“Riu Palace Peninsula”

Ranked #19 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Waldorf, Maryland
“Riu Palace Peninsula”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I hadn't been to Cancun in 15 years and was a bit concerned about going back. I chose Cancun this year due to the new Riu Palace there......I was overly surprised....The resort is spectacular, the service and food wonderful, the people extremely friendly and it's proximity to activities great. I would definitely add this resort as one of my top favorites. Absolutely no complaints.

Room Tip: The Villas - ground floor, pool front......Cannot be beat!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank LiseCool

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,361)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
St Louis, MO
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Travelled with Apple Vacations direct from StL. Arrived at 11am greeted by Daniel at check-in. One room ready and one not ready until 3pm. No problem, threw everything in one room and off we go. Daniel tried to tell me we were upgraded but I didn't fall for it, same room we paid for.
Room: modern with comfy bed and linens. Huge Walk in shower with hooks and shelves which I loved. Rainhead and handheld shower heads. Jetted tub between bed and vanity was nice. Liquor cabinet with 4 large bottles of jose, Bacardi, gin, and whiskey with dispenser. Fridge stocked with beer, mixers, and water. Our fridge did not work but replaced immediately. Balcony with ocean views. Can be noisy until after 11pm from open bar and bands below.
Pools: close at 7pm so they can throw chemicals in and clean up. Night swim is not an option. Swim up pool bar is nice but I can't help but think of all the piss in the pool. It gets really rowdy by 6pm. Infinity pool is perfect depth and very large. Zero entry pool is sizable and seemed to be where kiddos would be. Plenty of loungers everywhere. Bali beds very limited.
Beach: beautiful with rocks and fine white sand. Some areas have steps carved in rock to get to water which didn't bother me at all. Another area is walk in to water so you have options. Very little sea grass, water is crystal clear and calm. No waves for boogie boards. Water sports available down beach at RIU caribe, easy walk. Not private so locals and vendors constantly.
Service: Javier on the beach was awesome. We tipped and he kept coming. Even when we were in the water he looked for us and we gave him a signal for another round. All staff was attentive no matter tip or not but a tip never hurts.
Restaurants: Italian does not require reservations and open for lunch and dinner. Nice appetizer bar with antipasto, salads, pasta, pizza, bruschetta, carpaccio, etc then you order entree with choice of beef, stuffed chicken breast, shrimp linguine, grilled fish. Dessert bar and ice cream to finish.
Buffet: huge with abundance of options. Very Americanized but good. No reason for anyone to complain.
Krystal: fusion cuisine. 4 courses. Good meal. Steak and fish were really good. 2 dessert options both yummy.
Steakhouse: patio seating which is breezy so wear hair up or back. Salad course, then family style cold seafood platter with crab legs, muscles, shrimp, salmon. Choose entree and dessert. Steak cooked perfectly but food got cold quickly from wind.
Japanese: did not partake, closed some nights
Mexican: seemed typical and unexciting, didn't try.
Reservations have to be made 48hr in advance so call guest services 2 days before arrival to start!
Room service 24hr but limited options. Sports bar 24 hr with food options and plenty of TV's
Spa: service great, nice gym, beachside massage was ok. No curtains for privacy, noisy from pools. I recommend 6:30p start so the sun is going down and noise is winding down. Steakhouse looks out over massage palapa so that's weird
Contact me for questions

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank GoGirlStL
Ashland, Kentucky
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I just returned from Cancun on October the 6th. We had stayed at the
Riu Palace Las Americas the end of May of this year and were still bubbling from our experience there, but from the moment we arrived at the Riu Palace Peninsula we were treated like royalty.
The decor is a bit Edgy and quite different from the Las Americas. But different is not bad. I would call the Peninsula "Ultra Modern", where of course the Las Americas is more "Old World".,
We run a Travel Agency, Christie Cruise and Travel Masters from Ashland, KY (United States)
Fortunately this allows us to travel a couple of times a year to check out first hand the different
resorts. Riu Palace Peninsula does not disappoint. We did have trouble with our ceiling fan not working but after we found it could not immediately be repaired the Hotel offered to move us
to another room which was actually even nicer than the first. All we had to do was gather our
belongings and the front desk sent someone to move our luggage to the new room. As someone who has operated a business of one sort or other for over 30 years I have learned that one cannot prevent problems from happening, but how one handles those problems is what sets your business apart from the rest. That is what the Riu properties do. Instead of ignoring the problem with the fan, they took action and satisfied the customer by giving us another room.

As I saw in another review, I agree that the views are spectacular. We were on the top floor, and consequently our view was amazing, but last year we stayed on a lower floor and were
still quite happy with the view.

If laying in the sun is your thing (It is mine) then try lying on the bluff just at the end of the
quiet pool. You have the pool to your back for a quick dip, but you have the view of the rocks
and ocean breeze as you look out over that beautiful blue water. This is my spot.

The food is quite good. We mostly ate at the Buffet as I don't like being tied down by having
to make reservations while on vacation. However, the Italian Restaurant does not require
reservations and the food there is outstanding, as our the Waitors.

The Entertainment (nightly shows) I thought were quite good. We went to see them a couple
of times during our 7 night stay and we were not disappointed. Several of the other nights my
husband sat out on the balcony enjoying the music and he said those shows were quite impressive as well.

The staff that puts on the daily pool activities are wonderful and quite funny actually. I am more
likely to observe than to participate in any kind of activities but they are quite fun to watch. The
same pool staff were the hosts of the Party on the Beach on Saturday night before we left and
everyone had fun. The staff at the Party would not allow me to just observe, and even though
they couldn't convince my husband to join in they did convince me and it was a lot of fun.

Overall we had a wonderful Vacation and we think the Riu Palace Peninsula is awesome. My
husband and I discussed it before we left and even though the Riu Palace Las Americas will
forever be in our hearts, we both agreed that if we can make it to Cancun twice a year we will
definitely want to stay at the Peninsula every year as well.

Happy Traveling!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Judy J
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Pool and Beach area are great. Food really good and waiters really service minded. Reception and cleaning staff not so good. Got poorer room than what we paid for under the cover of that we were 'upgraded' . Found out last day it wasn't true.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Reisepia
Bronx, New York
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

I stud a week at Riu Palace Peninsula when I got to the hotel I was greeted by German Calderón in the lobby from the beginning of my vacation to the end I was help with all my NEED  German help me to book all my excursions and answered all my questions because of German Calderón I had one the best vacation ever I would definitely recommend grayline tours and mayaland tours to all my friends.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Heckie1
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I have just got back from this hotel and was amazed at what I had seen and witnessed. When you first arrive it looks amazing the deco is second to none and the foods nice could not fault that however it lacked health and safety the floors are mable very nice you may say but a death trap when wet I was there for two weeks when they were cleaning the floors which they do all the time which is good however they failed to put up signs to say they were wet so I and others had slipped and fell for me resulting in a broken foot with no help from the hotel management we had to ask did they have a wheel chair I felt they were turning a blind eye to any injuries done on there premises they did not seem consurned about it but when we kept on complaining they were then putting up signs to say floor wet even when they weren't I could not believe the amount of walking wounded and also be aware of the floors in the room as they are slippy too when wet as I met people who had slipped in there rooms.
But beware a lot of young Americans Who come for weekend breaks nothing a matter with that but there was a couple of fights that happend at the piano bar and innocent by standards got hit not what you want from a five star hotel and its suposed to be a family hotel i would not like to bring my children here, plus we had things taken from our safe and room it cost a lot of money to come here and I felt I did not get value for money the only thing I did get was a night mare holiday from start to finish.
So if you fancy a holiday at this hotel and you don't mind getting hurt or watching fighting then this is the place to be am sure your family will enjoy it not.

Entertainment well I thought I was in for a treat how wrong was I this is my fourth year in Mexico and I have stayed in some fabulous hotels which offer much more than the Riu with entertainment second to none.

On the possative side the views were amazing I just never got the chance to enjoy it!! :(

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Maria A
Liverpool
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed in the Riu Palace in September 2013 and it was simply excellent. I will round up a few key notes.

Check in - was smooth and easy we arrived about 3pm and our room was ready and waiting with a nice gift from the hotel.

Room - Perfect nice hot shower comfortable bed effective air conditioning and freshly stocked mini bar every day.

Pools - There are plenty of pools and each seemed more quiet or lively than the others. We opted to stay by the water polo pool as this is where most of the entertainment was and we met most friends here.

Entertainment team - A big shout out to my boy Juan he nailed it kept us so entertained but we loved the other guys too, Omar, Tiguana and Israel. These guys really made our holiday and are great fun. Make sure you go on the nights out with them as it is crazy.

Bar staff - Shout out to Salavador who kept us sufficently watered by the pool we didnt have to move once, its always good to tip these guys and it definately goes a LONG way, try out the lemon drop shots and the scooby doos for a good time.

Food - I have read loads of people complaining about the food, I dont see why there was not one thing I didnt like, there was soooo much choice and the staff were constantly cooking new foods. The buffet had a different theme every night which varied things up. We tried the restaurants also again food excellent. Im not saying michelin star excellent but good enough.

Maid service - the maid for our room was lovely Angela we made sure to tip her frequently as our room would always be cleaned early and we would have towel animals created for us.

Now for the negative and this is nothing to do with the hotel - If you are from the UK and travelling with Thomson Gary the rep is useless and provided the worst service ever. They cancelled a pirate ship excursion without notifying us they were going to do so and left us in the lobby for an hour, this was not captain hook but Thomson, the Thomson excursions are far more expensive than if you pruchase from within the hotel and I would recomend Hotel Beds to purchase from.

Excursions we recommend

Isla Murjes - Take the ferry over its only a 5 minute walk from the hotel the island is great and you can hire golf buggies to drive around and exploree.

Xplor - A great day out for anybody if you like adventures and heights

Coco Bongos - An excellent show

Captain Hook - When we finally went on it a really really good excursion very entertaining

Senor Frogs - if you like to party here is good place to get wasted and if you book online its only $45 inculding all drinks.

I hope you find this review informative please feel free to message me for any more details.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter - All have a sea view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple