“A Carribean Holiday Inn Express”

Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
Ranked #21 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
London KY
“A Carribean Holiday Inn Express”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Let me preface my remarks by saying that this was our first trip to Cancun.

SAFETY: I had had this destination on my bucket list for years, but my husband was apprehensive due to safety concerns. I'm thrilled to say those concerns were definitely unfounded, as we felt completely at ease throughout our vacation. We even ventured off the property on several occasions, taking advantage of the $1 bus ride. Just do it....

ROOM: As far as the hotel room itself, I was a wee bit disappointed, as I had expected something more luxurious for the price we paid. I would rate it as an average Holiday Inn Express with fancy common areas. Very clean, but stark and contemporary which simply isn't our taste.

FOOD: We concur completely with all the other posts as far as the restaurant reservation system - it's the pits. Arriving on Sunday, the first reservation we were able to make was for our evening meal on Tuesday, leaving us with the buffet or Italian for Sunday and Monday. In our opinion, skip the Italian - our least favorite meal overall. We enjoyed the steakhouse twice, and the Krystal Fusion and the Japanese restaurants once. The breakfast was pleasing and plentiful. Don't dare miss the Cappuccino kiosk, as we were spoiled nightly with the delicious desserts.

SERVICE: I could write pages about the above and beyond service staff at Riu Palace Peninsula. Absolutely wonderful in every area. Though it is an all-inclusive facility, we tipped liberally and wish we could have done more - it was that kind of service. Just remarkable!

SHOPPING & ENTERTAINMENT: The in-house entertainment was lacking overall. I would categorize it as second or third string cruise acts. Enjoyed shopping, though there were definitely no bargains to be found. If you like the banter at the open market in Nassau, you will love it here, as vendors were always ready to play let's make a deal...only there were no "deals".

EXCURSIONS: We highly recommend booking any off-property events with Jose and the folks at Lomas Travel. Ask at the front desk and have them hook you up. Those guys know how to take care of you! Wonderful!

SMOKER'S PARADISE: We are NOT smokers and had forgotten what it was like to be inundated by those who are. Cough, cough...gag, gag....

FINAL NOTE: I don't know if we will ever go back to Cancun, as we enjoyed a dream vacation in Hawaii for less $$$. BUT we shared this experience with my younger brother and his wife, and life-time memories were made. And it sure is hard to put a price tag on those.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Karen B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,394)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here April 19-24 we came here after spending 5 days in Playa Del Carmen at a Secrets.
We stayed in an ocean front villa walk out suite, it was wonderful and so easy to access we always had a pool side chair, jacuzzi on balcony room was cleaned everyday and we never even had to use our towel cards on our villa side, which I must add is kid free and wonderful!
We never did go to any reservation restaurants here we tried the buffet and italian and those were both excellent alot of selection at the buffet every morning and we never waited for a table at either.
Staff very friendly everywhere we loved Fernando at the villa pool such a nice guy we def tipped him throughout the day!
I would recommend this resort to family and friends 100%

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CReykdal
Red Wing, Minnesota
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Beautiful resort, excellent service, top shelf booze, and great food. Had no problem getting into specialty restaraunt. Free wi fi , 24 hr room service,,, other all inclusives do not compare. I'll be going back! From check in to check out perfect trip.

Room Tip: Choose regular resort over the villas unless your main objective is to avoid kids in the pool. Your...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank larends
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Spend 6 days at the Riu! 4/16-4/22 with 12 of my family members. it was the best trip ever! This was my first time in Cancun. This hotel is clean, beautiful and the ocean view rooms breathtaking! The food was great, the bartenders and staff are amazing & so attentive with the guest! The pools were nice and the walking distance to the beach was good! I took my 8 year old, and the entertainment staff were wonderful with kids of all ages!! We did not want to leave! Definitely will be back in the future.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank tanisha83
Grand Island, New York
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Beautiful and clean brand new grounds. Excellent room and amenities. Restaraunts were all high quality. Service impeccable as well. Enjoyed the pool and beach area immensely. Waiters are plentiful so you are never without a drink in hand while pool lounging. Very friendly staff from checkin onwards.We enjoyed the lobby pastry bar. Room service was very good also. Can't wait to return!!!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank DebTimGI
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Good hotel in general but with all the money spent to build this hotel it could have been a bit better(that's being picky) but near everything by walking distance ..first room was smelling weird They changed it for us no problem. Great front desk response service .. Food was great. Pools amazing I like the quiet but party type and we found that there.. Would suggest the hotel, don't forget to take the ferry to visit isla mujeres (right next door ferry) .

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mrmontreal1
Reviewed April 22, 2014

My stay in this hotel was awesome, the room service was excellent, view was good and most of all the food and the bar was amazing..nice place to stay...the best thing was the bartenders and staff asking if we need a drink or not....a walk around the hotel, along the streets with all the view was extra super good...privacy with all the enjoyment makes it a perfect hotel especAilly if you trVEL with your friends like i do

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ralte D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
GR Caribe by Solaris
GR Caribe by Solaris
#25 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula? Share your experiences!