“Very relaxing ...”

Ranked #20 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Very relaxing ...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was our first visit to a Riu hotel and we were very impressed by the whole experience.
I believe the hotel is only a year old and is tastefully decorated in a modern boutique style. For those that prefer the more colonial look I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
The entire staff work tirelessly to make your stay relaxing and enjoyable.
Our room was 720 and we had the most fantastic view over the gardens and pool area and the ocean beyond.
As it is all inclusive we had fully stocked fridge with water, beer, lemonade and cola which was restocked every day. On the wall above there were 4 spirits ... Vodka, Rum, Brandy and of course Tequila ! If you are a Gin or Whisky drinker you only need to inform reception and they will change one of them for you.
Our maid 'Rosa' kept our room spotlessly clean throughout our 14 night stay and of course the lovely towel animals and Rose petals on our bed!
There was a huge choice of food at breakfast as there was at lunch and both of these are buffet style.
Evening meals you had a choice of the Italian, the Mexican, the Japanese, the Steakhouse, the A La Carte or the buffet. The Italian and the buffet you simply walked in but the other 4 you need to book at reception the day before preferably. Each of these 4 restaurants have 2 sittings and we never encountered a problem booking.
I can honestly say we've never been to a hotel with so many sun loungers, so there's no 6am alarm call to secure a bed thankfully. For those that prefer not to lay in full sun, I can assure you there is plenty of shaded areas around the pools.
Waiters from the pool bar seem to run around all day long with trays fully laden with drinks, so you'll never ever get thirsty or dehydrate.
The entertainment and fitness teams by the main pool have something going on all the time from 10am till about 2pm. If I was going to be picky I'd enlarge their music selection and genres!

I think I've covered everything so to sum up ... great hotel, fantastic staff, food for everyone and an abundance of sun loungers and shady areas !

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view and ours was the 7th and it was lovely. We were 4 rooms aw...
5 Thank maxitup1966

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,319)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Mansfield, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at the Riu Palace Peninsula May 11-May 18. We were on the 16th floor (paid for a superior view room... worth the extra money to us) and had a fantastic view. First off the rooms were the standard run of the mill rooms but the view more than makes up for the plain standard hotel style rooms.
We ate at most of the a la carte resturants; you do need to be at the reservation desk early to make sure you get to eat where you want. You need to book for the following day. They will not let you book more than one day out at a time. You do not need reservations for the Italian and it is very good. The steak house was our favorite. The Mexican was OK. We did not like the Krystal at all... I'm sure that was just our pallet (fusion)
The only down side (not really a problem) is that you need to keep up with towel cards... and you can only get 1 towel per person.

We have stayed at the Palace Resorts and the Now resorts and this Riu is just as good. I would say the food was even better!

Note: I noticed that the villas were only 3 floors high and had a restricted view of the ocean so be aware if you decided to book the villas.

Overall I would go back without hesitation. Would recommend that they change the reservations for dinner and towel cards.

Room Tip: Villas have restricted ocean view. The superior view is 10 floors or higher. Worth the extra money...
4 Thank Denae W
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

luxury 5 stars hotel, nice and well trained stuff always happy to help, food delicious and awesome views from the room and great en. great entertainment during the evening, i'd wished to come back there. i really recommend it.

1 Thank mofficzka
stansbury park, utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed the week of 5/12/13 and it was absolutely amazing. I thought the Riu Palace Pacifico in Puerto Vallarta was great, but the Peninsula outdid them. Our wedding went off without a hitch, and was quite reasonably priced. We could not be more pleased with a hotel ever! The food at the buffet was perfect, we must have gained ten pounds. Elio at the Steakhouse made our wedding dinner turn out wonderful with steak and lobster. The jacuzzi suite is great and well worth the extra. The breeze off the ocean was amazing 24/7. Alcohol on tap in the rooms refilled daily. Unlike a lot of all inclusive hotels, they will make the drinks as strong as you want! The only drawback is the rocky beach, but plenty enough sand area if you look for it. Housekeeping is immaculate. Stay in the tower rooms, not the villas, which have the adult pool that can be used by anyone. Villas have no view to speak of, but bigger jacuzzis. Wedding was the best. We brought a family member to photo shoot, use the Internet for ideas.

Room Tip: Jacuzzi suite deluxe, nice breeze worth the money.
3 Thank kingofsling
kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Absolutely perfect. I don't know how anyone can say bad things about this place. Second time to cancun but will definitely be coming back to this hotel if we return. The staff can't do enough for you, not one bad experience in the 2 weeks we were there. Customer service at its best. The hotel was immaculate and all day you see staff cleaning, over and over again. They really do go all out. People saying the beach is a bit small, it may be compared to other hotels but there were always more then enough free sun beds. The food here is the best I've experienced at any 5 star hotel. So much to choose from and all cooked fresh in front of you.

Room Tip: I'm pretty sure all have sea views but I'd recommend the hotel rather than a villa room for...
1 Thank Jones2009
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

I've traveled quite a bit, and have stayed at All Inclusive hotels often. That being said, I must say that this has been the best experience at an All Inclusive hotel. The staff is the friendliest staff, always going a step further to please you. The rooms are spotless, as is the lobby and the rest of the facilities. The food at the restaurants is top quality and there is a lot of variety. The bar services are great, and there is a mini bar in each room!
The beach is great although a little bit rocky, but still great. And the hotel also includes free rentals of snorkels, kayaks, and even sailboats!
Great location as well.
I definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JuanCarlosRG
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

This was my second time in Mexico, the first was 6months ago and I stayed in the Thomson Sensatori hotel and have to say this hotel rivaled it. The location was loads better if you didn't want to go anywhere you didn't have to but if you wanted the town where coco bongos and the shopping centers were is only a 10min taxi ride and about £7.50.
The rooms in this hotel are great they look like the kinds of rooms you'd see in vegas very modern and swanky. They had optics full of Smirnoff, whisky, gin and tequila and a mini fridge full of bottles of pepsi, beer sprite and water. the beds are huge if you are with your partner I would request a king bed rather than 2 doubles. huge shower and double sink area and a sofa and desk area. Balcony big enough with 2 chairs and a table, views gorgeous, I stayed on level 4 and had more than adequate view of the sea and pool area it was gorgeous I can only assume the view from higher floors would be nicer but I was blown away on a low floor anyway. The only thing I would pick about the room is that the bath plug was a bit grubby and looked like your typical Mexican drains so was put off using it.
I was apprehensive about the noise from the theatre at night for getting to sleep but had no problems.
The food was nice in the buffet restaurant similar foods most days but nice choice for picky people like my partner like steaks and fries and pizzas. We only tried the speciality steak restaurant but that was a nice experience, if I had to pick I think they could change the menu a bit only had 2 choices for main course and a set starter and dessert.
Snacks through the day were ok ice-creams and there is a little café cappuchino that did milkshakes, lattes and cakes.
The sports bar was nice and have most premier league games on an a fridge of snack like sandwiches, fruit, nachos and burgers.
All bars were great make you any drink you asked for and they didn't skimp on the alcohol.
Pool side entertainment was fab even if your just watching it was a laugh doing competitions, ice sculpting, professional break dancers were great.
Beach was ok I don't normally like sunbathing on beach and only went on it briefly but the water was s clear and could snorkel in it there is a side where the beach is more rocky but another side is smooth sand.
Overall the holiday was fab thoroughly enjoyed my holiday here and would recommend and return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rachel g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
Hotel Riu Caribe
Hotel Riu Caribe
#46 of 182 in Cancun
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,272 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Peninsula? Share your experiences!