“Better Than Expected”

Sunset Royal Beach Resort
Ranked #43 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed May 16, 2007

After reading review about Sunset Royal and having a negative experience with TravelComm on booking this 5 day vacation, my wife and I were pleasantly surprised by our time in Cancun. We arrived as scheduled last Thursday 5/10/07 and the sign outside the airport with my name on it was easily visible to get our ride to the Sunset. We checked in but had to wait about 1/1/2 hours before we could get into our room. We were given room 201 on lagoon side which we did not like because the side wall of the entrance stopped us from a good view. We complained and were given a room the next day on 5th. floor in middle with great views. Rooms were better than expected from reviews and
included mini fridge which was stocked each day with our all inclusive pkg. We had our presentation the next morning (3 hours) at 8:00a.m. to buy and become a member which we declined. They never bothered us again about this. The beach is beautiful and we enjoyed every day on the ocean. The weather was great and we were out there 1 -2 times per day. They have lounge chairs and towels available which we did use daily. Breakfast was very good with fruits, juices, eggs omletts, rolls etc. Lunch either outside for hamburgers etc. was ok and the buffet was also ok. I was expecting worse food and was again suprised that we had decent selection including salads.
We received our free Italian and Lobster nights. Both were very good. Each night they have entertainment with buffet that includes much dancing etc.. The staff was accomodating and very pleasant to deal with. We always tipped for drinks, eating, and baggage. We visited three malls which are very close to the hotel and walked within 10 mins to their flea market mall and discos. We felt safe at all times and used the bus .$65 each. Easy to use dollars or peso's. They want you to have a good time, spend money and come back. I've been to plenty of places where you don't feel as safe as Sunset Royal. This is a 3 star hotel that held up their end as far as we were concerned. My wife and I definitely will come back.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
8  Thank troopman5073
Write a ReviewReviews (3,389)

Reviewed April 19, 2007

We visited the Sunset Royal in Fall 2005 (? I think it was 2005), one week before the hurricane that apparently demolished a lot of beach. We unwisely attended the timeshare presentation that lasted over 5 hours and even more unwisely purchased a 10 year plan with a certain number of visits including "corporate weeks" with no maintenance fee. At the time the required all-inclusive fee was in the 60-something dollar range. We were also told (untruthfully) that we would get an ocean view 1 bedroom unless we had 4 adults, then we could have a 2 bedroom. When we called to reserve for September, the all inclusive fee is now 92 per person per day (ridiculous, we could eat at the fanciest place in town for that) and we can only have a studio, with no guarantee of an ocean view room at all (which means a 95% chance of no ocean view room unless the resort is practically empty when we go). Now, if we had 4 adults paying the ridiculous all inclusive fee they will be happy to reserve a 1 bedroom, so I know they have them available. If we were using the regular purchased weeks with the maintenance fee the contract specifically says we are entitled to any room at the resort, but we're using corporate weeks so no guarantees. I recommend you not purchase the timeshare at all, but if you do, get it IN WRITING that you get an ocean view 1 bedroom for 2 adults and an ocean view 2 bedroom for 4 adults. Don't rely on anything they tell you, get it in writing. Overall I don't recommend their timeshare because of the required all-inclusive. To put it in numbers for you, we are paying 1288 per week JUST FOR THE FOOD, which is edible, not bad but nothing to write home about.

The resort itself was pretty nice, and when we were there we didn't have any problem with the pool being overcrowded. I haven't seen the beach since the remodel, but it was pretty small when we were there. I will provide a new review after our trip in Sept, and I am trying not to go into it with a negative opinion already in place. It's just hard when they won't guarantee us an ocean view room, the sole reason I was interested in the purchase plan at all. Also the jack up in the all-inclusive price is ridiculous and unwarranted. You would think we are paying for the remodeling they had to do because of the hurricane, but they have insurance for that.

Stayed: April 2007
6  Thank silkysing
Reviewed April 2, 2007

Cancun is always fun.. we stayed here even after reading all the bad reviews on this place.. We own down in Playa Del Carmen but decided to come to Cancun for a change.. It was a great decision...Obviously whomever wrote the bad things has never been on a vaction before. We found this to be a very service oriented resort and the food was good..(we even drank the water from the tap and have had no ploblems at all) The rooms were clean, our studio could use a face lift but it was still nice. The beach is nice, but gradually will need to be rebuilt again due to the "BIG WAVES" The resorts around it are being rebuilt slowly but it will be "grand" when complete.. We took the water taxi over to the Sunset Lagoon and actually seen a Crocodile in the lagoon, it was pretty cool.. (but decided not to use our snorkle gear!!) Met lots of nice people from all over and we upgraded our timeshare from the Royal Fisherman's to the Royal Sunset.. As for the landsharks (timeshare salesmen) If you don't want to buy anything just say "no thanks" and they will leave you alone.. I can't say enough good things about the people and the service it was the best we've ever had and we travel quite a bit in the Caribbean...Go and enjoy.. you won't regret it..

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank IowaWards
Reviewed March 29, 2007

We used my family's RCI week for our honeymoon in October 2006 and chose Royal Sunset like a shot in the dark. We faired pretty well. It was nothing fancy or remotely luxurious but it was "nice". So, if you are looking for "nice" go for it. If not, spring for a luxury hotel. You get what you pay for.

There are many opportunities for outings through the hotel. Sometimes, things seemed a little fake because the staff sometimes act like they are just going through the motions, just to get money out of the interaction. It left me with the feeling that their jobs are not fulfilling, that I was "just another tourist" being rounded-up onto the bus for the next stop and I therefore felt as though the experience rating was compromised.

Spring for the all-inclusive package. We felt like outsiders without it, like were the kids "from the other side of the" pool.

One couldn't ask for a more beautiful ocean view, perhaps an actual balcony - the balcony only consists of a sliding glass door, a six inch ledge and a banister.

GO SNORKELING if you never have. You get to drive your own boat, hitch it to a bunch of other boats, jump in the water and just swim. For a first time snorkeler, it was wonderful. My husband grew up on a dairy farm, so this was very very cool for him!

Our effeciency was okay. The floor felt weird because it was some type of plastic laminate tile that seemed to get sticky because of the humidity. If you cannot tolerate humidity indoors, this is not the hotel for you because the rooms seemed to be humid. There was no fan in the bathroom, only a vent. Just a tub/shower. The kitchette was nice and suitable. The "sitting furniture" was uncomfortable and ackward. Down three steps there was the bed and dresser.

If you have specific questions, I am willing to be contacted.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank qtkate425
Reviewed March 20, 2007

Loved this hotel...I am an RCI memeber and grabbed this hotel as a fluke... Will go back as soon as I a can. The location was perfect within walking distance town (bars). The staff made us feel like kings by the 2 day we actully felt like we were staying with family.

Food and drinks were good and the view from any room was breath taking. But go fiqure your in Mexico.

The sister resort on the other side of the lagoon was great too. The time share speach was not that bad. if you say no your in and out in about 2 hours, good note the give you breakfast!!!

Book this hotel. Book now...

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank WorldTraveler2739
Reviewed March 16, 2007

Despite many negative reviews, concerning the Royal Resorts, I exchanged into a 2-BR via RCI. This is because I read “between the lines” and found that the majority of complaints seem to come from owners and folks who got roped into over-paying for a week and/or the aggressive tactics of the sale people. Many of the complaints also hinged on what appears to be the Royals propensity for shady business practices. While I feel for the people that got ripped off, none of those types of issues concern me, as I’m happy with the timeshare that I own, (Sunterra’s Powhattan Plantation in Williamsburg, VA), and have absolutely no interest in purchasing another. Our visit to Cancun was strictly a “one-shot” deal, and we have no desire to return. Not because we didn’t have a great time, (we did), but we want to see as much of the world as we can and, (with the exception of Lake Tahoe and Vegas), seldom visit the same destination twice. We decided on Cancun as a “party” vacation. We weren’t here to soak up local culture or anything like that. We just wanted to party, (read: drink, relax, and get a few dives in.) We are under no illusions that Cancun is representative of the “real” Mexico, (we’ve experienced the “real” Mexico in Cozumel & Costa Maya. If you want to experience some local flavour and culture, then I recommend that you spend some time in either of those places), but that’s not what we came for.

We travelled with another couple, with whom we vacation with frequently. We are all best friends, in our early 40’s and have many of the same interests, (we’ve been travelling together for the past 20 yrs or so) I found cheap airfare, out of BWI, for $99.00 non-stop each way, on USA3000. USA3000 is a small charter airline that flies out of a couple of airports, here in the northeast, for great rates. I believe that USA3000 is utilized by some of the travel agencies, (i.e. Apple tours), for their vacation packages. I read mixed reviews, but booked them anyway as the prices were too good to pass up. The main complaint seems to be, in the event of a problem with a plane, there would be significant delays as the fleet of planes is small and they don’t have any on “standby” like many of the larger carriers. This was not an issue, as the flights left on time. The planes are clean, and modern, (Airbus 320’s), and include a meal and an in-flight movie. The flight was fine. No complaints here.

According to RCI, you can contact the Royal Sunset to arrange for one complimentary transfer either from the airport to the resort, or vice-versa. They included an e-mail address, where you provide the date and time of arrival, or departure, the flight numbers and the number of guests. If memory serves, you’re supposed to e-mail them at least a month in advance. I e-mailed them three times, and never got a response. No big deal, as I figured that we’d just use them for the ride back to the airport when we left. We landed on time, retrieved our luggage, and went through Customs. The entire process took about 45 minutes. The terminal in Cancun isn’t real big, and it’s easy to find your way around. As we exited, there were several counters that offered van and/or taxi services to the Hotel Zone, (which is about a 15-20 minute ride from the airport). I haggled with a couple of different companies, (Back in my youth, I lived in Naples, Italy, where haggling is an art form), and found one that was willing to take us for $8.00 pp. Was that a good price? I don’t know, but we were happy enough with it. I also negotiated a “beer-stop” on the way. The driver was very accommodating and friendly. He stopped at a 7-11, and we bought a six-pack of ice-cold beer, some snacks, and a cold soda for our driver. I think he was somewhat surprised, but grateful, for the drink. We’ve been to Mexico a couple of times. We love the country, and the Mexican people. Over the years, we have learned that, when you treat people with kindness and respect, that you usually get treated in kind.

After an uneventful ride, we were dropped off at the resort, and greeted by the bellman. The resort is gorgeous. It is spotless and very well laid-out. While there is some construction still going on, (courtesy of hurricane Katrina), it is inconspicuous, and they really seemed to have bounced back. You can really appreciate what they’ve done, if you look at some of the other resorts and buildings, which were still heavily damaged.

Check-in was a breeze. We identified ourselves as RCI guests, and they whisked us to a beautiful restaurant, located at the bottom of an open-air atrium, for check-in. A very nice young lady checked us in, and told us about the resort amenities. (They hire some real cuties!) At that point, you give them your RCI Vacation Confirmation Certificate, and a credit card for the inclusive-fee. The fee may seem high to some folks, (~$73 USD pp per day), to us it was well worth it. The food, while not 5-star, was top-notch and some of the best that we’ve had in the Caribbean, (cruises notwithstanding). We also party pretty hard and I’m sure that we also drank our moneys worth! We were offered drinks, and had a very good lunch. Forewarned, with the many complaints of the timeshare “sharks”, I told her right away, that we have no interest in timeshare presentations, and did not want to be bothered by any salesman on our vacation. She told us “no problem” and no one called, or approached us for the entire vacation concerning purchasing a timeshare. The whole process, including lunch, drinks, etc., probably took about an hour. It would’ve gone much faster, but we were famished, and in no hurry, (we’re on vacation, right?).

We got to our room, on the 11th floor, (I think), and we absolutely blown away! It is a 2-BR lockoff. You open the door, to a huge foyer. There is a doorway to each room, to the left and right. We stayed in the master bedroom, on the right. As you enter, there is an ample-sized vanity, with a sink, closet w/safe, an ironing board and iron. Off of that, there is a decent sized bathroom, with a toilet, shower & tub. When you enter the room itself, prepare to be amazed. The room is huge! There is a big kitchen, with all modern appliances, (fridge, flat-top range, microwave, coffeemaker, blender, etc.), and complete sets of dishes, glasses, pots pans and flatware. The dining room has a large glass table, with 6(?) chairs, and is quite large. You step down to a small sunken sitting area, with a couple of chairs and a loveseat. There is also a balcony, looking at the damaged hotel next door, and the beach.

The bedroom was BIG! It has a king-size bed, a small balcony, and a large sunken Jacuzzi tub. There is also a big chest of drawers, two night side tables, and a large closet. There was plenty of room for our clothes and my dive gear. The other BR was smaller, but quite ample. There is no separate room for the beds, (of which there were two twins), and the kitchen was smaller. The bathroom was the same size, and there is a small balcony, facing the lagoon, with a couple of chairs and a table. Our friends were very happy, with their accommodations. The entire living areas have beautiful tiled, (marble), floors and were spotless. The linens were very clean, the beds comfortable and the maid service was top-notch. This is one of those places where one could literally eat off of the floor. The fridges were fully stocked with canned beer, (Dos Equis), soft drinks, (Fanta Orange, Coke & 7-Up or Sprite), and water, juice and snacks. These were replenished daily.

After ogling the accommodations for a while, we threw on our suits, and ventured out to explore the rest of the resort. The entrance to our room was facing a huge open atrium. It overlooks the restaurant that we checked in at, and is an Italian restaurant at night. The atrium is triangle-shaped, with large planters on the walls, which have vines that are growing downward, forming beautiful green walls of ivy on every floor in every corner. As you exit left off of the elevator, and down a small corridor, the lobby is on the right. It is tiled in marble, and is quite large. Facing the doors, there are several couches, seats and tables, complete with table service for drinks. There is also a small bar, with a couple of plasma-screen TV’s installed into the walls. The bartenders and waitresses were very outgoing and friendly. The waitresses kept the tables spotless, and were very attentive, yet unobtrusive.

The small lobby bar was fun. (Helpful hint: I read that if you like really good tequila, tell the bartender that you want the stuff in that he keeps in the fridge under the bar…and slip him a buck) It’s true! He’ll give you a knowing nod and smile, and serve up the Don Julio or Patron. You don’t have to tip every time, but once in a while works wonders. He remembered all of our names, and what we liked to drink. It was a fun place to hang out at night. To the left of the bar, down a short corridor, is a small convenience store that stocks the staples, (snacks, sun tan lotion, cigarettes, etc). There are also a couple of computers, which offer internet access for a few pesos, offered in increments of 15 minutes. You must pay for that at the store too. (Helpful hint: ask the store attendant how the keyboard works…as some of the buttons are different than we’re accustomed to here in the States, and it will save you some valuable time)

As you leave the bar, and head towards the back of the resort, (which faces the ocean, where the pool and beach are located), there is a buffet restaurant on the right. I won’t bore you with the details, suffice to say that the food was plentiful and pretty good, (not gourmet, but good), and the dinner and lunch menu changed nightly. We ate breakfast here every day too. The wait staff was superb. They were attentive and very friendly. While it’s not required, we always left a couple of bucks after our meals. The staff certainly earned it. If you exit the buffet restaurant, and hang a right, you exit into the pool area.

The pool area, and pool, was very clean. It’s a pretty big pool, with some shallow areas where you can lay in and catch some rays. If memory serves, there is a small fountain in the middle. To the right, under a canopy, there are several tables, and another small bar, and a snack bar. The bar service there was friendly too. The beer is on tap and its Dos Equis. They keep it ice cold. All of the bartenders will make your mixed drinks as strong, or weak, as you’d like. All you have to do is ask. The snack bar served both hot and cold food. There were daily staples, (i.e. nachos, refried beans, rice, tacos, etc.), along with hot dogs, burgers, pizza, fresh popped popcorn and different desserts. Just to the left of the bar is the desk where you get your beach towels. They write down your room #, and the # of towels you take, so make sure you turn ‘em back in! The towels were thick and fluffy, perfect for the beach and pool. There are ample lounges and tables. There are a couple of waiters/waitresses who bring you drinks, but the service was too slow for us. That was no big deal, as the bar was only steps away. The pool area is also the hub of resort activities. We normally don’t participate in those sorts of things, and this vacation was no exception. They seemed to have the usual, (pool volleyball, drinking games, dance contests, etc), and the guests that did participate seemed like they were having fun.

To get to the beach, you walk down a couple of flights of steps, and onto the beach. The beach is beautiful. They did one heck of a job on the beach replenishment effort. The sand was soft, and the beach was wide. There were plenty of lounges and chairs, and many canopies that offered shade. (Helpful hint: forget about swimming in the ocean here, at least when we stayed, the current was strong and the red flags were flying every day) The girls ventured out, and got wiped out by a big wave. It’s an ok place to wade, but I wouldn’t stray too far, as there is some big-time current. If you’re travelling with kids, keep an eye on ‘em, Mom & Dad.

My buddy and I are divers, and so booked a couple of dives. While Cancun isn’t exactly a diver’s paradise, (I prefer Cayman, Belize, etc), it does offer the unique opportunity of diving some freshwater caverns known as Cenotes. I did a lot of research, prior to our vacation and found a good dive-op, at the recommendation of some fellow divers that is owned by an American named John. The outfit is called Manta Divers, and is owned by a Texan named John. Check out their web-site for more info. They have a toll-free number, so I called and talked to John a couple of times. They also have the best cavern guide in the area, a German named Leif. He came highly recommended. I booked a wreck and reef dive, for one day, and a Cenote dive for later in the week. The wreck dive and reef dive was in some pretty strong current. In fact, with the exception of my buddy, the captain and a photographer, everyone got sea-sick. The boat was kind of small, and the swells were about 3’. The wreck dive was pretty decent, but the reef dive was kind of boring. (To be fair though, I had just spent a week of diving the East End of Grand Cayman in August, and there is just no comparison). In any case, it’s always a good thing to get some dives in, and practice your skills.

The FUN dive and truly unique experience was the cenotes. It was an all-day affair, as the caverns are about 1 ½ hour drive from Cancun, but it is well worth it. It’s basically a couple of dives in freshwater caverns with a guide. The visibility is infinite. Picture wondering through a cave, but it’s filled with water. I’m glad that we asked for Leif as our guide. He was competent, entertaining and emphasized safety. I won’t go into the details, just Google “Cenotes” if you’re interested, or PM me, and I’ll tell you anything that I can about the dive. If you are a diver, with decent buoyancy control, I highly recommend the dive. If you are the least bit claustrophobic, then forget it! I believe that they also arrange snorkel tours in some of the Cenotes, (there are many different Cenotes), but I didn’t pay too much attention to that, so I don’t have any info on the snorkelling.

We spent the majority of the time hanging out at the beach or pool. We did spend one early evening down the street where the nightclubs are, (Coco Bongo, Hard Rock, etc), but we basically just walked around took in the sights. It’s only a 10 minute walk, and is quite safe. They have the usual shops, stocked full of the same junk that you see all over the Caribbean. We did eat at the Hooters, (by Thursday, we were all in the mood for some good ‘ol fashioned fried food, and Hooters fit the bill). The wings were indistinguishable from the ones that you get stateside and pretty darn good, (if you like that sort of thing), and the beer was ice cold. It was a welcome respite from the resort fare. If you’re tired, you can catch a bus back. I think it was only about bout 6 pesos, ($.50 USD). Like much of the Caribbean, they take dollars and pesos, but typically give you pesos for change. When we went, it the exchange rate was 11 pesos to the dollar.

Each of us got a spa credit of $30.00 each. We gave ours to the girls, so that they could combine them and they got pedicures. They were happy with them, and there was no “hard sell” of any of the beauty products. (Any one who has gotten a massage or spa services on a cruise know exactly what I’m talking about) We could also use the facilities, at the Royal Sunsets sister resort, the Royal Sunset Lagoon, but we never took advantage of it. As RCI guests, we were also entitled to a free tour of some type of Eco-park and a free snorkel trip. We’ve dove, and snorkelled, all over the Caribbean, so we took a pass on the excursions, figuring that an all-day trip would be a waste of time. Besides, we paid the AI fee, so we were taking in as many meals, and drinks, at the resort! Oops! I left out the room service! The room service menu was very good. They had a pretty substantial menu, and the food arrived hot, fresh and delicious in a reasonable amount of time.

We booked the free transfer to the airport. It was easy, just go to the concierge desk, gave them our names, and flight numbers and they gave us some tickets for the van. It was fast and painless. We got to the airport in plenty of time and the flight home was just as easy as the earlier flight into Cancun.

Random & rambling, closing thoughts & tips:

You get one lobster dinner, at the Italian restaurant. Like many inclusive resorts, it’s a good idea to reserve early. We did this at check-in. The lobster was excellent. You also had to make reservations if you wanted to eat other dinners at this restaurant. The service is slow, but the food was excellent, besides we weren’t in any hurry. The staff at the Royal Resort was excellent, and the property was very pretty and very, very clean. Slip ‘em a few bucks. They are working hard and a couple of dollar bills go a long way.

At check-in, and after we politely told them we weren’t interested in a timeshare presentation, we were not bothered for the duration of our vacation. They are doing one hell of a job rebuilding after Katrina. N.O. can learn a thing or two from the folks in Cancun. They took the opportunity to modernize and improve the area, (i.e. put in new sidewalks, more palm trees and walkways. We were all very impressed.

The Royal Sunset is deserving of its Gold Crown status. It is very, very, VERY clean. The staff is hard-working and treated us like gold. To avoid the timeshare sharks, just tell ‘em “No thanks!” be firm about it and they’ll leave you alone. If you don’t drink, then this resort is probably not worth it to you, as the AI fee is mandatory, at least it is through RCI. We have the unique advantage of living 10 minutes from BWI airport, (Baltimore Washington International), so we are privy to many great deals on airfare. We did an entire weeks vacation for ~ $1,400.00, including round-trip, non-stop airfare. That ain’t too bad. That’s worth it to us.

Did we enjoy the Royal Sunset? You Bet!

Would we return? Nope! (Once in Cancun is enough)

Would we recommend it? Absolutely!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
23  Thank Skinsfan1311
Reviewed March 13, 2007

i loved my stay in cancun. i have been going there since i was little and have always stayed at sunset. i ws devistated when the hurricane hit but am excited to go back this year to see the improvements! can't wait to see it!!!!!! but i love the rooms and the beach is great!!! pools nice to and i love the hammock area!

Stayed: March 2007