1,456 results
All reviewsjuan bolioother hotelssunset royalsmall hotelshuttle servicefree shuttlerestaurant staffswim up barsister propertiesall inclusive packagetime share presentationcancun vacationquiet resortspecial thanksrelaxing vacationthe wait staffthe entire staff
Reviewed February 3, 2011

I got a call from their marketing center, cancuncalling, at first I thought it was a scam. But I took my chances. I bought the package, and booked my dates for a couple of weeks after that. They bought my tickets for me like they said they would, and I was ready to go.....we got to the airport they picked us up and took us to the hotel. It was the most beautiful place I've ever seen in my life. I had the best experience we stayed 6 days and visited the other resorts as well, went to the Mayan ruins, to excaret as well. It was just unforgettable. I highly recommend this resort. I'm glad we decided to stay I'm this one instead of the ocean spa.....

• Stayed: November 2010
13  Thank juliealvarez
Reviewed January 31, 2011

This resort has the option to go all-inclusive or not, and I love the flexibility. It's a very small, personalized place: it's easy to get to know other visitors and the staff, and you never have to go far to find the things you need.

The wait staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. After missing the last shuttle bus from another resort and faced with being stranded for two hours, a bus driver simply volunteered to drive me back to the hotel even though he was on his break. Now that's good service!

This isn't a beach front property and it's quite a distance from the main hotel strip, but it's a GREAT place to go for peace and quiet. The pool is large, and you can find the jacuzzi on top of the spa's roof. I didn't get to try out the spa, but a lady in the main lobby gushed about it to me for an hour (and she wasn't an employee).

My room was large and lovely. I was impressed by how happy the workers were, our bartender never stopped whistling. The food was DELICIOUS! I wasn't expecting anything exceptional, but everything was perfect. The breakfast was the best part.

It's also located right on a golf course.

This resort might be ideal for older travelers, but I'm a 20-something and I still loved it. Not a bad way to beat the Cancun madness!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
7  Thank candicewalsh
Reviewed January 28, 2011

We had never travelled before so I did a lot of research about the place we were going to. I read all the reviews and decided this is the place for us. It didn't disappoint. I travelled with my husband and our two friends. We all loved it. We went to Cancun on a Time Share/Condo presentation. Not idea but after you give them 90 minutes of your time you are free to enjoy the facilities of four resorts. It was perfect. We decided to stay at the Laguna Suites Golf and Spa because it had better ratings than the Ocean Spa Resort. They sent a shuttle to pick us up from the airport. We were 90 minutes late but they were still waiting. When we got to the hotel we were greeted by a staff that was very friendly and eager to help out. Matthew took us aside and went through everything about our stay and because we were celebrating our 25th Anniversary and our friends 35th Anniversary sent a bottle of wine to each of our rooms. The room was a mini suite with a living area and kitchenette and lovely washroom with double vanity and then a bedroom area separated by a door. Each day we would return to our room and find it spotless and all towels, coffee, soap etc. replaced. There was a pool outside our room with a swim up bar and just behind that a restaurant that looked out onto the golf course. The service at the restaurant was fantastic. David and Roger were very kind to look after us. The chef would cook you whatever you wanted. The food was always fresh and hot and presented in a top notch way. When we needed help with booking a tour or changing one the Concierge department went out of their way to help us. We could go to the other resorts for the beach or performances but come back to this very quiet and relaxing hotel. Down side. This depends on your comfort zone. For our group no down sides. But there was a couple of things I noticed that people had mentioned in reviews that might bother some people. Because the restaurant is wide open birds fly in. We would just shoo them out and no big deal. Someone also mentioned there were too many cats. There were two cats and a few kittens. I would not be able to bring my daughter there because she is allergic to cats. Once again, if they came near us we just shooed them away. For us these two things did not take away from our stay at this amazing resort.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank EveSaskatoon
Reviewed January 9, 2011

I donated money towards a colleagues' nonprofit and got this 5 nite stay as a bonus for being one of the firsts to donate. I chose this hotel because of the bad ratings of its affiliate location Ocean Hotel nearby. The suite was above average, clean and in a nice quiet location which is what I wanted. However it's located in a vacation rental location so it's a good 15 minute walk up to the main street to take the local buses. But I am proud to say that we both lost weight at this location from all the walking and being on the European plan, we were constantly walking around looking for decent meals. BIG TURNOFF was the timeshare sales pitch, it was not 90 minutes, more like 3+ hours and they were pushy as hell, I WILL NEVER attend another one, the locations they pitched was beautiful but the money they were asking for makes no sense for a family of 2 with only 1 week of vacation each year and the sales manager was nasty and pushy.
There is a small Grocery Store nearby that you can buy bottle water, beer, snacks and etc from. I think I am one of those people that must bring their own tempur pedic pillow because I could not sleep on the hotel pillow.

We spent 1 whole day on the La Isla de las Mujeres, take the Yellow Trans ferry, it's a big boat and it was fast. The one we took was small and took 1 hour to and from. Spend the money about 500 pesos to rent one of the golf carts for about 5 hours to get around the island. The view from Sur Ponte was amazing, too bad it's too rocky to go down.
And driving along the shore line offered amazing views. We had lunch at restaurant near the Turtle Farm, do not recommend, fish special was not fresh and we were attacked by flies sitting near the beach. The coconut ice for $1US was amazing for the small cup.

Weather during January - about 2 - 3 hours of sunny 78 degree weather each day, then it turns windy and chilly for the rest of the day, so bring sweatshirts. Overall it was an OK trip, not thrilling or relaxing as I want.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank SMW_718
Reviewed December 23, 2010

My friends and I stayed at Laguna Suites through a promotional deal, like most of the other reviews I've read. We were picked up from the airport by the shuttle, and waited about 15 minutes before the other passengers arrived and we left for the hotel. Cancun is shaped like a 7, with all the fancy hotels being on the long part of the 7 and the cheaper ones being on the top of the 7. Laguna Suites is on a small island/isthmus at the corner of the 7.

The pool was small, but it had a swim up bar, which was nice. The tiles were a little old, but a pool is a pool. Behind the bar and the pool is an outdoor eating area. The food was okay, but I got a little sick afterwards. We didn't eat there again, because it was pretty expensive if you were not all-inclusive. Also, birds kept flying through the area, so that was annoying. The golf course was nice to look at.

The staff was friendly and professional. We had to remind them to refresh our towels once, but the room was cleaned every day. The concierge does try to get you to do a presentation, but you just have to tell him you don't want to. However, one of them told us we could book the scuba diving excursion in the morning. DON'T do that. It's gonna sell out! So that was annoying.

But we did do Chichenitza excursion. Bring lots of food and lots of water. The bus was fine, nothing fancy, but it got us there. The tour guide was knowledgeable but kept trying to sell us things. DON'T BUY THINGS ON THE WAY to Chichenitza, because they will be WAY cheaper when you get there. Trust me on this.

The rooms at Laguna were fine, very plain and basic. The mattresses were hard though - ouch! We had a double sink and a couch. Get an upper floor room and you can have a balcony. The whole place was very quiet, at night and during the day. The kitchen area left a lot to be desired, there was a fridge that never got cold, and no microwave. So don't buy lots of food until you make sure you have a fridge.

The bathroom was European style - with a shower "area" that had a border around it. Just prepare yourself and don't put stuff on the floor, as it will probably get wet.

It was easy enough to get around, as the shuttles left every hour or sooner. You could easily get to one of the other three hotels, on the beach, or go to a bigger pool. You could walk from the Sunset Royal to shopping areas, or just take a taxi.

Other than that, if you need somewhere quiet to stay, come here. If you want more action, try looking on the long side of the 7.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family