“FIRST and LAST time visitors.”

Sunset Royal Beach Resort
Ranked #49 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed February 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Sunset Royal for 5 days, 6 nights. We, like most people there, were there on a time share incentive and had to go to the presentation. We arrived on Sunday night very late so we went to the presentation the next morning to get it out of the way so we could enjoy the rest of our trip. I was very nervous about the presentation because of all of the reviews, but it turned out to be not so bad for us. They take you to their sister resort for breakfast with your "representative" and after that, we can back to our hotel to check out the 8th and 9th floors that were re-done for people to buy the time-shares for. After that, they take you down to a room and try to sell you. The whole process for us took about 4 hours, but since we are not married and didn't have any credit cards, they didn't pressure us too much. Another couple we met at the hotel were surprised by how quickly we got through it. Other than that, the beach was nice and they have waiters bringing you drinks all day. The only down side of the beach was there were limited chairs to sit on unless you got down there early enough, and a few of the days we just laid on our towels on the sand. The buffets were not too impressive. The lacked variety and for a Mexican vacation, they lacked Mexican food. We never even saw ONE tortilla! Mostly just not so good pasta, pasta salads, and breads. We ate more hamburgers and french fries there than we do at home. The room service was the best part of their food selection for us. They served until 10:30 at night so it was nice not to have to go out to eat every night. I did, however, get sick on our 4th day there. I am not sure if it was from the food, or the alcohol, or both, but I was later told that they do not wash their produce down there and I mostly ate salads and veggies...because that was all they had! A couple of the nights we made reservations at their restaurants in the hotel and were not impressed. The portions were small, and it seemed like they were trying to be TOO fancy. We ended up going up to our room and ordering room service after every dinner because we were never full or even liked what we got served. The pool area was also nice. They did have bed cabanas and more chairs up there. Again, they bring you drinks so that was a plus. There was only one bar open during the day outside and then a small one at night in the lobby. The lobby area was nice, but small, and hard to find a seat. The bar was usually very crowded, too. Prior to Cancun, we had stayed at an all-inclusive resort in Jamaica and we enjoyed it way more. There were multiple bars on the property, an adults only pool with a swim up bar, and a much better food selection. All in all, it was a nice relaxing trip and it was still the Caribbean so the ocean was beautiful and warm, but we will not be returning to the Sunset Royal or Cancun, unless it's under special circumstances. I suggest other places in the Caribbean for the same amount of money.

Room Tip: If you can, request the 8th and 9th floors. I would try to stay away from the 1st floor, it is RIGHT...
4  Thank jennifer d
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Gerente at Sunset Royal Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate all customer comments since they provide us an opportunity for improvement. We are very thankful for your positive comments regarding our beach area, room service and all inclusive concept. Regarding the comments you made about our a la cart restaurant we regret hearing you found the portions small however keep in mind you are free to order as many items as you wish.
As a five star resort we do follow the strictest procedures when it comes to the preparation and handling of meals and beverages. We realize that the safety of our guests is of the most importance and because of this we have several standards and certifications. In addition we receive third party random audits and inspections in order to assure the cleanliness of our meals and beverages.
Once again we thank you for your comments and suggestions. We have taken all of them into consideration. You will be happy to know that since your visit we have recently made some improvements to our buffet. We would like to invite you to come back and see these changes for yourself.

There are newer reviews for Sunset Royal Beach Resort

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We have been members for 6 or 7 years now. We always enjoy our visits to Sunset Lagoon and the other properties. We feel pampered, well fed, safe, relaxed, and enjoy the tremendous natural beauty all around us. Here are some of the great people who make all this happen………from the top down

Administration: Jim

At Sunset Lagoon:
Reservations: Luis
Bell Captain: Fabian
Concierge: Arturo and Armondo
VIP Services: Alexia
Sports and Activities: Ivan
Big smile everyday: Carla

Armando and Carla are the superstars who help with our planning even on their own time. THANK YOU ALL!!!

Postive changes include healthier food choices on the buffets and professional exercise therapists everyday for yoga, pilates, body bar, spinning.

Cancun feels very safe and welcoming. Come on down!

1  Thank judithpensacola
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I also just got back from my vacation at Royal Sunset. I had been here once before and was also very pleased. I can understand how Suzy T. may be upset, however. Obviously, they treat their owners better than their renters, and I am sorry for that. However, my last time in Cancun, I stayed at another "membership" resort (Omni Resorts and Villas) which is located further down the strip. I don't know how much Suzy T. paid for her week at Sunset, but I paid roughly $700 for a week "promotion" at Omni (which included a timeshare speil) and was dissatisfied compared to Sunset...(I was sick of the food after 3 days (only 3 places to eat, and only one is a "restaurant" where you can go to usually just once)).. They did not have nightly "shows" and it is farther (5 miles out vs. 1) from downtown Cancun.

Please be aware that I let my membership lapse due to the economy, but when I booked with RCI, I was welcomed back with open arms. Although I had to pay the regular RCI rate (pre-paid was $99/night, not pre-paid was $129, vs. member rate of $79/night), I mentioned my membership and they upgraded my room and gave me nightly "treats" besides. The bandshell shows are pretty good (I didn't get to see all of them, but the ones I saw could've used a little "polishing"). I never got tired of the food (you need to make sure you book reservations for the hotel restauants RIGHT when you get there, otherwise you are left with the bandshell "buffet", which is unvariable and CAN get a little "old"). They have refurbished the upper 3 floors' rooms and you need a key to use floors 8 and 9 (usually reserved for owners), but if you can swing it, I would suggest requesting to stay in the upper 3 floors, and do a timeshare speil to find out more about the resorts that are available as a member (but obviously say no and walk away). If you want to buy later, go to redweek.com and find someone who is selling theirs. Again, this resort features a "family" of resorts and their "flagship" is the Hacienda Tres Rios. These are selling for larger amounts, but invariably, worth it due to the flexibility. The Sunset Resort family hopes to open another resort soon.

One other comparison: Omni does not have any exercise classes. You do have a larger "spa/workout room" facility, but if you enjoy pilates or yoga, you won't find it at Omni.

If you want a "swim up bar" go to Lagoon to enjoy it (its not at Sunset, but just a short cruise across the bay at Lagoon).

My only complaints:
There is no cooking facilities in the rooms, so all inclusive is somewhat necessary. The refrigerator does not cool things off as well as it should (takes about 2 days to get something cool).

I am hoping to go back again next year (after I get my membership up to speed)!! P.S. Free laptop wifi in the lobby of the resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper 3 floors. Rooms located in the "main" area can be noisy due t...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Renee Z
Reviewed February 14, 2012

We just got back from a week at the Royal Sunset and I would go back again. I was leery of the whole timeshare business and almost didn't take the tour (with our package it we not required). But I'm glad we did - We learned so much about the area and attractions, We actually did make friends with our pitchman Enrique- Our concierge Tatiana & Ana were terrific. When ever we had a question or needed reservations either of them would make sure that we were well taken care of -AND they would always ask how the day was going and if we needed anything. The Spa was a nice treat for my sister and myself.

A big draw was being able to visit the other hotels this allowed us to see more of the area and make the overall experience that much more enjoyable.
We took the water shuttle to the Sunset Lagoon Hotel just around sunset that was beautiful and it was just a shuttle! At the Lagoon we enjoyed kyacking and the swim up bar.

We rented a car and we took a couple of day trips from Cancun to Playa Del Carmen & Rivera Maya. We visited Tres Rios Nature center, that is another beautiful Hotel that offers so many amenities.- We did snorkeling in a Cenote, swam in the most beautiful blue water - Had it not been for the tour we would have never known that these day trips were available to us.

We shuttled to the Ocean Spa Hotel for dinner one of the nights and as it turned out returned later in the week as one of the excursions to Isla Mujeres left from that area, so we stopped in for breakfast. I love the flexibility of being able to visit any of the hotels.
Thumbs up on the Sunset group their attention to details was great.

Room Tip: The higher floors have the best views on both the lagoon and ocean sides
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank wfuvlinda0
Reviewed February 13, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a week in Cancun, and have been many times to Mexico. We had a terrific time. The food was outstanding, the beach was excellent and the service was marvelous. We were asked once to attend a session for two hours for timeshare, we declined and never were asked again.
**we did not know we needed reservations each dinner, but was easily chosen (anytime of the day) the entire week and it was awesome food**
The forecast was horrific, but we had sun everyday! There was a beach soccer tournament during our stay and proved not to be a problem in anyway for us.
The only glitch in our vacation was on the way back to the airport, we were informed our flight was cancelled. I think Sunquest and/or Thomas Cook should have informed us. We were put up for approximately 7 hours in the Moon Palace a 5 star resort, which was thoughtful, but we should have been informed by our representative!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Teresa D
Reviewed February 12, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a week at The Royal Sunset. We were on a budget and agreeded to the timeshare presentation to get a discounted rate. I was a bit worried that it would be high-pressure, but it was NOT at all. They simply presented the information and let us decide on our own. I actully enjoyed the presentation and learning about the vacation options. We firmly but politely declined the offer and they stopped there. No high-pressure or shady tactics. We enjoyed the rest of our vacation and didn't hear another word about buying the timeshare. That said, I would totally come back to this resort. The beach is simply amazing and HUGE! Surely one of the highlights of this resort. They have these cute beds on the beach which I noticed a lot of the other nearby resorts did not have. We laid on the beach while be served foo-foo drinks all day long, it was awesome.
We stayed in a basic room. For the price we paid, it was nice. Not the lap of luxury, but heck, I didn't come to Cancun to hangout in the hotel room. The beds linens and towels were clean and our room was serviced daily. That's what matters most to me. The staff at the resort was very friendly and helpful with planning our meals and excursions outside the resort.
We had a couples massage at the resort Spa which was wonderful. Monday morning we took a Pilates class overlooking the ocean, AWESOME.
The food was decent. Not the best but not terrible either. I like to eat healthy and there were plenty of options. I had an omelet every morning and fresh fruit, I was happy. I would have preferred more seafood but for the price we paid, I can't complain. All in all, I would go back to the Royal Sunset in a heartbeat. Thank so much for the wonderful memories! VIVA MEXICO! :)

Reviewed February 11, 2012

We just got home this week from our 2nd time staying at Royal Sunset...
Have had rooms on 6th floor facing lagoon, 4th floor facing ocean & 8th floor facing lagoon. All have their good points.

Its great to have an ocean view...waking up to the sun...but can be very hot in the morning and when the wind is coming off the ocean, it can be noisy against the windows. And no balcony!.

The upper lagoon view rooms are pretty nice. Yes they are the renovated elite suites, with a great lounge that serves specialty coffees & free wifi...all offered to you if you upgrade or purchase. BUT, we did meet a couple who won a free stay at Ocean spa, & paid to upgrade & were placed on the 8th floor of this hotel. These rooms do have a nice size balcony.

The location is great....2 minutes from your room to the beach or to the street where you can catch a bus to downtown, a water shuttle to the other resort or walk to the market in 15 minutes. We brought my sis in law this year & she was amazed at the fact that there was not locals trying to sell you stuff every time you walked out on the beach.
Also the time share police did not follow you either. The people sitting at the desks are not vultures! Actually, they are there to make your trip more enjoyable! You are assigned a concierge at the beginning of the week who will assist you. Ours made reservations at other places for dinner, to watch UFC event, to go fishing & shopping.

Food has been good. Better this year than previous. Room service has always been good. There is always the option of going to the sister hotels to try their cuisine of the night as well. If you prefer, try a night at the name brand places in the tourist area...that should set you back an easy $30/person :)

Everyone has their own opinions & standards. You can make the best of it, if you want!
We have met people down here who have become friends. The staff have always been polite. If you need something, it doesn't hurt to ask! Even if Spanish is not your first language!
Try it...you may just like it...& if you do...maybe we'll see you in the lobby next time.
Happy vacation

Room Tip: If you want a balcony...ask for Lagoon side...2 chairs & a table to relax & watch the sunset...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family