“One Night Stay - Awesome!”

Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula
Ranked #20 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Burlington, Canada
“One Night Stay - Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We only stayed one night at the Riu Peninsula in Cancun, but I was very impressed with the hotel. When our return flight to Toronto was cancelled, our airline put us up at the Riu Peninsula overnight - I wish I had stayed the entire week at this hotel!

Despite the last minute "reservation", the hotel staff was very efficient and courteous at check in. They were sympathetic to every stranded traveller, which went a LONG way with weary folks who had spent the last 16 hours at the airport. Although the restaurant was closed when we got there, room service was available, but we headed to the bar for a drink instead :) Loved the fact that premium alcohol was included - most other resorts only include "domestic brands" in the AI package.

Our room was very nice and clean and overlooked the ocean. We were on the 8th floor - not too high, not too low, no complaints.

Resort was very well maintained, lots of lounge chairs available, no matter what time of day (okay, we only stayed at the resort until 1 pm the next day, but compared to the resort we had been at for the rest of the week where loungers were reserved by 5 am, this was awesome!)

We are now looking at booking our 2014 getaway and are definitely considering the Riu Peninsula; not sure how you could find anything better.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travlr36

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,318)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

This hotel is absolutely amazing. Unlike other RIU hotels that are generally traditional in style, this facility is contemporary in design. It is immaculately clean; you could smell the freshness walking through the hallways, lobby, or any other part of the hotel. Modern room, view from the balcony – breathtaking (we were on the 7th floor). Having a cup of coffee in the morning and looking at the ocean, priceless.
We spent most of our time at the beach; however there are four gorgeous pools to enjoy too. Infinity one, overlooking the beautiful Caribbean, was my personal favorite. RIU’s entertainment group kept people occupied with a lot of pool side activities every single day. Night time shows were amazing. Circus and Mexican night shows were exceptionally good. Mexican night was probably our favorite and we were looking forward to it, simply because we really like the Mariachis!
Food was exceptional, from the buffets to the a la carte restaurants, there was something for everyone. We went to the Steak House, Japanese Kabuki and fusion gourmet Krystal restaurants for three nights in the row and were impressed. Delicious food, beautifully presented – what can I say, plates were going back empty!!!
RIU Palace employees are friendly and warm people. They were all working hard to make our stay at the hotel very pleasant.
I would definitely go back to this hotel. We were quite sad to leave, as we only had five days booked. Looking forward to next one...

Room Tip: Either one would work, but getting a room on a higher floor would make the view better!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed for a week here. This was our second time at this hotel. Food options are good and even the buffet food is very good. Our favorite was the Japanese rest. . Drinks are very good with some top shelf options. We were on the 15th floor with a great view. Room was spacious. Unfortuately it was cloudy and rainy 95% of the time so would suggest not going in september. I would also skip the spa due to below quality services. Overall one of the best hotels we have stayed in Cancun.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank pokeyhaha
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the newly built Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula from 13th April - 22nd April 2013 (all inclusive, 10 nights). I'm 22 and my boyfriend (Craig) is 21. We were looking for the perfect ‘romantic couples holiday’ with some quiet nights where we could just have a nice meal at restaurants but also we wanted a bit of nightlife as well so we could go to clubs and bars and have a few nights out too.... we got everything we wanted with this holiday!
We booked with Thomson Holidays, we had a funny moment in the travel agents when we were looking through the brochures at other hotels and we came across one called Temptations Hotel and spa, later after looking into the hotel we found out it was in fact a swinger’s hotel! Thank god the travel agent noticed before we paid otherwise we would have had a very different type of holiday than we wanted! Ha! I guess we should have realised with a name like that to be honest :)
Anyway we were very excited to stay at the RIU Palace when we were told it had only just finished being built in June 2012, because we were some of the first people to stay at the hotel and experience it. It was exactly what the brochure described. We were a little worried because the pictures were not the real pictures of the hotel because it was not finished when we booked it at the beginning of 2012, but the travel agent insisted that we would not be disappointed and the pictures that ‘Riu Hotels’ advertise before the hotels are built are always very close, if not exact, to what the RIU Hotels will be when they are finished and she didn’t lie! When we got there everything was the same, if not better than the pictures in the brochure!
WHEN WE ARRIVED
-------------------------------
We were treated like royalty all the way through the holiday, even when we got off the plane after the 10 hour flight from UK to Cancun airport, a man took our bags and carried them for us to the taxi (then he wanted a tip), me thinking he was joking laughed at first then realised he was being serious and gave him some money. Even during the taxi transfer to the hotel, there was a sign saying “All tips welcome! “ We quickly realised that if we started giving tips to everyone we would quickly run out of money! And then the rep spoke to us about what to expect and to welcome us to beautiful Cancun Mexico!
The Taxi transfer just a shirt journey to the Riu and we quickly saw the hotel (not hard to miss) it was the best looking hotel by far with a huge! Hole through the middle great design!
The bell boy dressed very smart at the front of the hotel took are bags for us while we checked in, (very nice man and he always liked to have a laugh with me and Craig even loved my super woman t-shirt and ended up calling me super chickka by the end of the holiday ha!)
CHECK-IN
------------
When we checked- in the lady with glasses was very friendly and helpful, told us everything we needed to know and we even got a cocktail each when we arrived! after 10 hours it was very welcome!
LOBBY
---------
The entrance lobby area to the hotel is amazing, very modern! I loved how the multi-coloured glass on the roof of the hotel reflected the sun light to the floor of the entrance hallway creating multi coloured circle patterns on the floor, little things like that really makes you realise how much thought has gone into the hotel to make it sooo beautifully stunning! We were told are rooms would be ready in about 20 mins, Craig and I took a walk around.
OUTSIDE/POOL AREAS
-------------------------------
We stepped outside to the pool area and I was blown away it was stunning! There are 3 large pools and 1 swim up bar pool which me and Craig only used a few times because the Americans would sit around the pool being very loud drinking cocktails in groups, I mean I’m all for mingerlin but we mainly stayed in the larger pools. Our favourite was the pool which was a bit like an infinity pool, it looked out onto the beach area. They would put on some pool games and entertainment most days around the pool, volley ball tournaments, swim aerobics, pool games in the pool itself. They tried to make it fun even though it was very very hot! Around 34 degrees, every day! They play music everyday around the pool some new and old but nothing too loud that you could not relax 
Me and my boyfriend loved just to sunbathe and work on our tans. The waiters would come up to you as soon as they saw that you had finished with your drink asking if you want another. FAB service ! We really felt like royalty on this holiday.
Do not worry about going down onto the beach area with your loungers thinking they will not ask you if you want a drink they even come around the beach area to take your order so you can look out onto the ocean, with a cocktail in one hand and soaking in the sun ! Never having to get up to get a drink! What more could you actually ask for!
BEACH
-----------
I was a little disappointed a first how small the beach area looked, but I really did grow to love its charm! I am one of the people who go on holidays mainly for the beach, but I loved how the sands are white and soft under your feet. There are these cute little cove areas where you can sit in or bring your lounger down to, and be right on the beach near the sea it was very ‘sandals holiday’ like. I thought I’d want a large stretched out beach that went on forever, but it felt more of a beach with natural beauty and a bit more secluded which I liked, as if you’re on your own mini desert island, if your still unsure of the beach they do have 2 beaches around the hotel and if you walk further down the beach on the left there is one that is a bit bigger. If you’re still not happy there are always the other hotel beaches to choose from, so you cannot be disappointed for choice really! Whatever floats ya boat.
ROOMS
--------------
The rooms are very modern just like how I like, everything was spotless and I’m very strict when it comes to cleanliness! The maids would give you clean fresh towels everyday and we would even every few days get a knock on the door asking if we needed any new towels at all which was very nice of them.
The only thing we did find was a plaster (or a band aid if your American) in the fridge ewwww! that was a bit mingin! Everything else was spotless though!
The fridge was always well stocked, loved that we had a drink dispenser in the room with vodka, tequila, whiskey on tap whenever we wanted, they said this was replaced daily but it wasn’t but we did not use it that much anyway for it to bother us that much, we did have a few cheeky tequilas when we first arrived.
WE LOVED THE SWANS THAT THE MAIDS LEFT FOR US ON OUR BED, MADE THE DAY WE ARRIVED AND ON OUR LAST DAY! <3
THE HOTEL EVEN GAVE US A WELCOME GIFT NOT MUCH BUT A LOVELY GESTURE! WE ALSO HAD A KNOCK AT THE DOOR OF OUR ROOM WITH A MAN STANDING THERE SAYING “MISS ROSS? FOR YOU...” HE GAVE ME A LITTLE GIFT IT WAS JUST A SMALL BOTTLE OF TIQUILA WHICH CRAIG KEPT SAYING I MUST HAVE ORDERED WHEN I REALLY DID NOT! HAHA FUNNY
FOOD
---------
BREAKFAST - Gorgeous tasting food at the breakfast buffets every morning and if you’re late they move the breakfast outside after if you miss it which is a great idea! Because we overslept a few mornings but we made it to the late breakfasts most days after half 10.
SURF AND TURF DINNER- we only went to see what it was like really both of us where very keen on the lobster or prawns but we are not really into that kind of squishy sea foods.
THE RESTURANTES - lots to choose from at the RIU, but always book 48h before you go as we could not get a table some days which was a shame because we would always seem to book too late 
Mine and Craig’s favourite was the Mexican restaurant, we had never tried Mexican before so was a new experience. Food was really yummy but what really stood out for us was the fun they have with the guests they even give you shots and bang them on the table to fizz and ask you to give it a go (tequila slammers) we even got pictures of us and the waiters, with the Mexican hats in the restaurant :).
Then you have you other restaurants - Japanese, Italian, steakhouse and fusion cuisines, Craig is quite picky with his food so didn’t fancy trying the Japanese or Fusion cuisines restaurants. We went to the Italian one, not the best Italian we have ever had but it was ok. All the restaurants interiors within the hotel are very modern and clean looking.
We really like the Sports Bar - Craig had plenty of hot dogs from the hot dog stand and you could even have nachos and cheese too. We even watched a boxing game with some of the locals, and used the computers to facebook people back home to say what a great time we were having! To make them all jealous of course! :D
People
---------
Everyone seemed lovely, we wished we’d made more friends, however we did meet 2 friendly older women from Atlanta who we spoke to about the Boston bombings that happened at the time we were in Cancun. We spoke to another group of American on a night out we had also about the bombings as well, could not help but say about how much I loved their accents, and they loved ours ha-ha!
NIGHTLIFE
---------------
I would recommend doing the bar crawls organised by the Thompson rep Tara, she was fab. We met everyone else at Carlos and Charlie’s (very lively bar where we got a free tall cocktail funnel thing which was very funny, and a large group of us went from there to Daddyo’s which had a crazy rotating dance floor (which in heels is not easy to keep your balance while dancing about) we all then headed to Sweet Club and last to the famous Coco Bongo’s as well, but it was way too busy, but I got up on the stage dancing anyway. Overall great night! we went back to the hotel for hot dogs after that from the sports bar to sober up a bit.

Other things to do
------------------
We arranged with aqua tours to go paragliding if you have never done it before would recommend it.
One of the excursions we paid for was a day at Isla Mujeres, Just 25 minutes from Cancun so we could go and swim with dolphins, had such an amazing time but was very upset to find out we had to pay for separate pictures and they were extremely expensive, so if you go as a family bring alot with you if you want the dolphin pictures! Isla Mujeres is a beautiful place, we went to Garrafon Park after the dolphins and was a little disappointed because the one thing we wanted to do there was the kayaking had been closed because water was too rocky :( so we just chilled on the beds in the sun or slept in the hammocks till we went as everything else involved heights which I am not very good with.
Entertainment evening was a bit naff to be honest we got a little bored.
Gym - small gym was usually very quiet but we used it about 3 times over the 10 days. Craig was disappointed because the weights were not big enough for him haha!
SPA- right next to the gym area, me and Craig were going to do the moonlight massage but was very expensive ( as were most of the treatment really )so we decided to use the money for something else instead.
TIPS
----------
Bring more money they you think you will need!
Book restaurant nights 48h before!
Watch out for the Iguana comeing out from the rocks on the beach , great for pictures!
Use high factors in April 50+ and we still burnt!
April is a perfect time of year to go the weather was beautiful most days, did not rain once within the 10 days we were there and only some occasional cloud, but plenty of sun!
---------------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR THE FOLLOWING THINGS BELOW THIS HOTEL IS FOR YOU!
ROMANTIC RESTURANTES!
VERY CLEAN HOTEL AND ROOMS!
FRIENDLY STAFF WHO COULD NOT DO MORE TO HELP YOU!
A QUICK TAXI RIDE TO THE STRIP WITH ALL YOUR BARS AND CLUBS AND NIGHTLIFE!
BEAUTIFUL QUIET BEACH AREA WITH COVES AND WHITE SAND AND CLEAR WATER!
INCREDIBLE FOOD ALWAYS COOKED PERFECTLY

My dreams came true the day I arrived in Cancun!

Room Tip: Most rooms have a fab view anyways :)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank CRAZYCATLADY22
Washington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Check in, no probs. requested a high floor, got the 10th, happy with that. Good, pleasant service from all on the front desk.
Room. 6ft comy bed, wall mounted flat screen, fridge with beer, water and soft drinks. Wall mounted spirit dispenser for those wish to drink in their room/balcony?!. All rooms face the sea, plenty of lifts, quick and quiet. We had a junior suite, which backs onto the lifts, but never heard one, day or night.
Cleaned to a high standard, Angela the housekeeper left us towel animals most days. Shower, toilet and basin areas clean and worked well.
Pool. Cleaned daily, all day! Those guys never stopped! The pool boys never stopped bringing drinks etc, never really let me have an empty glass.
Grounds. Immaculate, attended to all day, only gripe, a couple of days where the lawn mowers droned on for an hour or two, but hey, it doesn't cut itself!
Food. Great buffet selection, huge salad selection, with cold meats too. Hot beef, pork, chicken daily, cooked differently, plus burgers etc for kids if required. Also fantastic fish, salmon, snapper etc. We ate there daily, best buffet food I have ever had, from the best buffet selection I've ever seen
The restaurants. We dined at the Steakhouse, poor, both my wife and I were disappointed, the buffet steaks were better. Krystal, the hotels "posh" restaurant, well, as a guy that likes his food ale n hearty, this was a joke, food that didn't resemble food? Really poor.
Mexicana, surely you can't go wrong with Mexican food in Mexico, and we were right, it was spot on, really good.
Didn't do the Japanese or Italian as we were so disappointed with the others, apart from the Mexican.
Staff. Really good, prompt service wherever you were, from the concierge opening the door, to the pool boys, barmen, and waiting staff.
We were told that tipping went a long way, we tipped the housekeeper £1 per day, the pool boys £2 and that got you great service all day, other waiters 50p per service, not a lot to me, but seemed to work, we were never without a drink, (£1= 40 pesos ish). I broke the handle on my case, asked at the desk if one of the tech guys could take a look, returned fixed, foc, great service.
Entertainment. Young team round the pool, thought it a bit loud to start with, but began to enjoy it after a couple of days, could be a bit risque at times if you aren't broad minded! Evenings had either music or a show on, not for me, typical holiday ents, not great, but not bad either.
Shopping. Taxi from the from of the hotel, seems to be 150 pesos, (£7) to go to the malls, or downtown, but agree this as you get in, else he can charge what he wants! Apparently the bus is about 3 pesos,(15p) but is an experience! I.e, crammed, may or may not stop, you need to fight your way off, and may not even go to where it says on the front! Mall prices are western prices, Market 28 is the place to go to haggle.
Coco Bongos, we went VIP, tipped the waiter £10 at the beginning of the night, and never wanted for anything, he kept us topped up all night, and we were topped up! Great, but tacky, show, but a great laugh and great night out.

Flew with Thomson, premium economy, on time both ways, exclusive check in dodged long queues both ways. Comfy seats, great legroom, ok entertainment. Food seems to be the same as the rest of the plane, only served on crockery, with real cutlery. Free drinks, spirits, wine, beer, didn't see anyone overdo it, so ok. Cases took ages to arrive on the belt tho, possibly due to premium being sent through earlier than most due to not having to queue? You can't have it all!
Be sure to have 20 peso notes on arrival, as chances are you'll be mugged by a porter! But, he'll get you to you rep, steer you through the crowds, and load your cases, all for a quid! One guy didn't have anything smaller than a tenner, (200peso) that was a bit steep!

Overall, great from start to finish, can't understand where some of the poor reviews come from, tip a little, lend yourself to the Mexican way, and it makes it easy. Smiles work both ways!

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Bmg760
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

We went to the Riu Peninsula Aug 21st for 2 weeks. What an amazing time we have had, there was not one thing we could fault. The food was brilliant plenty to choose from with plenty of restaurants for evenings where you fancied a change. The entertainment team well what can i say they are a credit to the hotel each and everyone of them became a friend and made our holiday. Omar, Juan, Israel are just a few to mention who do the entertainment day and night and work so hard. In total their were 7 of us ages from 50, 47, 38, 33 16, 17 and 2 so there was something for everyone. The pools were always clean and the bedrooms. The staff round the pool never stopped asking us throughout the day if we wanted drinks, we never once had to go to the bar. We would definitely go again and to be honest i think we are going to find it hard to beat this hotel. Ignore the bad reviews some people you just cant please, these people are better off staying at home in their own company.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank martin802013
Dobbs Ferry, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

I absolutely loved my stay at the Riu Palace Peninsula. The food was fantastic, the servers were friendly and outgoing, the rooms were beautiful and over all it was just an amazing experience. The pools are just as wonderful as the ocean and it couldn't have been a better trip. I'd recommend it to anyone, with only the best regards.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
Hotel Riu Caribe
Hotel Riu Caribe
#46 of 182 in Cancun
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,270 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula? Share your experiences!