Each room had it's own safe. Our rooms overlooked the pool area and ocean. It was very beautiful.

The restaurants were not the best, but good. One of the restaurants is located in the lobby that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. We really only ate breakfast there though so I'm not sure how lunch and dinner were, but breakfast was pretty good. There was another restaurant located near the elevators. They served breakfast and dinner. This is where you get the Italian dinner and the Lobster dinner. We never ate breakfast there, but the Italian dinner and Lobster dinner weren't that great. When you go to this restaurant men have to wear pants and no sandals. Women can wear anything except shorts. The lobster seemed like it had been taken out of the shell and mashed up with "fillers" and then put back in the shell. The Italian dinner and deserts were good though. There is also a buffet out by the pool. They serve nachos, hamburgers, hotdogs, french fries, onion rings, etc. You can also order room service in your room and out by the pool. It takes a little longer than going to the buffet, but I recommend this option if you don't want to leave the pool and don't want "fast food". They have really good quesadillas.

Our friends are RCA members so they had to go to a "breakfast" with a salesman. It lasted two hours and then we were never bothered again. The hotel also gave them 4 free tickets to Tulum/Xelha All inclusive for meeting with them. Over a $450.00 value as the Tulum/Xelha All Inclusive tickets are around $120.00 each.

We did go to the sister hotel The Sunset Lagoon for a day. We had massages outdoors in the morning. If you get a massage I would reccomend getting them indoors because the outdoor massages are where everyone can see you and you can hear lawn mowers going instead of waves because you are on the lagoon not the ocean. We had a really fun day at the Sunset Lagoon. We got there in the morning and got our massages. They have a swim up bar so we spend the rest of the day at the swim up bar, playing volley ball and socializing with the other people there. We met some really nice people and then for the rest of the time we were there we would see them all over the place.

We also did the Jungle Boat Tour that takes off from the Sunset Lagoon marina and went snorkeling. You get to drive your own little jet boat and follow a guide out to the reef. It was fun, but be aware that they are video taping you. I knew they were, but when we got back and saw the video I was mortified because they taped me getting up into the boat and I looked gigantic.

We didn't do a lot of night life because we were so tuckered out from laying in the sun all day, but we did go to Coco Bongo. It is like Cirque du Soleil except you don't get a seat unless you are lucky. It is pretty cool - VERY loud. It is kind of hard to get a good drink. It is $40.00 to get in and is supposed to be all inclusive, but they don't have very good liquor.

The hotel staff were very nice and helpful. They remembered our names and were a lot of fun. There were all sorts of activities around the pool - water aerobics, horse shoes, water balloon fights, volleyball, pottery painting, etc. It was very fun. Bring a lot of $1.00 bills. If you tip the servers and bartenders you get better drinks. They do remember.

There are a few umbrellas by the pool, but you have to get to the pool early. We were able to get a cabana on the beach for a couple of days and that was very nice, but we had to go down at like 8:00 a.m.

The hotel has wireless internet in the lobby, but not in the rooms.

I've tried to touch on everything that I was wondering before I went, but if you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
11 Thank nikki037
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed May 19, 2007

Where to start? This is about the Hotel, not the beautiful water/beach on Cancun. My wife and I have only been to Cancun twice but have travelled a lot. We stayed at the GR Solaris last year and this year thought we got a good deal via TravelComm, Amigo where we wrong. The hotel was average and the fancy expensive vehicles (rented or something) sitting out from to make the hotel look better... what a joke. If they'd use the money from buying/renting those cars on something else, say the quility of the food... Oh the food... We had an all inclusive plan. The pink wrist bands (non-time share owners) "marketing folks" plan. The Marketing people get the lagoon side of the hotel.. ie. parking lot and the construction from the "opera house" they are rebuilding. Choice of restaurants was slim to none. "Hey honey, we have to make reservations at this one.. must be good," I thought, "and the 'Lobster dinner' has to be ordered in advance.. can't wait". Yeah... It was a lobster alright, the shell and I kid you not...only meat in the lobster was a little over a quarter size.
The other rest. Buffets were bland and oh yeah... what you have for lunch buffet... well, you're getting it for dinner too but with maybe a different name.. like Tomato with Basil soup for lunch and for dinner.. Basil Tomato Soup..
Yeah... The room for the "marketing people" was average.. we had good AC other people we heard had bad.. so... Don't think about getting a queen or king size bed.. . remember you have the Pink Wrist band.. you ain't getting jack!..

Travel comm.. told us "you must attend the 'aproximately 90' minute meeting/tour for the time-share or you will be charge the full rate of you room" We paid extra for an "upgraded" hotel with all inclusive... not including air.. luckily my wife get's cheap tickets thru her job...
ok.. where was I.. Food,Hotel room, Hotel, ah the Time-share meeting..
If you want a time share to use... then enjoy.. but come on!!!
(mostly older couples, etc. We're in our late 30's-40's and just bought a house) First you go to the girl, she takes you to another girl who introduces you to the saleman, Paco was nice and I don't believe a word he said but seemed nice and seemed to understand, we weren't going to buy... then the breakfast meeting.. meet the boss... Oh did I say that all.. ALL of those people said so far that , It's NO obligation and NO pressure.." We told them we were told we had to go or pay the higher priced fair.. they said, Oh no that's not true" but still made us attend anyhow.. Breakfast, Tour, Meeting... Paco has no luck, calls man number two... who has no luck calls man three.... Sumo sized Mexican guy in suit who was "No pressure" then the last guy.... who started again with the no pressure crud... and give'n us more numbers... I finally cut him off and asked if he was the last if not go get the next guy.... because this "90 minute" meeting was now 3 yes 3 uno, dooseeeeeee, treeeeeeeeee... three... and a half hours long.... 3 1/2 hours long.. and we were done!!!!
Another couple said theirs was 5 hours.. so made me feel a little better.... but 7 people to say no too.. neccicito interpretay?? No means no.. Anyhow.. my review is getting to be 3 1/2 hours long so I'm done.. Spa was good though... PS. the shows were cheasy ...

• Liked — Spa/Beach/Water/Teekey hut thing near spa
  • Disliked — All the sales staff and their No obligation No pressure lies
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Letsgoonatriphoney
Michigan
Reviewed May 16, 2007

After reading review about Sunset Royal and having a negative experience with TravelComm on booking this 5 day vacation, my wife and I were pleasantly surprised by our time in Cancun. We arrived as scheduled last Thursday 5/10/07 and the sign outside the airport with my name on it was easily visible to get our ride to the Sunset. We checked in but had to wait about 1/1/2 hours before we could get into our room. We were given room 201 on lagoon side which we did not like because the side wall of the entrance stopped us from a good view. We complained and were given a room the next day on 5th. floor in middle with great views. Rooms were better than expected from reviews and
included mini fridge which was stocked each day with our all inclusive pkg. We had our presentation the next morning (3 hours) at 8:00a.m. to buy and become a member which we declined. They never bothered us again about this. The beach is beautiful and we enjoyed every day on the ocean. The weather was great and we were out there 1 -2 times per day. They have lounge chairs and towels available which we did use daily. Breakfast was very good with fruits, juices, eggs omletts, rolls etc. Lunch either outside for hamburgers etc. was ok and the buffet was also ok. I was expecting worse food and was again suprised that we had decent selection including salads.
We received our free Italian and Lobster nights. Both were very good. Each night they have entertainment with buffet that includes much dancing etc.. The staff was accomodating and very pleasant to deal with. We always tipped for drinks, eating, and baggage. We visited three malls which are very close to the hotel and walked within 10 mins to their flea market mall and discos. We felt safe at all times and used the bus .$65 each. Easy to use dollars or peso's. They want you to have a good time, spend money and come back. I've been to plenty of places where you don't feel as safe as Sunset Royal. This is a 3 star hotel that held up their end as far as we were concerned. My wife and I definitely will come back.

• Liked — Close to beach and shopping
  • Disliked — Initial room number 201 but changed to 5th floor which was great
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank troopman5073
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed April 19, 2007

We visited the Sunset Royal in Fall 2005 (? I think it was 2005), one week before the hurricane that apparently demolished a lot of beach. We unwisely attended the timeshare presentation that lasted over 5 hours and even more unwisely purchased a 10 year plan with a certain number of visits including "corporate weeks" with no maintenance fee. At the time the required all-inclusive fee was in the 60-something dollar range. We were also told (untruthfully) that we would get an ocean view 1 bedroom unless we had 4 adults, then we could have a 2 bedroom. When we called to reserve for September, the all inclusive fee is now 92 per person per day (ridiculous, we could eat at the fanciest place in town for that) and we can only have a studio, with no guarantee of an ocean view room at all (which means a 95% chance of no ocean view room unless the resort is practically empty when we go). Now, if we had 4 adults paying the ridiculous all inclusive fee they will be happy to reserve a 1 bedroom, so I know they have them available. If we were using the regular purchased weeks with the maintenance fee the contract specifically says we are entitled to any room at the resort, but we're using corporate weeks so no guarantees. I recommend you not purchase the timeshare at all, but if you do, get it IN WRITING that you get an ocean view 1 bedroom for 2 adults and an ocean view 2 bedroom for 4 adults. Don't rely on anything they tell you, get it in writing. Overall I don't recommend their timeshare because of the required all-inclusive. To put it in numbers for you, we are paying 1288 per week JUST FOR THE FOOD, which is edible, not bad but nothing to write home about.

The resort itself was pretty nice, and when we were there we didn't have any problem with the pool being overcrowded. I haven't seen the beach since the remodel, but it was pretty small when we were there. I will provide a new review after our trip in Sept, and I am trying not to go into it with a negative opinion already in place. It's just hard when they won't guarantee us an ocean view room, the sole reason I was interested in the purchase plan at all. Also the jack up in the all-inclusive price is ridiculous and unwarranted. You would think we are paying for the remodeling they had to do because of the hurricane, but they have insurance for that.

Stayed April 2007
6 Thank silkysing
iowa
Reviewed April 2, 2007

Cancun is always fun.. we stayed here even after reading all the bad reviews on this place.. We own down in Playa Del Carmen but decided to come to Cancun for a change.. It was a great decision...Obviously whomever wrote the bad things has never been on a vaction before. We found this to be a very service oriented resort and the food was good..(we even drank the water from the tap and have had no ploblems at all) The rooms were clean, our studio could use a face lift but it was still nice. The beach is nice, but gradually will need to be rebuilt again due to the "BIG WAVES" The resorts around it are being rebuilt slowly but it will be "grand" when complete.. We took the water taxi over to the Sunset Lagoon and actually seen a Crocodile in the lagoon, it was pretty cool.. (but decided not to use our snorkle gear!!) Met lots of nice people from all over and we upgraded our timeshare from the Royal Fisherman's to the Royal Sunset.. As for the landsharks (timeshare salesmen) If you don't want to buy anything just say "no thanks" and they will leave you alone.. I can't say enough good things about the people and the service it was the best we've ever had and we travel quite a bit in the Caribbean...Go and enjoy.. you won't regret it..

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — no swim up bar
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank IowaWards
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 29, 2007

We used my family's RCI week for our honeymoon in October 2006 and chose Royal Sunset like a shot in the dark. We faired pretty well. It was nothing fancy or remotely luxurious but it was "nice". So, if you are looking for "nice" go for it. If not, spring for a luxury hotel. You get what you pay for.

There are many opportunities for outings through the hotel. Sometimes, things seemed a little fake because the staff sometimes act like they are just going through the motions, just to get money out of the interaction. It left me with the feeling that their jobs are not fulfilling, that I was "just another tourist" being rounded-up onto the bus for the next stop and I therefore felt as though the experience rating was compromised.

Spring for the all-inclusive package. We felt like outsiders without it, like were the kids "from the other side of the" pool.

One couldn't ask for a more beautiful ocean view, perhaps an actual balcony - the balcony only consists of a sliding glass door, a six inch ledge and a banister.

GO SNORKELING if you never have. You get to drive your own boat, hitch it to a bunch of other boats, jump in the water and just swim. For a first time snorkeler, it was wonderful. My husband grew up on a dairy farm, so this was very very cool for him!

Our effeciency was okay. The floor felt weird because it was some type of plastic laminate tile that seemed to get sticky because of the humidity. If you cannot tolerate humidity indoors, this is not the hotel for you because the rooms seemed to be humid. There was no fan in the bathroom, only a vent. Just a tub/shower. The kitchette was nice and suitable. The "sitting furniture" was uncomfortable and ackward. Down three steps there was the bed and dresser.

If you have specific questions, I am willing to be contacted.

• Liked — The lobby was very well kept and there were always fresh flowers.
  • Disliked — Humidity inside the building, feeling unwelcomed.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple