“College Roommate Reunion”

Ranked #50 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Morgantown, West Virginia
“College Roommate Reunion”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Five of us had a great time at this resort - food and activities were wonderful. Roberto, provided us with coffee and pastries each morning. Everyone was very nice and helpful. Fernando did a very good job of providing a scuba refresher course in the pool.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Sunset Royal Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your time at our resort. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us; that is the goal and commitment of every team member at our resort. Thank you for your kind words for our team, especially Roberto and Fernando, they will be thrilled.

We hope to see you back next year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
Crown Point, New York
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We've been to the Royal Sunset & Sunset Lagoon several times over the past 15 years. First as guests of owners, a few times through expedia & a few times directly through the hotel. We love both places. The staff is awesome. They make it fun. Lots of excursions to ruins, xel-ha, xcaret, and so on. Huge list of affordable trips. Games, water aerobics. Great kids staff, lots of families, people of all ages. Not a lot of dining options but they make every meal an event. Buffet has everything you could possibly want, plus the grill with special orders. We love the ability to go back and forth between the 2 hotels for various entertainment or dining options. The ocean if right in front of the Royal & lots of fun.. On our last visit the Lagoon was being renovated, so a little bummer. You can walk down the street or take a bus or taxi to endless shopping options. Night clubs are within walking distance & the staff plans nights out at all the popular clubs and help you get acclimated to the club before they head home after a 14 hour day of entertaining & babysitting their guest. TIP everyone who provides you with a service same as in US. You WILL e treated like royalty. CAUTION THIS IS A TIMESHARE HOTEL.... You will be pressured, highly pressured to buy in.

Room Tip: Get the all-inclusive. Rates vary, keep searching for he deals!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
We thank you for sharing your experiences with other travelers through this media.

It gives us great pleasure to know that you had a wonderful experience during your stay at Sunset Royal; your perceptions with regards to our services helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes us. Your comments will be transmitted to the all those who helped build your memorable experiences.

As a repeat guest, we can't thank you enough for continually visiting us and look forward to exceeding your expectations for many trips to come.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Royal sunset was outstanding. The staff was super friendly and remembered my whole family by name. Eddie was especially great to go out of his way to find us an make sure we were having a good time. Very clean, great food, and comfortable rooms. The pool area is great for relaxing or playing a competitive game of volleyball. The spa was excellent and the overall service at the resort was amazing. I loved the music they played at dinner in both restaurants. Does anyone know the name of saxophone song they play? It played almost every night at dinner and I loved it but can't find out what it's called. But anyway, great resort! Would love to go back!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for this wonderful review! We are so glad that you chose to stay here with us and that you received excellent service from our Team. We will be happy to share your kind compliments with them.

It is so good to read that you especially enjoyed the music at dinner and we are glad to share this link with you: https://soundcloud.com/flaulipe, where you can find different songs played by Felipe.

We can´t wait to welcome you back!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We'll I have to began saying that I wasn't very satisfied with the Jr. Suite, it was a bit small, it did not have a fridge nor a partial kitchen which was mentioned when if made reservations through RCI.. However I will tell you that the service was great starting with WONDERFUL "Carmen Ro" from housekeeping! She was simply amazing & did everything in her power to make as feel at home! She is a hard worker & it's obvious she loves her job! I have to say the same about "Karina" from VIP Services, she helped me with all my reservations for this vacation; she did a great job & always had a smile. I also have to complement Rosa from the Acuario Restaurant; she makes the best omelettes & always had a smile! These three woman are truly great assets to this company! All the staff was great, thank you for a great vacation!!

Room Tip: The view to the ocean was amazing on the 9th floor!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dafri1234
We thank you for choosing Sunset Royal and appreciate the kind words. Our commitment is to provide an outstanding experience to all of our guests, and we are happy you were able to experience this first-hand.

Feedback is very important for us since it enables us to make positive changes where needed, and we welcome your comments regarding your room.

Thank you again, and we look forward to your return.
Hillsborough, New Jersey
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I was at the Sunset Royal 7 days ending Oct 4, 2013. This is part of the Sunset group in Cancun that includes Ocean Spa, Sunset Fisherman, & Sunset Lagoon. Although I have been a member there for 6 years this is my 1st trip back and I was very pleased with almost everything. With the exception of housekeeping staff & others who wouldn't normally interact with guests, almost everyone speaks English and the service in the restaurants was excellent. Since this is All Inclusive, the wait staff aren't really making tips (unless guests choose to go back and do so or at the end of their stay) but they had plenty of enthusiasm as if they did get tips. There were usually 2 restaurants with breakfast & lunch buffets. There is always a buffet restaurant for dinner that does not require reservations. The other restaurants change themes - Asian, Italian, etc and do require reservations but I did not see it as a problem; one night we were an hour late for our reservation and they didn't make a fuss. From what I remember 6 years ago, dinner at the Ocean Spa hotel was not the same as dinner at the Sunset Lagoon or Sunset Royal, nor did we have any issues then with the transportation.
There were plenty of guests there from US & Canada as well as several countries in South America (eg., Brazil, Columbia). Our personal concierge, Sandra, was very helpful and attentive. Had the all inclusive (AI) plan which includes room service (did use it) but couldn't possibly eat & drink all that was available/offered. Drinks, including liquor are unlimited and not watered down. And yes there is a limit to one bottle of red and one bottle of white wine during the week, but no one I spoke with saw this as an issue. Next time I might consider the European plan which is probably better if you are going to be out of the hotel during the day. Yes, you wear a bracelet, but it only serves to identify the group you fall into. Members - all inclusive; members w/o all inclusive, RCI exchange guests - all inclusive or w/o all inclusive, etc, and also identifies which resort of the 4 you are from because the AI prices are not the same across the board. There is nothing on the bracelet that identifies You. So yes, when you order something, on the beach, in the lobby, etc. you are asked for your room number. But if I stay at a Hampton Inn and go to the breakfast included with my room charge, I am asked for my room number.
We had adjoining studio & a 1 bdrm suites, so lots of windows and the ocean views are fantastic. The food was plentiful, decent, and very fresh. You can do nothing or get involved in as many activities as you want. The 4-hour yacht cruise with snorkeling, swimming & lunch was quite refreshing. And there is some type of entertainment every evening and for those looking for more night life, they will take you as a group to a club (around 10 PM) and you also receive a discount there compared to if you walk in off the street.
Our airport transportation was through a private company and it was fine. I have no complaints with a trip I made with a "sunset driver"; I even thought his actions at the rumble strips was very conservative. And we had fun having a Spanish/English lesson along the way.

My complaints & why I didn't say "Excellent" are somewhat linked to my age (late 60s): 1) the showers don't have any grab bars and with marble floors I felt I needed to be extra cautious. 2) the Jacuzzi in my room was deep but did not have a seat or steps in it, so if I had gotten in it I wouldn't have been able to get myself out. and 3) I was scheduled for a "Jungle tour" so I expected an airboat or wagon seating. It wasn't until I inquired more about it (fortunately before I was scheduled to leave) that I found you ride through the jungle on a rather large jet ski (about 2 persons each) which is something that wasn't for me.
All in all we had a very relaxing time despite Tropical Storm Karen coming through on Thursday and I will go back.

Room Tip: If you want to nap in the afternoon, don't have a room that overlooks the pool. If you want to s...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Sunset Royal Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for allowing us to take care of you. We love making great hotel experiences, and we hope to continue doing just that for you for many years to come.

As a repeat guest, we can't thank you enough for visiting us and furthermore letting us know your experiences, which we are very happy to share with our team. We also thank you for your feedback; it is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests.

We will be very happy to see you back "home" soon.
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

First of all this is a huge scam of a hotel. It prides itself on being a members only hotel so it shouldn't allow non members to vacation there. If you are not a member there is a huge discrepancy in how you are treated, waiters scan your wrist band to verify if you deserve elite service or not ( don't lose the wrist band or they charge you 150 US dollars), you get NO service on the beach or seating for that matter only members will.... You will also constantly be reminded oh sorry you aren't a member so you don't qualify....the pool entertainer Marisol is incredibly hateful and rude with all interactions by far the worst person at this resort....you cannot get any assistance with your reservations without speaking to several third party people because the hotel itself plays stupid whenever a problem arises and remove themselves from any responsibility..... Completely family oriented hotel children are everywhere so if you think you can get any relaxation it is not going to happen....there are no rules for the pool as several babies were in the pool NAKED with no diapers on, on our visit......the sunset family does this interesting thing of allowing all four of its hotels to access amenities in any of the four hotels ranging from 3 stars to the so called 5 star hotel so although you pay a much higher price to stay at this hotel everyone else can stay alllll day and enjoy everything you do at a much lower cost.........the drivers they have pick you up at the airport are incredibly terrible drivers taking turns and bends at insanely high rates of speeds with no consideration of who is in the car.....they have signs posted everywhere to tip the servers and drivers yet you are required to use their drivers to go anywhere with a service you have already technically paid for...... The 120 minute presentation they make you attend to become a member is more like a 5-6 hour ordeal with an unnecessary tour that takes you to the sunset royal and back to the marina where there business office is regardless if you make a commitment or not.... All inclusive folks isn't what you think there are limitations especially on,wine only one red and one white allowed on the all inclusive option.....certain dinners have extra $5 US dollar charges to the plates and every dinner must be a reservation. The dinners SUCK lunch and breakfast are much much better then any dinner you receive....the lobster dinner is by far a joke considering fish should be the most fresh in this region....well it's not. There are only 4 restaurants to choose from and alllll four of the hotels you can visit have the exact same restaurants so you have four options to choose from regardless what the concierge tells you....if I could give this hotel 0 I would the biggest waste of money I have ever encountered AVOID this hotel at alllll costs you will truly regret it!!! and to be clear, although you are traveling to Mexico this resort has primarily Spanish speaking guests so most of the staff speaks no English at all and everyone expects you to speak Spanish. The first floor is the worst floor with noise starting at 530 am every day because there is a restaurant in the middle of the first floor song you hear every single rattling of dish wear seating and carts trailing up and down the hall. No one cares about the noise because they have to get the restaurant ready and they have no sense of discretion or consideration....and since you basically open your door to a restuarant the best part of dinner if you choose this restaurant for dinner is the possibility of people coming in and out of their rooms in bathing suits and men with no shirts on just roaming the halls.....incredibly awkward! WORST WORST WORST HOTEL IN ALL CANCUN!!!!!!!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Michelle C
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Sunset Royal Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. All guest feedback is highly appreciated.
We regret to hear your experience at our resort did not meet your expectations.
Sunset Royal does not have a policy of neither differentiating nor discriminating any of its guests; we strive daily in order to provide ALL guests with a memorable & relaxing vacation experience. Your feedback is very important to us and we will take immediate action in order to avoid our service and hospitality standards to come across in any other way then what they are. We apologize if any staff member came across as rude during your stay and you can rest assured your comments have been both taken into consideration and addressed with each and every one of our staff members.
We hope you will provide us with an opportunity to make a second first impression and provide you with a service and experience which is more similar to what we have become known for.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

I received an email offer about this hotel and I did not have to do a timeshare presentation. I was extremely disappointed with our first room. It was very dated and smelled musty. The sheets had stains and so did the towels and floors. The room looked at the lagoon side.
Then, the front desk gentleman was very nice and switched us to an ocean view room the next day. It was still dated and the floors were cheap peel and stick looking tiles, but the view was gorgeous!
All inclusive, but it was annoying to be asked your room number all the time. You need reservations for dinner, which was odd too. All other all inclusive resorts I've been to, you wear a bracelet and it's free range for the week. The bar tenders were all very nice and the entertainment staff was great too. I did like the shuttle service that took you to the other sunset resorts.
This place needs to be updated and all new towels and linens purchased. Get flat screen TVs for the rooms, it's 2013! Also, stop asking guests for room numbers. The bracelet should be all employees need to see.

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for your review.

It sounds like on some levels we were unable to meet your expectations. We have reviewed in detail with our executive management team to focus on these areas of improvement and thank you again for sharing your candid feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Cancun.