“invaluable piece of advise...”

Sunset Royal Beach Resort
Ranked #49 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
michigan
“invaluable piece of advise...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2004

...tell everyone who approaches you regarding time-share opportunities that you're a travel agent...it works everytime.

10 Thank thriftythelma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2004

We just spent 5 nights at the Royal Sunset. My sister in law owns a timeshare there and this was our first visit to Cancun.

The airport in Cancun is a madhouse. We made arrangements to have the hotel pick us up for a prepaid price of $8 per person. We were approached by no less than 12 people trying to sell us timeshares at the airport. All of them tried to say that they were hired to take us to the resort. We finally found someone who spoke enough English to help us, and he seemed really knowledgable and had a "Cancun Government" i.d. Well, you guessed it, he too was trying to sell us a time share.

We finally found someone to take us to the resort. Remember to take a lot of one dollar bills. We only had $20's and you can only get change in peso. EVERYONE expects a tip. Our check in at the hotel was a snap. Our room wasn't ready yet (it was about 3:00 P.M.), but we were still allowed to put our bags in the room and wander around.

The hotel was very clean and well kept. The pool is small, but nice. Wear shoes when you go to the pool deck because the decking is extremely hot. The beach is gorgeous. Beautiful white sand and crystal clear water.

Keep an eye on your kids at the beach. The waves are fairly large and there is quite a wicked under toe at times. You can borrow boogie boards at the pool deck which was a lot of fun.

We love to snorkel and there is no snorkeling on this beach or at the lagoon. There aren't any reefs. You have to take an excursion to do any snorkeling.

The food was really bad. Most of the time we had to eat the buffet because we couldn't get into the restaurants. My kids lived off of frosted flakes and bananas the whole time. Thank goodness for the hamburgers at the pool grill. We did eat at the Italian restaurant one night. It was a great presentation, but took 3 hours and the food was mediocre at best. I heard the restaurant on the beach was good, but the one night we had reservations, they wouldn't let us eat because my son had on shorts!! There was NO ONE in the place and it's outside on the beach! Go figure.

We went on two excursions. We did Tres Rios and Xel Ha. Tres Rios was nice, but you have to be with a guide the whole time and they herd you from one activity to the next. I can't really comment on Xel Ha because that is the day we all came down with Motezuma's Revenge and were really sick. It is two hours away and was more crowded than I've ever seen Disney World. It's a beautiful place, but there were too many people to enjoy it.

Fortunately, they had a doctor at Xel Ha and through hand signals, I was able to convey that my son was really sick. He examined him and gave me antibiotics and stomach medicine for around $35. For anyone that is going to Mexico, the first stop you have to make is a pharmacy. Stock up on Treda or Amoxil (both antibiotics you can buy over the counter without a prescription in Cancun) and take them immediately!

Almost everyone we talked to at the resort had gotten sick. My poor nephew almost couldn't fly home because he was so ill. The resort will give you all the bottled water you want, so it's not the water.

If you are looking to spend time on a beautiful beach, you will love it here. My kids (9 and 13) were bored stiff as was I. The excursions were fun, but REALLY expensive. Bring lots of money to tip, because the waiters, bartenders, bus drivers, excursion guides etc. all expect tips.

There is a really cool mall there called La Isle (?). It is well worth the 6 peso bus ride to go see it. It's outside with lots of restaurants and shops and entertainment. It was quite spectacular. Don't miss it.

The exchange rate is @ 11 pesos per dollar. Watch your change carefully because they will not give you the correct change. On the bus, you need exactly 6 pesos per person or they will just keep whatever you give them.

We weren't hassled much at all by the timeshare sharks at the resort. We just lied and said we already owned one, and they left us alone.

Make sure to make a reservation to get back to the airport. The driver was waiting for us and got us back to the airport in plenty of time for our flight.

Please make sure to go with your kids each and everytime they go to order a drink from the bar (unless it's water). I can't tell you how many times they tried to make my sons non-alcholic dacquiris with alcohol. Even with me ordering it staying "No alcohol" they did it anyway. 90% of them don't speak good English, so it's more a language problem than anything else. I saw kids around 13 or 14 going up to the bar ordering beers and being served.

It's a very safe place, lots of security, but there are no age limits enforced on alcohol, so be careful. As far as drinks for the adults, they are weak, but just ask for doubles and tip, and they will give you a decent drink.

Bottom line, it's beautiful, but I can think of a lot better places to spend my money on a family vacation.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2004

Resort was nice, all inclusive fees were high (we don't drink), but the rooms were great, the people were friendly, lots of activities --- food was not the best, but good location and the farewell lobster dinner was outstanding. No doubt they push the time shares but after we said no, noone bothered us any more. I'd stay there again.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2004

This review notifies you of a concern I have relating to the Sunset Resort in Cancun, Mexico so you are aware of the business practices of the resort. On July 1, 2004, I purchase a time share and join the yacht club at the Sunset Resort but later cancel the contracts on July 5, 2004 because to the way a manger treated us at the facility on July 4, 2004. As of July 13, 2004, I receive no response from the cancellation/legal department relating to the cancellation of my contracts (resort and yacht club memberships).

After purchasing the time share and joining the yacht club at the Sunset Resort. My daughter and I were invited to return to enjoy the facility. We return to Sunset Royal Resort on July 4, 2004 to enjoy the facility and the event schedule for the evening. I gave the desk clerk my identification and explain that I was a new member and that I came back for the event schedule for 7:00 p.m. that evening. The desk clerk was busy with another client therefore he ask the manager to assist me. A manager told us and we could not participate in the event scheduled for the evening that the event was only for members and quests of the hotel. I told the manager that we are new members of the resort. The manager gave us visiting brackets so we could enter the facility. He escorted us on the swimming pool platform and told us that we could not participate in the events but could look from the sidelines near the ropes. Again, I explain to the manager that I was a new member and that July 4 was the only day schedule to enjoy the facility and would cancel my contracts if I was not able to use the facility. The manager made no comment after I told him that I would cancel my membership. We placed our visiting brackets in the trash and exit the premises.

The next day, July 5, 2004, we return to Sunset Royal Resort to cancel our contracts. The managers and sales representatives all requested that we gave them another chance by offering free airline tickets and all-inclusive vacation for 4 people, free dinner for the evening and live entertainment. I decline all offers and wrote a cancellation letter and had two people witness the letter. I requested a copy of the cancellation letter and gave the original letter to one of the manager.

On July 9, 2004, a representative of Sunset Royal Resort contacted me at work around 11:00 a.m. offering me more free trips/deals. Again, I decline the offers. When I decline the free trips, he stated that I was not able to cancel because I sign a document stating that I would not cancel. I told him that I don’t remember signing the document and that no such document exists in my paperwork package. He told me that they did not place the document in my package. I gave him my fax number and ask him to fax me a copy of the document. He told me that the cancellation/legal department will fax me a copy. As of July 13, 2004 Sunset Resort has not fax me the document.

17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2004

This a great hotel with great food,service,beach,pool.
From the time of check in to the time of check out,
some one follows you around trying to sell a time share at this hotel. They will not take no for an reply. If you do not mind having a shadow for your entire stay, this the place to go.

• Stayed June 2004
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2004

My boyfriend and I stayed at Sunset from 5-29-04 to 6-2-04, This was my 3rd trip to mexico.. would not recommend this resort. we arrived in the evening and had to wait 1 hr for our room... not really fun when you have been on airplanes all day. While we waited for our room, we met with someone from the hotel that wanted to talk to us about the tours we had planned, I always go through an agency.. told him we were going to plan things through them, he said that if we met with him one day that they would give us $50.00 as a refund since we couldng book through them, they conviently made the appt time at a time that we would be out doing things and come to find out you have to spend about 1 hr with them listing to them talk.... The room was really big, but not all that clean. I had to lay towels down to keep my feet clean. The beach closed early and the beach area wasnt as big as the other resorts I have stayed at. at 6:30 we asked for beach towels, we were told that they dont give out towels passed 6 or we could buy one for $25.00 (american money). We were really too busy during the day to catch the 5:00 dinner theater, would have been nice for that to be later, really for the price we paid, we did not get to enjoy all of the hotel... There were not that many places to just get a drink.. unless you wanted to stay inline for a long time... I agree, all drinks including sodas were very watered down... try another resort.. Melia Turquesa is wonderful... I didnt have a bad time here, but it could have been a lot better, we had a lot of fun in Mexico.. Food was great at the restaurants.. buffet wasnt that good.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2004

We were there from 5/29 to 6/5....we have been to alot of places in Mexico and it does'nt get any better than this...for those who have complained about this place are the ones that couldnt never beeen pleased in the first place!!

From the shows they put on to the the room service and cleanliness of the hotel....and the food, well it is the same or worse at all of the places on the Cancun strip they will stil get my A+ approval !

The staff there they go beyond bending over backwards to make you feel welcome and make sure you enjoy your stay there...and yes maybe the only complaint one could have is the sales on the timeshare....you get that here in the US and what would you think they wouldnt do the same there....just get the point across the the sales person that has been assigned to you that you dont want to buy and they backoff.

Not even one time was anyone there at the Royal Sunset wasnt as nice and helpful as they could be!

A special "mucho gracias" goes out to Alex, Cinthia, Shannon, Ricco, Frankie and the resturant staff for making this a most memorable stay in their home of Cancun, Mexico

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member