“Great Hotel”

Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
Ranked #23 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Just returned from 2 weeks at the Riu Palace Peninsula, and for the first time ever on a holiday, I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever. The Hotel is new, modern, and spotlessly clean. Check in was easy and we were upgraded to a Superior Suite on the 12th Floor which was a nice surprise, the room was superb, loads of space, fully stocked bar with plenty of water, soft drinks beer, with Vodka, Tequila, Brandy, and Rum in optics in a cabinet on the wall which was a nice touch. The Balcony was massive, with great views over the pool and the sea.

Food was great, catering for everyone's taste breakfast choice was hot varied, and as usual the staff were great, I am missing Selene's lovely smile and greeting already, and whilst there are 5 restaurants we only ever ate in the Buffet as we were out on a lot of excursions so didn't want to book, but the food was always great with loads of choice, always hot and the service we got from our waiter Samuel was exceptional, I don't know what he gets paid but whatever it is it isn't enough, so when you walk into the buffet restaurant from reception take a table on the left just inside the door as you walk into the main restaurant and I promise you wont be disappointed.

Pools and grounds were immaculate, they just never stop cleaning, and pretty much every member of staff you meet always greet you, and always look happy.

We spent most of our time on the beach, and yes there are some rocks, but I think that adds to the charm of the place and not once did we struggle to get a bed and parasol on the main sand beach whatever time we turned up. Again the service on the Beach was fantastic the waiter there Cruz must walk 10 miles a day and turns up as soon as you are empty to see if you need another drink, the smile you get at 9.00am is still on his face at 5.30pm.

Unlike other Hotels I have been too tipping here is just never mentioned or expected, but on this holiday the service we received was so unbelievably good it really deserved our appreciation.

Personally I would disregard any negatives you read about this place as some people are never satisfied, but we just couldn't fault it, and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We were upgraded and had a superior sea view room on the 12th Floor which was fantastic, but we didn...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Tony H
Write a ReviewReviews (5,392)

Reviewed March 22, 2014

This was the third time to Cancun, hands down the best resort I stayed at. Food was great, rooms were nice, and overall clean. There was people cleaning the resort all the time, very clean. Beach was rocky, but they had a great pool area. Plenty of activities to do, shows very night in the theater. One of the best vacations I ever been on! Highly recommend this resort.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kyle C
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We are brand loyal Riu customers and have stayed at many of the properties. We have our favorites and was hoping to add this one to the list....

Pros: the room is immaculate at all times. Housekeeping comes in numerous times a day to clean, turn down the bed, and simply to check if you need towels or anything else. The minibar is stocked everyday with drinks and water and although the layout is "odd" we found it to be the nicest room of any Riu we've stayed at. Our view was spectacular from the 15tg floor. I doubt there is a bad view here as all room, except villas, face the ocean.

The food was great. Those complaining could not possibly be frequent all inclusive travelers. Without a doubt the best of any resort I have ever stayed at, hands down. And I'm pretty picky. Steak, lobster, shrimp....all abundant and readily available.

The service was amazing. We do know many of the employees as they came from other Riu properties but regardless, the went above and beyond. Victor at the front desk is without a doubt the BEST front house manager I have come across in any country. And Luis and Juan with the entertainment team simply made are stay fantastic.

The cons: I found the pools to be oddly shaped, oddly placed, and definitely not nearly as beautifully landscaped as their other properties. It was a cement heaven that reminded me of a local outdoor pool. The swim up bar pool is nothing but a huge bathroom. In our 8 days there we watched in disgust as the same 30 people sat there ALL DAY drinking. Rarely, if ever, did someone get out and walk to the bathroom. At night the pool was an obvious different color and cloudy. It was disgusting to say the least.

The spa: my husband always treats me to massage at Renova spa (located in all Riu properties). The massage was excellent but we paid almost double for the same service as their other properties.... Something I thought was nothing more than extortion due to the name of the hotel. I could walk next door and get the same thing for a much better price!

Value: our real test of value was a comparison to their other properties in Cancun. Very little justifies the extra $1000 we spent to stay here than any of there other properties. I simply could not find $1000 worth of value! All the Rius are great but save the grand and go to the Riu Caribe or Riu Cancun. They have the same exceptional service, same food, and better pools!

Overall we will stay loyal to Riu just not the Palace. There is no reason to spend extra money on the exact same product.

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank JamieD712
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We stayed in February and spent half of our vacation at Riu Palace Las Americas prior to coming here. We had a speedy check in and given a room on the 7th floor. We had a gorgeous view and nice balcony. We really liked the modern look of the room. Being a new resort we liked the freshness of it all. The king bed was very comfortable. There was a Jacuzzi in the room but we never used it. Housekeeping did a great job each morning.

The food at the buffet was good and we only ate at one restaurant. At the Steakhouse we both had steak and lobster and really enjoyed our meal. We didn’t have a reservation but costumer relations had put us on a waiting list and we had no problem getting a table.

There are numerous bars throughout the resort so you had no problem getting a drink. The lobby bar seemed to be quite popular before and after going to dinner.

If you like pools then you would love this place. There are at least four pools and never a problem getting a chair either in the sun or shade. We really liked the pool bar which had a shaded sitting area.

We didn’t use the beach but it seemed like no problem to get a chair.

We like to get on the go and not spend our whole time at the resort. There is a trail outside the resort which runs along the whole Cancun strip. Great for walking or running. The Ado bus stops outside the resort and you can go anywhere. We went back to Las Americas for an afternoon visit and also went to Walmart on the Ado. The cost was less than 10 pesos per person which was quite inexpensive.

We also took a day trip to Playa Del Carmen via the Ado bus system. We had a great time. We Spent some time on 5th Ave and then walked up the beach to Riu Palace Riviera Maya and had lunch there. Because we were staying at Riu Pennisula we had privileges at all the other Riu resorts and wanted to see what they were like. We didn’t get back until late and had to eat at the Sports bar. The hamburger and cold Tecate was quite good after a long day.

Overall, we had a great time and can’t wait to get back to Mexico.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kateman
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Just come back from a 2 week holiday in Palace Peninsula and I must say this is the definition of 'Paradise' the best hotel I have ever stayed in,definitely 5 star. The staff are amazing and can't do enough for you. The food was outstanding and plenty of it, 5 A la carte restaurants within this hotel, tried everyone which was amazing!!! The best waiter for us was Dario (what a star) and Ulises (Bar Manager) couldn't do enough for us, went all out of his way to make our stay memorable and booked us into VIP restaurant for my daughters birthday. The entertainment team were the best ever (Luis was our favourite) and activities were ongoing all day. I would love to go back next year and would like to thank all the hard working staff at the hotel for making our holiday the most mmemorable one ever!!!! I will certainly reccommend this place.
Thankyou so much to you all, Denise, Martyn & Emma from England

Room Tip: Ask for sea view, breathtaking!!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Denise P
Reviewed March 20, 2014

My cousin and I had a great time at the "Purple Palace" as we called it. He had arrived an hour earlier than me and was able to get us two upgraded rooms on the 14th floor, which was a great surprise when I got there. For anyone wanting a real ocean view, stay away from the villas because they're only 3 levels high and have no real view whatsoever. We were almost tempted to book this type of room but I'm SO GLAD we didn't, our view was amazing as we could see the wide open ocean and a partial view of the lagoon as well. It was so funny because their neighboring partner hotel, the Riu Caribe looked like a toy compared to our "Palace", lol! It was frat boy heaven too so thank God we didn't book there..

As it's been discussed before the hotel has a fabulous layout of pools throughout the grounds with plenty of lounge chairs and a nice poolside buffet of food which i personally couldn't get enough of. The grilled chicken was juicy and delicious plus when mixed with a few vodka/cranberries? Winning!! We were loving life on the beach even with the rock formations it didn't bother us at all while in the water. We were able to throw the football around, jump off the pier and swim as long as we liked with no problem. The waiters were attentive and relatively prompt beachside and in the hotel as a whole. We only did the specialty restaurant one night as we preferred the buffet selections better and we ran into quite a few people who preferred this as well. Oh, I must say that you will have to tell the bartenders to "double up" sometimes as the drinks can be weak so don't be shy, just ask for it. This was our M.O. before we went out in the Cancun Nightlife, 5 or 6 strong drinks before we headed out and BAM! 4 nights of this and we were fantastically partied out, lol!!

One area that they MUST and I do mean MUST fix is their sports bar food. It is absolutely disgusting, and I don't care how late or early we went there, the food was horrible. Whether it was the hot dogs, the nachos, the sandwiches, or even the fruit it always left a bad taste in our mouths. If they can't refresh their food then they shouldn't be open 24 hours, just close up and we'll count our losses. This place doesn't even belong in the hotel. You've been warned people..

Overall, we loved our stay though and we will be back at the "Purple Palace" before the year is out.

Room Tip: Avoid the villas if you want that REAL ocean view...
Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank marklife
Reviewed March 20, 2014

What a great experience from the moment we arrived we felt welcomed. We arrived around 2:30pm which we thought would be prime time for check in but was quite the opposite. There was a young lady giving drinks while you waited (alcoholic and non alcoholic). The lady who attended us was very nice and attentive. I told her we were celebrating my wifes birthday and she upgraded us to a an ocean view at no charge. We had to wait for the room for about a half hr so we went to eat at the buffet. Quite a selection of food. American, Mexican , Italian and salads with a lot of extras. The food was good and the servers were attentive at all times. Everyone always said hello and My drink was always filled. As a waiter myself I felt uncomfortable when leaving and always left gratuity (which is optional). What I learned the first day is this : IF you are not there in the morning the bookings for the restaurants fill up very quick BUT! BUT! BUT! the days that we wanted to eat we went and people always cancel the restaurants were never filled. So I would check being thats what we did did when we could not get reservations.
The only bad experience we had was at the Steakhouse. We were sat and the waiter took our order forgot about us everyone got their food but us. The food was ok and just wanted to get out I guess it was the service that ruined the whole experience. Mexican restaurant was unbelievable. The server knew it was my wifes birthday and sang with the whole staff and gave her a shot of tequila after! It was priceless. We didn't do Japanese although I hear it was very good. The rest of the food everywhere else was above average. Don't forget to stop at the Capuchino place to get your favorite types of coffees and desserts. There is a bartender named Diego who was like a Rock Star there he was just on point with all drinks and quick everybody would chant his name we were just blown away how good this guy was.
Pool service was good and there was always activities all day. There was no need to leave if you chose not to. They had a beach party on Saturday night and magic shows and karaoke on other nights.
Room service was good we only needed pineapple juice to mix our drinks and we were told it would take about half hr. They arrived in 10 minutes. The rooms were clean and they came 2x a day to check to make sure we had enough towels. In the evening they would make our bed for us. It was really nice.
The only complaint I have is there was an elevator that was down so we had to wait a while sometimes to go down or up. I didn't mind we were on the fourth floor but we were in an elevator once with a couple that was on the 12 floor they said it felt like forever.
Overall the experience was unbelievable, from the moment we arrived the bellboy took our bags up and explained everything in detail to the front desk to the staff to the management to the overall service we ould definitely come back. Great memories that we will always cherish!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple