“A Must Visit Gem in Cancun!!!”
Review of Tacun

Tacun
Ranked #91 of 1,034 Restaurants in Cancun
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We read about Tacun through Tripadvisor and thought to visit this gem of a restaurant while on our recent trip to Cancun. We stayed at a 5 star resort down the road and took the bus, which dropped us off right in front of the Plaza Flamingo (it costs about $1 US per person to ride the bus). Tacun is across the street and a block south of the plaza. A worthwhile trip that we ended up making quite a few times during our recent stay. Once we had experienced the terrific food at Tacun's, we gave up eating at our resort. The quality of the food at Tacun is second to none and the price was excellent consideriing it is located on hotel row/strip. We had the garlic shrimp which was absolutely the BEST I have ever had and they are so fresh, they were swimming in the sea the night before. They come head on with all of the goodies inside that true seafood lovers enjoy. I also had the whole caribbean lobster (fresh caught that morning!) prepared with garlic, along with 6 garlic shrimp and it was the best I have ever had. It was split down the middle with all of the goodies inside (again, a must have for me eating lobster) and it was delicious and juicy. You can get just the tail if you prefer...I just prefer the whole lobster. My wife and daughters had the beef enchiladas and fajitas and they were to die for delicious. We loved this place so much that we ate there several times for lunch/dinner and even for breakfast! The "Rancher's Eggs" for breakfast were just awesome and a must have for breakfast is the fruit plate that had perfect papaya, pineapple, melon, strawberries, and apples...just awesome.
The food here was priced right and simply excellent. I met the owner and the entire staff and they were just great with a dedication to serving the highest quality food! The service was excellent and everyone was kind and generous, always there attentively to answer your questions with a smile. Everything in Tacun is homemade with pride using only the freshest ingredients. I only wish I had them in my neighborhood today for lunch!!!
Finally, if you don't eat the flan dessert, you will miss one of the great meal ending, mouth watering events known to mankind. It simply cannot be missed...EAT THE FLAN. It is delicous and NOT TOO SWEET! I miss it already.
The four of us ate lunch for around $40 (3 days in a row!!!), but in all fairness, we ordered and ate everything that we wanted: meals for 4 people, including beers, cokes, dessert, etc..., like real hedonists! We ordered multiple meals with shrimp and lobster and everything else under the sun several times. A lobster meal will cost more (daily market value), but well worth it. A similar meal with lobster at our hotel was $300+! The food at Tacun was far superior in quality to our 5 star resort and WAY CHEAPER. You could taste the freshness of the food and the seafood was what dreams are made of!!!
Quality, quality, quality! Make sure you visit Tacun on your next trip to Cancun! We can't wait to return to Tacun. Thank you, Tacun!!!:-)

1  Thank 227RobertD

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We have passed this restaurant many times in years past and then I read reviews on Trip Advisor and recommended to our group of 8 that we try Tacun.

OMG, it was delicious!!! When I walked up to the restaurant the first thing I noticed was a spit with meat on it, juices just a flowing down from it and it had a color of orangy red. I could have walked up to the spit and started eating it right then and there (it was pork on the spit). we were not disappointed at all.

Our recommendations would be anything with the pork (of course). Gringa, fish, pastor and rajas tacos, the rajas were roasted poblano, onion and cheese and had a great roasted flavor. The tortas had a crusty roll with your choice of meat. And lastly the mole chicken, the grilled fish and fajitas were equally delicious.

If you are a fan of margaritas, the mango and strawberry were made with the freshest fruit and the right amount of tequila!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

If you want a real local Mexican food, this is the place to be. It's a small place located along plaza flamingo. Very tasty food, excellent crew, good price.

1  Thank MG B
Reviewed September 11, 2013

You must try this restaurant!

My sister and I stayed at an all-inclusive (see my review for Riu Peninsula) but wanted to try something different on our last night in town. After reading the reviews for this place, we went... and were not disappointed.

First, let's clarify where it is, because it took some time to find it. It is approximately 1 block south of Margaritaville/Outback/Bubba Gump, across from an "Extra". It is literally 6 tables under an awning on the sidewalk.

We got there before the dinner "rush", at about 7pm. We were seated right away, and a gentleman who spoke very good English explained the menu to us and brought our drinks. I make the comment about the English, because our Spanish is limited to counting to ten and asking where the bathrooms are; when you go somewhere that is not a typical tourist location, it can sometimes be a challenge to communicate.

We were given a basket of fresh tortilla chips and some salsa options on a little lazy susan. There was mild, hot, and habanero, refried beans, as well as some limes and onions and cilantro. Delish!

We ordered fish tacos and quesadillas for an appetizer, and fajitas and enchiladas for our entree. The entrees came out first, and about 5 minutes later, the appetizers came out. Not quite sure what happened there, but we ended up with a table FULL of food.

The fish tacos were great. Nothing special without the sauce, but the fish was fried, crispy and flaky. The tortillas stayed intact and the overall taste was wonderful. The quesadillas only got sampled that night, but were fabulous leftovers the next morning. The fajitas were a little heavy on the veggies, but they did not skimp on the chicken at all. The flavor was excellent and the chicken was cooked perfectly; not dry, not undercooked and not rubbery. The enchiladas were covered in red salsa and bursting with flavor. The meat in them was tender and flavorful.

We did not have enough room for dessert, unfortunately. When our bill came, we were very pleasantly surprised at how reasonably priced everything was. Two of us ate at LOT of food for $40.

In short - you must try this place. I will be recommending it to anyone I hear of going to Cancun.

3  Thank Amanda H
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

All things great- service, food, menu - and the best value in the area. Very accommodating; if they don't have what you want, they run across the street to the mercado to get it!

2  Thank Brian C